PDA

View Full Version : Turntable Isolation: Best Bang for the Buck?

Vocalpoint
11-12-2010, 16:36
In an ever ending quest to squeeze the very best sound out of my Technics SL-1210M5G - I have been slowly upgrading key elements one at at a time and I am now looking at isolation.

In the spirit of "best bang for the buck" and "I can only afford one upgrade at this time"...would it be more advantageous to:

1. Change the stock feet of my TT to something like Isonoe Audio Isolation System and continue to use it on any reasonably solid surface

OR

2. Stick with the stock feet and add a solid maple isolation platform underneath the table.

Wall shelves, bicycle tubes and other suggestions are not in my plans at this time - both of these upgrades are about the same cost wise...

Would love to hear from folks in the field...especially those with the SL series Technics in their racks..

Cheers!

VP

Rare Bird
11-12-2010, 16:43
Hi Bruce
I think those Isonoe feet are meant to be used on hard surfaces such as Glass but they do sell coasters & glass inserts if not

Vocalpoint
11-12-2010, 16:49
Hi Bruce
I think those Isonoe feet are meant to be used on hard surfaces such as Glass but they do sell coasters & glass inserts if not

So I would have to spring for more addition accessories if I wanted them to be used on a standard wood/metal rack or in my case - the maple laminate top of my recording console/desk?

VP

Wakefield Turntables
11-12-2010, 16:58
A very simple and effective way of terminating the isone feet is to simply place a 6mm piece of Sorbothane under each foot. It'll cost about £5-10 but you get a slightly tighter bass and better seperation between your instruments.

diebenkorn
11-12-2010, 22:32
You could try this http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm
It's the first attempt at isolation/vibration (did the tube and the cups) I have ever done so I have nothing to compare it too. Nevertheless is was definitely improvement over the stock technics feet and I have tape to prove it (at least to myself)! If you look around people have had some really good experiences with doing this (audiokarma, stevehoffman forums). Good luck and oops read through your post why no bicycle tubes? and plus I have the exact same turntable as you.