PDA

View Full Version : Avid Universal alignment guage

Chivas
25-11-2010, 15:12
Hi

Has anyone had experience with this alignment guage and if so, how did you find it. I sold the Jelco, so my MintLP protractor for the Techie/Jelco combination is now obsolete and am looking to replace it with a reliable tool to align my cartridge.

FYI, I am using an Origin Live arm (Rega geometry) with my 1210.

Not sure I am ready to fork out the money for the Clearaudio alignment tool, although it is perhaps the best option for the long run...

cheers
Chivas

Clive
25-11-2010, 15:22
I've not used the Avid but it looks like a nicely made protractor....bit only that. I could have missed something.

I have a Feickhert alignment gauge, this very expensive but very very good. If you've some mates with TTs maybe you could share the cost. Set up is so easy with the Feickert.

Chivas
25-11-2010, 15:39
Cheers Clive

The Feickert looks and costs very similar to the Clearaudio aligment tool, any idea of the differences?

Chivas

Clive
25-11-2010, 15:54
Cheers Clive

The Feickert looks and costs very similar to the Clearaudio aligment tool, any idea of the differences?

Chivas
Hi Chivas, they indeed look very similar, my old version Feickert looks even more like the Clearaudio or vice versa. I suspect there's little difference but I've not played with the Clearaudio so can't really offer an opinion.

blake
25-11-2010, 16:41
http://www.conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm

Download Conrad Hoffman's software for creating an arc protractor. You'll need to know your mounting, or pivot to spindle distance.

Figure out what kind of alignment protocol you want to use. I'm partial to Baerwald or Lofgren A (IMO it's the best alignment). If you want that punch in Lofgren A and click on IEC and print. Print the protractor on high quality photo paper using a laser printer. Laminate it.

Cut the spindle hole using a square or triangle. Attach the protractor to a scrap record. Total cost: maybe a couple of bucks for lamination.

I have a Mint LP as well. It confirms the alignment of the Hoffman protractor.

Clive
25-11-2010, 17:01
The best advice I can give is that whatever protractor and alignment you use if you accurately set overhang first the rest of the setup is simple and fast. Trying to set alignment without overhang being right first results in a much more difficult and inaccurate setup - in my experience.

blake
25-11-2010, 17:27
The best advice I can give is that whatever protractor and alignment you use if you accurately set overhang first the rest of the setup is simple and fast. Trying to set alignment without overhang being right first results in a much more difficult and inaccurate setup - in my experience.

Agreed. That's the beauty of an arc protractor. Set the overhang precisely on the arc (which is the ultimate in simplicity using an arc protractor like the Mint or the software generated protractors by Conrad Hoffman) and you should be, for all intents and purposes, perfectly aligned. You can be perfectly aligned in 10-15 minutes.

A 20x illuminated loupe is a valuable tool to have to speed up the process, typically available on Ebay for $15-$20.

The Hoffman software creates a custom protractor at no charge that is the equal of any alignment tool on the market.

Beobloke
26-11-2010, 10:49
To answer the original question, the Avid protractor is excellent - affordable and does the job nicely. The reflective surface is handy for confirming azimuth and cartridge alignment in the heashell as well.

Chivas
02-12-2010, 11:07
Hi guys

Thank you for the info, it was very helpful!