PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hynes Veron Concert Phono Amp

Ammonite Audio
20-12-2010, 16:00
Christmas has been delivered to Casa Shuggie! My new Paul Hynes Veron Concert MM phono amp has, after some time, made it through the snow from the Outer Hebrides, and successfully negotiated the crippled Royal Mail system to my door. It's brand new, so no listening impressions for now, but I do have high hopes for this phono amp. There are links to pictures of the innards over at Paul's AudioCircle (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=rgojvrc9pj2c9ep9vru6j9tdlqd983 3e&topic=86440.0) page.

It's a two-part valve affair, with the PSU in a separate box. Valves are ECC82 and ECC83, with a load of Paul's regulation technology sprinkled around too. I can confirm that it's very quiet indeed. Paul does advise doing a bit of tube rolling, so I shall try my diamond-base Telefunken ECC82s, as well as old favourites like the mil spec French NOS RT valves.

The next step is the matching MC valve head amp, itself powered by an external PSU, so this will end up as a 4-box phono amp!

Yet to negotiate the Royal Mail are my serviced and retipped Kontrapunkt B and AT33PTG cartridges, which have been under the care of Expert Stylus Company, and which may reach me in the next day or so. I am looking forward to hearing the AT33PTG through Paul's phono amp.

John
20-12-2010, 16:12
Hope you enjoy I imagine you got hold of a great phono amp

chris@panteg
20-12-2010, 16:18
congrats ' it looks a superb bit of kit :)

Ammonite Audio
20-12-2010, 17:39
It is sounding rather magnificent, too, which can only bode well for when it's truly run-in.

Darren
20-12-2010, 18:13
I rather like the industrial chic of this phonograph stage.
It looks like it might well survive a nuclear strike!
NEWSFLASH******
And amongst the wreckage of casa Shuggy......... Only his new phono amp was found to have survived the terrorist attack!
An audiophiles called Darren has kindly taken the traumatized amp home to aid it's recovery in his own system...... :)

Marco
20-12-2010, 20:51
That looks like a serious bit of kit, Hugo - as of course is all of Paul's designs! He really does know his stuff :)

You must let me hear it sometime, perhaps when I go round to Martin's in the New Year for our Techie platter comparisons?

Enjoy! :cool:

Marco.

MCRU
20-12-2010, 21:01
Techie platter comparisons? 2 grown men showing each other their aluminium bits, now that would be a picture on facebook.

Is that really true Marco, surely a beer would be more satisfying.....:cool:...:christmas:

Reid Malenfant
20-12-2010, 21:03
I rather like the industrial chic of this phonograph stage.
It looks like it might well survive a nuclear strike!
NEWSFLASH******
And amongst the wreckage of casa Shuggy......... Only his new phono amp was found to have survived the terrorist attack!
An audiophiles called Darren has kindly taken the traumatized amp home to aid it's recovery in his own system...... :)
Funny you mention that but last night i watched this for the first time 3270 :eyebrows:

It looks like a very seriously thought out phono stage :) I must admit i was a bit dubious about the positioning of the valves in reation to those electrolytics but then it's a phono stage & not a class A power amp for gods sake ;) Not a problem once you think about it...

Nice to see inside of it, i hope it brings you much listening pleasure Hugo, as i'm sure it will 3271

Ammonite Audio
20-12-2010, 21:17
That looks like a serious bit of kit, Hugo - as of course is all of Paul's designs! He really does know his stuff :)

You must let me hear it sometime, perhaps when I go round to Martin's in the New Year for our Techie platter comparisons?

Enjoy! :cool:

Marco.

Just let me know when, and I shall try to be there!

Marco
20-12-2010, 21:19
Techie platter comparisons? 2 grown men showing each other their aluminium bits, now that would be a picture on facebook.

Is that really true Marco, surely a beer would be more satisfying.....:cool:...:christmas:

Lol - there'll be a few beers flowing, too, no doubt! :)

Marco.

Ammonite Audio
03-01-2011, 13:59
Running in the new Veron Concert phono amp has coincided with Expert Stylus Company returning my AT33PTG and Kontrapunkt B cartridges, both fitted with new Paratrace tips, so I've been having a bit of fun via the TD124, Jelco SA-750D and Bob's Devices SUT.

To say that the Veron Concert is better than my old PS Audio GCPH is an understatement. The GCPH sounds almost mechanical in comparison to the Veron Concert, which throws out a huge, colourful soundstage populated by delightful details. There is such "drive" and enthusiasm to the sound that Marco would, no doubt, be very impressed too. Vinyl has never sounded so good in my house. Things can only get better, perhaps with a spot of tube rolling over the coming months. This is one musical little beast that actually costs less than the GCPH!

So, the GCPH (which is a fine phono amp by any standard) must now go, so if anyone is interested in it, let me know;)

As an aside, comparing the two ESCo'd cartridges has been a fascination in itself, because I now have two identical stylus tips, set to identical angles, so any differences are down to the cartridge body/cantilever, suspension, coils, magnets etc (quite a lot, of course, but the tip is taken out of the equation). The AT33PTG is a stunner, irrespective of its price point, and the Paratrace tip has if anything improved it by making it a bit more civilised than before, without subtracting anything of the joie de vivre that the thing had in buckets full. Tracking is rather better, too and surface noise is lower than I recall from when it had its ML tip. The KB was very tired but it's now been rejuvenated to a magnificent degree. Its character is much closer to the AT33PTG's than I expected and it's perhaps a bit more tolerant of surface noise and clicks. I did not expect the KB to communicate the music more effectively to the heart than the AT33PTG, but that appears to be the case; however I do admit that there's very little in it.

This boils down to a huge recommendation for ESCo. The cost of servicing and retipping is so much less than buying a new cartridge (in most cases) that it's a no-brainer to keep old favourites going this way. Yes, ESCo's service is slow, taking up to 4 months, but it's worth it. My recommendation is to get your old cartridges booked in with ESCo now!

DSJR
03-01-2011, 15:38
Thank you Hugo. I'm right cheesed off at the mo, as funds are tight, but I have an OC30 without diamond that is crying out for the EsCo treatment (and the OC9 won't have too long to go) and a wonderful (even Marco would love this one I think) old koetsu Black with one channel out (can they do repairs too, or would Moth Marketing's "Decca Man" be able to assist with repair?).

Forgive if you've posted these but---

:worthless:

Ammonite Audio
03-01-2011, 16:13
Here is one of Paul's photos of the Veron Concert's innards:

http://i56.tinypic.com/esq0cw.jpg

I would post some pics of ESCo's work on my cartridges, but I need an adapter that will allow my DSLR camera to take photos through my Olympus stereo microscope. These adapter things are available, it seems, but I may need help finding the right one. Hamish???

MartinT
04-01-2011, 18:37
To say that the Veron Concert is better than my old PS Audio GCPH is an understatement.

I'm not surprised, Hugo. I felt the same way about my GCPH with the added annoyance of a low level hum I could never quite get rid of. Replacing it with the Whest was a whole new ball game and I'm glad you've found the same with your Veron.

The KB was very tired but it's now been rejuvenated to a magnificent degree. Its character is much closer to the AT33PTG's than I expected and it's perhaps a bit more tolerant of surface noise and clicks. I did not expect the KB to communicate the music more effectively to the heart than the AT33PTG, but that appears to be the case; however I do admit that there's very little in it.

This is fascinating. How are you loading the Ortofon - the same as the AT? What about gain? I'm interested because there are so many Ortofon variants on sale on eBay and I may just take a punt to have an alternative view from the 33PTG.

Marco will be along in a minute to remind me that I must buy an SPU. All in good time :)

Ammonite Audio
04-01-2011, 19:05
The Kontrapunkt B is loaded by the Bobs Devices SUT with exactly the same setting as for the AT33PTG, eg the "low" gain setting. The respective output impedances are very different (5 ohms and 17 ohms respectively), but both work very well with the SUT.

When you have another session with Marco, it would be good to bring the Veron Concert along. I'd very much like to know how it compares with your Whest. It would also be interesting to compare my Paratrace-tipped AT33PTG with your ML tipped original.

Marco
04-01-2011, 19:11
That sounds like a plan, Hugo! :)

In fact, we should thrash out a few dates to see when we're all free...

How's Feb for you guys, maybe the 19th, or the following weekend? :cool:

Marco.

MartinT
04-01-2011, 19:19
Feb 19th or the following Saturday are both fine for me. Sounds like the makings of another good shootout. Bring it on!

Ammonite Audio
04-01-2011, 19:33
Feb 19th or the following Saturday are both fine for me. Sounds like the makings of another good shootout. Bring it on!

I can work with either of those dates.

Marco
04-01-2011, 20:05
Let's do the 19th then, chaps! :)

Maybe get Snoops along, too? How's he doing anyway, Martin? I haven't heard from him in a while :cool:

Marco.

MartinT
04-01-2011, 20:30
I haven't seen Steve for a while, Marco, but I'm sure he's lurking hereabouts.