PDA

View Full Version : Russ andrew Yellow 4 way need 6 way

pwood
23-12-2010, 18:09
Ultimately will go with MG one but can't stretch to over £200 for the one I need. How easy would it be to remove the current 4 way which looks like a standard block with the red bulb removed albeit someone once said it was star earthed? what could i replace it with as the Yellow cable is rather thick. Just looking for a cheap option as I am wary of the Tacima style ones in case it would SIT on the sound so to speak.

Ideally I need 2.5m cable on the end but 2 just about fits.

MCRU
23-12-2010, 18:15
Belden 19364 will do the job nicely mate, it has the active earth screen to form a ground loop etc, etc. Not expensive and quite thin compared to other cables and above all easy to wire up.

pwood
24-12-2010, 00:32
I need 2m length which I have but only 4 sockets so have chained an off shelf 6 way to it which is far from ideal I know. I was wondering if there is a mains block I could wire up to RA yellowI already have.

MCRU
24-12-2010, 09:09
oh yes there is mate, a rather special one I have to say, silver plated internally, will do the biz for you I reckon. Quite easy to wire yourself, be careful!

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/ourshop/prod_802550-Silver-Plated-6-Gang-Audio-Grade-Mains-Block.html

the light has been dis-abled as well

pwood
24-12-2010, 11:26
Lots of well priced stuff on your site. How does the Belden cable compare with the Yellow one I have. RA says its the woven construction that rejects RF better than others. Knowing very little about that sort of thing I do remember 1st year physics and twisting wires so i suppose there might be something in that. All I know is my system sounds less harsh with it in place.

Mark Grant
24-12-2010, 12:21
Wont be too difficult to get better than the Yellow.

Adding a braided screen over the RA yellow braided cores and earthing at the first end would be worth a try if you can find some braided screening on its own that fits, then cover it with nylon braid.

This thread compares my DSP 2.5 cable to the Yellow and one of the Beldens on post 16 and 25 I think.
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5004

The metal busbars inside a plastic mains block act as aerials which is why many of the blocks are all metal for screening.

Screening and earthing appear to make a good difference.
Its all about twists, type and quantity of screening and quality of connections etc.

I do sometimes sell bare prepared ends cables for such DIY rewire jobs, I dont sell it off the reel as the screening needs preparing correctly to work as designed and be safe etc.

Mark.

pwood
24-12-2010, 13:43
Thanks Mark for adding you input as well. The Earthing bit was something I was unaware of as was the aerial bit re the bus bars (obvious now of course).

MCRU
24-12-2010, 19:42
Lots of well priced stuff on your site. How does the Belden cable compare with the Yellow one I have. RA says its the woven construction that rejects RF better than others. Knowing very little about that sort of thing I do remember 1st year physics and twisting wires so i suppose there might be something in that. All I know is my system sounds less harsh with it in place.

The Belden has a drain wire which is touching the beldfoil screening so you wire the drain wire to the earth pin along with the yellow earth wire of course at the plug end and cut the drain wire off at the block end, this forms a ground loop so will help reject RFI, the kimber wire uses twisted wires to achieve the same thing so they say, personally if you want to keep the RA block I would wire some belden or mark's cable onto the block with a decent mains plug and that should do the job nicely.