PDA

View Full Version : Origin Live 1200/12110 PSU's

RnRmf
18-12-2010, 16:13
I can't seem to find any info or reviews on the power supply units that Origin Live can supply for Technics tables. Their own branded turntables, with included power supplies, are frequently very positively reviewed.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the PSU's that they offer?

Here is their general description,
"Origin Live have built an enviable reputation for their turntable supplies. Currently 4 manufacturers of decks in excess of £10,000 use Origin Live designs in their high end turntable power supplies. This expertise developed over decades is now offered for the Technics decks at a price that bears no relation to the incredible performance gain - transformational is the best word to sum up the effect of this upgrade which is equivalent to spending £1000s elsewhere.
The supply is easy to wire in and has a full instructional leaflet with photos - The installation by-passes the Technics transformer and regulator circuit. However the Technics existing switch, strobe and pitch controls remain to function as normal. In essence, once the Origin Live supply is wired in, the technics works exactly as previous but with vastly enhanced musical ability."

Here is the link to their 1200/1210 offerings:
http://www.tonearm.co.uk/dj-technics-arm.htm

and here is a link to the power supply page:
http://www.turntable-power-supply.com/turntable-motor_versions.htm

Any thoughts?

colinB
18-12-2010, 22:29
I had no idea they made a psu for a technics. They use good quality regulators in their Linn and Rega power supply`s so i would imagine they are good.
Some forum members use the paul Hynes psu and rate them highly.

worrasf
20-12-2010, 12:42
Hi Christian,

I have a bit of experience with the OL and Technics.

I have an OL Aurora II with the upgraded OL PSU (as shown at the bottom of the page on your second link) which powers the Aurora motor pod and circuitry. I also have a Technics SL-1210 with a TimeStep external PSU (I have posted a few piccies in the "how to connect and external PSU sticky thread). I have not tried the OL PSU with the Technics but if I get chance I'll check the DC outputs of the TimeStep and OL just to check and if the same I'll see. The OL upgraded PSU is a big brick compared to the somewhat light weight TS PSU.

Regards
Steve

RnRmf
20-12-2010, 23:46
Hi Steve,
That sounds like a very interesting test! I hope you can try it out. It's also informative that the OL PSU is more substantial than the timestep.

Whether that translates into any appreciable sound difference is the question!

So you have the "ultra" PSU with your Origin Live table?

Also interesting that I just noticed that Origin Live's forthcoming top of the line table is going to be some kind of direct drive table!

MCRU
21-12-2010, 09:41
They look nice but why do they have to cost so much!

DSJR
21-12-2010, 10:00
Welcome to the world of top end audio! :(

Domestic electronics is now incredibly cheap on the whole, with large LCD and some plasma screens cheaper than mid priced TV's of fifteen to twenty years ago. Like it or not, the likes of Audiolab (8200 series) and Cambridge Audio are almost certainly setting standards unheard of outside the pro side (and possibly better), far eastern manufacture and therefore low costs keeping prices competitive. Indeed, I caught myself thinking an HD freeview box was expensive at £99 (far more technology in here than a turntable power supply).

You see, some would laugh at a fuse costing £20, but others wouldn't bat an eyelid and buy a good few. I baulk at taking a good tonearm, introducing severe resonances over and above what's there in stock form and then marketing this as an "upgrade," yet many have hailed these products as a Godsend - takes all sorts ;)

Nope, you price one's wares as high as you think the market will stand and the clients with fair disposables don't usually mind. It's penny pinchers like me who cry "RIP OFF!!"

kininigin
21-12-2010, 10:19
i have never understood how some items are priced take the kab fluid damper for example costs $150 and a new MKII tone arm with rewire $165 :scratch:

sorry for going off topic slighty but it does annoy me.

Dave Hewitt
21-12-2010, 10:21
I agree with Dave,near £200 for what looks like a fairy lite transformer.Saw in Aldi electic arc welder £24,I wonder which costs the most to make?
Dave.:scratch:

Mike_New
27-12-2010, 01:39
hi RnRmf

Mike_New
27-12-2010, 01:48
Hi RmRnf,
As I also have an ongoing technical interest in the design of Power supplies for the SL1200; I went to the OL site.
They seem to be offering three versions of PS for the SL1200
one for the 'Silver' at 290.00 a 'Black' version for 340 and the Ultra for 450.00!!
It would seem that they consider that the Black is worthy of a better supply.
Does anyone know what the differences are?

The problem is I could not find any tech info just the prices at the bottom of the Technics page. I did however come across what looke like a useful set of screw-in feet for the SL1200 which I ordered as an alternative for the more expensive options.

Spectral Morn
27-12-2010, 09:16
There are two version of the PSU only. The different colours denote the different models (not to match different turntable models). Mark only offers the colour options after suggestions were made to him to do so (to match the 1200 or 1210 models) by a number of sources.

(1) The Advanced £290 which is available in Silver as standard and Black as a special order finish at an additional £45.

(2) The Ultra £450 which is Black in colour as standard. I guess but you would have to ask Mark Baker but an additional £45 might get you it in silver.

These all come with a wall wart power transformer as standard. For £195 you can also get a massive very heavy power transformer (looks externally the same as that used for his turntables and Ultra phonostage) as an option at time of purchase or as a later addition.

Hope this offers some clarification on things.

Regards D S D L

Mike_New
30-12-2010, 23:51
That seems to be a lot of cash for a "wall wart" tranformer supplied PS compared with what Paul is offering??!! Then you need to pay another 195 for a decent transformer!!
According to my basic arithmatic that comes to Stg645.00
That can't be correct can it?

RnRmf
31-12-2010, 02:16
That seems to be a lot of cash for a "wall wart" tranformer supplied PS compared with what Paul is offering??!! Then you need to pay another 195 for a decent transformer!!
According to my basic arithmatic that comes to Stg645.00
That can't be correct can it?

You are spot on with the price! Thus inquiring minds are curious to know if there's magic inside that psu box...

Mike_New
31-12-2010, 03:28
Got to be some bloody good magic!!!
at current FX rates it represents nearly $1000.00

Techno Commander
31-12-2010, 13:53
A decent transformer and aluminium box shouldnt cost more than £50.

Spectral Morn
31-12-2010, 18:07
You are spot on with the price! Thus inquiring minds are curious to know if there's magic inside that psu box...

Would you mind popping into the Welcome section of AOS and saying hello to the community before you post any further. It is a basic requirement that new members do so. Tell us about yourself, system, taste in music etc and then if you would like to post some photos of your system etc in the Gallery section.

As you have not had first hand experience of the product in question please lay of the snide " magic inside" comments.

Origin Live products are sold via a dealer network and therefore there is a margin built into their pricing.

Neither Paul nor Mike sell via dealer networks....if they did their products would be substantially more expensive. The all ready expensive (imho) Mike New armboard would be ridiculously expensive if sold via a dealer network for instance.

I find it very disappointing that comments re value on a product are being offered here by people who have not heard the actual product in question. When you have then you can imho offer comments re value etc but not before, as the quality of sound this PSU may bring to a Technics 1200/1210 may well be well above its asking price.

The comment re cost of a transformer may be fair (though I don't myself know if its an off the shelf or custom one) but once you have a manufacturer + dealer profit + VAT etc £50 probably becomes £150ish.

Regards D S D L

DSJR
31-12-2010, 18:21
I tend to disagree that you can charge what you like for a "better sound." Those days are long gone Neil and IMO a fair price should be charged for a "£20ish" transformer, circuit board with a handful of penny components and a little box to put them in. Trouble is, the "10 times" rule still appilies - £50 total manufacturing cost (including labour) equals £500 at the store (dealer pays around £300) and in these times I personally think this is excessive. Dave Cawley justified to me why his TS supply costs £300 and without knowing all the costs I have to take it as a fair valuation.

At the end of the day, we're probably talking of a few hundred out of the many thousands of Techies made, so in the wider scheme of things it's neither here nor there. if someone is prepared to pay £500 for the better supply, then fine by me and I hope he (usually a "he" aint it) enjoys it...

colinB
31-12-2010, 18:39
When i was looking for a phono amp i read several reviews on the Moon lp3 and the reviewers all made comment on how quiet the unit was.
To my surprise it came with a Wall Wart which of course should make it noisy.
The OL could be a really good design. Noticed there is a Hi Fi shop in N.Ireland that does a demo of technics decks with and without the OL PSU, Ardowenhifi.

Spectral Morn
31-12-2010, 18:44
I tend to disagree that you can charge what you like for a "better sound." Those days are long gone Neil and IMO a fair price should be charged for a "£20ish" transformer, circuit board with a handful of penny components and a little box to put them in. Trouble is, the "10 times" rule still appilies - £50 total manufacturing cost (including labour) equals £500 at the store (dealer pays around £300) and in these times I personally think this is excessive. Dave Cawley justified to me why his TS supply costs £300 and without knowing all the costs I have to take it as a fair valuation.

At the end of the day, we're probably talking of a few hundred out of the many thousands of Techies made, so in the wider scheme of things it's neither here nor there. if someone is prepared to pay £500 for the better supply, then fine by me and I hope he (usually a "he" aint it) enjoys it...

Hi Dave

I don't believe that that is what I typed.

I have no idea, nor do you, or the other commentators of what is actually inside this *optional transformer* So to be honest I think comments like those above and
A decent transformer and aluminium box shouldnt cost more than £50. are meaningless as no one here knows what it is or how much it costs to make/have made, or what components are in it etc.

I find unqualified comments on products that have not been heard/seen or handled by the commentators very frustrating, which is why I chose to comment above.

I reported the accurate details on the OL PSU here and at this point in time can offer no comments re sound quality/value etc....so I haven't. When I can I will.

Regards D S D L

Mike_New
31-12-2010, 21:57
Maybe someone could ask Mark if he could provide a first level technical description of the two options, and how the DC is connected into the PCB.
Then we all would know a lot more about what is being offered versus the price.

Spectral Morn
01-01-2011, 17:06
Maybe someone could ask Mark if he could provide a first level technical description of the two options, and how the DC is connected into the PCB.
Then we all would know a lot more about what is being offered versus the price.

I would be interested in the technical differences between the two power supplies but to be honest it is how the product performs and it sounds that I am more interested in.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
01-01-2011, 17:18
The OL could be a really good design. Noticed there is a Hi Fi shop in N.Ireland that does a demo of technics decks with and without the OL PSU, Ardowenhifi.

The power of Google at work :)

The guy who owns Ardhowen is a very good friend of mine. Some in the trade will already know this, and that I have also in recent times been offering my help with his website etc, also some will have seen me helping him out at the recent Northern Ireland Audio Show.

Regards D S D L

colinB
01-01-2011, 17:35
Sounds like a cool shop. I always get the feeling that im to much of a prol to venture into London Hi Fi shops so ive never been in any of them.

Reid Malenfant
01-01-2011, 17:42
Sounds like a cool shop. I always get the feeling that im to much of a prol to venture into London Hi Fi shops so ive never been in any of them.
:lolsign: Yeah i'm a bit of a proletariat as well, don't let it put you off ;) I think you might be surprised at the shop owners :eyebrows:

They all come from somewhere, i used to frequent "Hifi Consultants" in Pottyborough which was owned by a certain Steve Wilcox who also might own KJ West1 in London (not 100% on that).. Your money is just as good as anyone elses Colin at the end of the day :)

Spectral Morn
01-01-2011, 17:51
Sounds like a cool shop. .

Strictly speaking Colin its not a shop he runs it from a converted part of his home on a strictly by appointment only basis.

Regards D S D L

colinB
01-01-2011, 18:02
I think thats the way to go.
I did go and audition a sub in a London store ( chain ) and when i told them it wasnt suitable the atmosphere changed to the point i felt very uncomfortable and i dont think ill venture in a store again.

leo
01-01-2011, 18:34
I have no idea, nor do you, or the other commentators of what is actually inside this *optional transformer* So to be honest I think comments like those above and are meaningless as no one here knows what it is or how much it costs to make/have made, or what components are in it etc.

I find unqualified comments on products that have not been heard/seen or handled by the commentators very frustrating, which is why I chose to comment above.

Yes, if its based around something basic and using say cheapo LM317 circuit then I'd say its overpriced. Have to agree though you simply can't judge something you have no experience with, some psu's are far more complex than others, it takes more than looking at the exterior and guess work

Mike_New
01-01-2011, 22:51
The best power supply is no power supply!!
Just use an electro chemical system; like an ordinary battery, The problem is I cannot find a combination of cells that will give 21 Volts.
Then one could really make listening comparisons which would be valid