PDA

View Full Version : Word clock modification

Steve H
01-01-2011, 14:29
I hope this isn't covered elsewhere as I've searched quite a bit and can't find any reference to it.

I'm going to buy a Bluray player which I will want to have modified to accept a word clock signal. Can anyone recommend companies that do such modifications?

Audiocom AV
01-01-2011, 18:38
I hope this isn't covered elsewhere as I've searched quite a bit and can't find any reference to it.

I'm going to buy a Bluray player which I will want to have modified to accept a word clock signal. Can anyone recommend companies that do such modifications?

Hi Steve

I might be able to help with this.

Which Blu-ray player are you buying?

Best,
Mark

Steve H
01-01-2011, 21:41
Hi, Mark. I haven't decided on one yet. Whichever one I buy needs to output 1080p 24 and take a word clock signal from a dCS USB clock. I've been looking at Oppo and Pioneer but need to clarify the word clock feature first.

Steve

Reid Malenfant
02-01-2011, 13:23
Seeing as i'll be taking delivery of a couple of bits of dCS kit this coming week i had a brief look through one of the manuals :eek:

I'm not sure what use the word clock would be except for CD playback on a blu ray player as from what i saw it looks to be fixed at 44.1KHz :scratch:

Steve H
02-01-2011, 20:03
Hi, Mark. Reading manuals is the very devil.... :stalks: The USB clock is switchable between 44.1kHz and 48kHz so that's okay. Which "bits" are you getting?

Steve

Reid Malenfant
02-01-2011, 20:09
Purcell & Delius, both with the firewire IEEE1394 not that i'm likely to use that for DSD but you never know :scratch:

It's a once in a lifetime purchase for me, but i wanted something well up there to go with my Krell DT10 transport, because it's worth it :lolsign:

I guess i didn't go very in depth in the PDF manual i was reading, something tells me i'll need to though :eek:

Steve H
02-01-2011, 20:21
You'll love them. I had a Verdi LaScala and Delius. The transport became unreliable which is why I moved to Puccini and U clock. I'd tried a Purcell (and Verona) with the Delius and they were brilliant - that would have been my upgrade path but for the transport problems.

Steve

Reid Malenfant
02-01-2011, 20:30
I certainly hope so :eyebrows: I'm not that interested in changing this transport even though the chap i purchased the dCS gear from sorted me out a newer Purcell so it would match with the Delius for the same price, he mentioned it'd match the Verdi.

In this case i'll stick with what i know that's 100%, i just figured i could do better DAC wise & there's not a lot that beat the dCS combo ;)

Steve H
02-01-2011, 20:42
Mark, I meant to say something about your "may use FireWire for DSD...." comment earlier. You'll have that option straight away if you connect your Krell to the Purcell and set it to output DSD to the Delius. :)

Reid Malenfant
02-01-2011, 20:47
Mark, I meant to say something about your "may use FireWire for DSD...." comment earlier. You'll have that option straight away if you connect your Krell to the Purcell and set it to output DSD to the Delius. :)
Yes i think you may well be bang on there, however i think to do that i might need to feed the Purcell with the wordclock output of the Delius? :scratch:

A BNC lead isn't hard to come by after all :lol:

If it's that simple i may well try it, AES3 is on the cards though so i can feed the Delius with 24/176 or 192. I guess at the end of the day i'll end up listening to whatever sounds the best to my ears, but there is soooo much to play around with :mental:

Steve H
02-01-2011, 21:07
Yes, a lot to play with. As an observation, I've not read a review or forum comment where someone preferred AES or dual AES over DSD. With dCS, I've become so used to upsampled 16/44.1 sounding almost like SACD that I take it for granted. Also, when I had a Purcell, routing DVD's (from a Meridian 598) to it and up sampling to DSD just made me grin. I wish you lot of those moments :)

Reid Malenfant
02-01-2011, 21:13
Interesting :) I just happen to have a surplus to requirements firewire cable here, i think i'll see how it pans out...

Cheers for the pointers Steve, you really ought to post on here a little more often chap, you have been most helpful ;)

I hope you have a great 2011 :)