PDA

View Full Version : Puzzling problem with brother in law's system

montesquieu
03-01-2011, 10:15
Am still visiting the relatives, won't be home for a few days yet. But looking for advice on a troubling problem with the brother in law's system. He is a complete hifi illiterate but had help from someone local who put the following together for him:

Reasonable DVD player with RCA outs to a pre (he uses this for watching films as well); quite nice Denon DD deck which seems to be in good fettle - cheapo AT MM cartridge though; Conrad Johnson PV10 preamp, and a Bill Beard EL84 amp with six tubes each side (three each side in push-pull). Chario Syntra 100T speakers which have three drivers, one labelled a 'subwoofer' driving out of the bottom.

Anyway, the system is sounding terrible: zero bass (from either TT or CD player), lightweight mids and an overblown too-airy upper range. Seriously I've heard better out of a Roberts radio. My guess it's putting out zippo below 80hz.

I'd never heard of the Charios but they seem to have been reviewed well, though at 88db/4ohm my suspicion is that the wee Beard amp is struggling to drive them.

Cables (speaker cables and interconnects) are cheapest of the cheap lamp wire, I'm going to post him something better out of my bits box but I doubt that can be the main issue.

Should I bite the bullet and tell him to replace his speakers? Or can anyone think of something I'm obviously missing? I thought about adding a sub but my feeling is it would need to be right up around 90hz for the xover.

I've done what I can with speaker placement and sorting out the wiring issues (speakers were out of phase and power amp wired wrongly left right :doh:) and it's sounding better than before I arrived .. but there's still no weight at the bottom end. If they were tiny bookshelf jobs I'd be going for a sub no worries, but they aren't - they should be able to do better than this.

He bought this system after staying at ours a year ago (he had old Pioneer gear from the 80s before that, which actually wasn't that bad for uncritical listening), I haven't seen him since but he was obviously trying to copy what he heard at my place, without wanting to ask me specifically for advice (it's taken me 30 years of 'interest' in hifi and probably 6-7 years of more recent box-swopping to get where I've got to).

His wife (the wife's sister) is giving him shit for spending money blindly only to make the sound worse, and on some level I think he deserves it ... no wonder he never mentioned it to me.

Oh and he's overseas on 100v power ... if he was local I'd just buy him the pair of Snell Ks that are on ebay right now and be done with it. I have a few days left to help him out .... any ideas?

montesquieu
03-01-2011, 10:34
Sorry guys put this in the wrong place. :doh:

mole0937
04-01-2011, 01:09
Sorry guys put this in the wrong place. :doh:
Tom, I used a pair of Chario's with a couple of Bill Beard mono blocks with fantastic results,bass was superb and this was from a couple of Standmount Chario Milleniums ,so I shouldn't think the problem is the Chario's,hope you find the solution without spending to much of your brotheringlaws money.
Martin

The Grand Wazoo
04-01-2011, 01:10
I think you may find that the Conrad Johnson pre-amp inverts absolute phase. This is possibly not at the root of the problem, but it should be taken into account, none the less.

Stratmangler
04-01-2011, 02:49
I think 88 dB/W/M @ 4ohm should also be taken into consideration - 88 dB/W/M @ 8 ohm should be relatively benign; @ 4 ohm you're looking at twice the amount of current delivery required for the same SPLs.

MartinT
04-01-2011, 07:32
Tom - are you sure that the Chario's 'subwoofers' are working? There aren't separate connections for them by any chance?

DSJR
04-01-2011, 11:48
From memory, Charios have a rich tonal balance. Sounds like the bass units aren't working properly, if at all :scratch:

Inverting the absolute phase can make a difference on some systems (but not others I found), but not to this extent...

montesquieu
08-01-2011, 20:47
Now back home, didn't get to the bottom of this at all before leaving, but thanks for the suggestions. The subs were working (could feel them vibrating under the fingers) but clearly something wrong.

So much face in Chinese culture though ... hard to be straight about what to recommend. He's not like 'us' either in the sense that if something we like isn't working in our setup, we flog it and try something else, he's at the mercy of people I don't know and possibly even couldn't communicate with.

I've recommended he swop in a SS amp and see what happens (his son has quite a chunky Marantz which I think should wake the Charios up quite nicely).

Mr Pig
09-01-2011, 10:19
Could it be the valves?

I don't know anything about valves, just a suggestion.