PDA

View Full Version : Sound quality via Apple TV

pwood
06-12-2010, 13:18
Can anyone say how they find the lossless streamed sq into a decent amp and speakers. I read in What Hifi it upsamples the sound regardless but ultimately I would prefer to know what yours ears are telling you. I canny justify a Sonos kit and the Apple TV has other uses especially now my iPad has the airplay feature.

pwood
06-12-2010, 13:25
Found this (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/New-Apple-TV-NOT-bit-perfect) which is less than positive.

trailer
06-12-2010, 13:52
I've got an ATV2G and recently acquired a Sonos set up. I'm only using the digital outs in comparison but whilst the Sonos is better (more refined and better definition) there isn't a great deal in it when you take into account the price of each one. Plus Idon't think that the ATV wasn't primarily designed to stream hi-fi quality music.

pwood
06-12-2010, 14:38
Thanks for that trailer,

How do you find the net radio options on the ATV2 and if you have the facility how is airplay? I like using Last fM on the iPad but from what i have read it unclear if that would work via airplay.

trailer
06-12-2010, 19:00
To be honest I haven't used the ATV for net radio. I have for the Sonos, purely because it is so much easier to use and add channels. I've tried the Airplay from an iPhone with 4.2 OS and it works rather well. I'm using the ATV for everything but music at present, flickr and streaming video etc. The Sonos is easier to use for streaming music. It doesn't require a PC on for a start and take it's resources. I still add music using iTunes and just point the SOnos to the iTUnes library where it picks everything up.

pwood
06-12-2010, 19:38
Sonos!! if only i could justify the outlay:scratch:

goraman
07-12-2010, 03:30
If you are streaming the Sonos is most likely better.
But If you want to rip CD's to Apple lossless and store them in the hard drive of an older ATV and use an optical glass cable to a stand alone DAC.
FANTASTIC!!!!
I put a 500gig hard drive in mine and modded it to run much cooler.
It sounds better then My Music Hall CDP!

pwood
07-12-2010, 11:48
Beermat size and no external transformer was the draw. Really unsure now if I want (need!! when did that ever stop us) one :scratch:

Chippy_boy
14-12-2010, 14:53
If you are streaming the Sonos is most likely better.
But If you want to rip CD's to Apple lossless and store them in the hard drive of an older ATV and use an optical glass cable to a stand alone DAC.
FANTASTIC!!!!
I put a 500gig hard drive in mine and modded it to run much cooler.
It sounds better then My Music Hall CDP!

Agreed.

I have all my music ripped and stored as Apple lossless and stream it from an ATV mk1 through a benchmark DAC1-HDR and the sound is totally awesome. The combo is better than the £4,000 Tag CD/DVD player it replaced, although to be fair, much of that is down to the Benchmark, which is particularly good at sorting out poor quality digital sources. The AppleTV with a Beresford Caiman was also good, but not up to the standard of the ATV/Benchmark combination.

pwood
14-12-2010, 19:28
Can anyone tell me if you can get Last.Fm in the radio stations or if airplay will stream to it via IPhone/pad/touch.

Edit: no such station in iTunes so I'm guessing the answers no.

trailer
14-12-2010, 20:06
Can anyone tell me if you can get Last.Fm in the radio stations or if airplay will stream to it via IPhone/pad/touch.

Can't see how you can add last.fm to iTunes radio stations but it will stream via Airplay off my iPhone (OS 4.2.1).

pwood
15-12-2010, 16:26
Thanks Trailer.

Bruce M
05-01-2011, 21:29
I have an atv1. I bought it although I knew the atv2 was due out so it would have the internal HD. Constant streaming for Atv2 is less convenient to me.

You can add your own choice of Internet radio stations by creating a playlist and adding a list of "streams" using the drop-down menus in iTunes. Then when you sync the ATV they appear as inside the playlist.

However, I don't think it would work with last.fm though.

Bruce M
05-01-2011, 21:47
Actually , I could be wrong about last.fm.

If you are running the dedicated player on a networked laptop or pc the player provides a local URL via which the music is echo'd.

If you add this stream to iTunes as per above, you should be able to sync it to the ATV box.

In theory :)