PDA

View Full Version : Beresford Caiman DAC

synsei
27-12-2010, 15:09
Well, after much pondering I took the plunge and ordered a Beresford Caiman DAC today. Although similarly priced and specced to the CA DacMagic, the fact that it is easy to mod and Beresford provide a superior power supply to that offered by Cambridge Audio won the day for me.

I know it isn't the last word in DAC's, but around the £200 mark every DAC I'd considered seemed to offer excellent 'Bang For Your Buck', so it came down to versatility, build quality and visual impact in the end. On these three factors alone the Caiman wins by a nose. The DacMagic and Caiman are both well built and offer a plethora of inputs and outputs, the DM just edging it here, whilst the MF vDac, the other DAC I considered, lost out on connectivity and build in my opinion. The vDac also lagged a little in the sound department compared to the others too, although not by much. I felt that the vDac, whilst offering a wide and well defined soundstage with good space between performers and instruments, lacked a little in dynamics and bass weight in comparison. More importantly for me though, I couldn't live with the vDac's look, somewhat akin to a TV aerial signal booster, and a cheap one at that, and its poor connectivity options.

So as not to strangle the Caiman's delivery I opted for a PROFIGOLD OXYPURE PGD4015 1.5m Coaxial Cable and 2 pairs of Belkin Silver Series RCA leads having read excellent reviews around the web and also in the HiFi press.

DSJR
28-12-2010, 12:01
The important thing for us here is that Stan is a very accessible chap and is ready to help...

I'm sure the V-DAC is fine, but may need a bigger power supply possibly. I still feel the main audible differences in DAC performance these days is the analogue output buffer and careful attention to this (as in the Gator board for example) will prove dividends in the future.

One other DAC/line driver to consider is this at £250 or thereabouts. I understand it's very good indeed -

http://www.tcelectronic.com/bmc-2.asp

synsei
28-12-2010, 23:31
I've heard mention of this Gator board, where might I find the elusive beastie??? :scratch:

Alex_UK
29-12-2010, 08:01
I've heard mention of this Gator board, where might I find the elusive beastie??? :scratch:

Read http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7623 and then PM StanleyB (http://theartofsound.net/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=178) and your wish will be granted! :)

synsei
29-12-2010, 11:26
I caught Stan before he had shipped the Caiman and paid for a Gator which Stan is going to fit before shipping. Now that's what I call service... :clap:

synsei
30-12-2010, 18:28
The Caiman has arrived and I'm suitably impressed, and it hasn't even burnt in yet. Currently listening to 'Dances With Wolves' OST, by John Barry. Very, very nice... Will report back with some more observations a little later. Meanwhile, I'm just going to sit here and enjoy the music... :)

Reid Malenfant
30-12-2010, 18:31
I have one here sitting in a box :doh: The problem is it might be there for a while now :rolleyes:

Have fun, it'll only sound better as time goes by :)

synsei
30-12-2010, 19:49
I have one here sitting in a box :doh: The problem is it might be there for a while now :rolleyes:

Have fun, it'll only sound better as time goes by :)

It sounds pretty damn good right now, so post burn-in is going to be a blast. It is a teensy bit brash at the top end just now, but that's normal out of the box from what I've read. Bass definition has improved a lot as has the soundstage. My TD316 used to be the best sounding source component in my system, not anymore.

Anyway, back to the music... Now listening to 'Space and Beyond 2', A stunning HDCD recording of classic and modern sci-fi movie themes performed by The City Of Prague Philharmonic, conducted by Nic Raine. This is a must have if you enjoy superlative orchestral productions and you are into your sci-fi movies of course... :stalks:

synsei
01-01-2011, 16:31
Time to post a 'sit-rep' on the Caiman:

After 36hrs of burn in time I am absolutely gob-smacked at the quality of this little DAC. The top end has calmed down and it's not as glassy as it was upon first usage, in fact the highs are as sweet as a nut now, and the bass... :stalks:

I bought a pair of Superlux 668B headphones back in August after reading rave reviews on various websites, including Head-Fi. They are a stunning set of 'phones costing just £30 that out-perform such luminaries as Grado's SR60's and some high end Sennheisers. I've been enjoying them ever since through the Class 'A' headphone stage on my Audiolab. However, it's taken the Caiman to truly reveal how good they are. The 668B's are staggering through the Caiman. They are revealing without inducing listener fatigue, they deliver bass you can almost feel without it being over-bearing and they exhibit mid-range to die for... Listening to Norah Jones was just that, It almost feels as if she is performing live in my head... :lol:

Just for fun, I decided to slip on a track by Euro-dancemeister Sash. The track is called HoopStar and is track six on his first album 'It's My Life - The Album'. It is a bouncy little Drum 'n' Bass number with a seismic bass line and ultra-catchy synth riffs, It's also very well produced for a dance album. It sounded stunning through the 668B's, the Caiman, NAD 524 and Superlux's all working together to do their best to deflect seismograph needles around the world. But it wasn't all about bass slam and extension. Synth textures and delicate little background touches were revealed by this amazing combo throughout the entire album.

I'd like to thank Stan and his team at Beresford for designing such an amazing product. I'd also like to thank those of you who brought it to my attention, I'm having a ball... :rave: Now, where's my Rave Horn??? :lol:

A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!!!

Fi-Wi
08-01-2011, 13:02
Thanks for mentioning the Superlux 668B synsei! I read the raving reviews and just ordered a pair online, together with a set of velours earpads.

I can't wait hearing them together with my Caiman (non-Gator edition).

The Gator-upgrade caught my interest, so maybe in the (very) nearby future my Caiman gets Gatorated as well!

synsei
08-01-2011, 16:02
I heartily recommend both these products Steven. The 668B's will need three or four days to give their best, just stick a CD on repeat whenever you go out, with the 'phones plugged in of course (numpty here forgot on one occasion and treated the neighbours to a not so intimate four and a half hour Ultravox gig ^^). :oops:

The 'Gator' upgrade, once run in, will give your digital sources a lovely 'analogue' character without losing the advantages of digital precision, bass slam and timing. The Caiman is a wonderful product for the price, and I reckon it looks pretty classy too... :bag:

slate
08-01-2011, 18:20
I see nothing wrong with 4½ hours of Ultravox; and if your neighbours didn't complain then neither did they.

I have been considering the Superlux set myself recently but it is on standby at the moment.

StanleyB
08-01-2011, 18:58
Oh Vienna... :doh:

synsei
08-01-2011, 19:16
They heard quite a lot through "The Thin Wall" :uhho: :fingers: :D

Fi-Wi
08-01-2011, 19:20
I have been considering the Superlux set myself recently but it is on standby at the moment.

I just got a message that the online shop where I ordered them will have them in stock on 31 Januari 2011. Of course that is just an estimation. :rolleyes:

StanleyB
08-01-2011, 19:25
Of course that is just an estimation. :rolleyes:
Which album is that tune on?

synsei
08-01-2011, 19:28
Rage In Eden Stan... ;)

synsei
08-01-2011, 19:29
<---- Numpty :doh: (I should learn to read hahaha)

Alex_UK
08-01-2011, 19:57
They heard quite a lot through "The Thin Wall" :uhho: :fingers: :D

:lol:

At least they won't be Passing Strangers any more... :)

synsei
09-01-2011, 00:25
I've made it up with all of them except the elusive 'Mr X' :eyebrows:

Fi-Wi
22-01-2011, 10:09
I heartily recommend both these products Steven. The 668B's will need three or four days to give their best, just stick a CD on repeat whenever you go out, with the 'phones plugged in of course (numpty here forgot on one occasion and treated the neighbours to a not so intimate four and a half hour Ultravox gig ^^). :oops:

The 'Gator' upgrade, once run in, will give your digital sources a lovely 'analogue' character without losing the advantages of digital precision, bass slam and timing. The Caiman is a wonderful product for the price, and I reckon it looks pretty classy too... :bag:
Unfortunately the bass slam is too much for my Sennheiser HD570 headphones. They produce a cracking sound when I listen to bass in all kinds of music styles.

Apart from that I must say that I really love (the natural sound of) these headphones that I can wear for hours without feeling inconvenient.

The shipping of my Superlux 668B is now due for 26 January so they seem available after all. I hope they don't crack when use with my Caiman/Gator combination or I will have to put the original PCB back in.

Clive
22-01-2011, 10:52
A cracking sound is usually an electronic overload. It's possible your phones are being overloaded and hitting their endstops but if you turn the volume down the cracking sound will stop if this is the case.

Are you sure the cracking sound isn't there on your speakers too, but perhaps less noticeable?

Fi-Wi
22-01-2011, 11:24
Hmmm, I guess I posted too soon.

I just tested some decent recordings and I don't hear a cracking sound at all. Even when volume's way up. The poor recordings do make my headphones crack though. I should stay away from them anyway. :doh:

Covenant
22-01-2011, 11:39
Attached is a photo of my Superlux 681 headphones. They have had a few mods:
Aluminium ring set
Velour pads
In line high frequency filter
Re-cabled
Blue leather headband

Lovely and comfy but still a bit sharp on poorly recorded stuff. I might change one of the resistor values.

Fi-Wi
22-01-2011, 12:22
And Radio Paradise 128aac running I see. Love that radio stream!

The velour pads were in stock and sit hear awaiting for the 668B.

synsei
22-01-2011, 13:39
Unfortunately the bass slam is too much for my Sennheiser HD570 headphones. They produce a cracking sound when I listen to bass in all kinds of music styles.

Apart from that I must say that I really love (the natural sound of) these headphones that I can wear for hours without feeling inconvenient.

The shipping of my Superlux 668B is now due for 26 January so they seem available after all. I hope they don't crack when use with my Caiman/Gator combination or I will have to put the original PCB back in.

I can't comment with regard to the Sennheiser's, but I've played stuff with decent bass slam (Pendulum, Massive Attack etc) through the 668B's at higher than average volumes and they have never given any sign of waving the white flag... ;)

Btw, where can I order velour pads from for these?

Fi-Wi
22-01-2011, 14:16
I ordered them here (http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k240270271_velour_ohrpolster.htm).

These AKG K-240/270/271 pads should fit the Superlux 668B as well as you can read here (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/528835/superlux-668b-earpads) for example.

synsei
22-01-2011, 18:12
Cheers Steven ;)

Fi-Wi
29-01-2011, 06:48
So now I've received the Superlux and the AKG K-240 ear pads but I can't figure out how these pads should be fitted to the Superlux.

The original Superlux pleather pads can be pulled off since the have a sleeve that fits the plastic cup that contains the speakers. The AKG pads are the same size as the original pads but seem to lack such a sleeve. So what's the trick?

Does anyone know how AKG pads can be fitted to AKG headphones?

slate
29-01-2011, 09:28
Received my 668 yesterday. Had a short listen to them on the Luxman L120 that I am restoring and then on to the Caiman. They sounded promising on the Luxman but more details were visible on the Caiman. Left them playing during the night.

I have not looked into replacing the pads; I ordered the same pads that you linked to previously and they do have a sleeve.... seems that it will be tight fit

Fi-Wi
29-01-2011, 11:42
Well yes, the K-204 has something like a sleeve but if that is supposed to be fit the same way the original pads are it sure is going to be tight!

To illustrate this I made a picture of the backside of the pad with my car key put under the "sleeve" to show how tight it is.

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-ONWKX847-D.jpg

Edit:

When I see the following picture of the Supelux 668B/K-240 combo that I found, it certainly looks like the sleeve of the AKG ear pad needs to be stretched over the plastic cup after all. I am curious how one should do that since a finger is way too big to use for this job.

http://assets.head-fi.org/c/c8/1000x500px-LL-c8f5c24b_IMG_5979+%5B640x480%5D.JPG

Covenant
29-01-2011, 14:38
What I did was to almost turn them inside out. The sleeve needs to be pulled back all the way round before trying to fit them.

Fi-Wi
30-01-2011, 10:02
Thanks Jerry, that did the trick! Obviously the sleeve is made to be stretched.

For the very few technically illiterate (like me) I made a "how to" as a little sunday morning project:

Left pad: AKG velour, right pad: Superlux original pleather
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-LXMBYKZL-D.jpg

Pad pulled off
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-KDILONZ6-D.jpg

AKG pad with sleeve folded backwards
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-WT7H6C8I-D.jpg

Place AKG on the headphone and unfold sleeve around the cup
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-DGK6K3W4-D.jpg

Voila: a pair of non-sweaty velours ear pads that cover your Superlux!
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-JR8BZGVO-D.jpg

Gbeer7
02-02-2011, 16:21
Might be able to help, I own a Linn DS sneaky with two audiolab 8000m and a single 8000s. Would a Beresford Caiman DAC help improve the sound ? Is this the sort of thing it can be used for ? Thanks in advance.

The Pink Panther
14-04-2011, 15:51
I concur that the superlux headphones are in fact the greatest headphones on the planet, I love them.

synsei
14-04-2011, 16:52
Might be able to help, I own a Linn DS sneaky with two audiolab 8000m and a single 8000s. Would a Beresford Caiman DAC help improve the sound ? Is this the sort of thing it can be used for ? Thanks in advance.

Hi Graham,

My 8000c has an excellent headphone stage and is every bit as good as the one in the Caiman, something to do with the fact that they are both Class A designs I suspect. I would imagine the same circuitry is used in your 'S' too... ;)

I'm not familiar with that particular Linn product. All I can say is that it is worth borrowing a Caiman to give it a try. I haven't regretted buying mine at all, it is a superb product and has given my ageing NAD CD524 CD player a whole new lease of life. It also sounds spectacular playing lossless files from my PC. I heartily recommend the Gator upgrade, it lifts the Caiman into a different league entirely and can be fitted by Stan if you order it when you order your Caiman...

EDIT: I notice your system is all digital Graham. May I suggest you try using a Caiman as a pre-amp to drive your mono-blocks using a pair of decent quality splitter cables from the variable output. You will be very pleasantly surprised by the result, and I speak from experience here... :)

WAD62
14-04-2011, 16:59

Get a Q would be my advice, I used to use the S as a pre-power with an SX, the S pre is pretty much the same as the C, the Q is a major improvement over the C, and those monoblocks deserve it ;)

I now use a Q/SX/P in a biamp config, I always fancied the monoblocks, but 4 would not impress my bank manager :eyebrows: