PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge Audio CD3M/DAC3 - seminal Stan Curtis design

Tweedle-Dee
03-01-2011, 17:46
Well with my clear out of classic CD players progressing, I have decided to list another rare and desireable player that I have had for 2 years. It is an extremely rare 2 box 'stretched' version of the classic Cambridge Audio CD3.

The transport (CD3M) unit features the excellent CDM1 mk2 mechanism and the separate DAC (DAC3) is unique in that it has 4 x TDA1541A S1 chips. Great attention has been paid to the power supplies and select components are used throughout. Both units have matching serial numbers and originally belonged to a HiFi reviewer and writer in a popular publication. I have all original packaging and paperwork and original remote control. The condition of these units is very good and I would say they were kept carefully serviced.

I was stunned by the bass response when I first heard this player; it is both deft and deep. Soundstaging is excellent as well, with well projected midrange and nice treble extension. It easily outperforms a Marantz CD12/DA12 that I compared it to.

I realise that some folk may only be interested in one of the units, but I would really like to keep them together. I am not aware of any other combo being used anywhere - I have seen 2 of the CD3M units for sale as faulty and 2 DAC3s that drew great interest.

If anyone here is interested, I am open to offers as I don't know what to list this for as a combo. I will try to upload photos tomorrow - unfortunately the TDA1541As have heat sinks on them, so I can't show you the dates, etc, but I will include external and internal photos of the units.

I would be delighted to answer any questions.

Many thanks,
TD.

Tweedle-Dee
04-01-2011, 19:28
http://s772.photobucket.com/albums/yy3/Tweedle-Dee12/

Struggling with uploading these - I will try add more when I can work it all out...

The Grand Wazoo
04-01-2011, 23:27
Hi David.
Here's a link that points you to all the places that matter on AoS to find out how to do that stuff and more. There is a tutorial that is linked to which guides you through the whole process -guaranteed, no bloodshed!

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7549

Tweedle-Dee
11-01-2011, 21:16
Thanks for that - very helpfully.

Fortunately the item is now sold - thanks for the interest

Kind regards,
TD