PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep my CDs

John
09-12-2010, 20:34
I have to put a wall shelf up for a TT, soace is rather limited where it can and the only place to put it is where I have my CDs stored
I got to the point its been months since I used a CD and well over a year since I used a CD player so the question raises itself do I keep the CDs and store them or do I get rid of them

DSJR
09-12-2010, 20:58
Until you sort a streaming option and transfre the discs to hard drive (you'll have to keep the discs to be legally able to play them ;)), I'd put the CD's away for now until you're able to enjoy them better with a better player or system - my opinion, as a good system should reproduce the best in BOTH formats - my opinion...

John
09-12-2010, 21:03
Lol u made me smile Dave.......

DSJR
09-12-2010, 21:39
Glad to be of service :eyebrows:

Whatever, keep the CD's for now is my suggestion :)

Spectral Morn
09-12-2010, 22:04
and then went you don't want them sell all the nice melodic rock ones to me ;)

Regards D S D L

mike1210
09-12-2010, 22:33
I've put all my CD's in wallets and put the cases in the loft, will prob bin them though as I have over 1000. I'd keep the CD's defo.

These are the cases I used

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Caselogic-Nylon-Wallet-280-capacity/dp/B00005ATMG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291934004&sr=8-2

DSJR
10-12-2010, 08:42
You can also get little transparent plastic wallets separately too. Alex UK gave me an idea for doing this, keeping the paperwork inside but dispensing with the jewel cases. I've run out of room and this would be great for me, especially with the compilations.

Ali Tait
10-12-2010, 15:07
I'd get them on at least two hard drives and then sell them on ebay,buy more moozic and do the same again!

Bazil
10-12-2010, 19:21
How many do you have ?

Alex_UK
10-12-2010, 23:08
You can also get little transparent plastic wallets separately too. Alex UK gave me an idea for doing this, keeping the paperwork inside but dispensing with the jewel cases. I've run out of room and this would be great for me, especially with the compilations.

I definitely haven't looked back since going this route - though I do sometimes miss the more "exotic" packaging, but in reality, all I am interested in is the music, and rarely refer to the CD booklet anyway. You can easily find the info online anyway...

goraman
11-12-2010, 04:35
Jhon,Box them up and store them,some day your music collection may need to be reloaded.
If there is stuff you will never listen to agein,sell that.

Rare Bird
11-12-2010, 07:45
Hi John
I voted for you to keep em, it'll soon dawn on you that vinyl is tripe :lol:..
Joking aside.I sold a chunk of my CD collection a bit back but they were to only make way for japanese issues of the same titles but i did sell a massive collection of CD's outright around 10 years ago i wish i'd never done.on the other hand the best thing i ever did was sell a 3,000+ prog vinyl collection that i never look back on apart from the fact it's worth a frightening amount more now than what i got for it back then, shed loads of rare prog fuzzies i had that fetch near on a £500-£1K apiece now :(

Beechwoods
11-12-2010, 07:53
Keep your discs and stick them under your bed. You never know when you'll want to spin an original silver. I have about 400 of my less-listened to albums under my bed. Got 3 very good plastic boxes that keep them visible and dust-free...

John
11-12-2010, 08:11
Thanks everyone
I am going to buy few boxes and store them and get rid of the ones I would not listen too in the future

Rare Bird
11-12-2010, 08:44
Thanks everyone
I am going to buy few boxes and store them and get rid of the ones I would not listen too in the future

Sounds good John..Some people think it's smart to show off with a large collection! i find it a pain in the arse to be honest.After long consideration i managed to make a list of 600 CD's i really wanted to keep, i can accommodate that many. I try buy Japanese editions if i can for sound quality but most important they are card sleeve editions i go for which are like tiny record sleeves, i shelve them just as i would with a vinyl record in a protective poly sleeve, these CD's of course take slightly less shelf space up than a conventional Jewel Case.

Beechwoods
11-12-2010, 09:04
I bag all my digipacks too...

Rare Bird
11-12-2010, 09:23
I bag all my digipacks too...

They arnt digipacks tho nick.. they are mini LP Sleeves (Like the Gentle Giants i sent you)

Marco
11-12-2010, 09:39
Hi John,

I think you've made the right decision, mate. I bet you can't wait to listen to you records again! :)

Incidentally, just a point about vinyl and getting the most from it....

One factor I don't think people pay anything like enough attention to is the importance of keeping records in absolutely MINT condition, as quite simply, hearing sonically what they're capable of fundamentally relies on this.

You can still enjoy CDs and hear them pretty much at their best with a few scratches and finger marks on them, but NOT with vinyl, unless you enjoy the 'Rice Crispy' effect every time you cue-up your favourite tunes..... Far too many people pay scant attention to vinyl hygiene.

How many people here, for example, who own, say, over 500 records don't have a proper RCM?? Come on, own up!! :eyebrows:

If you've got anything like a decent-sized record collection, then the purchase of a professional record cleaner is mandatory, especially if you buy more second-hand albums than new. I wish that I'd bought my VPI YEARS ago, instead of pissing around with ineffectual sprays and cloths, and suffering the clicks and pops and poor quality sound reproduction in the process.

That, IMO, is what makes a lot of people give up vinyl in favour of CDs or downloads.

Now every time I buy records, they go through the VPI, then into a Mo-Fi anti-static bag, and then carefully back into the record sleeve, to form a dust seal - and so every time I want to play them, I know that I'm not only going to enjoy the music, but also hear it at its best.

This is absolutely crucial to the enjoyment of music on vinyl (and to keep your records being continually used and enjoyed) for anyone who also values good SOUND as well as good music - and I'm sure that applies to everyone here!!

The other thing that's CRUCIALLY important, is paying meticulous attention to the optimal set-up of your turntable - and that means not only supporting it properly on a good wall shelf, or stand, but paying anal (and I mean ANAL!) attention to optimising things like the VTA and anti-skate setting of your tonearm, and the alignment, azimuth and VTF of your cartridge.

I've heard significant sonic improvements by simply adjusting the azimuth of a cartridge by less than half a millimetre, or by simply finding the sweet spot with VTA or VTF, again after the most minute of adjustments, where everything then 'clicks into place', sonically.

Again, I don't think enough people have the patience required, or go into sufficient detail with this - or even in some cases have the necessary tools to do the job properly!

How many people here who use a turntable, for example, don't have a proper set of digital stylus pressure scales (I'm not talking about those cheapo jeweller’s scales you get for a £1 made in Taiwan), a headshell spirit level, or a proper alignment protractor - and, crucially, know how to use the latter?

No wonder some folk think vinyl is 'crap' (btw, I'm not referring to you here, Andre ;)) because, quite simply, they don't take the necessary time and effort to hear it at its best!

Vinyl is only 'crap' if:

A) You have a crap turntable.

B) Your records are dirty and are in shit condition.

C) Your T/T and partnering ancillaries aren't set-up properly.

If all of the above issues have been resolved, then even crap recordings (which you can do nothing about) on vinyl are tolerable and made to sound enjoyable. And of course, the best recordings will sound utterly stunning!

So if you think vinyl is 'crap' then perhaps the reason for that is more likely your attitude towards hearing it properly is crap, rather than the any issues with the vinyl itself! ;)

[Rant over]

Marco.

Haselsh1
11-12-2010, 10:05
Every once in a while I go through my CD collection and ruthlessly weed out the shit that I know I shall never listen to again. All of this rubbish goes to a local charity shop who are only to happy to take it.

Now I only have around six hundred CD's but along with the plastic cases, they take up quite a lot of valuable space and in a domestic environment that can mean the difference between love, peace and harmony or divorce. I am very tempted to go the route of the aluminium DJ box that holds around eight hundred discs. I can then file the artwork and chuck those bloody awful plastic boxes.

Of course the answer to the artwork dilemma is vinyl.

Beechwoods
11-12-2010, 10:16
They arnt digipacks tho nick.. they are mini LP Sleeves (Like the Gentle Giants i sent you)

I know what you mean - I just seem to have a lot more digipacks than mini-sleeves so that's what springs to mind. I have the Floyd Japanese mini-LP sleeves though (through to 'Obscured...') and they are fantastic little works of art. The attention to detail is perfect. Even the paper folds and seams are identical to the originals.

Rare Bird
11-12-2010, 10:31
Marco:
Absolutly you must buy a proper record cleaning machine, i used to take my records to a record/book dealer in Sheffield called 'Rare & Racey' on Devonshire street to be cleaned he made a teriffic job of used albums i'd bought, i used him for yonks till i could afford to buy my own a proper cleaning Machine. There's machines & machines aswell.

Beechwoods
11-12-2010, 10:39
I really wish I had an RCM but they cost more than most of my sources... it really is a big investment, but I know that clean records are incredibly important in getting the most from your vinyl. Even new vinyl has stuff on it, release agent and the like, which gets in the way of the music...

MartinT
11-12-2010, 11:19
If you've got anything like a decent-sized record collection, then the purchase of a professional record cleaner is mandatory, especially if you buy more second-hand albums than new. I wish that I'd bought my VPI YEARS ago, instead of pissing around with ineffectual sprays and cloths, and suffering the clicks and pops and poor quality sound reproduction in the process.

Amen to that, Marco. I've moved my Clearaudio Smart Matrix into my listening room now, it's getting so much more use these days. You can't always polish a turd with scratches, but it does help to enhance the enjoyment of any LP. Some of my oldest LPs are quite amazingly good after a clean.

John
11-12-2010, 13:28
What I think I do with the TT is create my own DIY record cleaning machine
I remember when visiting you Marco the difference a good clean made to the records I bought ...but at present it will just have to be a DIY version

Marco
11-12-2010, 15:23
Hi Nick,

I really wish I had an RCM but they cost more than most of my sources... it really is a big investment, but I know that clean records are incredibly important in getting the most from your vinyl. Even new vinyl has stuff on it, release agent and the like, which gets in the way of the music...

Indeed. I've always said though that I'd rather have a second-hand Techie, or say a Rega P2, for less than £300, and an RCM (£500 or so), than an £800 T/T and no RCM............ I'm deadly serious!

In fact, I'd even initially rather spend less money on records, and buy an RCM (then buy more records and build up my collection later) than spend all my spare money on records and have no RCM!

*That* is how fundamentally important I think an RCM is to one's enjoyment of music on vinyl. Moreover, clean records protect your stylus more and thus increases its lifespan... Therefore, for anyone who plays records regularly, an RCM will quite quickly pay for itself!

Trouble is, an RCM isn't a 'sexy' purchase, in the same way as a brand spanking new £800 turntable - and so most folk (very wrongly in my view) will always go the latter route, thinking that they can get their records 'amply' clean with a Knosti, or a few cleaning cloths :doh:

I'm only saying this because I myself only 'saw the light' in this respect about a two years ago, despite having been into vinyl well before then and collecting it for years!

So hopefully others will take note and factor in the cost of an RCM into their T/T and record buying budget. It really is one of the best things you can buy for your system if you play records regularly :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
11-12-2010, 15:31
The Okki Nokki are good value for money if you can't afford say a VPI..

John
11-12-2010, 16:00
Nick also worth thinking about something like this
http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html

Beechwoods
11-12-2010, 16:09
Thanks John. I really would like an RCM at some point. I actually had £300 saved for one a year or so ago, but ended up spending the money (plus a bit more) on my 149's! That looks like a nice project though.

The Grand Wazoo
11-12-2010, 17:35
It's funny isn't it - those who own an RCM will never be without one & swear it's the best investment they ever made. Those who don't own one all know, deep down that it's going to be the best hi-fi investment they ever make.........yet they resist!

This is not meant as a criticism, because I was firmly in the second category for a lot of years. I finally bought mine in 2004/5 and Marco's correct - a cheap TT + RCM beats pricey TT and no RCM. No question.

Rare Bird
11-12-2010, 17:59
Marco's a very lucky lad he has a real high end stand to plonk his RCM on :lolsign:

Marco
11-12-2010, 18:21
Hehehehe.... Aye, it's so high there's bloody snow on top at the moment, and Santa is too scared to go up there!! :eyebrows:

Hi Chris,

This is not meant as a criticism, because I was firmly in the second category for a lot of years. I finally bought mine in 2004/5 and Marco's correct - a cheap TT + RCM beats pricey TT and no RCM. No question.

It's simply a case of 'source first' - and you can't get any closer to the source with a vinyl system than the record itself!! ;)

FACT: a cheaper T/T, arm and cartridge will always sound much better playing squeaky-clean records than a dearer one playing manky (or even just less clean) records, with the stylus trying to negotiate through years of ingrained crud!

Marco.

WAD62
11-12-2010, 21:47
My records desperately need cleaning, is there anyone you know of who would rent out an RCM in or around the west midlands?

Surface noise (and convenience) was one of my primary reasons for moving to digital back in the eighties, but I do have about 1k albums, and an awful lot were bought second hand back in the 70s.

Roughly how long does the process take (I know how long is a piece of string etc.), could I do them all in a week perhaps?

sparrow
11-12-2010, 22:06
A Record Cleaner is top of my list next year..trouble is where to put it..no room at all..in my one bedroom flat.

Rare Bird
11-12-2010, 22:37
Will:
The thing is do you really want to bother with em being a convert since the 80's? Should take a couple mins per side.I can't say i've seen machines for rent but a lot of used record store usually have a service. but the price to get that lot cleaned you would be better buying a second hand machine.

WAD62
12-12-2010, 10:59
Hi Andre,

My main listening is indeed digital, but it would be nice to give all my vinyl a good 'spring clean', on a one off basis.

I've got stuff on Vinyl that just isn't available in any format any more.

It's all a question of cost, if there are any other folks in a similar position in or around the west midlands perhaps we could club together for a second hand one.

Just a thought...

The Grand Wazoo
12-12-2010, 11:24
Finding a used one can be tricky - folks who own them tend not to want to sell them. When they do, they fetch relatively high prices.

MartinT
12-12-2010, 12:46
FACT: a cheaper T/T, arm and cartridge will always sound much better playing squeaky-clean records than a dearer one playing manky (or even just less clean) records, with the stylus trying to negotiate through years of ingrained crud!

Not sure I actually agree with you there, Marco. Yes I do prefer a clean record, no doubt. But I'm amazed at how a good deck cuts through the noise to the core of the music and still does something special with it. This only works when everything is optimal, mind.

MartinT
12-12-2010, 12:49
Roughly how long does the process take (I know how long is a piece of string etc.), could I do them all in a week perhaps?

About 2m per record, so that amounts to 2,000 minutes or 37 hours or over 4 hours per day without a break. I'd say you'd be pushing it...

WAD62
12-12-2010, 12:51
Finding a used one can be tricky - folks who own them tend not to want to sell them. When they do, they fetch relatively high prices.

...that's the way of the world mate.

Might be time for a Blue Peteresque DIY project;)

WAD62
12-12-2010, 12:53
About 2m per record, so that amounts to 2,000 minutes or 37 hours or over 4 hours per day without a break. I'd say you'd be pushing it...

Wishful thinking on my part...

It took 3 months elapsed time to do my 2.5k cds to FLAC, this would be a much messier, and more time consuming project!!! :doh:

webby
12-12-2010, 15:56
I'd get them on at least two hard drives and then sell them on ebay,buy more moozic and do the same again!

The question is, is it legal to do this? I'm sure it's been brought up before but it's worth mentioning again.

Ali Tait
12-12-2010, 16:02
Why not? You bought the cd's to copy. Can't see it being a problem.

Reid Malenfant
12-12-2010, 16:13
Why not? You bought the cd's to copy. Can't see it being a problem.
Apart from it's illegal to own the copy if getting rid of the original CD :eyebrows:

Ali Tait
12-12-2010, 16:25
Really? Does anyone know anybody who has been charged with this?

Reid Malenfant
12-12-2010, 16:28
Personally no :lol: But we all know that ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law if someone ever decided to prosecute ;)

We all do it, i must have quite a few CDs that got ripped from library copies etc :eyebrows:

The Grand Wazoo
12-12-2010, 17:26
I seem to remember they imposed a levy on blank cassettes so that the music industry could have their pound of flesh from the people who were supposedly killing the industry. Was this levy not carried over into music CD-R's - and is that not why they cost more?

Reid Malenfant
12-12-2010, 17:29
Was this levy not carried over into music CD-R's - and is that not why they cost more?
I believe you are entirely correct ;) Didn't stop clever gits like myself swapping the audio disc for a data one as soon as the recorder was in record pause mode though :lol:

MartinT
12-12-2010, 18:54
We all do it, i must have quite a few CDs that got ripped from library copies etc :eyebrows:

Nope, I only rip my own CDs for the car. I would never rip someone else's CD and I wouldn't sell the CDs if I wanted to keep the rips.

Then again, I have to maintain legality at the school I work for and I'm blue in the face explaining to the students that you have to *PAY* for music. They think I block illegal download sites for fun :(

Reid Malenfant
12-12-2010, 18:58
Honesty is the best policy Martin ;) Well done that man :pat:

So what do i do with the copy of a CD that a friend gave me? Errr, forget it, i know the answer :doh:

keiths
12-12-2010, 19:14
As far as I'm aware, there is no 'fair use' provision in UK copyright law (unlike the US and some other countries) - so ripping a copyrighted CD for any purpose (copy for the car, backup in case original gets scratched, for MP3 player etc) is technically just as illegal as copying a friends/library cd etc. Bonkers. :doh:

Reid Malenfant
12-12-2010, 19:22
As far as I'm aware, there is no 'fair use' provision in UK copyright law (unlike the US and some other countries) - so ripping a copyrighted CD for any purpose (copy for the car, backup in case original gets scratched, for MP3 player etc) is technically just as illegal as copying a friends/library cd etc. Bonkers. :doh:
From what i have read previously & from various sources i think you are correct & yes it's bloomin 3220

I think if anything was going to be done about it in the way of a prosecution you'd be looked on much more favourably if you happened to have the original to hand.

The thing that makes me laugh is this though. I used to record TV programs onto HDD on my DVD recorder & then edit them up & transfer these to a PC & end up with said program on a DVD. I guess i could get prosecuted for that as well even though it's not the original DVD disc being copied :mental:

The Grand Wazoo
12-12-2010, 19:37
As far as I'm aware, there is no 'fair use' provision in UK copyright law

So, I'm incorrect then? (post 46)

keiths
12-12-2010, 21:41
So, I'm incorrect then? (post 46)

You are correct that a levy was placed on CD-Rs specifically for domestic CD recorders (not sure about cassettes?), but the levy was to compensate the rights holders for illegal copying - it didn't 'legalise' fair-use copying.

The Grand Wazoo
13-12-2010, 00:00
Oh, OK a subtle but significant difference - but shouldn't that mean they can't sue, as they've been compensated in advance?
Sounds like the cake's already been eaten - now they want it back!

Alex_UK
13-12-2010, 21:55
Nope, I only rip my own CDs for the car. I would never rip someone else's CD and I wouldn't sell the CDs if I wanted to keep the rips

I do the same - I very much doubt there would ever be a prosecution for maintaining a backup copy or spare, if you have the original. I do sometimes listen to copied CDs that people have done for me, but always either buy the original or ditch the copy - a few may have slipped through the net, but my belief is that piracy is tantamount to stealing (I know we've had another thread that discussed this and I deliberately stayed away!) and I don't do it - not that I am being judgemental about those who do, just one of my morals.