PDA

View Full Version : PSU's

MCRU
02-01-2011, 19:39
Just arranging all my gear and plumbing in a Belkin PF30 (after my Isotek Aquarius went to pastures new), thought I may as well give the Belkin a go seeing as it is built like a tank and cost beer money.

Anyway being a mains person I just can't stand that weedy thin cable coming from my SL1210 but don't have the necessary funds presently to get a Paul Hynes PSU, is there anything around £50-£100 that will do the job until funds allow?

Thanks

David

Reid Malenfant
02-01-2011, 19:54
Anyway being a mains person I just can't stand that weedy thin cable coming from my SL1210 but don't have the necessary funds presently to get a Paul Hynes PSU, is there anything around £50-£100 that will do the job until funds allow?
Not really David no ;) In reality you'd still need a regulated 21V supply to replace what's in the Techie. You might be able to find a 24V regulated supply on fleabay & adjust it to 21V DC, but then unless you know what you are looking at you might end up with the same kind of quality as the internal regulator. That'd be a waste of cash :eyebrows:

Save your money & get where you want to go in one step chap ;)

colinB
02-01-2011, 20:00
Just arranging all my gear and plumbing in a Belkin PF30 (after my Isotek Aquarius went to pastures new), thought I may as well give the Belkin a go seeing as it is built like a tank and cost beer money.

Thanks

David

The DIY regulator that Paul Hynes makes , the one Leo made , costs around £130 i think. A torroidal and a case from Maplins and a lead and your of.
Ive been meaning to get one from paul but i keep whimping out but you could do one no probs, especially with Leos excellant thread on the subject.

colinB
02-01-2011, 20:02
By the way, how does the Belkin compare with the Aquarius?

MCRU
02-01-2011, 20:11
By the way, how does the Belkin compare with the Aquarius?

Aquarius £795

Belkin £25

I hope it's some where near as good (lol) but who knows as its not all working yet.

Fingers crossed though Colin and thanks for asking.

Reid Malenfant
02-01-2011, 20:16
I thought i'd take a look on fleabay for you David, waste of time m8, all i could find were switchmodes & that's the last thing you need :eyebrows: A regulated bench PSU for testing might do the job but it wouldn't be cheap :rolleyes:

Colins suggestion is a good one to get a quality PSU on the cheap :)

colinB
02-01-2011, 20:25
Aquarius £795

Belkin £25

I hope it's some where near as good (lol) but who knows as its not all working yet.

Fingers crossed though Colin and thanks for asking.

I dont understand mains strips at all. Once had a basic 6 way by Isotek. Didnt notice any diff. replaced it with Merlin black widow , build was not as good but the noise floor dropped significantly:scratch: