PDA

View Full Version : Technics armboard source

electrafixion
06-12-2010, 06:02
Hi Everyone,

I've got a spare 1200 and a SME V, and I'd love to try them together, but I need an armboard to make that happen. Soundsupports sell them for 30 pounds, but they're out of stock and say they won't have more until some time next year. Sound Hi-Fi lists them on their website, but the 90 pound price is a little more than I want to spend to just give this combo a try. Does anyone know of any other sources?

Thanks in advance,

Trevor

Spectral Morn
06-12-2010, 10:33
Hi Everyone,

I've got a spare 1200 and a SME V, and I'd love to try them together, but I need an armboard to make that happen. Soundsupports sell them for 30 pounds, but they're out of stock and say they won't have more until some time next year. Sound Hi-Fi lists them on their website, but the 90 pound price is a little more than I want to spend to just give this combo a try. Does anyone know of any other sources?

Thanks in advance,

Trevor

If you look on ebay for Jelco 750D arm boards the guy who makes those is planning on doing an SME one. I asked him last month and he said it would be ready for December.

i am in work at the minute otherwise i would get you a link.

Regards D S D l

chris@panteg
06-12-2010, 10:35
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jelco-SA-750D-SA-250-Armboard-Technics-1200-1210-Plate-/150529456125?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230c4137fd

:)

Spectral Morn
06-12-2010, 11:38
Just had a look and no SME armboard yet......

Regards D S D L

electrafixion
06-12-2010, 15:50
Thanks Chris, I'll keep an eye on that Seller's auctions.

Wakefield Turntables
06-12-2010, 21:40
You could always try Mike New he makes a solid copper armboard for the V.

Mike_New
07-12-2010, 02:50
Hi Trevor,
Yes, as REXTON sugests, I can supply a solid copper arm board machined to fit the SME mounting. However with such a quality arm you may find that you need a better bearing and an external power supply to do it justice!!

Spectral Morn
07-12-2010, 10:44
Hi Trevor,
Yes, as REXTON sugests, I can supply a solid copper arm board machined to fit the SME mounting. However with such a quality arm you may find that you need a better bearing and an external power supply to do it justice!!

Can you post some photos of your armboard Mike ?

Regards D S D L

Tarzan
07-12-2010, 13:53
Wow! how much Mike?:)

Mike_New
08-12-2010, 04:58
Can you post some photos of your armboard Mike ?

Regards D S D L

http://img704.imageshack.us/i/smearmplatecopper.jpg/

The pic you see is of the arm board I made for Pete which is a bit thicker than my reccomended weight of 3.2mm
The price is $255.00 plus postage of $25.00
You may find that you are a bit short of height for VTA adjustment, this seems to be the problem with all transplanted arms into the SL11200.
My Bearing Base Plate provides an additional height of 6mm.

The Grand Wazoo
08-12-2010, 07:46
Your picture's not working for me, Mike.

Mike_New
08-12-2010, 10:57
Lets try again,
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/4631/smearmplatecopper.jpg
does that work?

Mike_New
08-12-2010, 11:01
The cheese head bolts shown are not exactly elegant, the button or mushroom headed bolts look much nicer.

Spectral Morn
08-12-2010, 11:48
Thank you Mike

That is probably the sort of thing I need for me to be able to mount my Graham arm. However as you say it will place the arm quite high and thus correct VTA may be difficult to obtain.

Regards D S D L

Tarzan
08-12-2010, 16:23
Wow!:eek: That looks mental Mike, why a copper armboard over say an aluminum armboard?

Mike_New
08-12-2010, 23:32
Tarzan,
For the same reason I am now producing the Copper Composite Platter, it absorbs resonance. it is annealed at 600degC in the same way as the 3mm copper plate on the platter. Any good quality arm be it a Jelco, SME. DynaVector or other, requires a solid, non resonant, one-piece base on which to be clamped. The diameter of the SL1200 at 120mm is too large to permit of the use of a two piece assembly held together with small watch sized screws. It will act as a diaphram and vibrate lik a cow bell in a stampede.

For those that are concerned about VTA space, the Bearing Base Plate can be supplied and used with the standard bearing if so required. What it does, is to effectively raise the whole assembly up by 6mm, thus you gain about 3mm in VTA height.

What I could easily do, is to machine a deeper recess into a thicker arm plate, (although this would be more costly) so as to position the arm base at a lower position relative to the top surface of the platter. The problem here is that arms like the SME become difficult to adjust when they go deeper down into the well of the SL1200 chassis.

It is far better to raise the platter assembly up for easier accessabillty, for all arm transplants.

electrafixion
09-12-2010, 02:10
Hi Trevor,

Actually Mike I'm already the proud owner of one of your bearings...I won one on eBay which that former Dealer listed a few weeks back.

Mike_New
09-12-2010, 02:53
Hi Electrafixion,
Thats fantastic I didn't know. So now with all the money you have saved!!!!!!! you can get my new Platter and Base Board and Arm Plate.
when shall I send it?????
By the way did you get the installation instuctions, there are a couple of procedures which are very important.
email me and I will send them to you.

electrafixion
09-12-2010, 04:49
Thanks Mike, I haven't fitted it yet, so I'll send you a PM with my email addy.

Good point about the savings on the bearing, too bad my wallet is still stinging from the SME V bill:lol: