PDA

View Full Version : Customers who should stay away from hifi

StanleyB
21-07-2008, 11:15
In my life I have had quite a few odd fault reports from customers, making me wonder if those people should have stuck to their pocket radio. Since selling my TC-7510 DAC I have had another few reported faults that at 1st had me dumb struck. Here are a couple that I regularly get:

1. Customer: when I use the fixed output I get sound. When I use the variable output I don't hear anything.
A: Try turning up the volume control on the DAC. That's why it is called variable:doh:.

2. Customer: My SKY+ box digital output has a different connection to the socket on your DAC. I am using coax from the TV out socket on the SKY+ box.
A: Coax from the TV output is not the same as digital coax. The SKY digital output is a TOSLINK connection.

3. C: the DAC is faulty, and I can hear it clearly that it is via the headphone. The fault is intermittent. Sometimes the treble it is louder on the left, and the bass on the right. The fault is particularly annoying when I listen to virtuoso piano performances.
A: Have you heard of stereo recording and do you know that the high notes keys on the piano are on the right, and the lower notes on the left? Now, swap the audio leads from DAC to amp over so that the high notes come out on the right..:doh:.

Marco
21-07-2008, 11:19
Haha... Excellent, Stan! 'Thick' doesn't even begin to describe it :lol:

:mental:

I presume that you're the epitome of politeness though when explaining these 'faults' to your customers or do you tell them they're all 'balloons'? :lolsign:

Marco.

alb
21-07-2008, 15:34
I think i've got a problem with my stuff, the drums always seem to be in the middle.

leo
21-07-2008, 17:25
Nice, thanks for the laugh Stan:lolsign:

Ali Tait
21-07-2008, 17:50
Al,try moving your chair nearer one speaker! :)

hiredfox
22-07-2008, 14:47
In my life I have had quite a few odd fault reports from customers, making me wonder if those people should have stuck to their pocket radio. Since selling my TC-7510 DAC I have had another few reported faults that at 1st had me dumb struck. Here are a couple that I regularly get:

1. Customer: when I use the fixed output I get sound. When I use the variable output I don't hear anything.
A: Try turning up the volume control on the DAC. That's why it is called variable:doh:.

2. Customer: My SKY+ box digital output has a different connection to the socket on your DAC. I am using coax from the TV out socket on the SKY+ box.
A: Coax from the TV output is not the same as digital coax. The SKY digital output is a TOSLINK connection.

3. C: the DAC is faulty, and I can hear it clearly that it is via the headphone. The fault is intermittent. Sometimes the treble it is louder on the left, and the bass on the right. The fault is particularly annoying when I listen to virtuoso piano performances.
A: Have you heard of stereo recording and do you know that the high notes keys on the piano are on the right, and the lower notes on the left? Now, swap the audio leads from DAC to amp over so that the high notes come out on the right..:doh:.

Easy to mock but all of us would be as naive in fields of which we know nothing. One thing I learned at school was, when in doubt always ask; do you know what, those dumb questions I asked were foxing other guys as well but they didn't want to ask for fear of looking stupid... ? So, slacken the ropes a bit guys.

Neil McCauley
22-07-2008, 15:57
Easy to mock but all of us would be as naive in fields of which we know nothing. One thing I learned at school was, when in doubt always ask; do you know what, those dumb questions I asked were foxing other guys as well but they didn't want to ask for fear of looking stupid... ? So, slacken the ropes a bit guys.

100% correct. Well done that man.

---//---

jandl100
22-07-2008, 20:10
Yes, OK - but it's still a giggle for those of us who do know their input sockets from their elbows. ;)

Iain Sinclair
22-07-2008, 20:27

As the original clueless n00b, I entirely agree with that. I'd rather ask a dumb question and be thought dumb than take a chance and end up blowing something up and/or electrocuting myself!

Beechwoods
22-07-2008, 20:56
A stupid question is only a good question asked twice. I work in a 'technical' role managing database systems and a lot of the people we work with have non-technical backgrounds. They know their stuff, just not mine, yet. I don't mind 'stupid' questions, so long as the person asking wants to hear the answer, and retains it! The ones that really p--- me off are the ones who always ask the same bloody questions over and again, too lazy to remember :steam:

But you're right - once you know the answers you gotta laugh :lol:

StanleyB
22-07-2008, 21:16
Jeez, the amount of lateral thinkers about can be counted on the fingers of one hand :scratch:. I bet if I had told the story of the female customer who could not pay for the call out after a TV repair when I worked for a certain repair company would get me into deep waters:eyebrows:

Beechwoods
22-07-2008, 21:17
Oh, go on... :lolsign:

Marco
22-07-2008, 22:04
Did you offer to erect a big aerial for her? ;)

Marco.