PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Exciting Suffolk, Whoop Whoop!

Primalsea
01-08-2008, 10:12
I've just joined this forum so it seemed proper to do a small intro. I will also post some system pics shortly in the gallery. Hopefully someone will find my fairly humble system interesting :)

I've been into Hifi for a relatively short time, around 6 years. In that time I've steadily clawed my way through the upgrade path. I started with solid state gear but was seduced by the "She who waits below" of the Hifi world; the stuff of valves.

I find that my own experience is invaluable to me, however so is the experience of others. What I really detest is the way some individuals have their own agenda and ram their doctrine down your throat. What I like about this forum is that the opposite seems to happen here.

Marco
01-08-2008, 10:32
Hi Primalsea,

Welcome to the forum :) What's your first name?

Thanks for your comments. We try to be as open-minded as possible, embracing old and new technology with hi-fi - valves or solid-state, it doesn't matter. There is no brand loyalty or 'flat earth'/'round earth' nonsense here - just a devotion to good sound and great music.

We look forward to reading what you have to say about hi-fi and music and to seeing pictures of your system however "humble" it is.

Have fun!

Marco.

Primalsea
01-08-2008, 10:44
Oh sorry about that, how rude of me. Its Paul.

Marco
01-08-2008, 10:48
Hi Paul,

Welcome. If you could add your first name to your signature under posts that would be much appreciated :)

Marco.

Mike
01-08-2008, 10:54
Hi Paul,... and welcome to AoS. Nice to see more WD folk visiting! :)

Primalsea
01-08-2008, 12:13
Marco, Done!

Mike, I recognised your handle so guessed it must be you. Is that the same Greg from WD who I saw on here too??

Mike
01-08-2008, 12:16
Yup...

And a few others too. :)

StanleyB
01-08-2008, 12:59
Welcome Paul. Never been to Suffolk myself. The M25 orbital is far enough for me...

Ali Tait
02-08-2008, 14:31
Hi Paul,
Yes it's me too...:)

Primalsea
02-08-2008, 16:48
Is this forum one of the "Others" that some of the guys mentioned they were frequenting in some of their posts on the WD forum??

You know, that time when the got a barrage of abuse just because they dared to mentioned another forum while on WD.

Ali Tait
02-08-2008, 16:59
May have been Paul,but they were probably talking about Audio-Talk,which is where Nick G et al hang out nowadays.It's hung off the Slatedeck site,though I believe there's a link from here somwhere.

Primalsea
02-08-2008, 17:09
Peter told me that some people moved to another forum which he kind of gave the impression was a bit hard core.

Ali Tait
02-08-2008, 17:31
Not hard core at all IMHO.It's one of the friendliest forums around,just more focussed on scratch-building than most.They make everyone welcome though.It was only started because they got tired of people slagging them off for trying to help them.

Primalsea
02-08-2008, 18:04
Sorry, when I meant hard core I meant as in, well as you put it actually "focused on scratch-building than most"

I strayed from the WD forum for a while and haven't really been back because a couple of times I was at the shi**ty end of the stick. Puts you off really, me anyway but to be fair there are (were?) a lot of good guys there.

Marco
02-08-2008, 18:43
May have been Paul,but they were probably talking about Audio-Talk,which is where Nick G et al hang out nowadays.It's hung off the Slatedeck site,though I believe there's a link from here somwhere.

Indeed there is - in our links box (in alphabetical order):

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=123#post123

Great forum. We're just as friendly, though ;)

You'll not get any of the treatment you describe above, Paul, on AOS (or on Audio Talk).

Marco.

DSJR
02-08-2008, 21:01
Hi Paul, another refugee from Suffolk!

I'm not sure there are many audio people in this county and the one (now flat earth) dealer not too far from me sells to outside of the county I understand and another local one may close due to retirement later this year...

What sort of valve gear do you have/are you into? This is now my third "valve era" and in some ways it's the most enjoyable as I haven't spent much money getting there this time.....

Primalsea
02-08-2008, 21:19
I live close to the Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Essex border so there are a few dealers close by:Chew & Osbourne Safron Walden - Never been there, Sevenoaks Cambridge - Limited range but good guys, Audio File Cambridge - Hmmmm, Huges Cambridge - Not really used but they seem OK, World Designs - worth a visit, AN Audio - Never been there, Theres also a guy somewhere near Bury St Edmunds but I've never been there either. Suffolks a big place though so if you live in the bit thats no where near most dealers your in for a long drive.

I have WD stuff and there are some pics and info in the systems section if you want a peek.

Can someone explain to me exactly what a Flat Earther is, I've heard it many times but have not been into hifi that long so not really sure what it means.

What part of Suffolk are you in

DSJR
02-08-2008, 21:47
I'll be lynched for this, but flat earthers "used" to own Linn and Naim equipment, more often than not, that often made the most horrendous noises (I used to sell the stuff for all my shame) yet the owners boogied away, not caring whether the noises emanating from their squeakers were "real" in any shape or form. Contrast that with the totally objective "round earthers" of old - pipe, slippers 'n brylcreem, with systems that sounded very natural yet sent one to sleep when trying to play rock 'n roll... having said that, I first heard some Chapman Dynastatics on Pink Floyd to very good effect.....

I think today is best - old gear can be freshened up no end, records are sounding better than ever and you can get natural sounding systems that boogie too, using glowing bottles or well designed ss circuits (yes folks, they do exist.....).

Primalsea
03-08-2008, 07:50
Cheers for that it makes some sense now you've explained it.

Beechwoods
04-08-2008, 12:11
Can someone explain to me exactly what a Flat Earther is

Funny you should ask:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7540427.stm

:lol: