PDA

View Full Version : Does HITECH ever become overwhelming for you?

goraman
02-01-2011, 04:27
Christmass brought a wii game into our lives,I have so much hooked up to the TV now it's crazy,I had to do some creative reroughting and work through the manual to sync it up and get my wife rolling.
I spent most of my vacation going into my laptop's registry,start up and configurations,also tracking down some obscure drivers as my laptop had vista and Toshiba never ment for this lap top to work in window 7. My laptop can now charge USB devices when turned off ,like my Zunes and Ipods.
It runs faster video and I improved the audio and speed of the 4 gigs of ram.
I'm just Technodout !

Anyone else miss the days before civilization Tech.?

John
02-01-2011, 06:57
Awhile back at work we had no use to the computers as its all on its own intranet Most of the office staff had to go home, when I started the company only had 3 computers its amazing how much we now need them

goraman
02-01-2011, 07:28
Everything is getting way to crazy,in 2012 a whole new standered will be set for computing leaveing Apple way behind.
258 bit prossecing X4 ! 64 bit was just the beginning.
Computers will need a min. 100gig.ram!
Ram will no longer be in sticks but boards!
Boards will come in 50 gig or 100 gig.
SS hard drives will hold 500gig to 1 Tarabite.
The future is little to no wait times at all.
Windows 8 and 9 will bring a whole new game.

Remember when a penitum 1 came with 8 megs of ram and the max was 32 and it cost well over $6,000.00 U.S.

The next leap is going to be alot like that to now.

a quad core 128 bit desk top or 128 bit dual core laptop will be able to fill a 500 gig SS hard drive in seconds the only thing to resolve is heat.

http://4sysops.com/archives/windows-7-64-bit-or-32-bit-memory-and-performance/

http://www.geeknewscentral.com/2009/10/08/128-bit-windows-dont-make-me-salivate/

Right now windows 7 Ultimate in a 64 bit can use up to 192 gigs of ram at max. 32 bit can use less than 4 gigs 3.37 gigs. is normal.
128 bit x4 will be like going from a pot belly stove to a 2,000 watt microwave.
I have heard rumers of desk tops holding up to a terabite of ram (10 board slots)!.
Laptops up to a hundred gigs or more!

It really is almost to much,at what point is fast enough,remember Johnathon Livingston Seagull?
It feels something like that to me.

WAD62
02-01-2011, 12:17
Just wait till we 'organic' cpu's and storage!!!

I think the IT landscape will change dramatically over the next few years, with much less emphasis on the 'home computer' market.

In fact I believe the requirement/justification for a 'home computer' will almost disappear for all but a few. What I mean by this is that we will be moving towards the 'cloud' architecture, with thin client devices, and the bulk of our storage/processing requirements being hosted.

In the states 'Wi-Max' is already being rolled out, which effectively will provide full high speed wi-fi access anywhere & everywhere.

Google already provide a passable internet hosted microsoft office alternative, which can happily cater for most small businesses requirements, and can be used by any internet capable device regardless of platform.

Microsoft in particular are bricking themselves...

Within a couple of years I can envisage my FLAC collection being hosted on the web, and being accessible real time anywhere, with all storage requiremans, & disaster recovery etc. taken out of my hands.

Anything and everything will become internet capable...a web enabled DAC will not be far off.

If you think things have changed quickly for you, spare a thought for an old IT fogey like me...

When I started my IT degree in '83 my first program was written in 'assembler' (a bit like building a tank with iron filings) on punched cards, and then loaded, compiled, and executed on a Harris S125, no screens only teletypes!!!

I couldn't find any specs on the above, but within a year the Intel 'Super Brain' was available, this was the stuff of science fiction!!! A screen, floppy discs, and a whopping 32k of RAM, and CP/M (the only game in town before bill gates ripped it off as MS/DOS) wow! an interactive command line operating system...check out the first attached picture, what a beauty!

My first job after uni was as a DBA on one of these (see the second photo), marketed as a 'Mini' computer :lol: the ICL ME29, the OS wasn't even hexadecimal it was octal, 24bit words, and was so mini you could play volleyball over it...data centres were more fun in those days!!!

That's enough nostalgia for one day...nurse! nurse! :)

Jac Hawk
02-01-2011, 12:41
Sorry mate i can't see that kind of leap in what will be now only 1 year. For a start microsoft will want to milk it's new operating system for a while longer me thinks, i mean it's taken them long enough to get it right, what with the trouble they had with vista, secondly there must be hundreds of millions of computers in use worldwide, and even though 64 bit has been around for a while, i would bet most people are still on 32 bit systems, now there are some compatibility issues between 32bit programs running on a 64 bit operating systems, can you imagine what the problems are going to be if you leap from 64 bit to 256 bit, i think you'll find most of your software wouldn't work properly. Now we're still gripped in a global recession so how many people / companies do you think are going to completely scrap the system and software that they use now to go to 256 bit?

Now on saying that for most uses we're not going to see that leap in a year, it will in my opinion be more gradual, it doesn't rule out the use of such macines as servers etc, you might be surprised to find out that most factory automation i.e. the computing power behind the production line or process is still at the pentium level, processing power and Tb's of ram tend to be needed more as servers or in the video games industry / media industry.

So i don't think you need to chuck yer old pc away just yet. :)

Jac Hawk
02-01-2011, 12:45
:)Hey Will, remember the days of the old DEC Alpha's and the Comadore PET, real sturdy pieces of kit

WAD62
02-01-2011, 12:56
SaaS (or software as a service) is increasingly becoming the architecture of choice for business data processing requirements...

If it is browser based what does the chip architecture matter, what are you using to access this site, does it matter so long as you can run a compatible browser?

I could easily write this on my Android phone

Platform agnostic, thin client, mobile is the new mantra

Don't take my word for it check out Gartner, and what they say goes, rightly or wrongly, they are that influential!

It's all back to the future, wi-fi being the 'cable', and the web being the worlds largest hosted 'bureau service'.

Real time processing requirements will always remain local, as you say...CAD/CAM, flow control etc. I'm referring to IT requirements.

I'm a bit too old for the Commodore pet, and the BBC/Acorn, however DEC & DECnet were the stuff of a madman's dreams, real time access of a file held on another computer, surely this can't be real :eek:

Jac Hawk
02-01-2011, 13:16
I'm a bit too old for the Commodore pet, and the BBC/Acorn, however DEC & DECnet were the stuff of a madman's dreams, real time access of a file held on another computer, surely this can't be real :eek:

Back in the 90's i had to go down to Coventry and strip out a load of the old DEC Alphas that Jaguar used to use, can't remember what the language was (pascal i think) and replace several systems with 3 desktop computers, the room the Alphas were in was about 16 foot sq and was air cond cos they kicked out a shed load of heat, unbelievable to think in such short time a thing that took 2 big blokes to lift and filled the entire boot of a volvo 960 could be replaced by something that would sit on the front seat.

Clive
02-01-2011, 13:21
Hey less of the "old DEC Alphas". :) I used to work for Digital and I worked on the very Alphas you took out. They still seem quite recent to me, I started with Digital in the PDP-11 era and then continued into the VAX era.

WAD62
02-01-2011, 13:25
Back in the 90's i had to go down to Coventry and strip out a load of the old DEC Alphas that Jaguar used to use, can't remember what the language was (pascal i think) and replace several systems with 3 desktop computers, the room the Alphas were in was about 16 foot sq and was air cond cos they kicked out a shed load of heat, unbelievable to think in such short time a thing that took 2 big blokes to lift and filled the entire boot of a volvo 960 could be replaced by something that would sit on the front seat.

Whitley or Browns Lane, probably at the Lane if they were production control/real time...oh Pascal, that was a nice language :)

I spent quite a bit of time working for Jag (& Ford too) in the 80's & 90's, hopefully they can carry on being a viable company into the future. Coventry can't afford to loose it, as much for identity as anything. :(

WAD62
02-01-2011, 13:29
Hey less of the "old DEC Alphas". :) I used to work for Digital and I worked on the very Alphas you took out. They still seem quite recent to me, I started with Digital in the PDP-11 era and then continued into the VAX era.

DEC were massively ahead of their time, but the company weren't ambitious enough IMHO.

Working on DEC was heaven compared to the equivalent IBMs and ICLs of the day. :)

Clive
02-01-2011, 13:35
DEC were massively ahead of their time, but the company weren't ambitious enough IMHO.

Working on DEC was heaven compared to the equivalent IBMs and ICLs of the day. :)
Yeah, DEC lost it when when all the RISC machines came out. If they'd licensed the VAX architecture to 3rd parties I reckon they could have saved themselves. A lot of the s/w we use today has it's roots in VMS, albeit without the onion skin layers which provided security.

Jac Hawk
02-01-2011, 13:46

They seemed a lot more mechanical than what you get now, i remember the computer room, everything was on printed paper, no monitors, as you typed it was printed out, it took a bit of getting used to. :scratch:

WAD62
02-01-2011, 13:49
They seemed a lot more mechanical than what you get now, i remember the computer room, everything was on printed paper, no monitors, as you typed it was printed out, it took a bit of getting used to. :scratch:

...you should have tried editing a file using a teletype, that was a bit tricky, particularly as back then you could only parse it in one direction ;)

Clive
02-01-2011, 13:49
These new-fangled monitors took getting used to as well. Printed console paper was useful when doing installations and maintenance as you could look back an see what you did to crash the machine....

Jac Hawk
02-01-2011, 13:59
These new-fangled monitors took getting used to as well. Printed console paper was useful when doing installations and maintenance as you could look back an see what you did to crash the machine....

Well it got ripped out, we kept the OLD DEC's as there was a healthy spares market, so we sold bit's on, and we replaced it with a lovely SCADA system, Wonderware i believe running on NT, can't remember what the factory floor PLC's were.

Macca
02-01-2011, 14:12
I know of one major British company whose IT architecture is so old that when something fails they have to trawl on eBay to find a replacement. They can't migrate to a new system because of the cost and due to the nature of the business if the migration went wrong it would cost them hundreds of millions.

goraman
02-01-2011, 15:20
Sorry mate i can't see that kind of leap in what will be now only 1 year. For a start microsoft will want to milk it's new operating system for a while longer me thinks, i mean it's taken them long enough to get it right, what with the trouble they had with vista, secondly there must be hundreds of millions of computers in use worldwide, and even though 64 bit has been around for a while, i would bet most people are still on 32 bit systems, now there are some compatibility issues between 32bit programs running on a 64 bit operating systems, can you imagine what the problems are going to be if you leap from 64 bit to 256 bit, i think you'll find most of your software wouldn't work properly. Now we're still gripped in a global recession so how many people / companies do you think are going to completely scrap the system and software that they use now to go to 256 bit?

Now on saying that for most uses we're not going to see that leap in a year, it will in my opinion be more gradual, it doesn't rule out the use of such macines as servers etc, you might be surprised to find out that most factory automation i.e. the computing power behind the production line or process is still at the pentium level, processing power and Tb's of ram tend to be needed more as servers or in the video games industry / media industry.

So i don't think you need to chuck yer old pc away just yet. :)

Mike your point is well made,I am on a 64 bit computer yet I'm running 7 in 32bit because my coral photo and vidio editing software,windows office 7 and itunes are all 32 bit and I really don't want to deal with crashes and freeze ups.
My computer came with Vista 32 bit,It seems in 08 they all did,even if they could resorce 64 due to software issues.
Same reason I choose not to go 64bit is there is still little software unless your a gamer and it really creates driver problems.
I belive next year all programs and drivers will be 64 bit and 128 will be the new deal.Leaving 32 bit behind like Windows 95.

My computer is here
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-satellite-a305d-s6848/1707-3121_7-33088925.html

WAD62
02-01-2011, 15:21
I know of one major British company whose IT architecture is so old that when something fails they have to trawl on eBay to find a replacement. They can't migrate to a new system because of the cost and due to the nature of the business if the migration went wrong it would cost them hundreds of millions.

Interesting, that's just the sort of client we like... :eyebrows:

PM me you want to grass then up ;)

WAD62
02-01-2011, 15:24
Mike your point is well made,I am on a 64 bit computer yet I'm running 7 in 32bit because my coral photo and vidio editing software,windows office 7 and itunes are all 32 bit and I really don't want to deal with crashes and freeze ups.
My computer came with Vista 32 bit,It seems in 08 they all did,even if they could resorce 64 due to software issues.
Same reason I choose not to go 64bit is there is still little software unless you a gamer and it really creates driver problems.
I belive next year all programs and drivers will be 64 bit and 128 will be the new deal.Leaving 32 bit behind like Windows 95.

'Cloud Computing' overcomes all of these proprietary issues...

goraman
02-01-2011, 15:36
'Cloud Computing' overcomes all of these proprietary issues...
I guess it would if your computer is only streaming info,mabey it's the way to go after all.
I really don't much care for wifi till incryption of signal becomes safe from hackers.

Will,we even have hackers who hang out in airports trying to steal credit card numbers,useing free software to admin office computers.
They can see everything on your drive and can even veiw passwords used ect...

WAD62
02-01-2011, 16:08
I guess it would if your computer is only streaming info,mabey it's the way to go after all.
I really don't much care for wifi till incryption of signal becomes safe from hackers.

Will,we even have hackers who hang out in airports trying to steal credit card numbers,useing free software to admin office computers.
They can see everything on your drive and can even veiw passwords used ect...

Security & disaster recovery are the two major areas of concern for organisations with regard to the 'cloud computing'/SaaS approach. Particularly when one is addressing senior board members. There are numerous security strategies out there, we're sifting through them at the moment.

This is why the 'hosting' organisation also needs careful consideration.

The arms race between encryption and hackers will always be there regardless of the transport mechanism.

If you are connected to the internet via any mechanism you are exposing yourself to a certain extent.

Sorry for the rather woolly response, but this is a major issue moving forward for the whole IT industry, and there is no simple response...it's as much about PR as technology ;)

If there was a smiley for a 'can of worms' I'd use it

goraman
02-01-2011, 16:22
Got it,
And Wade a can of worms smiley is the best idea I have heard all year!

goraman
02-01-2011, 17:43
I just read the boxes to all my software and looked up software like itunes and discovered all the 32 bit software I have includeing office 7 can now be run on a 64 bit OPS.

It seems software in 32 bit is now made to work in the world of 64 bit computeing but I will not mess with my hard drive now installing a new ops.
I would get another drive and start from scratch leaveing myself able to change drives if a problem occurs.
I have heard you must install updates to get the new driver that lets you use older versions of office.

Is there anyone here who has done this?

How would a 4 gig buffer help speed my computer?
Would this be like adding RAM?
http://www.frys.com/product/6320511?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

WAD62
03-01-2011, 12:24
I just read the boxes to all my software and looked up software like itunes and discovered all the 32 bit software I have includeing office 7 can now be run on a 64 bit OPS.

It seems software in 32 bit is now made to work in the world of 64 bit computeing but I will not mess with my hard drive now installing a new ops.
I would get another drive and start from scratch leaveing myself able to change drives if a problem occurs.
I have heard you must install updates to get the new driver that lets you use older versions of office.

Is there anyone here who has done this?

How would a 4 gig buffer help speed my computer?
Would this be like adding RAM?
http://www.frys.com/product/6320511?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

NB. It's a 4Gb drive with a 32Mb buffer

Disk buffers or cache only really come into their own when one is accessing the data in a 'random' or 'non sequential' fashion. Usually for databases, where the concept of FIB (Found in buffer) can really speed things up, as a %age of physical I/O is transformed to logical I/O. But it all depends on access patterns and data structures. In a sense the buffer is working like extended RAM in this situation.

However for multi media purposes it doesn't make much difference as you're retrieving large amounts of data from the disk in a sequential fashion.

EDIT :I've just spotted that it's advertised as a 'solid state hybrid', which changes things somewhat, but I can still see a spindle and disk, so not sure what they mean, at $139 for 4Gb it can not be truly solid state. Solid State can be thought of as low speed RAM. I'd check out 'Toms Hardware' for reviews.

FYI in 96 a 500mb solid state IBM HD was $0.75Million :eek:

Most 32 bit applications will work quite happily in a 64 bit environment, it's only an issue at a lower 'device' level, so applications that require device drivers can be a problem, but a download of new drivers usually solves this. Some backup software can also be an issue eg. Norton Ghost.

Beware of throwing RAM at your computer in an effort to speed things up, 3Gb should be plenty on windows 7, check task mgr to see if you're getting anywhere near 70% utilisation.

The biggest 'pinch point' on most laptops is the fact that there's only one HD, so the programs are loaded from there, the swap file is held there, and the data is held there...HD's usually only 'single thread'

I have an old tower with an AMD Athlon 3200 processor,XP, 2GB RAM, a system disk, a swapfile disk, and 2 data disks, and it goes like a train compared to my duo core ASUS laptop with 3Gb of RAM and Win 7 64bit.

:)