PDA

View Full Version : Open reel deck winter project?

lovejoy
26-11-2010, 11:01
We're having a big clear out at work and a load of kit is getting junked or given away.
I seem to have accumulated an Otari MX-55 which apart from needing a new drive belt seems to be in good order.
Not being someone who has any previous experience with open reel apart from hearing them (and being blown away) at hi-fi shows, does anyone know anything about them, or more importantly whether there is any mileage in getting hold of material to play on this beast. I'm not interested in it for recording purposes, just playback.
If, as I suspect, it's going to be a bit of a fruitless exercise, anyone interested in this. It really is a beast of a machine.

Beechwoods
26-11-2010, 12:04
Otari made some very nice machines and the MX-55 is a great example. Quarter inch tape, half track ie 2 track stereo, I think. If you ever want to move it on let me know. I'd certainly not pass on the opportunity of playing with one.

For playback only you're limited by the fact it's a half track machine. Most commercially released tapes, and a lot of home recorded stuff were done on quarter track - two stereo stripes per side of tape. Half track uses two stripes in one direction only.

The Tape Project has released material on 1/4" two track tape. They are rather expensive though!

http://www.tapeproject.com/

Good luck with your project, that is a nice machine and you're very lucky to have come by it!

lovejoy
26-11-2010, 13:42
Thanks Nick, that kind of confirmed what I was thinking. It was one of those instances where you clap eyes on something and are bowled over by the engineering quality that has gone into the thing, so I'd love to just spend some time looking over it and learning how the thing works. Plus it would be criminal to allow it to end up in a skip.

I had a look at the tape project website. That's rather a lot of money to own an album, no matter how good it may sound.

Lodgesound
26-11-2010, 14:43
I can make you a tape of any album you actually own if you either provide or buy a reel of tape and supply a copy of the source album on CD. I have master recorders which will make reference recordings.

Beechwoods
26-11-2010, 14:51
That sounds like a fantastic offer Stewart! Particularly useful if you're trying to get a deck set up properly as opposed to just working.