PDA

View Full Version : No bass

Dave Hewitt
28-11-2010, 21:43
Hi,Can anyone help with this problem regarding my system which consists of Impulse h2 speakers driven by an almarro se valve amp.If cd or ps3 is used as source the speakers are ok but when I listen to fm radio via audiolab 8000t the sound is quite thin and fatiguing,some days are worse than others.I have tried my troughline as well but pretty much the same thing happens.Have tried moving the speakers into the room corners,but this seems to make the problem worse,ie less bass.Someone has suggested that the speakers are too big for my room,or the room too small for the speakers.The room is a through lounge measuring 25ft x 18ft.Or is fm not as good as it used to be?
Cheers Dave.:scratch:

ourdogmax
29-11-2010, 09:13
Get some Tannoys :lol::lol::lol:

Marco
29-11-2010, 09:39
:lolsign:

Short and sweet, but very true!!

Marco.

Barry
29-11-2010, 10:10
Hi,Can anyone help with this problem regarding my system which consists of Impulse h2 speakers driven by an almarro se valve amp.If cd or ps3 is used as source the speakers are ok but when I listen to fm radio via audiolab 8000t the sound is quite thin and fatiguing,some days are worse than others.I have tried my troughline as well but pretty much the same thing happens.Have tried moving the speakers into the room corners,but this seems to make the problem worse,ie less bass.Someone has suggested that the speakers are too big for my room,or the room too small for the speakers.The room is a through lounge measuring 25ft x 18ft.Or is fm not as good as it used to be?
Cheers Dave.:scratch:

Hello Dave,

There is nothing wrong with the bass response performance of your Impulse H2 speakers. A friend of mine has a pair powered by an Audio Innovations 25w valve amplifier - and bass they most certainly have!

The fact that the lack of bass occurs with either of your tuners suggests there might be a problem with the transmitted signal.

Certainly the speakers are not too big for your room. 25ft x 18ft is not small.

I would see if the problem persists. You could possibly borrow another tuner to make sure that there is not a problem with yours.

Regards

Dave Hewitt
29-11-2010, 10:30
Hi Barry,Thanks for your reply,will try another tuner and ignore the advice of the other two:lol:
Cheers Dave.

DSJR
29-11-2010, 10:36
Can I have some of the excess treble from your tuner(s) in exchange for some excess bloat at my end????

FM is very difficult to judge these days, as I reckon the compromised DAB feed is sent through an FM modulator to the transmitter via "Optimod." I could be way off here, but the dire noises I get from many FM stations indicates that something is going on that didn't used to in the 70's.....

Maybe there's a mismatch with the Audiolab tuner? I thought that the treble was the thing to suffer though if this was the case. Check earthing paths (clutching at straws here though), although Audiolab used two core mains in the times I sold them.

hifi_dave
29-11-2010, 10:48
If CD is OK, it must be the tuner, tuner signal, tuner incon or tuner input.

Try playing the tuner through the CD input using the cable you use with the CD.

After that it is the tuner or broadcast. As the Troughline suffers in the same way as the Audiolab, it could well be the signal.

Thermionic
29-11-2010, 10:49
Well looking at the specs and reviews of your H2s David I am inclined to suggest that certain members get some of those!:eyebrows:

I am not in your area so can’t comment on current local FM quality, though you seem to have some very good equipment and your tuners are well respected. But perhaps some of the Audiolab and Leak coupling caps need replacing.

I mostly use a Yamaha CT7000 and am happy with the ‘low end’ on R2 and 3 coming from my local transmitter on the I.O.W. (I don't bother anything else). FM still sounds better to me than the new high bit rate of the iplayer by the way. But I suppose it might be something up with your local repeater / transmitter which might be worth checking with the BBC.

Have you tried swapping the inputs on the amp?

ourdogmax
29-11-2010, 11:13
Buy a different house

Lodgesound
29-11-2010, 13:25
You say that moving the speakers into the corners of the room actually causes bass subtraction. This does'nt make sense except if one considers the possibility of some sort of phase cancellation occurring.

Try inverting the phase to one of your speakers whilst listening to the tuner - I'm not implying that your system is wrongly connected but that there is a possible phase error in the audio signal as received by your tuner. The aforementioned test would highlight this error if present in the absence of a signal phase meter.

Dave Hewitt
29-11-2010, 13:56
Hi Stewart,I think that there is some sort of cancellation happening with the speakers in the corners.I ran a room equalisation test to the best of my ability,which isnt much ,with a Beringer something or other and the results seem to suggest a suckout in response at 80cycles.Bringing the speakers more into the room seemed to improve matters somewhat.Perhaps my tuner is giving a less coloured sound than the rest and isnt actually bass light.
Cheers to all,Dave.

Effem
04-12-2010, 12:25
It's surprising just how much difference the room itself can make to bass response. My listening room is some 16 foot by 9 foot and the listening seat is around 9 feet away from the speakers. Sat in the listening position it can sound thin and bass light, then walk around to the back of the settee and the bass is very full and rich, take 2 steps back though, then it's a tad boomy and overblown. I am very aware of the phenomenon, but when some chaps have come round for a bakeoff, they all tend to congregate behind the listening seat and complain that the sound isn't right :eek:

goraman
14-12-2010, 23:49
Dave,
Dose your tuner have an ANT signal meter in incruments of decibal gain?
I am thinking it could be an antenna impedance missmatch.
Dose it sound better on a station that has a full signal?
what are you useing for an arial and is your reciver marked 50,75 or 300 ohms?
90% of a bad sounding tuner is the Ant. or the lead cable going to it.
A missmatch kills the signal and bass suffers serverly.
The lead cable can also have a poor connector or the ANT may be cut to short or have an internal break.
An audio reciver is no different than a Amature radio reciver, Antenna,Antenna,Antenna then check everything else.

Cool beans for the money,I had one of these 50 feet up and it works very well.

http://magnumdynalab.com/fmantenna-st2.htm