PDA

View Full Version : Froggy's Favourites - Vintage oatcake spinners

Frog-n-Oatcakes
05-12-2010, 22:12
Its all about the adventure, and fine oatcakes from Stoke on Trent.

I was exiled to France because I had a better oatcake spinning system than evil Lord Oatcake.....so now I am a vintage fanatic on a lonely journey. :)

This evening I set up a Denon DN-308 and Pioneer Exclusive P3. You can see from the photos how massive both turntables are, both have their individual beauty in a way.

The Denon DN-308 uses the same motor block as the DP-100m. One thing that links these tow turntables is their immense starting torque. Personally I love the VU meters on the Denon, the system has a built in phono stage so you can rub it directly into a preamp or power amp...there is also a monitor setup with a small speaker so you can listen to the tracks without hooking up the rest of the system. Otherwise there is a line out option directly...select mono or stereo and you are away, the tonearm is a very useful and straighforward 12" DA-308.

It took three of us to get the Denon into the studio today. It isn't yet fully hooked up to the main system as I need to buy longer cables. I will also add in the Denon DL-103Pro and sort out a grounding/earth problem...will post more photos of this beast tomorrow. It has doors so you can peer in to the electronics area.

As you can see the Pioneer is a massive turntable and very well put together. I managed to pick up a NOS Shure V-15 MkIII from way back, running this directly into the Shindo pre phono stage sounds absolutely..well...awesome. Bass is HUGE, the little beggar tracks at less than 1g. Definitely, one of the best turntables I have heard, and Pioneer services them....great company.

More photos to come soon.

Frog-n-Oatcakes
05-12-2010, 22:20
Here are a few more shots.

Jonboy
05-12-2010, 22:20
just been going misty eyed looking at your pics over on the wam ,lovely kit you have, i'm not jelous at all :)

Frog-n-Oatcakes
05-12-2010, 22:26
Thanks very much. I love to share the experience and will endeavour to be truthful and unbiased in my accounts!

As it stands the system is:

Accuphase DP700 (to be replaced) --> YAL YFD-18 DAC (the reason the Accuphase is being replaced!) --> Shindo 77 preamp --> McIntosh Mc275 (to be replaced by SIT amps) --> Yamaha NSX-10000.

The Yams will be replaced eventually by a DIY speaker system.

It would be a pleasure to have anyone over to listen to it. I live next to Strasbourg Parlaiment.

Spectral Morn
05-12-2010, 23:22
What a stunning looking and no doubt wonderful sounding system.

Regards D S D L

Marco
05-12-2010, 23:39
Denon DP-100?? Oh mammy, daddy....... You've just made me wet my plastic pants with excitement - that's one of my fav turntables of all time, along with the EMT950!!!! :eek: :eek:

And VU meters, too - I think I need a lie down!! If you ever think of selling it, please remember me, as I'd have the Euros in your bank account quicker than you can say Gewürtztraminer!! ;)

Awesome stuff, Ritchie. Let us know how the 103Pro sounds - I suspect it will sound superb. Love those big Yamaha monitors, too - proper speakers!! :respect:

What studio do you work in, then? :)

Marco.

Frog-n-Oatcakes
06-12-2010, 10:01
Sure :)

The EMT 950 is a good machine although I found it's playback quite pale in comparison to these tt's. I think it does have it's place in the right system...with the EMT's I think its a case of getting the 930 or 927 with the 139 tube phonostage. I had a 950 fully renovated by EMT Technik (about 25kms from my home) and I loved it...as an investment I think they are really good value at the moment.

My approach to selling stuff is that I sell whenever I know I can purchase the same again relatively easily. I imported perhaps some of the first DN-308FT's into Europe around 4 years ago and 4 of them sold to a studio in Austria and the other to a gent in Italy. They originally came from a contact at Denon Labs so if I get another one offered to me then you are welcome to buy it...my little business just fuels my hobby really.

I am hoping to set up a studio of my own. Not for recording sessions intially but more a homage to European and Japanese broadcast equipment and highend vintage. Anyone is welcome to come over and listen, I am not a shop however.

The Yamaha's are amazing speakers. The drivers are hand wound and the sealed BIG boxes put out a very tight and balanced sound. It is like being inside two HUGE headphones :))

Perhaps I can take a video with my camera and put it on Youtube...problem is capturing all of the bandwidth really. I only have a Panasonic Lumix GF-1 with video mode :)

Ritchie

Denon DP-100?? Oh mammy, daddy....... You've just made me wet my plastic pants with excitement - that's one of my fav turntables of all time, along with the EMT950!!!! :eek: :eek:

And VU meters, too - I think I need a lie down!! If you ever think of selling it, please remember me, as I'd have the Euros in your bank account quicker than you can say Gewürtztraminer!! ;)

Awesome stuff, Ritchie. Let us know how the 103Pro sounds - I suspect it will sound superb. Love those big Yamaha monitors, too - proper speakers!! :respect:

What studio do you work in, then? :)

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
06-12-2010, 14:30
OMG Yamaha NSX10000 speakers :eek: I'm just a tad jealous :stalks:

Never seen a pair or a picture of them until now, beautiful 3157

Guess i'll just have to stick to the 3 pairs of NS1000Ms that i bought :eyebrows: Or should i say the remains of them :lolsign:

Frog-n-Oatcakes
08-12-2010, 16:00
I'll post some more pics of the Yams in the 'systems' thread later :)

I will try and post some photos of the internals on the Denon 308 when I get back from my chinese lesson tonight.

Zai jian!

Reid Malenfant
08-12-2010, 16:18
I'll post some more pics of the Yams in the 'systems' thread later :)

Zai jian!
You'll make me go all weak at the knees :eyebrows:

:stalks:

Frog-n-Oatcakes
01-01-2011, 19:52
I posted my first video on youtube the other day. I have a couple more to upload. I wanted to catch the Nakamichi before it goes to Austria next week.

I plan to buy a Zoom H4N or Tascam DR-100 to record the system and speakers from time to time. I might something recorded before the Yamaha NSX speakers make their way to Chile on wednesday!

http://www.youtube.com/user/RareHifi?feature=mhum

SRFpd0ahvj4

I know...no music at all :doh:

A very happy new year to you all! May 2011 bring the best for you and your families.

oxzu
15-11-2012, 21:57
Hi frogy.

Do you have any Denon dn 308f for sale?

Regards
Erik

DSJR
16-11-2012, 13:18
Ohhhhhhhhh craaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two of the best turntables ever made and such great lookers too and those Yams, if they're the ones I thjink they are, really do make the standard NS1000's sound fussy and "synthetic" - yep, I still keep going on about it, but these bigger ones BREATHED in a way the smaller popular model couldn't do - IMO...

Enjoy your gear, and maybe get a Garrard auto deck like an SL95B or summat (even an SP25) just to show you how GOOD the decks you have really are :lol:

Platoo168
09-01-2014, 01:41
Frogy

I am also on the path of vintage gear. I am considering to buy denon 308f due to its options. Eg phono, break, monitor, switch. Can u tell me more about how they sound, Compare to the exclusive p3 ans nakamichi tx1000. Also i am interest in your saec plint sbx. I am looking for this for a while but couldn't get my hand on them. Is it worth the search or should i bought another alternative or create diy of my own. Thx

ff1d1l
12-01-2014, 17:49
You rule. I drool.

Floyddroid
11-02-2014, 22:07
Fantastic. Left me wobbly at the knees:)