PDA

View Full Version : powder coating a 1210 plinth

Wakefield Turntables
11-12-2010, 17:10
I'm slowly modifying the stock plinth for my 1210, strobe light, and pitch control have now vanished. I wondered if anyone has ever priced up the possibility of getting the plinth professional sprayed or powder coated, and if anyone has any prices or quotes ??

Beechwoods
11-12-2010, 17:23
Hamish got his powder coated in a vibrant blue finish - I'm not sure how much it cost though http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6087

*Edit* His was done free by a mate :)

Reid Malenfant
11-12-2010, 18:11
If i was you i'd look in the Yellow Pages for this kind of thing ;) You'll probably find what you are looking for under sandblasting & powder coating. I doubt it'd be too expensive tbh, i used to regularly get motorcycle frames blasted & sprayed & it didn't seem to expensive to me at the time :)

You'll need to get your plinth bead blasted as it's alloy or possibly vapour bead blasted & then electrostatically coated with powder & then cooked :lolsign:

With something like this the finish is just about entirely down to how well it's prepared before coating it.

As long as you aren't after some weird colour you might find they can fit it in with other work they are doing to make it cheaper still..

Wakefield Turntables
11-12-2010, 18:29
If i was you i'd look in the Yellow Pages for this kind of thing ;) You'll probably find what you are looking for under sandblasting & powder coating. I doubt it'd be too expensive tbh, i used to regularly get motorcycle frames blasted & sprayed & it didn't seem to expensive to me at the time :)

You'll need to get your plinth bead blasted as it's alloy or possibly vapour bead blasted & then electrostatically coated with powder & then cooked :lolsign:

With something like this the finish is just about entirely down to how well it's prepared before coating it.

As long as you aren't after some weird colour you might find they can fit it in with other work they are doing to make it cheaper still..

I fancied piano black finish to match my ATC SL50 speakers.

Reid Malenfant
11-12-2010, 20:07
I fancied piano black finish to match my ATC SL50 speakers.
You'll probably get that done at a decent price as lots of stuff is powder coated black. As i say, if they can slip it in with something bigger they are working on you'll probably get it cheaper :)

E2A:- To get a dead flat piano black finish you'll probably need to get a seriuosly thick coat applied & then use very fine wet & dry paper to smooth it & then polish it up to mirror finish. Not too bad on something as small as a Technics platter but a pita on anything bigger :doh:

The Vinyl Adventure
11-12-2010, 21:02
Even the liana finish on my Adams isn't quite perfect, the best piano finish I have seen in on my ushers ... Suprising really considering their cost ...

As a side note, when I had blue techie made blue, they warned me off blasting it is they said it might do more harm than good to the aluminiums surface ... No idea of the legitimacy of that comment as I had it done free and they could have been getting out of doing it properly :/

electrafixion
13-12-2010, 02:59
See my post from a while back of my SL-150mk2...I had the plinth from it powder coated with a textured dark grey and I think it looks great. I tried getting my SP-10mk2 plinth powder coated in gloss black but looked pretty rough, every flaw in the aluminum was obvious. I did my 1200 in gloss black auto paint (see my Avatar) and it turned out quite well.

The powder coating cost me $100 Canadian, and the paint job was $150 Canadian at a body shop. I'm not sure if those prices are relevant where you are.