PDA

View Full Version : Audio Note Kondo Clone

swampy
04-12-2010, 15:11
Audio Note Kondo Clone - Tube Pre-Amp M7

This is a scratch DIY Build. It uses the Audio Note Kondo M7 pre-amp circuit but has been tweaked to use Mullard E80CC SQ Tubes. It can also use 12AY7 Tubes which are reasonable cost.

2 RCA Inputs, 1 Output

Ultra quiet (totally silent) re noise and hum due to overkill on the power supply which takes up 2/3rds of the case !!

Separate HT and Heater Transformers.
Regulated Heaters
10H HT Choke
CRCLCRC Power Supply.. 3 PI Network Supply
Star Earth
Silver in Teflon Audio Wire
Hard Wired
PEC Carbon Volume Control
MDHT Film Foil Output Caps
2 x NEW Mullard Gold Pin E80CC Tubes

I am only looking to recover the parts cost for another project. This would best suit a Tube power amp as it has plenty gain and drive. £290 with the the 2 x Mullard Tubes which are £75 each on eBay and brand new with only several hours use making the pre itself £140. Buyer to collect. I'll sell it without tubes maybe. Also if you want to try it in your own system for a day then no problem.

I have been using it with my F5 Class A and it has a little too much gain so switching back to my B1 buffer.

http://www.dms-audio.webspace.virginmedia.com/photos/pre-1.jpg

http://www.dms-audio.webspace.virginmedia.com/photos/pre-2.jpg

SteveW
04-12-2010, 16:40
pm

swampy
04-12-2010, 18:53
Ok... Provisionally Sold.

sondale
10-12-2010, 18:30
Ok... Provisionally Sold.
Did it get past provisional?

I ask as I have built some Paul Hynes SE1's which whisper to me - whereas the F5s fill the room - so something with this amount of grunt would really suit them.

Alan

SteveW
11-12-2010, 18:39
Did it get past provisional?

I ask as I have built some Paul Hynes SE1's which whisper to me - whereas the F5s fill the room - so something with this amount of grunt would really suit them.

Alan
Sorry Alan, this got past provisional when I collected it from David last week.
An amazing bit of kit. Beautifully built.

For the present it is used in a second/third system being fed by an Airport express into a Caiman. The pre then feeds another clone, Duncan's (Tubehunter) Avondale Naim 135's. these then go into a pair of Indian speakers (long story, I spent some time there)
I never would have believed this combo could sound so bloody good. In fact the whole lot may be transplanted into the sitting room in the new year. I always felt that the Airport express was a bit of a rubbish source. Its not. God knows what a Linn DS will sound like through it.

So a happy Christmas will be spent with this being fed itunes xmas carols, the usual christmas rubbish and right now my daughter has found some old Xmas jazz compilation whilst the tree is being decorated. Sounds wonderful.

:cool:

sondale
12-12-2010, 12:28
Oh well - glad it is being enjoyed.:santa: