PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC (VERY early impressions)

PRYML
20-11-2010, 09:45
I've only just (literally!) installed the EE MiniMax in my system, after a quick adjustment to the voltage rating to 240V (initially set to Hong Kong's 230V), and my first impression was a sense of "extreme openess" to the sound even though the sound hasn't really started to flesh out yet! :eek:

Transport duties are by the aging but reliable Marantz CD6000 OSE K.I.Signature, through the coaxial digital connection via a van den Hul D102 Mk.III Hybrid interconnect I had lying around ever since the MAD My Diamond Silver Signature took over... I'm still waiting for the Artisan Silver Cables' Digital Dream digital interconnect to be delivered :rolleyes:

The Phase-in/out toggle brought about discernible differences which (to me, anyway) were more than subtle...

It's way too soon to make any more valid critical comments aside that it somehow sounds most unCD-like... so to sum up with two words I'd hazard to say a very "open & unforced" quality to the sound... and that applies to both the solid-state and tube output, though through the tube output you get a more satisfying "meatier" presentation :)

When away, I'll be playing IsoTek's Full System Enhancer & Rejuvenation Disc to expedite the burn-in process; I'll update you all again in due course ;)

p.s. the first impressions was made through playing the original movie soundtrack of "NARNIA: Prince Caspian" :)

jantheman
20-11-2010, 09:56
hope to hear fom you again once you have a few more hours on it....sounds like fun.....

Mark Grant
20-11-2010, 10:03
Does look good:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/easternelectric/dac.html

Wish it had remote control volume, but looks manual looking at the inside pictures.

PRYML
20-11-2010, 10:15
Does look good:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/easternelectric/dac.html

Wish it had remote control volume, but looks manual looking at the inside pictures.

Here's another ;-)

http://www.audiophilia.com/wp/?p=4804

p.s. If you scroll all the way down to the comments of the review, you'll find that the reviewer actually bought one for himself! :lol:

PRYML
21-11-2010, 07:59
ok... this is kinda odd, as none of the Hi-Fi equipment I've ever owned has ever done this in this house...

Every time I flick the switch for the fluorescent lights in my bathroom, and even the one next door, the DAC loses the signal (indicated by the signal indicator on the front panel) every time the "starter" on the lamp does it's thing. The signal is loss 2 to 3 times as the lamp flickers alight and it's loss once again when the lamp is switched off...

I guess it's about time that I install the IsoTek Aquarius EVO3 mains power conditioner that I was initially planning to get at a later date :lol:

So far, as the DAC burns in, I'm starting to favour the solid-state output over the tube output; still using the stock 12AU7 that came with the DAC. Even though the stock tubes impart a more "substantial" presentation, I can't help but feel that some ambient information is being veiled and the DAC does pick up a lot of ambient information if the solid-state output is to be believed....

Too much of a "good thing" perhaps, or just that the stock tube hasn't had enough time to properly burn-in? The pre-amp section of my hybrid amp is also equipped with a couple of tubes... They're 12AU7 by Electro Harmonix... When I can, I try to stick to current production tubes as opposed to using ever more depleting stocks of NOS tubes (and the prices to match the scarcity), though I do possess a few NOS Siemens, Mullards and a pair of cryogenically treated tubes (which has long since bit the dust) which I couldn't resist getting :rolleyes:

Ali Tait
21-11-2010, 09:00
A bit of rolling might change your view of the valve output stage. Always worth trying imo.

PRYML
22-11-2010, 18:18
You're absolutely right Ali! :youtheman:

Any hint of veiling I perceived earlier was banished by popping in a NOS Siemens E88CC/6922 :eyebrows:

The stock tube I popped out is printed with "EASTERN ELECTRIC Premium Grade 12AU7 ECC82", so I'm basically clueless as to who the actual manufacturer is :scratch:

Time to wait again for the brand new tube to burn-in, before I begin any critical evaluation :lol:

PRYML
22-11-2010, 18:32
I just noticed that the Siemens tube runs significantly hotter than the stock tube. I wonder if it's a compatibility issue... or is this just a characteristic of NOS Siemens :scratch:

As I understand it, heat reduces the productive life of a tube... but I must admit, the gains in clarity to the sound is significant :rolleyes:

Reid Malenfant
22-11-2010, 18:39
I wonder if it's a compatibility issue...
I know next to nothing about tubes, but it's quite possible that they may well run on slightly different heater voltages. If it's set for the original tube it might be a bit high for this?

No idea, i'm sure someone will be along to fill you in though :)

Ali Tait
22-11-2010, 19:05
ECC88 and ECC82 are not interchangeable. Change it for an 82 or equivalent.82 runs a plate voltage of up to 300v,the 88 only to 130v or so. No wonder it's running hot. Take it out pronto! They are not pin compatible either.

Reid Malenfant
22-11-2010, 19:16
ECC88 and ECC82 are not interchangeable. Change it for an 82 or equivalent.82 runs a plate voltage of up to 300v,the 88 only to 130v or so. No wonder it's running hot. Take it out pronto! They are not pin compatible either.
As if by magic the shop keeper appears :eyebrows: I knew someone would be along that knows what they are talking about :)

It's a pity a good friend of mine doesn't listen as he'll soon be facing a huge repair bill :rolleyes: His KSA250 is running miles too hot & suffering from thermal runaway. I'd expect thermal stability inside of a few hours, this one just kept getting hotter & just before i left there was no way you could keep your hands on the heatsinks for more than a second.. Must have been 60C+ so the transistors must be getting on for 80C+ or more :eek:

It's soon going to go bye bye. I did bring this up but all i got in response was "it's a Krell, it's what they do"... I rest my case :mental:

Ali Tait
22-11-2010, 19:25
You can't tell some folk.Let him learn his own lesson.

Reid Malenfant
22-11-2010, 19:30
You can't tell some folk.Let him learn his own lesson.
Indeed, well he just payed £1750 for it, i'd hazard a guess & say that when it pops (most likely at start up) that the repair will cost more than the amp did & he'll have to get it to London first just to add insult to injury :rolleyes:

I made my case & said my bit, like you say Ali, some folks just don't want to listen to good advice :doh:

Ali Tait
22-11-2010, 20:05
If it's not a valve it shouldn't run too hot to touch!

Reid Malenfant
22-11-2010, 20:17
If it's not a valve it shouldn't run too hot to touch!
Exactly :doh: The heatsinks were too hot :rolleyes: Well like i say, i said my bit.. If he's not prepared to listen it looks like i'll be getting spares for mine sooner or later :eyebrows:

lurcher
23-11-2010, 00:07
A good rule of thumb, a 50C heatsink is just cool enough to press your hand against, but you will decide to remove it withing 10 sec or so.

Ali Tait
23-11-2010, 10:57
Yes,the A370 ran at about that.

Reid Malenfant
23-11-2010, 20:50
A good rule of thumb, a 50C heatsink is just cool enough to press your hand against, but you will decide to remove it withing 10 sec or so.
Agreed, a 25C temperature rise above ambient is ok :) The KSA was probably about that kind of temperature when i got there (7PM) & it had been on for 6 hours apparently. But just before i left (1AM) it was impossible to touch the heatsinks for more than a half second as it was just about burning it was that hot :mental: It wasn't being driven hard, damn it wasn't even getting out of the class A region (28W RMS 8ohm) but it just kept getting hotter.

Maybe my 60C+ estimate was too low, all i know is it isn't long for this earth :( Not at those temperatures anyway...

The output transistors will fail sooner than later due to fatigue from heating & cooling to such ridiculous temperatures.

lurcher
23-11-2010, 22:44
Yep, it will boil its caps as well.

PRYML
24-11-2010, 10:41

Thanks for the heads up Ali... I only just realised that I got tubes mixed up with those I saved for use in my Assemblage pre-amp! :doh:

I'm currently abroad now and will rectify the situation tomorrow when I return home. Having said that, the DAC was kept running pretty hot for at least a couple of hours before I turned it off :(

hornucopia
24-11-2010, 10:56
If I hadn't chosen MHDT Havana (after initial Paradisea) I'd have gone for these. Nice to have handcrafted stuff!

lurcher
24-11-2010, 11:29
I have been trying to second guess the effect of using a 88 instead of a 82. As Ali says the anode voltage will be too high, so anode current will be high, but if its cathode bias as it probably will be in a phono then it should be ok. In fact the 82 may well be a cathode follower so that should not to be too bad. But the only way I can see the valve heater lighting up for both valves is if the 82 used 12v heaters (between pin 4 and 5), so the 88 will have been running with 12v on its heaters, which would explain why it was hot. Hopefully the heater supply will current limit so its getting a bit less than the full 12v.

Hopefully if there is any casualty, it will be the 88.

Marco
24-11-2010, 11:40
Anthony TD's views on this subject may be useful :)

Marco.

anthonyTD
24-11-2010, 11:57
hi all,

as lurcher [nick] has already stated ECC81,2,3 are all primarily 12v [pin 4,5] heater twin triodes, but they can be run on 6v as they have a
centre tap heater which when connected this way you would normaly join pins 4,5 together and use them in conjunction with pin 9. ECC88 is a fixed heater type of 6v between pins 4,5 so cannot be used in the same configuration as ECC82!

also maximum plate voltages for the ECC81,2,3 is around 300v, ECC88 has a maximum of around 130v but is normaly run around 90v in most circuits.
i hope this helps.:)
Anthony,TD...

PRYML
24-11-2010, 15:03
I have been trying to second guess the effect of using a 88 instead of a 82. As Ali says the anode voltage will be too high, so anode current will be high, but if its cathode bias as it probably will be in a phono then it should be ok. In fact the 82 may well be a cathode follower so that should not to be too bad. But the only way I can see the valve heater lighting up for both valves is if the 82 used 12v heaters (between pin 4 and 5), so the 88 will have been running with 12v on its heaters, which would explain why it was hot. Hopefully the heater supply will current limit so its getting a bit less than the full 12v.

Hopefully if there is any casualty, it will be the 88.

In hindsight, the sound did become "cleaner" when I used the 88; however that was it.... it didn't get any better, not actually more "clearer" or "transparent" to the recording... let alone more musical...

PRYML
24-11-2010, 15:16
hi all,

as lurcher [nick] has already stated ECC81,2,3 are all primarily 12v [pin 4,5] heater twin triodes, but they can be run on 6v as they have a
centre tap heater which when connected this way you would normaly join pins 4,5 together and use them in conjunction with pin 9. ECC88 is a fixed heater type of 6v between pins 4,5 so cannot be used in the same configuration as ECC82!

also maximum plate voltages for the ECC81,2,3 is around 300v, ECC88 has a maximum of around 130v but is normaly run around 90v in most circuits.
i hope this helps.:)
Anthony,TD...

Thanks for the clarification... I should really pay more attention to what was printed on the tube :rolleyes:

PRYML
25-11-2010, 18:57
Back home after a few days abroad... and I've just replaced the incompatible Siemens E88CC/6922 with a compatible favourite Pearl CryoValve that I've had forever (to the point that I no longer remember which NOS vintage they are :lol: ) and the sounds emanating from my system are absolutely sublime.... dripping with atmosphere and bristling with detail in a totally natural unforced fluid flow (dare I say analogue?)... a match made in Hi-Fi Heaven! :harp:

It's come to a point where I'm now considering getting a brand new NOS Pearl CryoValve (Gold Grade/Plus) as the current one (originally Ultra-Low Noise Grade) has seen many years of wear and tear in it's earlier installation in a pre-amp that I'm no longer using... :cool:

p.s. While I take the time to consider spending more money than I normally would on a single valve, I'll continue exploring other compatible valves in my humble collection ;)

Ali Tait
25-11-2010, 20:20
Mullard M8136 or CV4003 would be good choices.Langrex here in the UK sell them.

PRYML
02-12-2010, 16:55
Hi Ali,

As it so happens, I do have a Mullard CV4003 on hand and at your suggestion, did install it in the DAC. However, after a couple of unmusical days, I re-installed the Pearl CryoValve to regain the lost sense of transparency, "air", sweetness, PRAT and dynamic range/impact, that I was enjoying before... :)

While playing J.S.Bach's Orchestral Suites through the Mullard, it sounded as if the music came in as a single mass emanating from a distance, where the strings which normally took center-stage seemed overwhelmed by the accompanying instruments and I wasn't able to appreciate the inter-play between the performers etc.

Having said that, I only noticed the full measure of what I was missing after re-installing the Pearl CryoValve. Before then, I felt that there was a distinct reduction in signal gain, size of the soundstage, separation between the instruments (smearing of sound?) and the music flowed in a very sedate manner (so laid-back that it almost sounded lazy! :lol: ), in comparison to the Pearl CryoValve it replaced.

The only time where I truly appreciated the Mullard was when I playing the Solitudes' Natural Sleep Inducement CD (yep, insomniac at large here :o) as the Mullard presented it in such a way as to only be perceivable by the periphery of my Consciousness; unlike the the CryoValve which has a tendency to make me sit up and listen to everything going on in the recording...

I've recently obtained french NOS valves from Mazda (military-spec Cifte with the dual flags printed on the tube and carefully packed with paper damping etc) and another with the Mazda Radio label on the box without any sort of protective packing and no dual flags printed anywhere :) I'll try them out in due time as I've yet to install the Artisan Digital Dream digital IC and another silver IC which has been waiting for me at the postal parcel centre. Apparently, they arrived a month earlier :rolleyes: but I never got the first notification and was only recently made aware when the second notification arrived to warn me that my order will be sent back to the sender if they're not collected :lol:

I'll be continuing with more tube-rolling once the new ICs have been properly burnt in (which may take awhile as I'm often abroad) ;)

Ali Tait
02-12-2010, 18:08
I guess the Mullard may be tired.I've found them very good in the past. How's the dac sound now you've got a few hours on it?

PRYML
03-12-2010, 07:08
The Mullard used is New Old Stock. So that might be a contributing factor to it's lack-lustre performance. I've read somewhere that even vacuum tubes needs some time to burn-in as well, though I'm clueless as to how much burn-in time is needed for optimal sound :scratch:

The initial sense of openess to the sound has been retained and it's been satisfyingly fatigue-free to listen to, in spite of the very good detail on offer. Past experience with CD has given me the impression that the "emphasis" on detail tends to be associated with listening-fatigue. I'm assuming that the "unforced" manner in which the EE DAC presents the detail has a lot to do with it's listenability :)

Having said that, I believe that the tube used in the DAC may make or break the sound. And rather than use an unsuitable tube, I would to stick with the solid-state output which is actually pretty good once a significant amount of burn-in has transpired... ;)

PRYML
03-12-2010, 17:40
...the solid-state output which is actually pretty good once a significant amount of burn-in has transpired... ;)

In fact, for some recordings, where "RAWness" is a critical element to the music, I actually prefer it over the tube output! :)

I'm beginning to see the many dimensions of the DAC's music making; solid-state/retrofit-friendly tube output, phase-inversion, power cable retrofit etc i.e. highly customisable/versatile, to suit individual tastes... ;)

My only possible reservation is the transparency of the pre-amp section (both onboard and outboard); not that the current quality has interfered with my overall enjoyment of the music at all ;) I'm just wondering how much better the sound quality would be, if the DAC was directly connected to a power amp instead of the added "obstacle" of the triode pre-amp section of my hybrid amp etc :eek:

It's no wonder that John Westlake has chosen the same ESS Sabre 9018 DAC module to be implemented in his current Audiolab project for IAG! In fact his upcoming DAC only unit should be sub-GBP500 range. CD has really come a long way at this price range; more so for me (value-wise) having acquired my unit from HK. I believe it's similarly priced in the US :eyebrows:

p.s. I'd be very interested to hear from other owners of the Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC on this forum (are you out there?); see what tweaks they're able to implement to eke out the very last ounce of musicality out of the DAC, short of opening it up to remove the pre-amp section :lol:

Lee Henley
26-12-2010, 11:11
Ive got one installed on the mac, Ive done no tube rolling as of yet but was wondering if any other people on here had one installed on a mac and what method they were using

USB
Optical
SPDIF via a converter

From the mini tests Ive done so far I prefer the USB method of connecting all beit there aint that much in it to be fair, for the spdif I use a hiface, has anyone else tried this method or an alternative, be interested to hear from you.

Lee

PRYML
09-01-2011, 00:25
Hmmm... after reading...

http://www.stereomojo.com/Eastern%20Electric%20MiniMax%20DAC%20Review/EasternElectricMiniMaxDACReview.htm

... I'm tempted to get a dedicated CD transport to mate the EE DAC with...

Any suitable candidate to suggest?

PRYML
11-01-2011, 15:56
I recently had a query by a fellow forum member, who was fortunate enough to purchase his EEA DAC in Hong Kong (where it's much cheaper than the UK), as to how to change the voltage to comply with UK standards (or the US for that matter)... :)

So I've taken the liberty to "paste" a portion of my email correspondence with Alex (the designer) as a guide ;)

"The unit that you picked up at Hit Audio should have been set up for 230V. The DAC is however switchable to 240V which is much ideal for your country. If you open the top cover, you will see a plastic jumper box nearly by the IEC with label clearly indicated 3 different voltages namely 120V, 230V and 240V. You can simply open the plastic cover of the jumper and connect the wire to the 240V position. Please note that there is an arrow, on the plastic cover, which should be pointing to the front of the DAC."

macnugget
11-01-2011, 21:26
Hi Malek

I found this AES/EBU to RCA cable today (http://www.awdiy.com/index.php?page=75-110-ohms-digital-cable) and I think this might give us better performance over the coaxial out from the dac. It does make sense to me. What do you think?

BTW, I was so enjoyed with the music through the EEDac using the coax out and haven't had a chance to try the USB yet. What was your thought on the USB?

I also found this review (http://www.headphonista.com/eastern-electric-tube-dac/) yesterday and thought you might be interested if you haven't already seen it yet.

My experience with the dac so far (only two days) has been amazing. The sound is defintely more 3D and my wife said it has more depth and she said it before I could find any word for it.

I was going to get the Young dac initially but decided to go for the EE instead and I am so glad I went down this route and am very happy with my purchase.

What I also like to point out is that the EEDac is not just a dac, it has got a valve buffer and this will also sort out any impedance mismatch in most systems and hence gives you the good sound with good system matching. I think a lot of reviewers didn't take this into account when they reviewing the dac.

I bought an Amperex ECC82 for tube rolling later on as this was recommended to me by the Hong Kong dealer (a high end tube gear specialist) as the best valve for this dac, they'd also recommended RCA as the second best.

I shall report my findings later.

hifinutt
11-01-2011, 21:32
today i got one of these dacs in my system , only a week old so needs lots of running in . what does the phase button do? what setting should it be on.

i normally use a weiss dac2 [the same dac in the 6 moons review] which is very very transparent, crisp and dynamic. my initial comparison is the minimax is not as transparent as the weiss but we shall see.

Reid Malenfant
11-01-2011, 21:41
what does the phase button do? what setting should it be on.
Strangely it reverses the phase, IE makes it 180 degrees out of phase compared to normal. This can be useful as you might have a pre amp or power amp that is inverting, if so then set it to 180 degrees or out of phase. If not then leave it on 0 (or normal).

The thing to do is investigate what either your pre amp, power amp or integrated does. At the end of the day though not too many people can detect out of phase signals. As long as both speakers are wired up correctly as in "in phase" that is, it's difficult to detect a phase reversal on both channels ;)

hifinutt
11-01-2011, 22:08
Hmmm... after reading...

http://www.stereomojo.com/Eastern%20Electric%20MiniMax%20DAC%20Review/EasternElectricMiniMaxDACReview.htm

... I'm tempted to get a dedicated CD transport to mate the EE DAC with...

Any suitable candidate to suggest?

bel canto cd2 , cracking transport , built like a tank and sounds fab

hifinutt
11-01-2011, 22:09
Strangely it reverses the phase, IE makes it 180 degrees out of phase compared to normal. This can be useful as you might have a pre amp or power amp that is inverting, if so then set it to 180 degrees or out of phase. If not then leave it on 0 (or normal).

The thing to do is investigate what either your pre amp, power amp or integrated does. At the end of the day though not too many people can detect out of phase signals. As long as both speakers are wired up correctly as in "in phase" that is, it's difficult to detect a phase reversal on both channels ;)

thanks mark

Ali Tait
11-01-2011, 22:13
Some recordings are out of phase,so the switch can be useful for those too.

PRYML
12-01-2011, 01:10
Hi Malek

I found this AES/EBU to RCA cable today (http://www.awdiy.com/index.php?page=75-110-ohms-digital-cable) and I think this might give us better performance over the coaxial out from the dac. It does make sense to me. What do you think?

BTW, I was so enjoyed with the music through the EEDac using the coax out and haven't had a chance to try the USB yet. What was your thought on the USB?

Hmmm... I'm not DIY-competent as such but I suspect that, unless proper care is taken, there might be an electrical mismatch issue that will affect the integrity of the digital signal at the receiving end. Can anyone more competent enlighten us? :scratch:

As for the USB connection, I haven't even considered using it yet as I'm pretty old school and only just started to venture into computer audio. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of getting an Apple iPOD Classic to dock with an Onkyo ND-S1 digital transport; and even then, will still use the coaxial input of the DAC until I get a suitable glass-based optical cable for use with the optical input so I don't need to keep on reconnecting between sources to use the sole coaxial input :lol:

PRYML
12-01-2011, 01:48
bel canto cd2 , cracking transport , built like a tank and sounds fab

I really like the fact that it's a top-loader with no sliding tray to break down and a multitude of digital outputs but put off by the inclusion of an onboard DAC which obviously adds to the cost; not to mention a "noisier" internal/external environment due to additional EM radiation from the DAC section :rolleyes:

StanleyB
12-01-2011, 08:06
I really like the fact that it's a top-loader with no sliding tray to break down and a multitude of digital outputs but put off by the inclusion of an onboard DAC which obviously adds to the cost; not to mention a "noisier" internal/external environment due to additional EM radiation from the DAC section :rolleyes:
Just about every CD player has an onboard DAC.
And if the CDP conforms to CE and EMC ( a requirement before it can be sold legally in the EU) then EM radiation should be non-existent in the DAC section.

PRYML
12-01-2011, 15:07
Thanks for the clarification Stanley :)

Then I assume all units would be EU compliant in my part of the world as well; I'll see if my local dealer can give me a good deal on one :eyebrows:

PRYML
12-01-2011, 20:02

here's another option... :)

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40_3&products_id=184

but it's for the BNC input on the DAC; that took Mark one year to develop! So, as I earlier suspected, it's not as simple as just replacing the termination to fit the input :rolleyes:

Do share how your DIY experiment goes though ;)

macnugget
12-01-2011, 23:13
Ahh! This cable does look good and I think I might try one first and see if it sounds good.

Thanks for that.

Stephen

PRYML
14-01-2011, 03:42
Ahh! This cable does look good and I think I might try one first and see if it sounds good.

Thanks for that.

Stephen

Should've been...

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40_3&products_id=182

phono to BNC; instead of BNC to phono :doh:

hifinutt
20-01-2011, 19:22
been running the ee dac alongside the weiss dac2 flicking between the two

extremely good dacs , very similar , the weiss just pips it with more resolving power and funnily enough since i put a isotek syncro [dc blocker] on the mains conditioner the weiss has had much more seismic bass than the ee dac

brillinat value for money

macnugget
20-01-2011, 19:54
been running the ee dac alongside the weiss dac2 flicking between the two

extremely good dacs , very similar , the weiss just pips it with more resolving power and funnily enough since i put a isotek syncro [dc blocker] on the mains conditioner the weiss has had much more seismic bass than the ee dac

brillinat value for money

Hi
Thanks for your feedback. Are you comparing them using the coaxial output or USB? What would you rate them out of a 100 then?

PRYML
06-05-2011, 07:02
... and I've just replaced the incompatible Siemens E88CC/6922 with a compatible favourite Pearl CryoValve that I've had forever (to the point that I no longer remember which NOS vintage they are :lol: )

It's a Mullard Pearl CryoValve! :eek:

Found the packaging during my regular ritual of looking for something and finding something else instead :lol:

Yoga
06-05-2011, 12:19
Out of interest, where did you source one of these from, and for how much? :¬)

PRYML
06-05-2011, 18:15
Out of interest, where did you source one of these from, and for how much? :¬)

I got it around 15 years ago from a HiFi dealer in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; vaguely remember paying around 200 Malaysian Ringgit for it then :)

Yoga
06-05-2011, 20:22
I got it around 15 years ago from a HiFi dealer in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; vaguely remember paying around 200 Malaysian Ringgit for it then :)

Nice!

Yoga
25-05-2011, 11:33
Malek, where did you source the DAC? I'm very tempted by one of these.

PRYML
25-05-2011, 17:15
Got it from www.hitaudio.com for HKD5200, during last year's High End Audio Visual Show ;)

Yoga
31-05-2011, 23:09
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110689851442#ht_1906wt_995

£612. Quite tempted by one of these along with a Matrix M-Stage headphone amp (rather than the Burson HA-160D).

Hmmmmmmm :¬)

Spur07
01-06-2011, 07:53
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110689851442#ht_1906wt_995

£612. Quite tempted by one of these along with a Matrix M-Stage headphone amp (rather than the Burson HA-160D).

Hmmmmmmm :¬)

Yeah, I thought about one of these to. I've got a mate in the US who could bring it over to me keeping the costs considerably lower. Its certainly tempting. The Audiolab MDAC will be out in the summer though.

Yoga
01-06-2011, 08:03
Yeah, I thought about one of these to. I've got a mate in the US who could bring it over to me keeping the costs considerably lower. Its certainly tempting. The Audiolab MDAC will be out in the summer though.

There will be a version 2 (Minimax) this summer also...

Sabre ES9018
Italian M2Tech A Sync technology
Separate power transformers for digital and analog
High frequency relays/resistor input selection
improved PSU
improved tube output stage
improved 24/96 and 24/192KHz playing
volume pot removed
socketed opamps
tube/ss output selection

What's good about the Audiolab MDAC? Rough cost too? :¬)

I'm tempted to buy a Fiio E7 and use that for a couple of months while these new DACs arrive.

Spur07
01-06-2011, 09:27
There will be a version 2 (Minimax) this summer also...

What's good about the Audiolab MDAC? Rough cost too? :¬)

I'm tempted to buy a Fiio E7 and use that for a couple of months while these new DACs arrive.

Yeah, I guess the new minimax will this time be able to play 24 bit via USB.

I heard the Audiolab CDQ last year at Bartletts and was very impressed. I'm hoping the MDAC will be priced around the £399 mark which should make it very good value. I noticed last night in another thread Jerry has recently compared his Mtech Yound dac to a friends CDQ so maybe he will enlighten us further. Reading his post I wasn't sure which he preferred although I'd imagine it was the Young. I think the Young comes in at around £600 though?

Yoga
01-06-2011, 09:43
Yeah, I guess the new minimax will this time be able to play 24 bit via USB.

I heard the Audiolab CDQ last year at Bartletts and was very impressed. I'm hoping the MDAC will be priced around the £399 mark which should make it very good value. I noticed last night in another thread Jerry has recently compared his Mtech Yound dac to a friends CDQ so maybe he will enlighten us further. Reading his post I wasn't sure which he preferred although I'd imagine it was the Young. I think the Young comes in at around £600 though?

Yeah £675 for the Young iirc. Would like to hear it compared to the Rega.

So many DACs, so little time :¬)

Spur07
01-06-2011, 11:28
Indeed. I've heard good things about the Rega also.

getting them all together in one place wouldn't be easy :)

PRYML
09-07-2011, 05:15
http://www.digitalaudionews.net.au/2011/06/18/eastern-electric-announce-minimax-dac/

presumably better but dearer...

Not sure if I'll be "upgrading" just yet though :)

Yoga
09-07-2011, 10:52
http://www.digitalaudionews.net.au/2011/06/18/eastern-electric-announce-minimax-dac/

presumably better but dearer...

Not sure if I'll be "upgrading" just yet though :)

Considering the global praise the MKI got, you won't need to. For a long while!

PRYML
09-07-2011, 14:16
I still think the MK.1's built-in pre-amp a significant weak link though :rolleyes:

Had they done away with it, (in all likelyhood) it would've sounded better and cost less; resulting in staggering value for money sound-wise :eyebrows:

PRYML
12-07-2011, 06:28
I noticed that users on another forum are "rolling" OpAmps in the Mk.I and the DAC Plus is to be released with "socketed" OpAmps...

Does that mean the OpAmps in the upcoming model can be manually plugged in/unplugged for installation of alternatives? :scratch:

Yoga
12-07-2011, 09:04
Yep :¬)

There's a huge thread on HeadFi about MKI tube and opamp rolling, some great info if you're interested.

PRYML
22-07-2011, 09:04
I guess the Mullard may be tired.I've found them very good in the past. How's the dac sound now you've got a few hours on it?

The tube-rolling bug bit again and after going through several forums, I decided to give the MULLARD CV4003 (KQDD/K is also printed on the plain white box) another chance, as there are a few posts that recommend a significant burn-in period.

So I set the second track of Isotek's Full System Enhancer/Rejuvenation CD running on repeat overnight and the sound started to open up and progressively got better as I played more music through it :)

They weren't kidding about the NOS reference, considering the lengthy burn-in period :lol:

It sounded so promising that I placed an order for the Cryo Valve version from UK's Watford Valves, even as it continues to burn in :eyebrows:

It'll be a long wait though as, according to their website, all orders can only be processed next month; maybe they're off on holiday :)