PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge change ideas on 1210 with Jelco 750D?

mike1210
06-12-2010, 18:41
Hello all,
For a while I've had a Denon DL160 on my 1210 which has been tidy. It's coming up to 2 years old so ideally needs replacing in the not too distant future.

Current setup is 1210 with Timestep PSU, Isonoe Feet with Glass Panels and rubber base, Jelco 750D (sound hifi plate), sound hifi mat (Acromat on order) and soon to have a Mike New bearing.

I like a warm musical heavy base sound as I listen to mainly Dance tunes.

Phonon stage is a Dino Mk2 with lead and plus power supply.

I had my heart set on a Denon DL103-SA however from searching on here, to get the most from this I'd need an Ortofon Headhsell and SUT. Also not sure what this would be like with the Dino? Could I live without the SUT?

Any ideas on other carts to try?

Mike:)

blake
06-12-2010, 19:21
Contrary to popular belief you do not need an SUT to get the best out of 103/103R. Your Dino has almost exactly the right gain on the MC setting of 62-63 db. to match up perfectly with those cartridges.

My personal feeling is that the 103SA is a bit pricey for what it is: a Denon 103R with a souped up body. If you're comfortable doing a bit of surgery on the stock 103/103R you can transplant it into something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Denon-103-103r-AUMINIUM-BODY-UPGRADE-/130452122338?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5f8d6ae2

at a very reasonable cost and have lots of money left over for records or other purchases. It requires a steady hand-you can ruin the cartridge. If you don't feel comfortable doing it then pay someone who does feel comfortable working on cartridges to do it for you and you will still come out way ahead of the game.

The heavier weight of the aluminum body (and the additional weight you'll need at the headshell to have the cartridge perform its best) will require the optional heavier counterweight from Jelco which is a bit of an expense but you'll have that and then have total flexibility for a myriad of cartridges from light to heavy.

You also do not need a heavier headshell. For $15 you can simply order a VPI stainless headshell weight (3 grams) which will actually be pretty close to ideal as the aluminum bodied Denon will weigh in around around 12-13 grams, or if you want a bit more weight than that you could take the Technics headshell weight (which is magnetic unfortunately and not good to have around the Denons) and take it to any machine shop for them to use as a blank and machine you a stainless weight in the 3-8 gram range to simply fix on top of the stock Jelco headshell.

Once you wear out the conical on your aluminum bodied 103/103R (read the reviews on the Zu 103) you can ship it off to Expert Stylus to have it retipped with a line contact stylus and you'll never think of buying another cartridge again.

I've been using 103R's in wood bodies for the better part of 4 years now, my current version being an ebony with a Soundsmith ruby cantilever and line contact stylus. I have an ADC body here and plan to shift my spare 103R into that and then send that one off to Soundsmith. These cartridges are capable of comparison with very exotic cartridges and the Jelco with a bit of additional mass is a very good matchup with them.

Tarzan
06-12-2010, 19:53
Nice T/T that mate:). Review when your new mat and bearing?

DSJR
06-12-2010, 22:58
Mr Blake has it spot on. I still can't bring myself to take the SPU seriously (I look forward to being proved wrong here ;)), but the 103 recommendations are spot on for you i think :)

Marco
06-12-2010, 23:06
Lol - oh you'll have your ears suitably opened at Scalford Hall in that respect, dahling, trust me! :eyebrows:

Blake talks a lot of sense (and obviously speaks from a position of considerable experience), although there are a couple of points where I would slightly disagree.... :)

I'll comment on this tomorrow. Right now, I'm too busy enjoying stunning sounds on my Techie, and the SPU and Mike New platter are more than a little instrumental in that! ;)

Marco.

Allan W.
07-12-2010, 23:21
I recently up graded my 1210 MKII with a Jelco SA-750. I had a Denon DL-103 that sounded ok with the stock arm but came to life with the new arm. At it's price you can't go wrong.

mike1210
14-12-2010, 00:58
Many thanks all :)

I think a 103 is defo on the cards for me.