PDA

View Full Version : Thorens service type bod in the Midlands...

synsei
27-12-2010, 21:57
Is anyone aware of a Thorens service technician based in the Midlands, my poor TD316 needs a bit of TLC (Noisy motor and general service...)?

Cheers... :)

Bethelcat
28-12-2010, 22:34
You could try asking Colin at Chevron Audio in Derby. If he can't help he'll probably know someone who can. See www.chevronaudio.co.uk

Rare Bird
28-12-2010, 22:45
I've never ever understood why people pay to get their equipment serviced :scratch:

Beechwoods
28-12-2010, 22:52
I wish I didn't have to... but finding the time to learn how to do it myself, or even finding the time to take a box apart... you have to be joking :(

The Vinyl Adventure
28-12-2010, 22:59
I've never ever understood why people pay to get their equipment serviced :scratch:

Some of us don't have the attention to detail and patience required to learn how to do such things never mind actually attempt them!

One of my skirting boards in my living room is only painted half way along ... Never mind done with spray paint etc ...

You get my point :)

Beechwoods
28-12-2010, 23:12
My problem is if I'm going to do it myself, I want it done properly... so it always takes 3 or 4 times longer than I ever thought it would... and getting a straight run at it is nigh on impossible... maybe in 15 years my time will come :)

Rare Bird
28-12-2010, 23:18
I understand but the principles of electronics are so ancient i'm embarresed to be living in this so called modern day & age..servicing the mechanical/engineering side of things is just common sence..but if you don't have time you don't have time.. Modern equipment on the other hand is worthy of the nearest rubbish skip imho. :lolsign:

synsei
29-12-2010, 00:29
I'm a fairly practical bloke and I used to be able to turn my hand to just about anything, but a few years back I had a fairly serious accident at work and I've been disabled ever since. It's back related and affects everything I do and it can lay me low just about whenever it pleases. My music collection is very important to me and having something decent to play it on is a bonus. My disability is the reason I don't have mega-bucks available to buy top-end equipment. That is why I need to find a bod to do the work on my Thorens. It sucks but it's necessary... ;)

Not having bottomless pockets has its upsides though: It's been fun sourcing decent second hand kit at the right price. You'd be amazed what's available out there for paltry sums of money. I paid £120 a piece for the LS55's and the 8000c. Under 80 quid for the TD316/LVX+/AT95e, £40 for the NAD CD524 and the biggest bargain of the lot, 90 quid for the DH220. The MD player was a gift incidentally. Not including the Caiman I've ordered, the grand total I've spent on my current system to date is a heady 480 quid, which includes the cost of all my cables. The rest of the kit I have lying around has been picked up from the local recycle center for the odd fiver or tenner. Most of that needs a fettle but it all works barring the Heybrook's (Foam rot to the woofer surrounds). I'm pretty pleased with what I've put together for such a lowly sum although it has taken a while... :)

Rare Bird
29-12-2010, 01:27
Hi Dave

I hear you with the back accident, i had a pack of oak timber fall on me from a delivery lorry at work when i was about 18, thought i was doomed, i'm still in terrific pain at times especially when i put weight on, theirs been times i've been out boozing, got pissed & slept on my back all night in which i literally cant move in the morning. Do try service the Thorens yourself it's really not that hard..I'll PM you some details anyway.You can source belt & oil for the deck, aslong as those leaf spring are ok i see no problems with the deck once fettled..I never personally liked that model as i found the bottom end a bit weak sounding.

AlanS
29-12-2010, 01:42
Try John Townrow (http://www.fwhifi.co.uk/) in Birmingham who does classic Thorens.

synsei
29-12-2010, 12:09
Hi Dave

I hear you with the back accident, i had a pack of oak timber fall on me from a delivery lorry at work when i was about 18, thought i was doomed, i'm still in terrific pain at times especially when i put weight on, theirs been times i've been out boozing, got pissed & slept on my back all night in which i literally cant move in the morning. Do try service the Thorens yourself it's really not that hard..I'll PM you some details anyway.You can source belt & oil for the deck, aslong as those leaf spring are ok i see no problems with the deck once fettled..I never personally liked that model as i found the bottom end a bit weak sounding.

I carried out a basic service on the deck back in September, replacing the belt and also the bearing oil using one of Joel's kits from eBay. The motor is noisy and needs shimming apparently, which will be beyond my abilities to do myself. I think the springs are okay, but having had no experience with suspended decks I'm not really sure. I'm going to need to source some transit screws from somewhere too, as they weren't supplied with the deck when i bought it. There is also a crackle through the speakers when I move the arm over the platter, but it doesn't manifest when playing records. It definitely needs fettling... :rolleyes:

I've heard from several people that the TD316 can sound bass light, but in my system it sounds great. I've matched the system fairly carefully to offset this trait: The DH220 has plenty of bass slam and extension as do the LS55's so it all sounds pretty good to me. Not that I wouldn't mind upgrading my TT at some point. I've always lusted after a Michell Gyro, which I would nominate as one of the most beautifully designed hi-fi components of all time. It doesn't sound too shabby either, which is a bonus... :)

DSJR
29-12-2010, 12:23
Why not try the UK importer, who is currently UKD from memory.

Thorens went for years in limbo in the UK and they've lost most of the healthy market share they once had. To be honest, and judging by the apalling pay in hifi shops these days, I'd be very surprised if you find a long term staff member who remembers these models (I do, but sold very few and the suspensions are different to the 150/160 models I know so well).

One thing about the motor - how come that after twenty years or so it suddenly needs shims? I appreciate the main problem with many Thorens decks in this series was a DC motor with severe servo overshoot (the main criticism), but those little motors should run until they stop....

Please try UKD. It's a small concern and Nick may be around this week. At the very least, he may be able to source a service manual which should explain in depth the setup and alignment proceedure for one of these.

AlanS
29-12-2010, 12:41
Try John Townrow (http://www.fwhifi.co.uk/) in Birmingham who does classic Thorens.

Synsei

I have spoken with John Townrow (see above) on your behalf and if you contact him Tuesday of next week onwards he will do what he can for you. He's a good bloke been in the business for years and has his own workshop.

BTW He is in Birmingham

synsei
29-12-2010, 12:49
Ok, a more detailed description of the motor noise is in order methinks. Basically it chuffs like an old Hornby 00 steam loco fitted with a sound module, only quieter thank the lord. After posting the problem on VE I was advised to check whether the locator forks were rubbing on the drive belt, which they are not. Another VE member suggested the shims at the the base of the motor might be worn and sent me a link to an outfit that produce a doo-dad that clips to the base of the motor and presses against the base of the motor shaft essentially lifting it free of the shim. The motor shaft runs on a ptfe bearing housed within the doo-dad IIRC.

synsei
29-12-2010, 12:50
Synsei

I have spoken with John Townrow (see above) on your behalf and if you contact him Tuesday of next week onwards he will do what he can for you. He's a good bloke been in the business for years and has his own workshop.

BTW He is in Birmingham

Wow, thanks Alan, you're a gent... :clap::cheers:

DSJR
29-12-2010, 13:26
Synsei

BTW He is in Birmingham

He's an AVI dealer as well, so can't be bad :lol: Actually, I agree that he's a good guy and well worth visiting. His site has some genuinely good advice too I think. Glad he's an established Thorens dealer. I'll remember that for future reference :)

AlanS
30-12-2010, 12:12
Dave

I don't think Five Ways are official dealers now, but John's long term experience and contacts/creative problem solving may get our man sorted.

DSJR
30-12-2010, 17:09
No doubt at all :)

PLEASE return and tell us the result of the fettling - whether motor shims were in fact needed? I ask because of the years I spent with Linn motors, which had the home-made thrust kit mounted on all pre Lingo motors. Either the thrust kit added noise (on early ones without ball bearings) or the top motor bush was noisy. Either way, it was a pain for many sufferers until six months use had passed, by which time the offending bits had polished up a bit.. I note that the later Linn airpax motors were supplied with the motor-manufacturer made thrust pad which everyone else had been using for decades before..... ;)

synsei
30-12-2010, 18:21
I'll post the results as soon as I've spoken to John. Incidentally, have you or Alan got any idea where I might source some transit screws for the 316?

DSJR
30-12-2010, 21:19
UKD?

synsei
30-12-2010, 22:33
Ah, good point. Sorry, been in numpty mode all day. Car broke, central heating broke. Thank God for the Caiman, a bright point in an otherwise dull day... :doh:

AlanS
01-02-2011, 18:02
Did this get sorted?

synsei
01-02-2011, 18:49
In a manner of speaking, yes it did Alan. It looked as if it was going to be cheaper to buy a modified TD160mkII, SME SeriesIII and Goldring G900IGC, so that's what I did... ;)

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/160mkII-SMESeriesIII-Goldring900IGC2.jpg

Now, just gotta find someone who wants to buy the 316... :)