PDA

View Full Version : Headphone amp..Still looking!

Rare Bird
02-01-2011, 15:40
I've come to the realisation that i'll never listern to speakers again ( i just can't get any to sound right at the very low level i have to listern) :( hence i need a really good headphone amp that at home with low impedence headphones. anyone??

I'd like a black one without power supply built in!

colinB
02-01-2011, 15:50
I was looking for a amp for low impedence cans and the graham slee novo kept coming up. I had a conversation with the man himself about it and almost bought the kit he does for about £100 but i couldnt convice my self it would be much better than the output socket on my amp.

Rare Bird
02-01-2011, 20:21
I quite like the look of that Meier Audio Corda Swing & Matching Stagedac. Anyone know owt abart em?

Jac Hawk
02-01-2011, 20:49
Why can't you crank the volume up mate?

Rare Bird
02-01-2011, 20:55
Why can't you crank the volume up mate?

Man you don't know what our neighbours are like, flush the shit house & you'll get a warning in your letter box for noise.

Jac Hawk
02-01-2011, 21:07
Man you don't know what our neighbours are like, flush the shit house & you'll get a warning in your letter box for noise.
:lolsign::lolsign: mate my sympathies, i'm lucky my neighbours are as deff as posts. :eyebrows:

technobear
02-01-2011, 21:18
Your neighbours sound like a barrel of laughs :mental:

Have you considered the A.N.T. Amber SE?

http://www.time-step.com/distribution/ant%20headphone.html

http://www.time-step.com/distribution/images/amber-front.jpg http://www.time-step.com/distribution/images/amber-back.jpg

Sounded great with Denon AH-D2000 and Denon AH-D7000 (or was it D5000 :scratch:)

Reid Malenfant
02-01-2011, 21:20
You have my sympathies to Andr'e :( Have you thought about assisted suicide (for them - not you :eyebrows:) & don't say every day :)

Man that'd really do my head in :mental:

Rare Bird
02-01-2011, 21:42
You have my sympathies to Andr'e :( Have you thought about assisted suicide (for them - not you :eyebrows:) & don't say every day :)

Man that'd really do my head in :mental:

Block full of OAP's that sit in total silence all day watching & listerning, we are the only middle age in the block.I don't speak to any of them for obvious reasons, music on it'll be five against one, who's the council gonna believe, cos they all stick together..However would i rather live in a very pieceful block with OAP's or rowdy block full of idiots & druggies worring all day weither our pads been broken into, this is the thing.

Reid Malenfant
02-01-2011, 21:48
Block full of OAP's that sit in total silence all day watching & listerning, we are the only middle age in the block.I don't speak to any of them for obvious reasons, music on it'll be five against one, who's the council gonna believe, cos they all stick together..However would i rather live in a very pieceful block with OAP's or rowdy block full of idiots & druggies worring all day weither our pads been broken into, this is the thing.
I can see where you are coming from, headphones will no doubt keep you happier & still pretty safe ;) Sounds like you are surrounded by the local neighbourhood watch :eyebrows: & listen unfortunately...

Jac Hawk
02-01-2011, 21:48

Go round when they're asleap and and hide their hearing aids :eyebrows: job done and a lot cheaper than a new amp me thinks. :):)

colinB
02-01-2011, 22:31
For the price of a new amp i know some people in South London that can sort it for you.

technobear
02-01-2011, 22:33
Of course, this is what you really want Andre:

http://www.spl.info/fileadmin/user_upload/fotos/Phonitor_black_front.jpg

Rare Bird
02-01-2011, 22:42
Aye plenty cutter anorl

Jac Hawk
02-01-2011, 22:43
Of course, this is what you really want Andre:

http://www.spl.info/fileadmin/user_upload/fotos/Phonitor_black_front.jpg

Makes you go all weak at the knees, nowt better than a pair of sexy VU's, i wonder how they look in the dark :):)

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
03-01-2011, 13:07
Andre

I would take a look at the Ray Samuels headphone amps.
He does a reasonable range of them, portable and normal use
I have heard the 'Raptor' and 'Protector' if I remember correctly.
I was impressed with both, build quality and sound.
You don't see many in the UK, but worth a serious look at.
Hope it helps.

Andy - SDDW

Rare Bird
03-01-2011, 13:27
Thanks Andy
I was looking at the 'Raptor' the other day, looks very nice..

JazzBones
03-01-2011, 18:47

I guess I qualify as an OAP as I'm retired, collect my company and state pension which I worked for but I certainly don't sit in total silence all day and certainly don't chuck my beer cans on the road or stab people :rolleyes: For starters I'm on this forum and learn from it. I have listened to music on reproduction systems as they evolve over the years, and I can spell Peaceful... No apologies for this but there are alot of guys on this forum who get alot pleasure listening to gear made by my father's and grandfather's era and thats going back sometime. Give you fifty years and you could be sitting in silence wondering where all the years have gone..... Just a thought for the day:ner:

roob
03-01-2011, 18:52
Burson HA 160 seems well thought of
There is an Earmax for sale in the pfm classifieds.
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=91680

technobear
03-01-2011, 19:17
Burson HA 160 seems well thought of
There is an Earmax for sale in the pfm classifieds.
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=91680

Trouble with the Burson is it ain't available in proper hifi colour, only in lifestyle colour.

I have owned one and it sounds great. It is especially good at taming sibilance. Both my phones are prone to this on cheaper gear. Not on the Burson. It's a nice piece of work and superbly well made too. But it wasn't black so alas it had to go.

I believe Andre also wanted an external power supply so that rules out the Burson (and the Phonitor for that matter :doh:).

The Earmax looks interesting assuming it's the black one. I haven't heard one though.

Rare Bird
03-01-2011, 19:38
I can spell Peaceful...

take an hike sunshine

Marco
03-01-2011, 20:10
Dude, I think you've mistaken Ron's (admittedly rather poor - lol) attempt at humour....

Although, Ron, I wouldn't advise anyone to take the piss out of other people's spelling ;)

Anyway, chaps, I think a group hug is in order! :grouphug:

Marco.

technobear
03-01-2011, 20:37
Anyway, how do we know it was a spelling error :scratch:

Andre's pad might be full of pieces - or even falling to pieces for all we know :lol:

Rare Bird
03-01-2011, 20:37
only thing thats falling to pieces is my patience on here

JazzBones
03-01-2011, 23:17
Dude, I think you've mistaken Ron's (admittedly rather poor - lol) attempt at humour....

Although, Ron, I wouldn't advise anyone to take the piss out of other people's spelling ;)

Anyway, chaps, I think a group hug is in order! :grouphug:

Marco.

Marco, I regret you had to jump in and defuse the possibility of an altercation via postings herein, I've seen it on other forums and it is distasteful. I unwittingly walked into a room where OAPs are, in my opinion, negatively categorized to the point of ridicule ie, 'sitting and staring in silence' and so on. My wording of protest should have been better constructed and thought out before I pressed the 'Submit Reply' button but the deed has been done.

If a person of far longer membership and a far greater quantity of postings wishes/ invites me to 'take an hike' then I will do so if required and leave it to the young folk. All I ask is that the older person be shown some consideration of worth and not be thought of as spoilers of other peoples' perceived, or otherwise, enjoyment
and fun. We can all learn from each other, yes?

That effing old codger, Ron :peace:

JazzBones
03-01-2011, 23:18
:goodnight::)

Marco
03-01-2011, 23:35
Hi Ron,

No worries, mate. Thanks for the explanation. I'm sure Andre will appreciate it. We're all big boys, so I'm sure we can leave it there :)

Marco.

technobear
04-01-2011, 12:45
Meanwhile...

Andre, why does this headphone amp have to have an external power supply?

This requirement rules out some particularly fine examples of the breed.

Techno Commander
04-01-2011, 13:23
That Phonitor is simply gorgeous.:eek:

Reid Malenfant
04-01-2011, 13:28
That Phonitor is simply gorgeous.:eek:
Yes i was taking a nice long look at it ;)

Am i correct in thinking that it can actually make the sound appear to be coming from what i can only describe as the position of a pair of stereo speakers :scratch:

If so then the only thing that puts me off of headphones in any major respect would be eliminated :)

Rare Bird
06-01-2011, 11:44
What about the Figaro anyone, i like the looks of it?, Thing is every tube headphone amp i've had wernt totally electrically quiet!

Welder
06-01-2011, 12:42
Mark, I think the same effect can be achieved with software with some media players.
For example dsp crossfeed in foobar.

technobear
06-01-2011, 12:49
Quietness is very important if you use low impedance phones, not quite so important if you use high impedance phones.

Trouble is more and more of the better phones being produced now are low impedance and high sensitivity so that in theory at least they will work with the accursed iPod :steam:

The likes of the Denon AH-D7000 at 25 ohms and 108dB/mW are a real torture test for any headphone amp. If there is the slightest residual hiss or hum, you're gonna hear it.

Even the AT ATH-M50 at 38 ohms and 99dB/mW allowed me to hear annoying residual hum from my Burson HA-160. The same hum was barely audible when driving the Beyerdynamic DT531 at 250 ohms and I think mid-90's sensitivity.

Planar type phones are a good bet here as they take some serious driving being notoriously insensitive. Here it's more a question of whether the amp is up to the job of providing enough power. Take the HifiMAN HE-6 for example. Many who have tried it say it needs a speaker amp to get the best out of it.

What phones do you own Andre?

Techno Commander
06-01-2011, 12:50
What about the Figaro anyone, i like the looks of it?, Thing is every tube headphone amp i've had wernt totally electrically quiet!

Very well rated amp. Unfortunately discontinued (unless you know otherwise).
Its what i'd choose if I was spending money on such a thing.:)

roob
06-01-2011, 19:43
What about the Figaro anyone
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=figaro+amp&_sacat=See-All-Categories
A bit overpriced as they were only about £85 new but you could make an offer.

alfie2902
06-01-2011, 20:46
Depends on Headphones you plan to use & Budget really!

But, get the Earmax. Lovely little amp!! I love mine.

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss55/alfie2902/IMG_0265-1-1.jpg

The Ray Samuels stuff is very nice too. I've only tried the portables though & have still got a little 'Tomahawk'!

I've been through a good few headamps over the years & still own the 2 above & an 'Headsave classic' another little amp I just couldn't sell.

I enjoyed my Darkvoice & Gilmore Lite amps & never should of sold my Headamp pico portable!