PDA

View Full Version : Touch Questions -with Cog/Audirvana

Bonky
07-12-2010, 12:42
Hi, I've just unpacked the Touch and it's up and running with iTunes - listening to Band on the Run (Remastered 24/96). Extra leads and a caiman + gator are on order...

However,

I can't see how to output the same tracks using Cog or Audirvana (via Airfoil). I have them in the playlists, I disable itunes connectivity in the Squeezebox pane - but nothing.

Am I missing something (besides grey cells)?
Thanks

Richard

WAD62
07-12-2010, 12:48
Wouldn't you be better off using SqueezeServer as the server and not Itunes, ReplayGain and all that good stuff...

Bonky
07-12-2010, 16:04
Thanks; that was what I was trying to do.

It seems to be working OK now - I had to adjust the settings on the Touch rather than on the MAc - which surprised me.

BW

Richard

(Presumably the audio leads that came with the touch are pretty naff and should be replaced?)

WAD62
07-12-2010, 16:13
Richard,

Not sure about the cables, I only have 2 receivers, and a classic, and no cables came with them.

I run one into an Audiolab DAX via a CAT5 BNC link (my main system), on the others I use QED Qunex 3 from the analogue output, not sure that the DAC stage on the receiver/classic deserves much more.

The touch should be a better standalone DAC

Bonky
07-12-2010, 17:39
Thanks.

I don't suppose there's anyway I can point Airfoil on the Mac to the mysqueezebox server?

In case you wonder why one should want to do this, I was trying to use the Touch at the same time that I was trying to stream the same music to 2 other locations in the house - but using 2 Airport Extremes (Apple's).

I think it's one or the other, but...

Thanks

Richard

Bonky
07-12-2010, 18:44
I've just done AB comparisons between the Touch and Airport Express.
(Various tracks pop and violin etc). The touch was streamed with 24/96 files in FLAC format, the AE with the same tracks in ALAC or AIFF..

and guess what..

I prefer the AE ... it's less muffled.

Does the touch need time to burn in?

Perhaps better cabling will help?

...and of course Stan's Caiman+ Gato combo..

...mmm....

any comments (as to how to improve the Touch) gratefully received!

BW

Richard

WAD62
07-12-2010, 18:48
Richard,

First of all I know next to nothing about Macs, and have no idea what airfoil is, but I have a question, aren't you running SqueezeServer on the Mac?

I presumed that one sets up a mac version in the same way as a linux (my implementation), or Windows setup, i.e. the server and data reside a computer, the touch is the client.

I know that the touch can be used as a server too, but that's a bit compromised by some limitations.

There are some other MAC/squeezebox user on here, they might be able to give you some more concrete advice

Bonky
07-12-2010, 20:33
Hi, Airfoil is a program that lets you stream any program/app that contains valid music files. The standard Mac can only stream iTines to, say, AE.

You are right, I have used the squeezebox server. I think the configuration is the same in Win/Linux/Mac.

I don't know what else to add here; I may need to wait for the arrival of the caiman+ gato.

BW

Rich

trailer
08-12-2010, 17:29
You can only output Airfoil to the AE. I'm pretty sure that the AE can't do Hi Res.