PDA

View Full Version : Music Server Software for Linux

Ammonite Audio
28-12-2010, 16:46
I have had reasonably good results from streaming music from Windows PCs, running either Foobar or JRiver Media Center, dgitally to my Lyngdorf TDA2200 amplifier. The latest release of Ubuntu Linux 10.10 is so good and complete that I'm very tempted to abandon Windows for good (it's the first time that a Linux release has tempted me). The trouble is, I have no idea which Linux music streaming software is any good. It has to do bit-perfect digital transmission, as both Foobar and JRiver do, with the appropriate plug-in (eg ASIO, WASAPI). So, can anyone recommend me a good Linux music streaming program?

Many thanks,

WAD62
28-12-2010, 17:30
I have had reasonably good results from streaming music from Windows PCs, running either Foobar or JRiver Media Center, dgitally to my Lyngdorf TDA2200 amplifier. The latest release of Ubuntu Linux 10.10 is so good and complete that I'm very tempted to abandon Windows for good (it's the first time that a Linux release has tempted me). The trouble is, I have no idea which Linux music streaming software is any good. It has to do bit-perfect digital transmission, as both Foobar and JRiver do, with the appropriate plug-in (eg ASIO, WASAPI). So, can anyone recommend me a good Linux music streaming program?

Many thanks,

Streaming or playing?

SqueezeCenter is fine for streaming on linux?

keiths
28-12-2010, 17:32
I like XBMC. It's a full-on 'Media Centre' but I only use it for music (I have all the video menu options hidden in the 'skin' settings).

To install it, open a terminal window and type:

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-standalone
sudo apt-get update

Ammonite Audio
28-12-2010, 18:43
I have identified a minor problem - M2Tech do not provide Linux drivers for my HiFace devices, so asynchronous USB streaming may not be possible. Still worth a tinker, though.

Vincent Kars
29-12-2010, 22:53
As you are talking J River, WASAPI I assume you mean direct playback, not streaming (client-server over the network using a protocol like DLNA).

My experience with Linux is a bit dated but maybe of use to get you started.
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Linux/Linux.htm

Bit perfect in Linux is a matter of using hw: instead of plughw: for the audio device.
In the second case resampling is likely.

Part of my problems was that my DAC was 24 bit, at that time 24 bit USB was not supported.
Today it seems to possible.
An interesting link on getting bit perfect Linux audio: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=82175