PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer PL-71.

southall-1998
28-11-2010, 23:22
Any member here own this turntable?

I've read some good things about this tt.

I'm thinking about getting one soon for fun.

John
29-11-2010, 05:05
Speedy Steve used to have one and he rated it

southall-1998
29-11-2010, 15:38
OK, interesting.

chris@panteg
30-11-2010, 10:28
Hi Shane

Not owned one ' but had a good listen to a PL71 , its very good IMHO ! if you can find one for a good price , but it may need some servicing ' in which case Vantage audio should be able to help .

southall-1998
01-12-2010, 01:06
Chris,

When you herd the PL-71, how would you discribe it's sound?

Marco
01-12-2010, 01:20
Hi Shane,

I've heard a few PL-71s and they're top-notch - miles better than a stock Techie, for example. It's only when a high-quality off-board PSU, new tonearm, mat and feet are fitted to the Techie that it starts to overtake the Pioneer - of course at considerable cost.

The PL-71 is pretty well sorted in stock form, and comes in a very solid wooden plinth and with a highly capable S-shaped tonearm as standard. It was built first and foremost as a hi-end turntable by Pioneer in the heyday of vinyl.

Compared to a stock Techie, the PL-71 has a warmer and more 'chunky' sound, but without being in any way bloated or euphonic sounding. It's relaxing on the ear, yet involving to listen to at the same time - the sort of T/T where you forget about the hi-fi and just enjoy the music.

If you can find one in good nick at the right price, my advice is to buy with confidence! :)

Marco.

chris@panteg
01-12-2010, 09:23
Chris,

When you herd the PL-71, how would you discribe it's sound?

Shane ' i heard it with an SPU and found it amazingly detailed and fluid sounding ,with superb clear and deep bass which had some slam , it surprised me .

Marco is right , against a standard 1200 its no contest though it could be argued the drive system in the Techie is superior and responds to tweeking ! where as the Pioneer is best left as it is .

If you can find a PL71 for reasonable money ' grab it :) , i know i will , still on the look out myself but the word is out now and they go for silly money :(.

Marco
01-12-2010, 09:31
Hi Chris,

Marco is right , against a standard 1200 its no contest though it could be argued the drive system in the Techie is superior and responds to tweeking ! where as the Pioneer is best left as it is .

Spot on. Ultimately, the Techie will take you much further sonically, providing that you're willing to spend the necessary wonga to get there.

My advice to Shane would be that if he simply wants a superb sounding, decent looking, extremely well-built fuss-free T/T to play his records on, without embarking on an expensive upgrade journey, he should go for the PL-71.

If, on the other hand, he has some serious cash to spend and really wants to hear what's on his records, then the modded Techie (or SP10) route is the one! :cool:

Marco.

chris@panteg
01-12-2010, 10:02
Tell you what Marco

One thing i am convinced of ! and its just my personal view mind , and gut feeling so to speak but to me direct drive is the best system to play vinyl records :) belt drive can sound wonderful when implemented well ! but i'm addicted to that pin point sense of timing with at last clear deep bass which has no smearing .

Its just so far with my 1210 i felt the balance was somehow not quite right , the funk 1200 mat has made an important difference :cool::) bringing the presentation of the deck more to my liking and preference , so much so i'm not in such a rush to ditch the DL160 now ! though that is still my intention .

Looking at my deck as it is ' to improve it any further will cost me quite a bit but the good news is ' i don't think i need to , as its got a nice alround
balance now or in other words it sounds just right to me :)

Its a shame the PL71 never sold in greater numbers though .

Marco
01-12-2010, 10:43
Hi Chris,

Tell you what Marco

One thing i am convinced of ! and its just my personal view mind , and gut feeling so to speak but to me direct drive is the best system to play vinyl records, belt drive can sound wonderful when implemented well ! but i'm addicted to that pin point sense of timing with at last clear deep bass which has no smearing .

That's it in a nutshell. And once you truly get your head around that, there's no going back to low-mass rubber band-land! ;)

Although a quality idler like a TD-124 (the T/T I would've bought, and maxed-out, had I not embarked on my Techie journey) or a Garrard 301 or 401 in a top-notch plinth, is far from shabby either.

Its just so far with my 1210 i felt the balance was somehow not quite right , the funk 1200 mat has made an important difference, bringing the presentation of the deck more to my liking and preference , so much so i'm not in such a rush to ditch the DL160 now ! though that is still my intention .

Glad I've been of help, mate - that is if my reviewing the Achromat prompted you to try one :)

Yes, you simply MUST get that Nagaoka we discussed. Trust yer uncle Marco, you'll not be wanting to change it in a hurry for anything else!

Looking at my deck as it is ' to improve it any further will cost me quite a bit but the good news is ' i don't think i need to , as its got a nice alround balance now or in other words it sounds just right to me

And *that* is ultimately what it's all about.

Its a shame the PL71 never sold in greater numbers though .

Indeed. It's a shame that ALL quality direct-drive T/Ts didn't sell in greater numbers when unfortunately we were all too busy being brainwashed with Linn-o-mania and flat-earthism!! :rolleyes:

Marco.

Buggleskelly
01-12-2010, 12:05
Hi Shane,

I've heard a few PL-71s and they're top-notch - miles better than a stock Techie, for example. It's only when a high-quality off-board PSU, new tonearm, mat and feet are fitted to the Techie that it starts to overtake the Pioneer - of course at considerable cost.

The PL-71 is pretty well sorted in stock form, and comes in a very solid wooden plinth and with a highly capable S-shaped tonearm as standard. It was built first and foremost as a hi-end turntable by Pioneer in the heyday of vinyl.

Compared to a stock Techie, the PL-71 has a warmer and more 'chunky' sound, but without being in any way bloated or euphonic sounding. It's relaxing on the ear, yet involving to listen to at the same time - the sort of T/T where you forget about the hi-fi and just enjoy the music.

If you can find one in good nick at the right price, my advice is to buy with confidence! :)

Marco.

Yup, couldn't agree more with that summary.

I've got got hold of one (US version) some time back after listening to Speedy Steve's. Yes are very musical decks and easy to listen two. The mat on them seems to play quite apart in the sound presentation. Speedy and I messed around with different mats one afternoon and the Pioneer mat came up trumps every time. He even tried out a copper mat and it gave that a run for its money too. He still uses a PL71 mat on his set up.

At the moment I have a Ortofon Rodo Bronze on it and all seems to be well suited. Before the Bronze I had a Rondo Red which was good and prior to these two I had a Denon 304, but I wasn't too keen on this.

One thing you have to watch out for is dicky speed pots and micro switches. They get a bit dirty after all these years and usually the cause of the speed drifting out. A spay of Deoxit can sort them out.

On my US deck I had to change the micro switches and speed pots to get it back in . Can be a fiddly job. I also changed all the electrolytics on the motor board too, just as a matter of course - now that was a game to do :eek:. The electrolytics on the PSU board can be another source of speed drifting badly too (easy job). Just a process of elimination.

I have a UK PL71 version (as a backup/ donor) and that only needed a quick spray on the micro switches.

Speedy Steve also rewired one of the arms for me too and that helped to give a better clarity/detail to the music.

All-in-all you can't go wrong if you can pick up one of these lovely T/Ts, especially if you can get it on the cheap. The last time I saw one come up it went for about £270.

Cheers - Steve

Magna Audio
01-12-2010, 17:38
The arm and mat make the deck I think.
I use the arm (I converted to 12" with Litz silver wire) and the 'hard' PL-71 mat (yes there is a soft one - perhaps for European models) on my SP-10. Might swap it for a FR64s one day if i could afford it but in the meantime that arm does it for me on the SPU Silver Meister.
It's an Acos arm made for Pioneer.
Very similar to a Rega R200 arm (also Acos) but slightly more solid build.

Anyway the deck was/is a very solid perform and once the switches & speed reg pots on mine were replaced (easy DIY) it performs very well - as stated above.

I went the whole hog and replaced all the electro caps on the PSU and motor PCB and that had a small effect really compared to the switches and pots.

It feels classy to use, is a nice big deck, everything is well spaced out - I even put a parallel tracking air arm once upon a time on it for a laugh:)
Has a bit sprung feet that you need to centre to get the best out of them. The wood loves polish or liquid scratch remover for an instant refurb.

A US example is a one wire solder change to make work on UK / Euro voltage!

I tell myself I should put the Rega R200 (12") arm on the SP-10 and re-unite the PL-71 arm with it's deck and flog it! BUT I'd need to fork out £200-£300 for a Cu mat - more than the cost of the PL-71 to get the SP-10 back to level ground - Yes the mat is that good on the SP-10 / on the SL-1210 I used to have.

(I am currently converting a Rega R200 to 12" for a chap, with Litz Silver and Cardas DIN end plug and 90 deg angle socket thingy - will be testing that on the 2nd armboard soon)

southall-1998
01-12-2010, 19:03
Thanks for all the info guys.

I take it the arm on the PL-71 can take some good expensive cartridges.

Magna Audio
01-12-2010, 22:05
In standard 9" form with a bigger CW it will take top SPU's no probs, I have also read it works with top London Decca's too.
I've not heard it with say IO's, Koetsu's etc.
It will take a wide range of cart weights (something like 4g to 22g) with the standard weight as it can be slid backwards. Best to mass up with the low compliance ones and get the weight near the pivot.

southall-1998
01-12-2010, 22:45
How much will you have to spend at least on a 1200 to fully better the PL-71?

Magna Audio
01-12-2010, 23:42
Hmm - I've had both. My SL-1210 had a DIY PSU and off deck transformer - fraction of what the commercial version costs. My SL-1210 only really came alive when I put the PL-71 arm on it - did not work with Rega RB250 (not to be confused with the R200 Acos arm, probably what made the early Planar sound any good to be honest).
I then prefered the SL-1210's grip and accuracy. So, in my experience some kind of PSU / transformer fix and a good arm will do it. Oh and some of those Isonoe or Foculpod type feet on the SL-1210 as well. Mats - up to the Cu mat if you don't have a PL-71 one handy:-)

southall-1998
01-12-2010, 23:56
I will like to get a PL-71. I've put up a WTB Ad for one. I hope I'll buy a good one.

Marco
02-12-2010, 07:32
Shane, I think you should buy a PL-71 and get some experience using it to form your own opinion. It won't cost you a fortune, and if you like it, then you've won a watch. If you don't, you'll be able to sell it on no problem without making a loss.

At that point (if it happens) you can look at obtaining a Techie and modifying it. So, get the ball rolling, find a PL-71 for sale and let us know how you get on :)

Marco.

southall-1998
02-12-2010, 09:08
No problem.

Thanks.

flatpopely
03-12-2010, 00:22
Guys I hate to be the dissenting voice but having heard the PL71 I would just like to say Thorens TD150!

I'll get my coat.

chris@panteg
03-12-2010, 00:42
:) i can just see Richard Dunn's reaction now :steam::steam::steam: lol .

Thorens are great deck's but do they use ' pure rubber ' for the belt or just plain ole' bog standard :)

Marco
03-12-2010, 00:52
Hi Andrew,

Guys I hate to be the dissenting voice but having heard the PL71 I would just like to say Thorens TD150!

I'll get my coat.

Which PL-71 have you heard - was it Tai-chi boy's? ;)

If so, you ain't heard one properly!

Marco.

Magna Audio
03-12-2010, 20:11
It could have been mine at a bake off.
At the time it was with a 33PTG and a very microphonic valve phono stage / SUT that I think was heavily over driving the preamp used - it certainly caused Audacity to clip massively when recording so hardly a match in heaven. In the 2 or 3 tracks played, I honestly struggled to like it at all on the system in question...
Much better on valve amp and speakers that cope and can convey bass depth and texture.
That was also before I did the caps on the motorboard too but as said it is the arm and mat that make the deck, in my opinion.

flatpopely
04-12-2010, 00:55
Not the Dunn one, I did hear speedysteves deck at my bake off.

I heard another one that I rewired for UK use and then discovered the headshell was bent. I must say the engineering on the 71 is not all it's cracked up to be, the arm is like a cheap version of a LV V.

Of course I was wrong and Dunn sorted it. Shame he never dropped the arm pillar back down. Still, what do I know.

Magna Audio
04-12-2010, 19:06
It might look like a cheap Acos arm to you similar to the R200 but it works fantastic wonders esp with SPU and on 12". Course the bearings need to be sensibly adjusted and a re-wire does not hurt.

Of course it does not have the L*** name so will never be any good in some folks eyes.

Not the Dunn one, I did hear speedysteves deck at my bake off.

I heard another one that I rewired for UK use and then discovered the headshell was bent. I must say the engineering on the 71 is not all it's cracked up to be, the arm is like a cheap version of a LV V.

Of course I was wrong and Dunn sorted it. Shame he never dropped the arm pillar back down. Still, what do I know.

oceanobsession
04-12-2010, 19:30
Ive had mine about 4 months now bought from the usa, no probs with speed
all works fine with the denon 103, ive also got a pl51 which has the same
drive motor for spares, i think it sounds great for the money i paid £230 inc
postage.

flatpopely
04-12-2010, 19:57
Of course it does not have the L*** name so will never be any good in some folks eyes.

That comment does not apply to me, I ran an RB250 for 7-8 years and loved it.

DSJR
04-12-2010, 21:27
The LVV isn't anywhere near as well engineered or as technically competent as the R200/PL71 tonearm IMO, although the LVV, itself a bodged up ADC arm, can give very good results if it's not been abused by ignorant dealers (I count myself as one from the period, so it takes one to know one ;)).

I know my R200 isn't the last word in tonearms and my Decca deserves something far, far better matched, but the old Rega can sound really nice IMO and if the Pioneer version had a lop sided headshell, I'd respectfully suggest it wasn't made that way. i'd also suggest that the PL71 plinth is quite solid, with far more bracing blocks than I remember other decks of this type having.

southall-1998
30-12-2010, 16:41
I know, I should have asked this a long time ago.

Any particular cartridges that work well with the PL-71?

DSJR
30-12-2010, 21:23
Anything you like sir, as extra counterweights can be made up and good headshells can be easily bought. Just don't use very highly compliant cartridges from the early 70's tracking at 1 gramme or less, that's all :D

YNWaN
30-12-2010, 21:49
I heard Steve's PL-71 at Andrews bake-off and thought it was very good. The valve phonostage was very microphonic (that's what you chose to use Steve, there was a SS option available), but is still sounded good. The pre-amp wasn't being overloaded, but the laptop was, and this resulted in digital clipping of the recordings (unfortunately).

Rare Bird
30-12-2010, 22:16
Whats next Rotel RP3000!

YNWaN
30-12-2010, 22:52
Perhaps Andre. Why not try joining every audio forum you can find and tell everyone you have discovered an unrecognised classic that pisses on everything else ever made - if anyone disagrees, tell them they are deaf. If anyone says you may not be entirely accurate with your facts, fly off the handle, make up a load of nonsense and launch a hate campaign against them.

;)

Umm..just to make it clear; the above post is not intended as a jab at Andre, or a joke at his expense. It is intended as a joke, but refers to another person, and their posting style, entirely (not Steve's either). A recent communication has led me to believe that my intent may have been misunderstood - sorry for any confusion or offence.

Magna Audio
30-12-2010, 23:31
I heard Steve's PL-71 at Andrews bake-off and thought it was very good. The valve phonostage was very microphonic (that's what you chose to use Steve, there was a SS option available), but is still sounded good. The pre-amp wasn't being overloaded, but the laptop was, and this resulted in digital clipping of the recordings (unfortunately).

yeah I know - I was worried about the 33 PTG liking very low impedance & putting out 5mV, I thought it might overload the one on offer, so opted for the Mr Coco's valve phonostage. No time to change on the fly of course as it was a busy day:) So it was what it was.

southall-1998
31-12-2010, 00:04
Thanks for the replies.

Hopefully in the new year I will get a PL-71.

How much approx do you have to spend on a 1200/1210 to better the PL71? Are we looking at least £500?

Marco
31-12-2010, 00:29
Hi Shane,

At least that, yes.

Basically, it'd take an off-board PSU, new tonearm, mat and feet on the Techie to do it :)

Marco.

YNWaN
31-12-2010, 00:39
yeah I know - I was worried about the 33 PTG liking very low impedance & putting out 5mV, I thought it might overload the one on offer, so opted for the Mr Coco's valve phonostage. No time to change on the fly of course as it was a busy day:) So it was what it was.

I don't think it really mattered in the end - it was a fun day :cool: and it still sounded good.

YNWaN
31-12-2010, 11:25
Umm..just to make it clear; post #33 is not intended as a jab at Andre, or a joke at his expense. It is intended as a joke, but refers to another person, and their posting style, entirely (not Steve's either). A recent communication has led me to believe that my intent may have been misunderstood - sorry for any confusion or offence.

DSJR
31-12-2010, 13:11
All I remember about the PL71 was that it didn't look as cool as the Techies (to a teenager), nor was it as elegant looking as the Yamaha YP800, which I suspect may be another forgotten goodie. Back in the mid 70's, decks had to have low W&F and rumble - quality of music reproduction hadn't really been noticed then and if feedback was an issue, like it was with many of these decks (we didn't have dedicated supports then), one bought a springy belt driven machine, like a Thorens or Philips 212 (a frail but lovely old deck with a sadly steel platter)...

Magna Audio
31-12-2010, 21:03
My Techi had custom made toroidal external transformer and simple Velleman PSU - sounded great. Parts cost no more than £50 or so. Removing the redundant original transformer improved things further. First I had an RB250 in it - not a match made in heaven! It came alive with the PL-71 arm and mat.
Same PL-71 loveliness but bit of extra timing grip of the Techi.

9" arm wise this set up played close to the SP-10 on 9" arms I have but 12" SPU raised the bar a bit further.

naimless
06-01-2011, 12:12
Hi guys,

I was reading speedy journey's on pl-71 and this thread, someone was mentioning changing the bearing oil of pl-71. Is it very difficult to carry out? Also anyone knows what type of bearing it is using?

Cheers.

Gromit
18-01-2011, 14:22
Hi Shane,

Marco.

I'd pretty much go along with that. :)

Shane - I spent a good deal of time comparing/enjoying, basically having a lot of fun with my old PL71 and at the same time had an SL1210 which also yielded excellent results.

Adding a better psu (TimeStep back then), changing the SL's feet and adding an Achromat - which I had machined down by an aircraft techie mat of mine - to fit the Tecchy's platter properly made a huge difference and began to clean the window into the 1210's real capabilities. I also had a fully-modded RB251 (by AudioOrigami) which on its own was a great arm - it just didn't work on the Technics. This is despite what HFW say about it.

The RB arms are not a good match for the Technics - the std arm ain't bad and will take some reasonably good cartridges. The sound of the RB arm made me feel like I was being beaten up - little or no dynamic differentiation, everything sounded like it was being played with a sledgehammer. The std arm, whilst not being as forensically detailed, was more realistic, more musical and at the bottom line, more enjoyable. I've no reason to think that the Tecchy wouldn't start to overtake the PL71 with a little more love shown it in terms of a better arm.

The PL71's arm is very good indeed - I used an SPU GM in mine, also a Decca Super Gold and they both worked beautifully. Another good thing about the Pioneer arm, over an R200, is that it doesn't use the toothed belt system to change bias compensation. It has a spring and rotating magnet. Bearings have no detectable play, and were very low friction plus with it being itro 17g effective mass (without headshell - add an 18g h/s plus a bit more if you want - I did) it'll get those old cartridges working nicely.

I've just picked up another PL71, as it happens, so can't wait to get the old wooden wonder going again. It'll be very interesting to put it up against my TD150. :)

Then I'll go shopping for another Decca. :)

Marco
26-01-2011, 13:44
Hi Richard,

Nice to see you popping in again, dude. Glad you agree with my summary! :)

Adding a better psu (TimeStep back then), changing the SL's feet and adding an Achromat - which I had machined down by an aircraft techie mat of mine - to fit the Tecchy's platter properly made a huge difference and began to clean the window into the 1210's real capabilities. I also had a fully-modded RB251 (by AudioOrigami) which on its own was a great arm - it just didn't work on the Technics. This is despite what HFW say about it.

Indeed - some people, though, will insist on finding out the hard way! :eyebrows: ;)

However, it can be made to work quite well. Much depends on the choice of cartridge.

The std arm, whilst not being as forensically detailed, was more realistic, more musical and at the bottom line, more enjoyable.

The stock arm, Cardas-rewired, fitted with a Sumiko headshell and a good quality MM cartridge, is fab - and I could well understand why some people wouldn't need anymore.

The PL71's arm is very good indeed - I used an SPU GM in mine, also a Decca Super Gold and they both worked beautifully.

Indeed, and I've now got your old SPU, which I bought from Rob - and very nice it is, too! You definitely want to get hold of another one, Richard, as they are such fantastically musical devices.

I've just picked up another PL71, as it happens, so can't wait to get the old wooden wonder going again. It'll be very interesting to put it up against my TD150.

Then I'll go shopping for another Decca.

Nice one! Well, we'd all like to hear about your new journey with the old wooden wonder, with your usual amazing pics, and how it stacks up against the TD150, so why not start a new thread?

Deccas are wonderfully musical sounding devices, too, just like the SPU, but in a rather different but equally beguiling way! :cool:

Marco.

DSJR
26-01-2011, 14:05
My R200 arm has some play in the horizontal bearing, but Rega's Roy Gandy made great to tell me that the bearings were tapered and gravity did all the loading needed. Obviously, with a heavier headshell (and counterweight?), this loading would be even more. In any case, mine is working fine and I didn't want to risk messing up the wires or bearings by trying to adjust them. I'm sure mine has a replacement bias belt as well - there's got to be a toothed "video machine" belt that fits, and I think i've done at least one in my time - so long ago now though....

A further note to any would-be R200 bodgers out there. The headshell socket is apparently all but glued in and the screw holding it can be easily damaged when trying to remove it...

Epicurus
27-01-2011, 11:02
The stock arm, Cardas-rewired, fitted with a Sumiko headshell and a good quality MM cartridge, is fab - and I could well understand why some people wouldn't need anymore.

After all Marco, the 1200/1210's manual clearly states that high-compliance MM cartridges are recommended for this arm (the more tech-savvy among us will also come to this conclusion by looking at the fact that the standard arm is a low-mass affair).

Gromit
29-01-2011, 20:12
Nice one! Well, we'd all like to hear about your new journey with the old wooden wonder, with your usual amazing pics, and how it stacks up against the TD150, so why not start a new thread?

Deccas are wonderfully musical sounding devices, too, just like the SPU, but in a rather different but equally beguiling way! :cool:

Marco.

Hi Marco - yup, will indeed do a bit of scribbling re the PL71 vs TD150 when I get a chance. Having a 5 month old wreaking havoc in the Gromit household means not a lot of time to do much listening at the moment, sadly, and since we moved up north I've been travelling to London and back doing a fair few gigs recently too.

Still, it's all fun. :)

The Thorens is such a sweet little turntable, sure it has its faults but it's such a joy to listen to. Betrays a certain amount of its LP12-ness (hardly surprising, seeing as the Linn is almost identical underneath) but it doesn't somehow annoy me like an LP12 sometimes can...if that makes sense? There's an honesty, a direct and unfussy way about the Thorens' musical presentation, there's not too much in the way of bass bloat.

There's a bit of a hum issue with the Pioneer at the moment so am getting the arm re-wired to make sure we have good earth all round - and re-doing that 40+ yr old wiring might not be such a bad move anyway. The motor unit is pretty much A1 and runs rock-steady although I'm probably not going to be keeping that. From past experience I really think it's that lovely, heavy old arm which makes the thing tick so I may have other plans for it. Who knows...it may end up on one of Matsushita's finest. ;)

Oh...good to know the SPU's gone to a good home. Isn't it just a honey of a cartridge!! Big, ballsy, full of heart and passion...I adore the thing. When I was running that and the Decca SG on the old PL71 I truly was in cartridge heaven (or certainly my own little corner of it). :)

DSJR
29-01-2011, 23:53
Get the TD150 in a decent plinth and it gets even better..

I'm amazed that Thorens didn't severely question the RD11/LP12 styling, as well as other similarities, way back in 1972 or whenever it was, but at the time, the TD160 had come out and looked totally different, so maybe they weren't bothered....

Gromit
30-01-2011, 07:24
Get the TD150 in a decent plinth and it gets even better..

I'm amazed that Thorens didn't severely question the RD11/LP12 styling, as well as other similarities, way back in 1972 or whenever it was, but at the time, the TD160 had come out and looked totally different, so maybe they weren't bothered....

I've sometimes wondered that too, Dave - the similarities are more than 'slightly uncanny'. :)

Re the plinth, funnily enough I was in touch with Russ Collinson before Christmas, and am giving serious consideration to getting it done - the only reason I'm hanging back is because my 150's plinth is in such nice condition (there's hardly a mark on it) that it almost seems a shame to not keep it original. Still, it sounds pretty good as-is, even with an early 3009 in desperate need of a good service, so if a more solid plnth will give it a decent lift in performance, then it could be a case of 'stuff the originality, let's just make it sound better'.

I'd keep both the Thorens and the Pioneer so it'll be nice to swap between them every so often. :)

Moko
30-01-2011, 10:37
I made a new plinth for my TD 150 by getting the guys at B&Q to cut 18mm MDF to the correct sizes, as I remember it came to about £18. (see below for details). The veneer was off ebay and came to around £10.

The other advantage is if you get a much sturdier base board and if you are clever and make the dimensions slightly bigger you can use LP12 armboards for any future arms you want to fit

http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/MokoMilk/Thorens%20TD150%20Rebuild/

You can still keep the original plinth so if you want to return it to completly original condition it is a relatively quick job.

I think it both looks and sounds a lot better than the standard version

DSJR
30-01-2011, 12:11
Linn suggested removing their base-board altogether and on the LP12 it worked.. My take on this regarding the TD150 is that if using the stock plinth, you'll need to reinforce it somehow. Getting a heavier duty plinth should negate the need for a thick base.

Re the RD11/LP12 and the TD150. What's known of the story has been told many times, but the truth is buried in the mists of time now and the victim in all this is long deceased, sadly. I think of the LP12 as a "blue-printed" TD150 and current versions seem to be just about there, now most of the added colourations have gone.

JazzBones
30-01-2011, 13:30
Linn suggested removing their base-board altogether and on the LP12 it worked.. My take on this regarding the TD150 is that if using the stock plinth, you'll need to reinforce it somehow. Getting a heavier duty plinth should negate the need for a thick base.

Re the RD11/LP12 and the TD150. What's known of the story has been told many times, but the truth is buried in the mists of time now and the victim in all this is long deceased, sadly. I think of the LP12 as a "blue-printed" TD150 and current versions seem to be just about there, now most of the added colourations have gone.

:) Dave, have done this with my LP12 for quite awhile now also using three as opposed to four feet, tripod effect providing rock like support provided the corners are not rocked (common sense). There is an improvement to be had but be aware of live circuit boards when using the yellow duster :eek: Linn/dealers will not support this as sales of trampolins will dwindle, mine's been lost in the loft for the past 20 years ;)

I'm open to correction but the LP12 'nicked' the design from Ariston which in turn was based on Thorens and not forgetting the AR (Ed Vilchur design). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ?

Ron

This hobby of ours drives me insane :mental: