PDA

View Full Version : Overhauling/Servicing of vintage cassette decks

DirectDrive_Gordon
01-01-2011, 16:44
Can anyone recommend someone in the UK who is expert in servicing and overhauling vintage cassette decks?

I have a lovely old Sony TC-229SD (circa 1977) in near mint cosmetic condition which sadly will not play (although FF and Rew work fine) and also a Sony TC-K81 (circa 1981) which has some tape transport issues. Both of these machines are excellent when fully working to spec. I have another TC-K81 which is fully working and is really superb (even better than a Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1 I once owned).

Regards,

Gordon.

Rare Bird
01-01-2011, 17:38
You could try Colin Braddock at The Tape Centre Blackpool.

John
01-01-2011, 18:48
Also Alex Niktin of ANT
http://www.ant-audio.co.uk/

Jac Hawk
01-01-2011, 19:25
good luck with that mate, I had an Akai GXC-740D with the glass ferrite heads, one of the bearings on the transport mechanism had worn out and needed replacing as it affected playback speed, anyway i was living on Orkney at the time and there was no one that could do the work, i even tried to get the parts i needed for the job and fix it myself but without success, so it got skipped, i suppose back in the late 80's cassette was in decline as CD was becoming more popular, it's a shame cos it was a great deck.