PDA

View Full Version : Another meaningless thread

magiccarpetride
29-11-2010, 17:59
I'm curious, by the show of hands, how many people here have lasting aural memory?

I, for one, think I possess a pretty decent ability for aural recollection. It was a while ago when I first heard Linn Akurate DS box streaming into a decent audio chain. That became my yardstick for any future digital upgrades. So I basically took it from there, and didn't stop until I started hearing better rendition of one song that bowled me over through Akurate. That song was "Six Blade Knife" by Dire Straits.

I can still recall every little detail and nuance of that performance through Akurate. I can recall, at will, the exact physical, palpable way the cymbals were shimmering on that track. I can recall vividly the roughness and the tonal coloration of Mark Knopfler's voice on that song.

Returning home and replaying that song on my stereo, I quickly realized that I'm not even in the ballpark when it comes to hearing that song properly. This prompted me to go on an upgrade rampage (I first ditched my CD player and bought Squeezebox Duet -- Touch wasn't available yet), and I didn't stop until I've reached the point where I felt that this song now plays better on my system than it played on that demo Akurate system.

A bit anal, eh? But a guy has to have some sort of a yardstick, don't you think?

How's about you? Can you have a strong recollection of the sound you've heard through some kick-ass stereo?

Jonboy
29-11-2010, 18:35
=magiccarpetride;167186]I'm curious, by the show of hands, how many people here have lasting aural memory?

I can't remember the last time i had a bit of oral

Sorry i couldn't resist:eyebrows:

Marco
29-11-2010, 18:57
Jon's maintaining the usual high standard of discussion here, I see! ;)

Marco.

Welder
29-11-2010, 19:22
“I can still recall every little detail and nuance of that performance through Akurate. I can recall, at will, the exact physical, palpable way the cymbals were shimmering on that track. I can recall vividly the roughness and the tonal coloration of Mark Knopfler's voice on that song”

Alex mate, you just isn’t takin enough drugs man! :lolsign:

magiccarpetride
29-11-2010, 19:50
Jon's maintaining the usual high standard of discussion here, I see! ;)

Marco.

He fucks on the first date!

AlanS
29-11-2010, 22:58
I'm curious, by the show of hands, how many people here have lasting aural memory?

I, for one, think I possess a pretty decent ability for aural recollection. It was a while ago when I first heard Linn Akurate DS box streaming into a decent audio chain. That became my yardstick for any future digital upgrades. So I basically took it from there, and didn't stop until I started hearing better rendition of one song that bowled me over through Akurate. That song was "Six Blade Knife" by Dire Straits.

I can still recall every little detail and nuance of that performance through Akurate. I can recall, at will, the exact physical, palpable way the cymbals were shimmering on that track. I can recall vividly the roughness and the tonal coloration of Mark Knopfler's voice on that song.

Returning home and replaying that song on my stereo, I quickly realized that I'm not even in the ballpark when it comes to hearing that song properly. This prompted me to go on an upgrade rampage (I first ditched my CD player and bought Squeezebox Duet -- Touch wasn't available yet), and I didn't stop until I've reached the point where I felt that this song now plays better on my system than it played on that demo Akurate system.

A bit anal, eh? But a guy has to have some sort of a yardstick, don't you think?

How's about you? Can you have a strong recollection of the sound you've heard through some kick-ass stereo?

Only comment - memory is an illusion of time, especially when it comes to Dire Straits.

Rare Bird
29-11-2010, 23:01
I remember the sound of best stereo's i ever had & it certainly wernt this side of 25 years ago

WAD62
30-11-2010, 13:34
“I can still recall every little detail and nuance of that performance through Akurate. I can recall, at will, the exact physical, palpable way the cymbals were shimmering on that track. I can recall vividly the roughness and the tonal coloration of Mark Knopfler's voice on that song”

Alex mate, you just isn’t takin enough drugs man! :lolsign:

...indeed!!!

The best sound I've ever experienced at a gig was Mogwai at the Melkweg in Amsterdam...which had absolutely nothing to do with a punnet of Mexican mushrooms which had been consumed earlier by me and the missus!!!

I could best describe the sound as err...liquid