PDA

View Full Version : Confession Time - First Live Gig & First Record Bought

Pages : [1] 2

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
20-07-2008, 15:00
Confession time what was the first live band you saw and what was the first record you bought, come on now you know you need to unburden yourself of your guilt. You will feel better for it, though I can’t guarantee you won’t get the p**s taken out of.. :lol:

I’ll go first.

First live Gig – Marc Bolan and T-Rex. Live at Newcastle I think 1974. I was 14, a mate persuaded his brother to take us the 50 miles to Newcastle. My parents still think I was at a friend’s house doing my school homework (yeh fat chance)

First record was – Big Country Western themes. Stop laughing now I was only 11 at the time, that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to that version of events

Andy - SDDW

shane
20-07-2008, 16:19
First Gig: Free, The Vandike Club, Plymouth, March 1970. Life-changing...

First record: Diamonds, Jet Harris and Tony Meehan, 1963?

Colinx
20-07-2008, 16:57
bloody hell, you have better recollection than I have, I think the first record was CCL tap turn on the water or somesuch, first live gig, not a clue.

Togil
20-07-2008, 17:05
Traffic + Pink Floyd, Liverpool autumn 1967

My first visit to the UK

Yomanze
20-07-2008, 17:19
Earthtone9, dBh (who?) and Raging Speedhorn. Had a very metal night & split my head open!

First record I bought personally was Oasis - Definitely Maybe :cool:

Iain Sinclair
20-07-2008, 20:22
First gig: Dusty Springfield at the Liverpool Empire

First record: Let's Hang On! The Four Seasons

Prince of Darkness
20-07-2008, 20:40
bloody hell, you have better recollection than I have, I think the first record was CCL tap turn on the water or somesuch, first live gig, not a clue.

Do you mean CCS (Alexis Korner, Peter Thorup, etc)?

Prince of Darkness
20-07-2008, 20:46
My memory is not to clear on this, but I think it's The Boomtown Rats for both.
1982 Exhibition Park Newcastle. I was front row and got on stage. There had been a delay due to some of the seating collapsing (some people were taken to hospital with relatively minor injuries). I got Bob Geldof's autograph too.:)
First single was I Don't Like Mondays.

Beechwoods
20-07-2008, 20:52
Oh god...

Gig: a-ha, Birmingham NEC, 1988... a friend bought me tickets. I'd grown out of them by then but couldn't say 'No'. I was the only goth at that gig, I swear...

Album: 'Synchronicity' by The Police. Bought in Woolies on cassette for £7.99 around 1985. That was a lot back then!

7": 'You Make Me Feel' by The Woodentops, 1988... this still has credibility. Great single, great band.

12" 'Wild Hearted Woman' by All About Eve, 1988 (I told you I was a goth :lol:)

alb
20-07-2008, 21:06
First record. The Beatles - Hard days night. 196?. I was quite young.
Didn't have anything to play it on though.

First gig. The Shadows - Manchester Apollo circa 1975.
Seemed to play forever.....or perhaps it just got a bit boring.

Lily Munster
20-07-2008, 21:26
First gig I went to was John Cooper Clarke at Eric's in Liverpool in 1977. That was on a Thursday night and I got my mum to write a note for school, to go to the dentist, so I could leave early!

On the Saturday I saw The Slits and The Ruts also at Eric's.

Happy days!

Lily.

Beechwoods
20-07-2008, 21:33
Why oh why did I waste my first gig on a-ha?

Everyone else seems to have seriously cool first gigs.

My second gig was probably The Wedding Present, The Hummingbird, Birmingham. Does that count?

Jeez.

Marco
20-07-2008, 21:33
First record. The Beatles - Hard days night. 196.?

It was 1964, Al. I remember it well because it was the year before I was born!! :lolsign:

Marco.

Marco
20-07-2008, 21:59
First gig? Can't really remember - probably something from Queen in the late 70s/early 80s. I was big into them then.

First record? No idea - I didn't really start buying music of my own (although I listened to my parents records on an old Dansette-type record player before then) until I started Secondary school in 1976 (I was 11).

It wasn't my first record but I distinctly remember buying 'I feel Love' by Donna Summer from a department store in Argyle Street in Glasgow. I forget what it was called (big, multi-national place) but it used to have a great delicatessen section and the music bit was down and along from it.

Perhaps Snapper can help me out? :)

Marco.

{Edit} I've just remembered the name of the store. It was called Lewis's.

21-07-2008, 05:14
First gig I went to was John Cooper Clarke at Eric's in Liverpool in 1977. That was on a Thursday night and I got my mum to write a note for school, to go to the dentist, so I could leave early!

On Saturday I saw The Slits and The Ruts also at Eric's.

Happy days!

Lily.

John Cooper Clarke - The punk poet if I remember correctly, I seem to recall something called 'I married a monster from outer space' by him. He was support for Be Bop Deluxe, again Newcastle in the late 70's

Andy - SDDW

Lily Munster
21-07-2008, 07:48
Sad, I know, but I still know all the words to that poem and many others.

Lily

Mike
21-07-2008, 07:57
First record - erm... oh dear! - It was Tiger Feet by Mud. Hey!... I was only about 10!

First gig - The Ramones at Newcastle City Hall, about 1977.

There was one other gig before that but I was 'taken' to it as a kid so I'm not counting it. It will remain un-named for fear of embarrassment. :(

Cheers...

Marco
21-07-2008, 11:04
Go on, Mikey. Don't be shy... Fess up!

I'll tell you about my Pinky and Perky records ;)

Marco.

Beechwoods
21-07-2008, 14:21
There was one other gig before that but I was 'taken' to it as a kid so I'm not counting it. It will remain un-named for fear of embarrassment. :(

## B-A-Y C-I-T-Y ROLLERS - YEAH! ##

Gotta be! :lol:

Marco
21-07-2008, 14:23
I was thinking Gary Glitter :lolsign:

Marco.

Beechwoods
21-07-2008, 16:23
That wouldn't be sad - that would be criminal!

Marco
21-07-2008, 17:29
Especially if he asked you backstage to show you his 'cooka-choo'... :lol:

Or was that Alvin Stardust? ;)

Marco.

snapper
21-07-2008, 17:53
First gig Elton John either 1972 or 1973?Glasgow Apollo.

My brother and his friend took me,after pressure from parents.

First one with my mates,Status Quo,October 1976.

This was recorded and released as Quo Live.

First record I got was David Bowie-The Man Who Sold The World (dress cover)

First record bought was,I think,Rod Stewart-Maggie May.

Mike
22-07-2008, 15:29
I was thinking Gary Glitter :lolsign:

Marco.

Oooh!... painfully close. - It was 'The Glitter Band' sans Gary.

Marco
24-07-2008, 07:47
Was it an uplifting experience? :lol:

Marco.

Mr. C
24-07-2008, 09:58
First record bought a 45 lol. WH Smiths the Prom in Cheltenham summer 79 Hit me with your Rhythm stick Ian Dury and the Blackheads.

First Gig Iron Maiden Oct/Nov 79 'Eves' night club Cheltenham Paul D'ianno on lead screech at the time

Gromit
24-07-2008, 14:16
First live concert I went to? I'd have to ask my mum & dad as I don't think I could even walk at that age.

First one I remember clearly was around 1971/2 - I'd just started learning the Clarinet (aged 6) and saw Jack Brymer playing the Brahms and Mozart Clarinet Quintets at Cambridge Guildhall (can't recall the name of the string quartet). :)

StanleyB
24-07-2008, 21:26
I remember the first life show I saw. It was in Amsterdam in the red light district:eyebrows:. First record I bought was Float On by the Floaters. The 2nd was The Best of Bread, and the 3rd was Child In Time by Deep Purple. The only reason I remember them is because they were the only records I had for years...

Marco
24-07-2008, 21:35
First record I bought was Float On by the Floaters.

Now that is a mad record - I remember it well!

Did you play it when you were gettin' down 'n' dirty, gettin' jiggy, bro? :eyebrows:

Marco.

StanleyB
24-07-2008, 22:25
In those days I lived in South America and went to school with people who had rich parents. Aids was still 7 or more years away, and in the tropics even a bikini can be too much clothing in hot weather. As a college student one of the traditional task was to have scored with someone from each college year, and then it was with someone from each class. The right records helped, but I am afraid that I didn't have the same facilities as some that would allow me to travel far and wide in search of another cross in the right box. I am talking about a motorbike or car. I had to mainly be contend with college orgies, where it is not so much of a friendly atmosphere. It is more like rushing in, showing your skills, and letting someone else have a go afterwards... Then you ticked your score card the next day to keep track of how far you were on the list...

Marco
25-07-2008, 09:37
I had to mainly be contend with college orgies...

Oh the sacrifice of it all, eh?

Hahahahahahaha... What a man! :lolsign:

Marco.

shane
25-07-2008, 15:29
In those days I lived in South America and went to school with people who had rich parents. Aids was still 7 or more years away, and in the tropics even a bikini can be too much clothing in hot weather. As a college student one of the traditional task was to have scored with someone from each college year, and then it was with someone from each class. The right records helped, but I am afraid that I didn't have the same facilities as some that would allow me to travel far and wide in search of another cross in the right box. I am talking about a motorbike or car. I had to mainly be contend with college orgies, where it is not so much of a friendly atmosphere. It is more like rushing in, showing your skills, and letting someone else have a go afterwards... Then you ticked your score card the next day to keep track of how far you were on the list...

Somehow, Plymouth CFE in 1972 wasn't quite like that...

Pool Hall Richard
08-08-2008, 12:04
First gig - Clapton at the Albert Hall '91
First record - Adam Ant - Puss In Boots.......'83 I think?

John
09-08-2008, 11:02
First Album Slade Alive 1974
First Gig The Who Wembley Stadium 1979

thrunobulaxx
09-08-2008, 14:50
Confession time what was the first live band you saw and what was the first record you bought, come on now you know you need to unburden yourself of your guilt. You will feel better for it, though I can’t guarantee you won’t get the p**s taken out of.. :lol:

I’ll go first.

First live Gig – Marc Bolan and T-Rex. Live at Newcastle I think 1974. I was 14, a mate persuaded his brother to take us the 50 miles to Newcastle. My parents still think I was at a friend’s house doing my school homework (yeh fat chance)

First record was – Big Country Western themes. Stop laughing now I was only 11 at the time, that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to that version of events

Andy - SDDW

The floyd with syd at the roundhouse in chalk farm around 1970 maybe earlier, it changed my life.

first LP was ummagumma ;) the next monday morning.

09-08-2008, 17:03
The last 3 posts, you all had fantastic first gigs. Must have been a real joy for your first experience of a live concert. Hope there were a lot more good ones to follow.

Andy - SDDW

vegetableman
10-09-2008, 11:16
Traffic + Pink Floyd, Liverpool autumn 1967

My first visit to the UK

Any memories of that show you could share with us my friend? Pink Floyd in '67 is a very cool thang....

vegetableman
10-09-2008, 11:17
The floyd with syd at the roundhouse in chalk farm around 1970 maybe earlier, it changed my life.

first LP was ummagumma ;) the next monday morning.

Would have been earlier. He got the sack in may '68. So tell us more!

vegetableman
10-09-2008, 11:23
First show- Slade @ Earls Court July 1973 (The same night Bowie retired Ziggy at Hammersmith).

First Single - Twist and Shout - The Beatles (I was 4 and my sister took me to a record shop in Walthamstow to buy it)

First LP - HELP! - The Beatles (Xmas present that year)

First LP with own Money - Would have been one of the Reggae Chartbusters series in the late 60's/early 70's. I was a huge Trojan/Pama label fan and collector even at that age.

muffinman
29-09-2008, 15:26
gig- Anthrax Manchester appollo(I think)
7" - toni basil - mickey

Just thought I'd slip in and bring this all down a notch or eight

Rick O
30-09-2008, 12:21
First album I bought was The Wall... we had it on LP, but I wasn't allowed to play them due to the price and how delicate and wobbly the stylus and arm was (I still to this day have an irrational fear of LP12s)

First concert: Van Morrison when I was 5

greenhomeelectronics
01-10-2008, 07:27
First single was Juke box Jive by the Rubettes - early 70's can't remember which year. I bought it from Woolworths in Basingstoke where my dad bought me my first stereo - a fidelity record player with about 4 watts per channel.
First gig was Dr Feelgood at the Agincourt Camberley - think it was about 1987.
First album was Mud Rock, again from the early 70's.
I had such wonderful taste back then.....

John
01-10-2008, 08:29
The Who at Wembley had the Stranglers and AC/DC on the same line out
First record I bought Blue Oyster Cult On your Feet or On your Knees
I must get it agian sometime

Filterlab
01-10-2008, 11:09
First live gig was Shakespear's Sister when Stay was at number one, I've never really been into live music though as I prefer a studio recording. :)

http://www.geocities.com/djohnl_2000/Images/Singles/stay.jpg

First tape: Abba; Super Trouper

http://members.lycos.nl/abbadfs/hpbimg/CD%20Super%20Trouper%20(1980).jpg

First record: Europe; Rock the Night (Oh the shame! :()

http://www.anne-marie.se/Bilder/Europe/Rock%20the%20-%20Maxi.jpg

First CD: Jan Hammer; Escape from Television (still listen to it a lot now, great stuff!)

http://cdn.7static.com/static/img/sleeveart/00/000/145/0000014511_350.jpg

Mike
01-10-2008, 17:36
I've never really been into live music though as I prefer a studio recording. :)

Oh dear... :(

You need a good talking to young man! ;)

thrunobulaxx
01-10-2008, 19:37
Apart from pub bands my first proper gig was the floyd at chalk farm roundhouse sometime in the late 60`s, they did ummagumma stuff and syd was in front.
It changed my life, totally, i had been a scooter boy into the who untill then.
My first LP was the Stones, "aftermath" followed the who live at leeds, but things changed and atom heart mother set me off in a different direction eventually leading to FZ :)

John
21-11-2008, 08:55
Yesterday saw Opeath and Cynic at Shepards Bush
Cynic musicanship was of the highest calibre but not the greatest band to watch perform live, thought the music from Focus can across a lot better than the material from the new album
Opeath This was the first time I saw them, came away really impressed, musically they are quite varied having some thrash elements progressive elements and even the odd Jazz influnce. The crowd was totally into the music so much hair fyling around, the sound was bit muddy but was at the back so might of been better closer up. Not just a one dimensional metal band!!

alb
21-11-2008, 09:31
My daughter introduced me to Opeth. Not got any CDs yet but happy to watch one of their DVDs. So long as they don't overdo the growling, i think they're quite talented.

Last concert i saw was Neil Young in the late summer. He always plays what he wants, and not the crowd pleasers. Then again, he's always done what he wants. I suppose thats one of the reasons why i like him. Still twas a great concert and maybe my last chance to see him over here.

Filterlab
21-11-2008, 12:33
I went to see my mates play at their open air gig in Brandon in Suffolk, was a while back now though, just after the release of their album Fundamental (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_(Pet_Shop_Boys_album)). I don't go to many gigs to be honest, the sound quality is rarely to my liking, that gig however was excellent in every respect. :)

Beechwoods
21-11-2008, 14:30
Blimey. It's been ages since I went to see a gig. I think the last one was Spring Heel Jack at the Michael Tippett Centre, Bath back in 2003 with J Spaceman (psychedelics :)), Matthew Shipp (piano), Evan Parker (sax) and Han Bennink (drums). A great all-star lineup. Half of the show got released on their 'Live' album.

I've been to Glasto a few times since then. Super Furry Animals and Ozric Tentacles always stood out for me, though the Ozrics didn't play last year. No loss because their recent tours have been without Jon Egan their frontman / flute player who was always a good laugh.

John
21-11-2008, 18:29
[QUOTE=alb;23410]My daughter introduced me to Opeth. Not got any CDs yet but happy to watch one of their DVDs. So long as they don't overdo the growling, i think they're quite talented.

Best place to start off if you do not like the growls is Damnation

Spectral Morn
22-11-2008, 00:15
Hi guys

This year has been quite good so far. I have been to see a few older groups that I had seen years ago and wanted to see again.

Clannad - Irish, folk prog rock band. Excellent live and they played a lot of the prog stuff but for me just a wee bit to much of the early trad Irish folk. Still grat sound and quality musicianship. The first time I saw them Enya was playing keyboards. Pity my past employer has taken down my gigs reports from his web site as the photos were quite good.

The Orb -(again nice photos now gone from website). Saw these guys last when their first album came out. Came to them via System 7(used to love Steve Hillage many years ago(great music but like some Gong music, also, song lyrics are complete madness IMHO). Love System 7 and when I found out about the Orb and Steves involvement I had to check them out. This gig was very good and they played all my faves such as Fluffy Little Clouds etc.

Focus - Always wanted to see these guys. Wow what an amazing gig. Great sound and showmanship.

Asia- Saw these guys in The Perth concert hall in Scotland. Amazing always wanted to see these guys and thanks to my wife who booked it as a surprise I got to see them. Highlight of the night was their version of King Crimsons In the court of the Crimson King (however I would love to have seen King Crimson do this back in 1969, I was 4 then).

Jane Sibbery -a few years ago. Very individual and arty but amazing sound and show. Pity more don't know about this Canadian singer song writer.

Yes- with an orchestra. About six years ago on their Magnification tour. The orchestra played the keyboard parts. Wow,wow, wow. This was one of those gigs that just lives on. A magical experience. Saw yes in London on their reunion tour(everyone except Patrick Moraz who was in the band, played that night). That was incredible but and maybe it was the smaller venue but I enjoyed this gig more.

Regards D S D L :)

alb
22-11-2008, 08:00
Best place to start off if you do not like the growls is Damnation

I'll make a note of that. Thanks John.

Beechwoods
22-11-2008, 08:14
Clannad - Irish, folk prog rock band. Excellent live and they played a lot of the prog stuff but for me just a wee bit to much of the early trad Irish folk. Still grat sound and quality musicianship. The first time I saw them Enya was playing keyboards.

Clannad were a great live band. I saw them a couple of times back in the 80's c. 'Magical Ring' and 'Macalla' which was the last album they did that didn't seem lose their folk roots. They followed that with an awful album called Sirius which was - to me - far too MOR, and that turned me off checking out their later stuff. I much prefer the folky period myself - 'Dulaman', 'Cran Ull' and 'Fuam'. Their use of synths in supporting the early folk stuff was great. I think they had trouble fighting off major label pressure to get commercial after the success of the 'Legend' project.

I'd also just like to second John's recommendation of 'Damnation' to folks wanting to check out 'clean vocal' Opeth. It's almost an acoustic album. 'Windowpane' is a great track.

Spectral Morn
22-11-2008, 14:45
Hi Beachwoods.

I like them from the end of the pure folk period, so Legend, Magical ring onward. I actually like Sirius but as I like melodic American rock(AOR) this change in direction was welcomed by me, but short lived(Clannad say they don't like this album).

If you like the Legend, Maccala. Magical Ring period then there is a band called Iona who play similar music but a bit heavier. I saw them live a couple of times and they are amazing. However they are a Christian group and make no bones about that but they don't strictly speaking make praise music. There is more depth to it(not that I am knocking praise music).

When I first saw Clannad it was in support of the Magical Ring album. Sound was one of the best I have ever heard.

Regards D S D L ---- Neil:)

Beechwoods
22-11-2008, 15:49
I'll have to check out Iona. No problem here with evangelical music, I'm not religious by any stretch but I do like music with passion, even if its overtly proselytising. Richie Furay's 'I Am Sure' album is a great evangelical record. All the better for Chris Hillman's great mandolin. Lots of good music comes from this root, it's a strong creative seam.

Spectral Morn
22-11-2008, 17:35
Hi

Glad to hear you have an open mind. There is a guy who sadly died a few years ago( I also saw him live once, truly an amazing evening). His name is Rich Mullins and hes a singer song writer and very talented musician. I would suggest trying these two albums first . The world as best I remember it vol one and vol two. These should be easily got at any Wsley Owen bookshop or on line.

John If you have as open a mind then you should check out the following Christian rock bands Whiteheart ( albums Highland, Tales of wonder and Powerhouse) they are a bit like across between Styx, Kansas and Yes on these three albums.

Idle Cure, Rick Cua, Ralph Van Manen ( his Face the feeling album is amazing AOR, however I am not so keen on some of his other albums but this ones a classic), Kings X, Neal Morse, Geof Moore and the distance( Pure and simple is breathtakingly good IMHO), Rachel Rachel (who are like Heart).

I have many more if your interested.

Regards D S D L ----- Neil:)

John
22-11-2008, 18:43
Thanks for your recomendation I liked Kansas and Styx when they where more pomp so will check out Whiteheart , but if it goes to AOR I tend to switch off

Spectral Morn
22-11-2008, 18:57
In that case check out Tales of Wonder and Highland by White Heart and give Powerhouse a miss(bit like Survivor in places).

Some of the others I list are more AOR, I will have a think about POMP style rock.

Just popped into my head Trillion, Zon, Balance and Spys , all more Pomp in style.

Regards D S D L ---- Neil:)

John
22-11-2008, 19:13
wow now we talking obscure; long time since I heard anything by Trilion or Zon

Spectral Morn
22-11-2008, 23:27
Hi John

How about Sugar Creek (or the creek. They dropped the Sugar for a few of their last albums). First album Fortune is quite pomp in places, the later ones more AOR. If you like Kansas and I know you do, there is another American band called Spy. They only ever did the one album and its very good. Kansas were a very obvious influence but it is still a wonderful album. For more pomp/prog rock with a Yes influence how about Star Castle. Their first three albums Starcastle, Fountains of Light and Citadel are very good. Reel to Real their last not as good IMHO. Their recent come back album is quite good but just lacks a bit to be as good as the early material and there is one live album from the period of Citadel which is very good.

If I can think of anything else i'll add it here----- Touch ( Classic. If you get the Jap version it includes the unreleased Todd Rundgren produced second album. Not as good as the first but stilll good), Drive she Said(related to Touch, Mark Mangolds band), The Kite, Shooting Star, Sheriff, Prophet, and O'Ryan (bit like a lighter Saga, he did two albums Initiate and something Strong). Utopia (Todd Rundgrens pomp/prog band. Ra is a fantastic album IMHO.

John, if you can think of any please list them as I am sure you know of bands I don't.

Regards D S D L ----- Neil:)

John
23-11-2008, 07:52
Hi Neil perhaps we should call this the obscure pomp rock thread
I think you knowledge around this form of music is actualy more in depth than mine but I have a few suggestions, some are a bit left of field but still have a pomp element!
Angel The first album is the most Pomp in style
Early Queen Try Queen at the BBC
Magnum
Streets more AOR than pomp but both albums worth checking out With Steve Walsh on vocals and Mike Slammer on Guitar
Shooting Star
World Trade
Shy The first album
White Sister
A.C.T If you like Saga well worth checking this lot out maybe start out with the Silence
A more modern approach to pomp would be something like Muse
Fortune Classic Pomp; you need to be careful here make sure its the band on the MCA record label
I have a confession to make for a few years I really liked AOR but utimatly became very frustrated so I will include a few AOR albums i can still listen too I am more into Fusion World Fusion, World Music Prog Metal Jazz and Rock (both modern and old) and even some Folk these days
Jim Foster Power Lines
Bricklyn
Zappacosta
Good luck hunting most of this stuff is pretty obscure
Winterkat The Struggle

Spectral Morn
23-11-2008, 11:22
Back on line my bios battery has failed again. Got a new one fitted about 5 weeks ago and while everything has been okay it went off last night. The joys of PC's. It must not be charging for some reason. Oh well back to the PC repair guy.

Hi John

Firstly never assume someone knows more than you. You have mentioned a few I didn't know about and reminded me of a few I had forgot about. If you know of Bricklin that makes you fairly knowledgeable in my book. They only made one album I think and its a good one. White Sister great first album and World Trade:-Billly Sherwoods band(went on to be involved with YES), very good indeed . He and his brother had a band before World Trade called Lodgic and an album (vinyl only) called Nomadic Sands, this is fabulous(not surprisingly a bit like YES in feel and sound but a bit heavier).

No you have given me plenty to look at and try and get, and a few to dig out of the cd racks and have a listen and some on vinyl such as Fortune.

Thanks John

Regards D S D L ------ Neil:)

John
23-11-2008, 11:32
I will search for Lodgic sounds like my cup of tea Cheers

Pool Hall Richard
05-12-2008, 13:43
Last gig was Stevie Wonder at the O2. Terrible. Way too much political preaching about Obama, not what I want or need at a concert. Then he had every member of his backing band take a solo including his drummer and 2 percussionists:no: And then he stopped the gig to talk about the death of his mother :steam: He played hardly any of his classics during the first 75 mins that I managed to stay for. £150 for two tickets. Complete waste of money. Never again. :(

I was due to see Status Quo at Cambridge a few months back but they cancelled as their drummer was ill so that should be my next gig, the rescheduled date in Feb 09.

John
05-12-2008, 19:38
That sounds like one really bad gig

fraser.
26-12-2008, 23:19
LOL it really does.

My last gig was the foo fighters at the AECC. Some nice drumming, not really a fan of grohl as a front man though.. bit 'for the kids'

John
25-01-2009, 16:30
I am off to see Beth Hart tonight I let you know my thoughts but have high expecations

Beechwoods
25-01-2009, 16:32
Hope it's a good one - I know how much you've been looking forward to it! Which venue?

John
26-01-2009, 01:38
She was playing at the Borderline in London
wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww she has such an amazing voice; so much power but also so much soul and heartache. She is good on record but live its a whole different experience. Think the memory will linger for many days and weeks

trailer
30-01-2009, 08:19
Went to see Teddy Thompson last night. Top notch and great to hear him with a full band rather than the previous acoustic tour.

The support was Tift Merrit ( http://tiftmerritt.com ) who was rather excellent too.

Jason P
05-02-2009, 19:56
Jackie Leven at The Greys, Brighton...

Absolutely wonderful, I haven't seen him in three or more years and needed a fix - this guy is brilliant live, interspersing virtuoso guitar playing with a marvellous voice and stories as funny as any standup... check out the man's work if you've never heard him...

Jason

James G
01-03-2009, 05:47
Last concert I went to was Jason Mraz/We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things.

He and the band were very good live.

Pool Hall Richard
03-03-2009, 14:03
Status Quo at the Cambridge Corn Exchange a few weeks back. Great show. Shame about the lame ending. Why do they always end with that f***ing Anniversary Waltz??? At least we managed to get the early train back by leaving the show early. The rest of the setlist was great, mind.

baron
09-03-2009, 09:08
Yesterday

Aylesbury Symphony Orchestra

Overture to Lohengrin . Wagner

Concerto for Double Bass & Orchestra .Koussevitzky

Soloist: LEON BOSCH

Symphony No. 2 in E minor Op. 27 ………Rachmaninov

VENUE: St. Mary’s Church Aylesbury 3.30 pm

The Concerto for Double Bass was fantastic:)

http://www.aosweb.f9.co.uk/index.htm

MartinT
11-03-2009, 09:01
Saturday: The LSO with Pappato conducting at the Barbican
Rachmaninov 3rd Piano Concerto with Leif Ove Andsnes
Tchaikovsky 6th Symphony

Both absolutely superb with Andsnes magnificent on the piano.

20-05-2009, 08:28
Hi Guys

Off to see Jools Holland tonight in Middlesbrough.

Andy - SDDW

21-05-2009, 09:16
Hi Guys

Went to see Jools Holland Last night. What a great gig it was. Never seen Jools live before and really enjoyed it.

Took my mate who needs a wheel chair to get around. The nice thing about Middlesbrough Town Hall is my mate paid for his ticket and I got in free as a carer.

Dave Edmonds was one of the guest artists, along with Ruby Turner. Dave Edmonds a bit so so. Ruby Turner was something else altogether. What a voice she has, blooming fantastic. Well worth the gig just for her.

Andy - SDDW

Simon
30-05-2009, 06:12
Blast from the past guitar fans where are you?!

Off tomorrow to see - Castel San Pietro Blues here in Italy between Bologna and Imola - Nine Below Zero, featuring of course ex long-time Rory Gallagher (God bless you mate, we miss you) sidekicks Gerry McAvoy, Brendan O'Neill and Mark Feltham followed by bill-toppers The Fabulous Thunderbirds, no longer featuring Jimmy Vaughan little 'bro of the more famous Stevie Ray.

In a lovely big open-air piazza.

And it's free...

Simon
01-06-2009, 18:26
Nine Below Zero are a sunny lot with few musical pretensions - think sub-Dr Feelgood r'n'b.
But Mark Feltham is a world-class harmonica player and gets all the important solos.
Fab Thunderbirds are in a higher league alltogether, only Kim Wilson, frontman, remaining from original line-up, but polish and passion in equal proportion.
And what a frontman! Bags of charisma, and harmonica to equal anybody - more rhythmic as opposed to Feltham's melodic virtuosity and huge power.
For my money, both outshone Eddie Kirkland - old time black Blues harmonica specialist - during the usual final number free-for-all. White boys most certainly can...

So no big guitar showcase, but a pile of good tunes and some harmonica sounds which I seriously doubt can be bettered anywhere, good show.

Dr. Flicker
04-07-2009, 14:27
Wed evening:

Went down to Nathan Phillips Square for the Shuffle Demons concert (including an epic 15-minute version of Spadina Bus, where they left the stage and paraded all over the square, including in the pool/fountain).

A little while later I sat under a Henry Moore sculpture and listened to the Dave Brubeck Quartet.

I topped the night off down at Harbourfront with the Constantines.

And it was all free.

mantisory
18-07-2009, 15:09
Dr. Flicker, I wish I'd known about the Shuffle Demons! That'd have been great! I recently went to see Hiromi (in her Canadian solo debut) at the Harbourfront...an excellent show - she is one talented girl!
Byron

DanJennings
23-07-2009, 18:10
Andy, who was jools playing with?
Because I saw him a few times years ago with 'His Rhythm and Blues Orchestra' or whatever he called it, and they were excellent, just interested

24-07-2009, 05:15
Hi Dan

Jools was with his Rhythm and Blues Band, as you have seen them. Very good in deed. They have obviously been playing together for a long time. Very tight and they can adlib and play of each other in a very easy manner. They make it all look easy, which is the result of excellent musicians playing well together.

Would certainly go to see them again

DanJennings
24-07-2009, 09:16
....and of course, it looks like they're having a great time, which is always a plus

starless and slightly fat
06-09-2009, 16:34
Hi all!
My last concert was in Santa Cruz, California. A very eclectic mix.

Opening was Judgment Day: instrumental death metal played on cello and violin with a drummer. One of the most amazing acts I've ever seen.

Second band was Torche: so loud that the whole audience took two steps back during the soundcheck. Overall, the best sludge I've heard since Kyuss- which for me is saying a lot. But the volume was painful, even with ear plugs in.

Headliner was dredg: my tie for favorite contemporary band along with Porupine Tee. Amazing stuff- hard to describe. But the most generous and humble band I've ever seen. The had to two kids from Judgement Day up for about 5 songs, and even let the violinist take some guitar leads

Beechwoods
17-09-2009, 23:42
Martin Carthy & Dave Swarbrick at Bristol St Georges. A great show, lots of banter and stories, some old songs but mostly more recently discovered, and Swarb on fine form! And many thanks to Symon here for the ticket. I'm pretty sure you enjoyed the show too!

Got to shake the great man's hand (Carthy :)) at half-time too so it'll have to stay unwashed for a few days in respect.

symon
18-09-2009, 09:13
It was a great gig. The second half especially for me when they started playing more unusual stuff. And yes, Swarb was on good form. And so was Martin Carthy, who still manages to amaze and surprise me with his playing every time I see him.

So, great music, good beer and great company. A fantastic evening! Thanks for the company Beechy

freefallrob
18-09-2009, 11:19
Wet Wet Wet at Sheffield Arena with er in doors.

Ben's Brother were the support act.

They were both rather good:o!!!!

Alex_UK
18-09-2009, 11:43
Haven't been to any live music since my little girl was born nearly a year ago - but Missus Alex dragged me to Kylie last August at the O2 - obvioulsy 8+ months pregnant (My wife, not Kylie!) We got there rather too early, and I spent too much time in the bar... :glug:when we got to our seats we were so high up in the Gods that Kylie was a microdot on the stage, so I couldn't even "perv" :stalks:- I got another beer, :cool:then fell asleep :drunk: before I got a slap for snoring!

The funniest thing though was the Missus on the tube back - got talking to a couple who'd come down from Birmingham for the gig, and unbeknown to me she asked them where they were staying, and they said the Hilton. She said that's cool, we're staying there too. So they tagged along with us Sue said "they're staying in the same hotel as us" so I merrily proceeded to navigate the four of us back to the hotel, then wondered why they looked at me strangely as we got to reception - we were staying at the Radison, not the Hilton! Bless her, and yes, she is blonde...!

HighFidelityGuy
18-09-2009, 14:00
I went to see Explosions in the Sky in Sheffield on the 7th of Sep. Fantastic gig but not quite as good as their gig in Manchester last year. It never ceases to amaze me how close they can get their live sound to the CD despite their music being highly technical. They must practice a stupid amount to make sure they're spot on. I can't wait till they come back to the UK again. I hear a new album is in the pipeline too, so that's something to look forward to as well.

Barry
18-09-2009, 17:13
Mike Chapman at The Green Note, Camden London, last Thursday.

Hadn't see him live for thirty years! Thoroughly enjoyable, Mike is now regularly touring the country, and was in fine form: playing a mixture of favourites as well as new material plus some witty inter-song banter.

starless and slightly fat
21-09-2009, 01:50
3 hours ago- saw George Duke at the Monterey Jazz Festival. I love it here!

Rare Bird
05-10-2009, 10:56
Under Duress i had to go See John Barrowman at Sheffield City hall this year with the wife.. Desperate to think of a present for her.

freefallrob
05-10-2009, 11:22
Under Duress i had to go See John Barrowman at Sheffield City hall this year with the wife.. Desperate to think of a present for her.

Hehehe, great post;).

John
05-10-2009, 17:48
On thursday going to see Ritchie Kotzen and Saturday I am off to see Dream Theater so going through my back catalogue
Listening to Live at the Marquee always brings great memories then will listen to a Train of Thought
Git a free ticket as well:guitar:;)

John
11-10-2009, 06:50
From last night gig
Missed the first band
Bigelf A retro hard rock band with ptog elements think Uriah Heep and you be pretty close. Quite enjoyable
Opeath Great as always band really tight I can even handle the Death vocals as they mix it up so much
Dream Theatre Any set what contains Take the Time is going to be a good set list for me. A lot better than last year
It was great watching Mike Portney being so supportive to the other bands I remember Mike from my tape trading days he has a geniune love of music

aquapiranha
08-11-2009, 12:52
Last night I was lucky enough to see Cara Dillon in Londonderry. This was the second time I have seen her in the same venue, the millenium forum, a lovely venue.

Cara said again that she enjoys being on her home turf most (she hails from Dungiven, not far away) and it certainly felt she was giving her best for the home crowd!

Anyone who has not yet had the pleasure should check out her music, especially if you like beautiful female vocals with a relaxing but sometimes frantic backdrop!

A fantastic gig, I only hope one day I will see her again.

Rare Bird
28-11-2009, 21:43
Just got in from the pub up Sheffield, this particular pub is bang next to Sheffield City Hall. Alice Cooper is playing tonight. The pub was full of pricks dressed as him, i'm glad to get out even though it cut my boozing session in half..For crying out loud why do fans of artists have to dress like em eh!!! immature i say even tho i noticed half were older than me!!

tubehunter
28-11-2009, 21:50
genesis at the liverpool empire playing the lamb lies down on broadway

DanJennings
30-11-2009, 10:14
Went to see Motorhead last night, supported by Girlschool and The Damned.

Unfortunately missed most of Girlschool, but got the beers in and really enjoyed The Damned, and Motorhead, were well, Motorhead!
My ears are still ringing, a thoroughly enjoyable night, made all the better by this:

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/DCFC0007.jpg
Captain Sensible

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/DCFC0010.jpg
And Lemmy, obviously

Alex_UK
30-11-2009, 16:53
Nice one Dan - are you sure Lemmy is actually alive, though, on that picture?! ;)

I loved Girlschool as a spotty 12yr old - and the Damned a few years later - sounds like a cracking gig!

Covenant
30-11-2009, 17:15
genesis at the liverpool empire playing the lamb lies down on broadway

I was there!

DanJennings
01-12-2009, 11:52
went to see Regina Spektor last night, it was good, but a couple of niggling factors spoiled my night a little.
1. The venue (Birmingham Academy) has recently moved, and has decided to not sell bitter, and the only lager on sale was Carlsberg, blech!
2. The setlist. Nothing off the first 2 albums, almost ALL of the new album, which is OK, but still probably the worst one.
3. The crowd. The (mainly female) crowd would whoop and scream excessively at EVERYTHING. Regina starts a song (WOOOO) Regina ends a song (WOOOO) Regina picks up a new instrument (WOOOO) Regina talks to the crowd (WOOOO) Regina says a naughty word in her song (WOOOO) and of course the usual.... it wasn't a loud gig, and if the song was a single, everyone would sing along, partially drowning her out. I paid £22.50 to hear Regina, not you lot.

DanJennings
02-12-2009, 09:35
Went to see Alice Cooper last night, excellent show.
Played all the classics, with a few nice surprises (The Awakening, The Black Widow)
The stage show was unsurprisingly fairly spectacular, a guillotine, an iron maiden, gallows, an evil nurse, and plenty going on most of the time.
Unfortunately Alice stormed out and got straight on his bus, so we didn't get to meet him, but it was still a great show.

Eckythump
28-12-2009, 14:56
My last gig:

Rodrigo Y Gabriela at the Manchester Apollo

Very enjoyable live performance from two talented guitarists who have great rapport with the crowd and eachother. Amazing the range of sounds they can get from two accoustic guitars. Got a little bit 'samey' towards the end but that would be my only critisim. If you buy the new 11:11 album with the DVD you get some nice live footage and some of them rehersing tracks from the album.

My next gig:

Wolfmother at Manchester Academy on January

I'm re-discovering my rock roots and have agreed to go and give them a try. Should be a lively start to the year!

John
28-12-2009, 17:05
Rodrigo Y Gabrielle are a really great live band and I agree the way the audience gets into the music makes it even better
Yeah those rock roots are well worth hanging onto

Ashmore
28-01-2010, 23:36
MIDLAKE in Southend on Tuesday (and me a Leyton Orient fan, I was lucky to get out alive!).

Superb performance, great band.

DanJennings
31-01-2010, 16:33
Fairport Convention at The Roses Theater, Tewkesbury on Friday night....

excellent gig, they've still got it, plenty of variety, old and new etc.
picked up their latest album from the show, and I have to say I'm very impressed with it.... it even has an XTC cover on it!

Marco
04-02-2010, 00:18
Rammstein concert last night at the MEN in Manchester - what a f*cking riot that was!! :lol:

Simply awesome musically and as a performance spectacle in itself... :stalks:

And my God it was painfully loud! We were sat pretty high up overlooking the stage and I could feel my trouser flaps flapping and chest cavity vibrating with the sheer intensity of the bass impact from the PA system - those amps must have been kicking out quite a few kilowatts of power :eek:

Marco.

Barry
04-02-2010, 00:38
Rammstein concert last night at the MEN in Manchester - what a f*cking riot that was!! :lol:

Simply awesome musically and as a performance spectacle in itself... :stalks:

And my God it was painfully loud! We were sat pretty high up overlooking the stage and I could feel my trouser flaps flapping and chest cavity vibrating with the sheer intensity of the bass impact from the PA system - those amps must have been kicking out quite a few kilowatts of power :eek:

Marco.

Hi Marco,

Trust you and Del were wearing ear plugs. Wouldn't want your enjoyment of the occasion to be spoilt by hearing damage.

Regards

Marco
04-02-2010, 00:45
Hi Barry,

At one point I thought that it might be necessary, as the SPLs were literally shaking the foundations of the structure we were in, but surprisingly our ears weren't ringing afterwards!

Fortunately for the sake of our hearing, we don't go to many of these types of gigs.

We got back home though and (nearly) replicated the same effect with 'Du hast' blasting through the Tannoys!! :eyebrows: :eek:

Marco.

John
04-02-2010, 09:05
I think Marco needs earplugs for his home sysytem as well Lol:)

Haselsh1
04-02-2010, 09:22
It'd be no good Marco coming for a sesh at our house...! I'm in the middle of listening to Rebecca Pidgeon very quietly...!! These days I seldom do anything noisily... well, almost anything...;)

Marco
04-02-2010, 10:18
Lol.... Rammstein must be listened to at ear-bleeding levels - it just doesn't work any other way! :eyebrows:

I also like Rebecca Pidgeon. Barry knows how varied my taste in music is - I can go from Rammstein to Frank Sinatra all in the one sesh!!

What was really funny though was that before the concert started I got chatting to a guy sitting next to my wife who had come all the way down from Lennoxtown, just outside of Glasgow, to go to the gig.

Anyway, It turned out he was also a Celtic fan, so we were chatting about football, and when I get talking to someone else from Glasgow, my accent changes somewhat and I start using Scottish slang.... So the vernacular was, shall we say, 'rife'....

Next thing, two girls sitting next to me turned round and asked "Where are you from, Germany or the Czech Republic"?

I giggled to myself and couldn't resist replying: "Naw, hen, am fae Glesga!"

The look on their faces was priceless!! :lolsign:

Marco.

Barry
04-02-2010, 14:06
Hi Barry,

At one point I thought that it might be necessary, as the SPLs were literally shaking the foundations of the structure we were in, but surprisingly our ears weren't ringing afterwards!

Fortunately for the sake of our hearing, we don't go to many of these types of gigs.

We got back home though and (nearly) replicated the same effect with 'Du hast' blasting through the Tannoys!! :eyebrows: :eek:

Marco.

Hi Marco,

Glad to hear that both you and Del survived the ear hammering.

Without wishing to come across an insufferable nanny, you do have to be careful when attending loud performances. It only takes a single exposure to a very loud noise to damage your hearing; either loosing a few KHz off the top end or inducing tinnitus.

Our ears have a natural protection mechanism and a certain amount of self repair, however this ability falls off as we get older. Be warned!

Regards

dave2010
26-02-2010, 20:48
Am I in the wrong place? If so, sorry!

Paul Lewis playing Mozart: Adagio in B minor, K540,Schumann: Fantasie in C, Op 17, Liszt: Vallée d'Obermann and
Beethoven: Piano sonata no 21 in C minor, Op 53 (“Waldstein”) with the shortest encore imaginable.

Barry
27-02-2010, 00:21
Am I in the wrong place? If so, sorry!

Paul Lewis playing Mozart: Adagio in B minor, K540,Schumann: Fantasie in C, Op 17, Liszt: Vallée d'Obermann and
Beethoven: Piano sonata no 21 in C minor, Op 53 (“Waldstein”) with the shortest encore imaginable.

Where did you hear that Dave? Quite often if the soloist has not been happy with his performance the encores can be short, regardless of audience appreciation.

Regards

jon1
28-02-2010, 11:52
Well going back a few years...david bowie ziggy stardust days manchester..and it was mint;)

jon

dave2010
01-03-2010, 06:30
Where did you hear that Dave? Quite often if the soloist has not been happy with his performance the encores can be short, regardless of audience appreciation.

RegardsClaygate - see http://www.ocms-music.org.uk/OCMS-2009-10/OCMS-artist-2010-Paul-Lewis.html Difficult to say how Paul felt about it all. He seems very serious, as though he doesn't like encores, unlike some - Stephen Hough for example, and from a bygone era and now now longer with us, Shura Cherkassky. There weren't any major problems as far as I could tell, though there were some extraineous noises/resonances which he might have found disturbing from some instruments (cymbals, drums) left nearby.

DanJennings
25-03-2010, 13:12
Went to see Jethro Tull last night, and was once again, not disappointed.

Anderson's voice isn't what it was, but the musicianship of the band was incredible... They played a huge range of stuff, and as always, plenty of surprises. A good proportion of the songs, I had never seen performed live before, and that's no mean feat, considering this is the 10th time I've seen them.

the classics were (mostly) all there, locomotive breath, bouree, aqualung, songs from the wood, etc. surprisingly no Living in the past, or customary edit of thick as a brick, but I can't really complain.

a real gem, and not often played (in my experience) was life's a long song, a real treat.

As I said, Anderson's voice is a little more strained, but he still leaps around the stage like a teenager, stands on one leg etc.

One thing to moan about though, the support was godawful. This woman, who started off as a mediocre Kate Bush, descended into what sounded like a wailing pub singer, even with the help of Jethro Tull as a backing group through much of her material.... Left me gagging for a drink at the interval.

Marco
01-04-2010, 23:59
No fanny action this time then, Dan? :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

DanJennings
02-04-2010, 09:40
alas no... you can't win em all ;)

Themis
03-04-2010, 22:27
Just came back from the Red Army Chorus concert. Very good. :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ZYKH42RDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Barry
08-04-2010, 18:21
Mike Chapman and Bridget St. John, last Wednesday. Two seminal '60s acoustic folk guitarists.

Technically not quite as good as, say, Bert Jansch or John Renbourn, but Chapman is as inventive as John Martyn.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

DanJennings
21-04-2010, 11:54
Went to see Rufus Wainwright at Symphony Hall last night, very good indeed.

The whole show seemed quite intimate, just Rufus at a piano.
The first half was him performing his new album in its entirety, with no applause by request, which made it a quite unusual experience to be honest, it feels quite weird to hear dead silence in a venue between songs...
The songs themselves, that I had never heard before, were excellent, very stark lonely songs, some of which understandably dealt with the recent death of his mother, Kate McGarrigle.

After an interval, the second set began, and was much more jovial, and he played some of his more lighthearted numbers, along with a generous helping of the Want Two album, which I seem to play far too often for my own good :) A very long concert, that never seemed tiring (he must have played 35+ songs) and ended with a touching cover of Kate McGarrigle's 'The Walking Song' at the end

Marco
21-04-2010, 13:05
No lesbo bitches there this time then, Dan, coating the stage floor with pussy puss? :eyebrows:

Marco.

John
21-04-2010, 13:10
Saw The Auroa Project good tight band but PA leeting them down a bit Just not shifting air. PA monitors to small

MartinT
21-04-2010, 13:29
Joan Armatrading last week at the Basingstoke Anvil. She still oozes class and has preserved that wonderful voice despite knocking on 60. Some of her new songs are good, some average, but the old favourites are simply gorgeous. Good, tight & professional backing band. Sound was very good, not over-loud and with a clear theatre sound.

Alex_UK
21-04-2010, 20:13
Went to see Rufus Wainwright at Symphony Hall last night, very good indeed.

I know nothing of his work, though I know of him - luckily Spotify is fully loaded with his records - I'll give him a whirl.

Barry
25-04-2010, 23:58
To be perfectly honest I'm not sure what the first concert I went to see was. It might have been something classical with my parents. I'm pretty certain the first pop performance I saw was The Amen Corner, in around '64 (or was it '66?). Saw Pink Floyd in '67 and numerous pub blues bands, including Champion Jack Dupree at that time.

Again, the first record I bought? Probably the Shadows 'Frightened City'. First EP (two weeks pocket money at the time): With the Beatles.
First LP: Beatles for Sale.

Regards

MartinT
26-04-2010, 06:32
First album I bought: Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Waters

First gig: Rick Wakeman - The Myths & Legends of King Arthur

John
26-04-2010, 06:47
opps already posted

Haselsh1
26-04-2010, 08:33
First seven inch single bought... Shapes of Things by the Yardbirds around 1965

First LP bought... Every Picture Tells a Story by Rod Stewart around 1972

First gig... The Stranglers at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens around 1976

DanJennings
26-04-2010, 18:01
first gig: Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers around 1991, really excellent....

first album(s):
bought at the same time with saved up pocket money after I got my first tape player for christmas, Led Zepp 2, Michael Jackson Bad, and Queen Night At The Opera (on cassette) not bad for an eight year old!

first CD: Ugly Kid Joe - As Ugly As They Wanna Be

first 7": I thought it was probably Shed Seven - She Left Me On Friday, but then I realised I was bought Spitting Image - The Chicken Song for a christening present by one of my sister's wacky friends

first 12": probably Bill Nelson's Red Noise - Sound On Sound

The Grand Wazoo
26-04-2010, 21:08
This thread has stopped working. On the forum lists, it's telling me the last post (#49)was from Dan at 7:01pm.
Dan - you've snapped the thread!

Alex_UK
26-04-2010, 21:28
It's ok Chris, you mendered it! :)

The Grand Wazoo
26-04-2010, 22:22
Weird!

Spectral Morn
27-04-2010, 09:59
First gig-Toyah

First proper album-Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds (but there were soundtrack albums before that Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and the like...)

Regards D S D L

Jason P
27-04-2010, 13:22
First gig - Iron Maiden, Hammersmith Odeon. Prolly around 86. Loud, and very very drink on cider - but not as drunk as my mate Kevin who slept through most of it. I was desperately trying to impress a girl who'd come with us, though at the time I didn't realise how futile this was as she was a) 3 years older than me and b) gay. Ah well.

First record - can I discount 'Wombling Free' by The Wombles? I was only about 5 and my mum bought it, so I'm going to say Sparks - Number One Song in Heaven.

Jason

The Grand Wazoo
27-04-2010, 18:27
First single:
Deep Purple - 'Black Night' with a picture sleeve. (Not in 1970, when it was first released though)

First album:
Aaron Copland - Billy The Kid, Rodeo, Fanfare For The Common Man
Johanos / Dallas Symphony Orchestra

http://www.discogs.com/image/R-150-2061637-1261820214.jpeg

First 'File Under Popular' album:
Black Sabbath - 'We Sold Our Souls for Rock & Roll'

First Gig:
Queen - Brighton

DanJennings
27-04-2010, 18:30
This thread has stopped working. On the forum lists, it's telling me the last post (#49)was from Dan at 7:01pm.
Dan - you've snapped the thread!

sorry! I'm a right bastard. :)

Barry
27-04-2010, 18:30
First single:
Deep Purple - 'Black Night' with a picture sleeve. (Not in 1970, when it was first released though)

First album:
Aaron Copland - Billy The Kid, Rodeo, Fanfare For The Common Man
Johanos / Dallas Symphony Orchestra

http://www.discogs.com/image/R-150-2061637-1261820214.jpeg

First 'File Under Popular' album:
Black Sabbath - 'We Sold Our Souls for Rock & Roll'

First Gig:
Queen - Brighton

Chris,
I'm just getting a box with a kiss on it.

Regards

DanJennings
27-04-2010, 18:36
Chris,
I'm just getting a box with a kiss on it.

Regards

http://hardrockheavymetal.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/kiss-alive-box-set.jpg

;)

The Grand Wazoo
27-04-2010, 19:07
Very good Dan!
.......but no, I don't ever recall spending any money on Kiss albums.

The Grand Wazoo
27-04-2010, 19:18
Barry, I can't find a picture that works (although theone I posted works for me)
It's this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DALLAS-SYMPHONY-ORCH-BILLY-KID-RODEO-1967-LP-/280490338843

Barry
27-04-2010, 22:23
http://hardrockheavymetal.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/kiss-alive-box-set.jpg

;)

:lolsign: No, not that kind of kiss!

Barry
27-04-2010, 22:26
Barry, I can't find a picture that works (although theone I posted works for me)
It's this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DALLAS-SYMPHONY-ORCH-BILLY-KID-RODEO-1967-LP-/280490338843

Ah! Few composers captured the spirit as well as Copland.

Regards

John
28-04-2010, 06:47
Went to Pizza express Jazz cafe in Soho to see the Surinder Sandhu band
Wowwwwwww Very very tight band I was in total awe which is really rare for me I got chatting to the band after the gig really nice geniune people to
Last night was one of those nights that reminded me why I love music so much It somehow takes me home to myself totally inspiring!

goraman
02-05-2010, 03:18
My first live gig was Heart.
First LP was The Kinks Greatest Hits (mono)

goraman
02-05-2010, 05:38
Juliette and the licks
Julliette Lewis from Hollywood
It was at a small club called the Bordwalk,she preforms between hollywood movies as she is a very big actress.
I did get to drink a beer with her and got a sighned CD & T shirt.
I had to keep in mind I was married while my wife was on the other side of the world still a year from joining me.
Juliette dose a great punk gig.One of the perks of liveing in California.
I can say she is real people and not so much Hollywoodish.

Barry
03-05-2010, 00:43
My first live gig was Heart.
First LP was The Kinks Greatest Hits (mono)

Good start there Jeff! :)

Regards

freefallrob
04-05-2010, 08:37
I went to 'The Temper Trap' last night at Rock City in Nottingham.

They can play! Good night had by all:)

magiccarpetride
05-05-2010, 20:13

I’ll go first.

Andy - SDDW

First record: Sgt. Pepper's

First live performance: Elvin Jones Quartet (with Dave Liebman on soprano sax), followed by the Cannonball Quintet (with George Duke on keyboards)

AIKEF
09-05-2010, 13:08
First record bought: Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen

First Live Concert: A Kind Of Magic Tour - Queen

Slightly odd that!

chris@panteg
13-05-2010, 11:52
Myself and A good friend of mine, John are going to see Peter Hammill next weds 19th.

At the Cambridge Junction ,looking forward to it:)

MartinT
13-05-2010, 12:21
I'm thinking about Hawkwind at Oxford in December. Not sure my partner really wants to accompany me...

Simon P
13-05-2010, 17:46
I went to see Joanna Newsom at the Royal Festival Hall last night.

Even though I was waay back, she sounded amazing - though I concede her voice is something of an acquired taste. :) She had a really good, tight band particularly the drummer/percussionist.

Half-way through her set she had to stop to re-tune her harp. To fill this short gap, the band started a Q&A session with the audience. Most amusing/random question from the crowd was "Have you seen Iron Man 2 yet?" :lol:

Simon

John
13-05-2010, 18:14
I got tickets for Richie Kotzen when he is playing in London I am really looking forward to it

The Grand Wazoo
13-05-2010, 18:18
Teenage Fanclub for me at the end of this month! Ages since I last saw them.

Rare Bird
07-06-2010, 16:31
Yeh i have i brilliant year ahead NOT :steam:

I'm forced to go with the wife to see both John Barrowman in October & Human League in December i'm praying i drop dead before then. :(

MartinT
07-06-2010, 16:51
Well I'm looking forward to Paul McCartney in Hyde Park later this month, Simon Rattle and the Berlin Philharmonic next February and Roger Waters next May. I'm still trying to work out whether I can see Hawkwind in December.

Alex_UK
09-06-2010, 20:48
Yeh i have i brilliant year ahead NOT :steam:

I'm forced to go with the wife to see both John Barrowman in October & Human League in December i'm praying i drop dead before then. :(

I LOVE Human League, but they're not the best band live, in my experience... in fact the last time I saw them Joanne & Susan (I think that's their names) looked like they would rather be at home doing the ironing! :lol: Mind you, that was quite a few years ago now. Wonder if they're coming this way...?

Rare Bird
09-06-2010, 21:31
Wonder if they're coming this way...?

Tell yer what come this way & you can go with our lass free

:lolsign:

Alex_UK
10-06-2010, 19:40
I'm already checking the bus timetable. :)

aquapiranha
11-06-2010, 16:50
Ticket booked to go and see the truly fabulous Cara Dillon for the third time! For a reason unknown to me she is playing the Crosby civic centre in Liverpool! It must be fate, this time she will notice me and dump her husband Sam Lakeman (brother of Seth) for me finally...

Oh, I just woke up!!

http://www.crosby.towntalk.co.uk/events/d/27686/Cara-Dillon/

Techno Commander
26-06-2010, 19:19
Last concert I went to was Deep Purple last november. Superb as always.
I also have my tickets for Roger Waters "The Wall" tour next year. Should be quite epic. :)

colinB
27-06-2010, 22:13
Havent been to a gig for ages , bit of a no mates when it comes to a gigs these days.
So last thursday went down to the union chapel to see a night by Bella Union label.
What do you know i had a great night. Must do it more often.
Highlight was mountain man, a trio of young woman doing a modern Appulachian blue grass thing, and to end the night the one time Czars singer John Grant. What a voice.

MartinT
27-06-2010, 23:37
Just returned from Paul McCartney in Hyde Park. He is a true statesman of performance and rattled off Beatles, Wings and more recent material with equal aplomb. A great show with the highlight of Live and Let Die complete with fireworks. Ruth and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mothman
02-07-2010, 21:56
Hi,
My last gig was blues guitarist Joe Bonamassa in May at Bournemouth. Next it's Sandy Thom in Swindon-September, Nils Lofgren in Basingstoke - October, then Walter Trout- Reading also October.

Techno Commander
06-07-2010, 21:25
First gig was Hawkwind, Southampton Gaumont, Chronicle of the Black Sword.

First record was Bat Out Of Hell.

Pete The Cat
20-07-2010, 19:05
Crystal Castles at Latitude on Saturday. They purged the arena of earlier blandness...

Pete

DanJennings
27-07-2010, 18:35
I've been to a few gigs since I last posted on here a couple of months ago, so I'll bring you up to speed.

I saw Mark Knopfler at the NEC, who was excellent even though he'd injured himself and was confined to a chair throughout the performance. He played plenty of his new album which sounded great, will have to look into getting it, and a few old favourites and Dire Straits numbers, including Wild West End, which was a real treat because it's one of my favourites.

I saw Pennywise (the punk band not the evil clown from 'It') at the Birmingham O2 Academy 2, and only knew about 1/3 of the songs (I am pretty new to Pennywise) but it was a cracking punk gig, sweat dripping off the walls, people pogoing like maniacs etc.

Went to Eastnor Castle to an outdoor Jools Holland gig a couple of weeks ago, and it was as you'd probably expect a Jools gig to go, plenty of boogiewoogie, swing, etc, and a few special guests. Alison Moyet was great, Ruby Turner was even better, and I even bumped into Richard Hammond, which was a bit random, but a bonus!

Lastly, I saw Terrorvision last Sunday, at the Robin 2 in Bilston, and it was fantastic, best gig I've been to in ages. The support, a classic rock type band called The Virginmarys were a real surprise, think zeppelin with a bit of AC/DC groove. The CD is good, but it doesn't compare to their live show. Terrorvision were even better, the singer cavorted around the stage like a lunatic, they were great fun, and seemed to be having a great time while playing all the old favourites and some cracking new songs.

sparrow
27-07-2010, 20:15
I saw Rickie Lee Jones about a month ago in Edinburgh..pretty good 2 1/4 hour set with just here on guitar, Piano and a realy young guy on Mandolin, Acoustic Guitar and violin.and an excellent bass player. They all took a turn at playing drums.

MartinT
27-07-2010, 20:27
I saw Rickie Lee Jones about a month ago in Edinburgh

Saw her on the Jools Holland show not so long ago and I'd love to hear her live.

sparrow
27-07-2010, 23:02
Saw her on the Jools Holland show not so long ago and I'd love to hear her live.

I enjoyed the gig but she looked tired and worn out. There was very little banter between songs.

Barry
28-07-2010, 00:16
I saw Ricky Lee Jones in London in 1992. It was one of the most memorable and enjoyable concerts I have attended.

Perhaps she was in a very good mood: she was in the early stages of pregnancy and no doubt felt very happy with everything.

Buggleskelly
29-07-2010, 19:26
Transatlantic at the O2 Shepherds Bush Empire, Prog rock at its best.

Started at 7:45pm and still going at 11:10PM. I had to leave then so I could get my train home :(

MartinT
29-07-2010, 20:33
Got my Roger Waters tickets for next May at the O2 :)

Buggleskelly
30-07-2010, 10:27
Next gigs coming up for me:

Lady Antebellum - O2 Sherherds Bush Empire (Aug)

Supertramp - O2 Arena (Oct)

Anderson and Wakeman - Anvil Basingstoke (Oct)

MartinT
30-07-2010, 11:46
Anderson and Wakeman - Anvil Basingstoke (Oct)

Aaargh! Are there any tickets left?

MartinT
30-07-2010, 12:12
S'ok, just bought a pair of tickets. Excellent. Got Judie Tzuke the week before, too.

DanJennings
30-07-2010, 17:22
Got my Roger Waters tickets for next May at the O2 :)

and me, at huge expense...

Ian Walker
30-07-2010, 17:43
The better arf just got us a pair of tickets for the Doobie Brothers at the Manchester Apollo...YEEEHAAAA one of my favorite bands of all time(until mcdonald buggered em up)playin Manchester.:)

Thermionic
06-08-2010, 15:39
Yesterday evening we saw the Frank Griffith Nonet at the Watermill Jazz Club in Dorking. It was great to remind myself what a large jazz group actually sounds like when on full chat. Brilliant evening but I need bigger loudspeakers!

Ali Tait
06-08-2010, 16:21
Going to see Stiff Little Fingers tomorrow,should be a laugh! Also got tickets to see Dougie McLean playing at Dunfermline Abbey in a couple of weeks. Only 200 peeps will be there,should be a great gig,very much looking forward to it. My lovely other half got the tickets for my birthday.

Ali Tait
06-08-2010, 16:23
Yesterday evening we saw the Frank Griffith Nonet at the Watermill Jazz Club in Dorking. It was great to remind myself what a large jazz group actually sounds like when on full chat. Brilliant evening but I need bigger loudspeakers!

You kidding? The Quads may not do the bass hitting you in the chest thang,but they'll give you everything else!

DanJennings
07-08-2010, 14:35
Stiff Little Fingers are excellent live, one of my favourite punk bands.

I tried to see Bad Religion last night, but it was sold out. :steam:

Welder
07-08-2010, 14:55
I’m scared. I’m playing at a friends wedding reception in a few days time with a few of my instrument playing, Hi Fi enthusiasts friends. We were silly enough to mention to the groom that we had enough material to knock out a 3 hour set of Funk and Soul :eek: We ain’t exactly Tower of Power; more like Leaning Tower of Bristol, probably as old :eyebrows: Some fool said he was going to try to record us; no worries, we got his Missus to put him on a promise for the day so with a bit of luck he’ll have other things on his mind :closed:

DanJennings
30-08-2010, 10:59
Went to see Drongo's For Europe again last night, they were good as ever, and always a bonus to get given their new album free because I know the bassist's son.

One of the support bands 'Graveyard Johnny' a sort of psychobilly type band with a double bass player were excellent too.

tannoy man
30-08-2010, 14:00
Babyshambles at Cardiff uni, superb.:)

DanJennings
04-09-2010, 11:36
back and recovered from day 1 of the moseley folk festival, some great bands, some not so great bands

GREAT:
The Divine Comedy - wow, Neil Hannon is a fantastic performer, not to mention a funny, witty, charming and thoroughly likable gent.

Turin Brakes - I never realised I knew quite as many of their songs as I did...

Fyfe Dangerfield - Not really a fan, but his performance was spectacular.

Beth Jeans Houghton - Never heard of her before, but will definitely check her out.

NOT SO GREAT:

Starless and Bible Black - A bit disappointing, as they were good last year, just seemed a bit boring this time around...

DanJennings
06-09-2010, 16:54
right: the condensed version of the last two days at the Moseley Folk Festival:

SATURDAY

Highlights were Spider John Koerner, Goodnight Lenin and Donovan (He really can still cut it, stunning.)

High Llamas didn't seem to want to be there and were plagued by sound problems, but they were still ok.

The Low Anthem were pretty dull, I don't see what the fuss is all about to be honest.

SUNDAY

Martin Simpson was amazing, why he was on at 1:00 in the afternoon is beyond me. But it meant hardly anyone was there so we could get to the front. Definitely a highlight of the festival, if you've never heard him, have a listen. great folk songs, amazing guitar playing.

The Destroyers were as mad and energetic as ever, John Renbourne was excellent, and the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain were great fun (they played eclectic covers inc. Slave To The Rhythm, Silver Machine, Life On Mars, Shaft etc)

The Unthanks again, were pretty dull, but loads of people seemed to like them so maybe it's just me.

all in all though, another great festival.

DanJennings
16-09-2010, 05:56
Went to see Half Man Half Biscuit again last night, brilliant stuff, they played many of my favourites: A Country Practice, Running Order Squabblefest, PRS Yearbook etc...
The end was a real treat too, the band welcomed a special guest to the stage, the one and only Dean Friedman, who played a song questioning Nigel Blackwells parentage 'Tale Of A Baker's Son', and then inevitably sat in and played guitar on the HMHB classic 'The Bastard Son Of Dean Friedman'. fantastic.

campbell mac
16-09-2010, 13:34
Dweezil Zappa at the Echo Arena in Liverpool. Brilliant. The vocalist really captured the original notes even though he was very young. There were quite a few of my old favourites that where played probably better than dad Frank would have done. Covering bands can't allow themselves the same amount of artistic license as the original artist. The Echo arena though wasn't a good venue. The sound echoed around the place too much, a poor acoustic in my opinion. The bar was a joke. I wouldn't go there again to watch a gig.

John
16-09-2010, 18:48
Dweezil a bloody good guitar player

sparrow
16-09-2010, 21:38
Going to get tickets to see the Stranglers for next March..hope Jet Black is still alive then..

Alex_UK
16-09-2010, 21:50
Just got an HMV e-mailshot from their Tickets depot and noticed that tour - sounds like a great night. Doubt I'll go, as although I have a few of their albums which I like, I wouldn't call myself a fan enough - on the basis that there are a lot of other bands I would put at the top of the list if I was to make the effort, which I really should do...

jbloggs
16-09-2010, 22:12
Been quite a while since I've been to a concert, but it was Van Morrison and then after than Bob Dylan came on...Van was pretty much rubbish, apparently it can be hit and miss with him, but Bob Dylan was very good, really enjoyed him...if I remember correctly this double performance was back in the summer of 1998 (yes, has been too long, must maybe remedy that soon)...

mito
17-09-2010, 19:56
The best so far this year is for sure Chris Isaak.
Saw him in Stockholm i June. Great show!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BR1-o8wFng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1tks1ScplQ

Pete The Cat
19-09-2010, 11:37
Skindred's silver lame suited ragga-punk-dance-metal cocktail was engaging and refreshing. We headed straight for the front. Their Welsh Jamaican frontman is a born compere and has a voice superior to most metal vocalists. Riffs aplenty and a mix of influences blend light and shade in their "roots rock riot". They'd have been welcome to another hour if I'd been running the bill :)

We use the term rock AND ROLL for a reason (it needs dynamics, space and fun too) and others would do well to take note.

Pete

Mothman
20-09-2010, 18:27
Saw Sandi Thom at a small venue in Swindon last Friday. No longer on an established label her new independantly produced stuff has a much more bluesey feel to it that really suits her voice which is strong and powerful and means she's great live. I think even my mate who came with me who's strictly punk & new wave enjoyed it, recommended.

Thermionic
07-10-2010, 09:31
The Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra at Chichester Cathedral the weekend before last. Mendleson and Elgar mostly and we managed to get seats about 15 feet away from these guys: very good dynamics.:)

07-10-2010, 13:12
Hi Guys

Last night I went for my first visit to the Sage at Gateshead
Level 42 were playing.

What a great gig. They played mostly their older stuff, which I prefer.
The tour is billed as the 30th anniversary tour.

They still have the tanent and drive and love for their music.
The sound was fantastic. Great deep bass without being overblown, from a small rig, great overall sound, which can happen with Mark King's playing style, especially when you put that with a drummer that can play like hell. The sound from the kit just what I love. Deep kick drum and nice crisp snare. Tight as hell, loved the whole thing.

The original line up were back together, more or less.
A new sax player I think, but what a talent, made it look easy. Which is hard to pull off. Boy did he pull it off, big style

I must compliment the Sage. It's was nice to see a lot of thought had been put into the place, with regard to the sound and acoustics.
well done all.

Andy - SDDW

Rare Bird
09-10-2010, 15:24
Well you'll not see me on here next Thursday evening i've been summoned to John Barrowman concert Sheffield City Hall..The things i do for the other half is beggars belief!

John
09-10-2010, 15:40
All I can say is you a better Man than me
I be seeing Porcupine Tree at the Royal Albert Hall as freebee so could not refuse

slate
09-10-2010, 16:19
The good part - got to see Ultravox in april in Copenhagen on their "Return to eden" tour. Saw Midge 3 years ago but this was much better; a two hour tour de force down memory lane. They still got it.
A bit of sound issues in the beginning, but that was soon corrected.

Otherwise it has been downhill since; didn't get tickets to neither U2 or ACDC i Horsens... nor The Wall in Copenhagen or Herning.... argh:violin::steam:

DanJennings
14-10-2010, 06:17
A couple to tell you about,

I went to see Korn on saturday at Wolverhampton Civic, great performance, great sound, terrible beer!

I saw Bowling For Soup supported by 'A' last night. I mostly went for 'A' to be honest, who were fantastic as ever, my only gripe being that they didn't play for that long, but then again they were a support band...
Bowling for soup were very entertaining, but it begs the question: how can the singer of a band that has been going for 16 years still look and sound like a 12 year old...? There were a lot of very young people at the concert, and it made me feel old.

Alex_UK
14-10-2010, 21:02
@Chris - The Grand Wazoo - are you going? (I'm not, but just wondered if you are, or at least are aware.)

Frank Zappa at the Roundhouse (http://www.hmvtickets.com/events/1749)

EDIT: - Spot the mistake in the concert description!

The Grand Wazoo
14-10-2010, 22:15
Alex,
Thanks for caring!
I did know about it.
No, I'm not going - grrrr!
There are some things happening there that I'd kill to be at, but it can't happen unfortunately. For example, a chance to see Jeff Simmons and Ian Underwood on the same stage. I've a long standing commitment that can't be missed at any cost - not even that one. And it's all happening around my birthday.

MartinT
14-10-2010, 23:24
Judie Tzuke tonight at the Basingstoke Anvil. She still delivers with a voice barely aged from all those years ago when she first appeared and I was just 20. A good mixture of old and new songs with an excellent group and both her daughters providing vocal backing. In fact, Bailey Tzuke provided the support act and she sang superbly, sounding like a cross between Kate Bush and Katie Melua. A wonderful evening which, unusually, left me wanting more.

Rare Bird
14-10-2010, 23:34
Well you'll not see me on here next Thursday evening i've been summoned to John Barrowman concert Sheffield City Hall..The things i do for the other half is beggars belief!

Just got back :lolsign:

John
15-10-2010, 06:34
So Porcupine Tree glad it as a freebie boring gig sound a bit muddy at start but got better left early

DanJennings
16-10-2010, 08:35
Just got back :lolsign:

Did you have fun Andre? :lolsign:

Rare Bird
16-10-2010, 09:25
:lol:

Rare Bird
16-10-2010, 09:33
Just gotta make it thru the Human League on the 1st December :(

Covenant
16-10-2010, 10:24
I am off to see them at Liverpool Philamonic next Tuesday-can't wait :)

MartinT
16-10-2010, 10:34
I am off to see them at Liverpool Philamonic next Tuesday-can't wait :)

...and for me it's next Friday at the Basingstoke Anvil.

Ali Tait
16-10-2010, 11:39
Off to see Robert Plant on Monday in Edinburgh.

YNWaN
16-10-2010, 20:07
I'm looking forward to seeing Laura Marling

Stratmangler
16-10-2010, 20:15
Ozric Tentacles are playing Band On The Wall on Thursday 21st October, if anybody is interested.

DanJennings
17-10-2010, 12:21
I'm off to see Guns N Roses tonight, I hope Axl turns up

The Grand Wazoo
20-10-2010, 00:00
We spent the evening in the company of Jeff Beck tonight. A truly fantastic performance from a really tight band sparking off each other and obviously enjoying the bejeezus out of playing like few bands know.

A great support band too, featuring Trombone Shorty. Beck's encore included a brilliant Sly Stone cover with the brass section honkin' away like a good 'un!

Marco
30-10-2010, 14:39
We're off to see Kate Rusby tonight at the William Aston Hall in Wrexham - out for a Thai curry first, so should be good! :cool:

Marco.

s70rmp
30-10-2010, 14:43
Went to see Guns 'N Roses in Manchester the other week,
Nice man Axl came on stage at 10:40pm and left at 1:15am !

shame he's too fat and old for it anymore !

Next up Gaslight Anthem at the Manchester Apollo in a few weeks.

Mothman
18-11-2010, 20:40
Went to see Gorillaz last night at the NIA in Birmingham, an awful venue with no atmosphere made worse by the fact it was at best only 2/3rds full. Guess the £45 ticket price may have put a few off. Went as a last minute thing with a mate who's a fan and had a spare ticket, not really my cup of Tetley's so hard to give an objective comment. Some stuff I liked, some was OK and some bits not so good. We were seated near the back and so felt a bit out of it and the video screen only showed Gorillaz animations where it would have been better if this had been intercut with projections of the band playing. Plenty of guest artists again some of which worked and some which didn't (Mark E Smith), this included 'De La Soul who also did the warm up which was basicly 45 minutes of three blokes shouting in a hip hop styleee, not my idea of music.

Regards
An Old Fart:lol:

HighFidelityGuy
19-11-2010, 10:33
Went to see Skunk Anansie at O2 Academy Sheffield last night. They put on a great show, very entertaining. They've certainly not lost their edge since they were first around in the 90's. Their set had a good mix of old and new and everything they played went down really well. The atmosphere was great, probably helped my the excellent venue. I've not been to the O2 Academy before but they've done a good job. The band were very gracious and stayed around after the show for a signing session. Even the merchandise was quite well priced. I got their latest CD/DVD signed by the whole band for £10. Overall it was an enjoyable and memerable evening.

Memerable funny moments included the drummer playing over the bassist's solo and getting told off by Skin. The guitarist screwing up his solo and getting told to start it again by Skin and Skin's quote of: "I'm having a great time here tonight Sheffield, especially after they threw out that wanker (refering to an ejected crowd member). Oh sorry, was he your mate. Whatever!. :lol:

Alex_UK
19-11-2010, 22:45
Have to say, Skin scares the bejeezus out of me! Great music though, and sounds like a great gig.

YNWaN
19-11-2010, 23:00
I'm off to see Laura Marling at the lead-mill in Sheffield tomorrow - looking forward to it :).

DanJennings
20-11-2010, 09:09
I'm so excited....
I've got two tickets for Iron Maiden baby!
a band I've never seen but have always been high on my list

http://www.thenia.co.uk/whatson/iron-maiden

1jJVRcCdvyY

Marco
20-11-2010, 10:10
Well it's time for a bit of culture, so we're off to see the BBC National Orchestra of Wales tonight performing, amongst others, Mozart Don Giovanni overture, Schumann Cello Concerto, Mozart Symphony no.29 in A major, and Strauss R Don Juan.

It should be good. I much prefer hearing classical music live than through a hi-fi system, as the visual aspect of the performance, and the influence of the conductor on the orchestra, helps hold my interest more in the music.

Also, in a hi-fi sense, there's nothing to beat listening to acoustic instruments, un-amplified, being played live to use as a benchmark for how instruments actually sound when assessing your system! :)

Marco.

s70rmp
20-11-2010, 11:47
The Gaslight Anthem tonight at the Manchester Apollo

DanJennings
20-11-2010, 11:51
I'm so excited....

1jJVRcCdvyY

oh, just to clarify, I am not a 14 year old girl, I'm going to see Iron Maiden, not Wheatus

Marco
21-11-2010, 08:30
Well the classical concert with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales was fantastic - it's always entertaining (and shocking) to hear the sheer power and intensity of the sound of an orchestra in full flow, particularly when the wind instruments kick in :eek:, and how far away ANY hi-fi system is from being able to reproduce the dynamics required to create a genuinely accurate and realistic rendition of such.....

Oh well, back to the drawing board! :eyebrows:

Marco.

John
21-11-2010, 09:12
Yes the best we can hope for is the illusion of the live music

WAD62
21-11-2010, 10:42
...sometimes it can work the other way round too

Went to see Low on Wednesday @ St Johns Church Coventry (think union chapel on a smaller scale), and had to leave half way through as the sound was so appalling, horrible bass resonance ruined everything, which is strange in a stone building...shame!

Holy Fuck in brum tonight, should be lively

John
21-11-2010, 13:44
Yes been to more gigs with bad sound than good but when its right well just another league

John
21-11-2010, 13:48
I'm so excited....

1jJVRcCdvyY
Saw Maiden before they had a record deal I was about 15 or 16 at the Bandwagon for 50p I think
Boy do I regret not getting the soundhouse tapes then

Barry
21-11-2010, 20:48
Well the classical concert with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales was fantastic - it's always entertaining (and shocking) to hear the sheer power and intensity of the sound of an orchestra in full flow, particularly when the wind instruments kick in :eek:, and how far away ANY hi-fi system is from being able to reproduce the dynamics required to create a genuinely accurate and realistic rendition of such.....

Oh well, back to the drawing board! :eyebrows:

Marco.

How true! A momentary depressing feeling I always have when listening to live, unamplified, music - especially classical.

As you now have had a chance to hear, Decca cartridges go some way to conveying the life, presence and the attack heard at a live concert, whereas the likes of EMT and Ortofons present a different picture, no less convincing - just different. Oh! - in a perfect world we could have both.

Regards

Mothman
23-11-2010, 12:58
Matt Schofield put on a most enjoyable +2hr show at the Bullingdon Arms in Oxford last night. I had previously heard the buzz about Matt on various different forums but had never got round to checking him out until last night. I have to say I was not dissapointed, he is a very gifted guitarist and well worth seeking out for those that like there blues:).

Rare Bird
28-11-2010, 18:24
This Wed coming The Human League Sheff City Hall :(

Things us bloked do for our women :rolleyes:

MartinT
28-11-2010, 20:02
Last night 'Clockwork' at the Wokingham Youth Centre. I was a proud Dad watching my son perform at their EP launch gig. The music is not greatly to my taste (kind of death metal with screaming vocals) and I was probably the oldest person there, but no matter. He plays lead guitar and writes most of the songs.

http://www.play.com/Music/MP3-Download-Album/4-/17798426/The-Veil-EP/Product.html

Alex_UK
28-11-2010, 20:45
Afraid I won't be becoming a fan Martin as I just don't "get" that sort of music but well done to your son for the success so far and good luck with the EP.

John
28-11-2010, 20:47
Matt Schofield put on a most enjoyable +2hr show at the Bullingdon Arms in Oxford last night. I had previously heard the buzz about Matt on various different forums but had never got round to checking him out until last night. I have to say I was not dissapointed, he is a very gifted guitarist and well worth seeking out for those that like there blues:).
Yeah Matt can play

John
28-11-2010, 20:50
Last night 'Clockwork' at the Wokingham Youth Centre. I was a proud Dad watching my son perform at their EP launch gig. The music is not greatly to my taste (kind of death metal with screaming vocals) and I was probably the oldest person there, but no matter. He plays lead guitar and writes most of the songs.

http://www.play.com/Music/MP3-Download-Album/4-/17798426/The-Veil-EP/Product.html

That must be great
I still go to metal gigs with friends and yes also feel my age these days but good to see youngsters still enjoying live music

John

That must be great
I still go to metal gigs with friends and yes also feel my age these days but good to see youngsters still enjoying live music

MCRU
Ludovico Einaudi at Leeds Town Hall, sound system was diabolical, waste of time!

WAD62
30-11-2010, 11:43
The National @ Warwick Arts Centre 25/11, magnificent gig, well worth the wait to see them in such a small venue.

Spear Of Destiny, Rita Lynch, Petrol @ The Fleece Bristol 28/11 (my mate dragged me along), fantastic tiny venue (very CBGBs), support bands were excellent. Petrol, good quality psychobilly/rockabilly (nothing revolutionary there), Rita Lynch, like Patty Smith meets the white stripes, a nice surprise, and finally Spear Of Destiny...well I now realise why I only bought the singles at the time, although they still make a reasonable sound they're 1 saxophonist short of a band...'Liberator' without a saxophone? Nooooo!

The Bunnymen in Brum this coming Saturday, doing Crocodiles & Heaven up Here, my payback for putting up with Kirk and the boys...

Rare Bird
01-12-2010, 17:15
This Wed coming The Human League Sheff City Hall :(

Things us bloked do for our women :rolleyes:

Well thats been cancelled, notice up this afternoon, is she upset or what

DanJennings
05-12-2010, 11:11
I went to see Squeeze (supported by the lightning seeds) last week at Symphony Hall Birmingham. Wow, Glen Tilbrook's voice is AMAZING, (Ian Broudie's isn't)