PDA

View Full Version : The big mile stone is in the rear veiw mirror!

goraman
17-11-2010, 04:21
Some months back I started on a quest to simplify my audio needs.

Moveing from a very respectable anologe system to a stricktly digital solution.
Giveing up a fantastic turntable,phono stage,reel to reel and a very nice CDP and a huge record collection takeing the left liveing room wall and CD's takeing the right side.

I got the ATV modded to a very respectable 500gig music server,had to install a 650 gig hard drive in my computer and load tons of CD's into the latest down load of I tunes . I went with Apple Lossless encode.

It really dose sound fantastic and after the headachs of my new DAC haveing a defect, My computer issues ect... It was all worth it!

Now all I need to do is sell all my LP's and replace around 400 of them with CD's rip them to lossless and sell my rack full of gear.

I feel like the worst is behind me,but I get a sick feeling after putting so much time and loads of money in my TT and phono stage, and all the runs to find clean records and buy limited pressings.
I know it's only stuff,and stuff that takes the whole liveing room but I think I'll feel better haveing more room for my son to play and not haveing to say "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"

The sooner I do this the better I'll be,I think...

chris@panteg
17-11-2010, 10:41
It seems a shame to sell all your record's though , maybe one day you will want to play them again ? still if your sure .

Marco
17-11-2010, 10:51
Indeed.... I totally understand why you're doing this, Jeff (perhaps a bit of pressure too from your good lady?), and of course the early years bonding with your little boy are priceless.

However, spare a thought for the future when he's grown up (as you know, it happens all too quickly!) and doing his own thing, and you no longer have the music you loved to play on vinyl - trust me, you *will* regret it.............

So, by all means sell your gear, as it can easily be replaced with something else later, but at all costs try and keep your records.

Is there nowhere they can be stored safely for a few years, perhaps by giving them to a friend or member of your family to look after?

Marco.

Welder
17-11-2010, 11:48
”However, spare a thought for the future when he's grown up (as you know it happens all too quickly!) and doing his own thing, and you no longer have the music you loved to play on vinyl - trust me, you *will* regret it..........”

Nah, you won’t Jeff :)

Oh sorry Marco didn’t see you there desperately trying to hold back the onslaught of progress. :lolsign:

Jeff unless you had an exceptional vinyl system I doubt very much if you’ll find yourself longing for the audio qualities of vinyl :rolleyes:
More seriously, Marco may have a point about hanging on to some records but only hang on to the records that you don’t believe you will be able to replace with CD or file.
The probability is any vinyl you buy recorded in the last decade and in the future will have been digitally recorded anyway. You will have exactly the same information on vinyl as there is on CD or download.

The vinyl guys will it seems will always give you that understanding pat on the back and talk about convenience and family pressures, the implication being that such pressures mean you will somehow have a second rate system while “real life” takes it toll on the faithful :mental:

Don’t buy it mate; it’s complete bollocks. Real life won’t stop when your children grow up, the little buggers go and breed another lot and it all kicks off again :eek:
Don’t buy the second rate system bit either; audio from a decent file based system already equals the audio from any other format per pound spent imo and it’s likely to improve while vinyl isn’t.

(spose I’m banned now Marco :rolleyes:)

chris@panteg
17-11-2010, 12:08
Hey John

Where did that come from :scratch: i just think why throw all your eggs in one basket ? storing all your music on hard drive is fine so long as 100% stable and not likely to self distruct .

As for how good it is ' i'm still not that blown away even by a linn DS i heard at scalford.

I'm not saying anyone should just listen to Vinyl and damn everything else , i like to have a variety of sources for my music , but if vinyl becomes inpractical then set it aside for a few years .

But its no big deal really .

Marco
17-11-2010, 12:42
Lol - John, what are you like! :eyebrows:

All I'll say is that you're entitled to your opinion, as am I to mine. I certainly don't want this thread turning into another tedious and completely pointless vinyl vs. CD or streaming debate.

Your outburst, though, did rather sound like you have some sort of axe to grind, so please put your axe away, old chap, as it's not needed ;)

Jeff, the decision is yours, but remember this: if you're anything like me, your favourite records and their covers and sleeves are as much about personal memories precious to you as they are about the music on them - the latter could perhaps be replaced by the use of modern technology, but the former most certainly not......

Marco.

goraman
17-11-2010, 12:46
Thanks guys,
Jhon, I was shocked at just how good it sounded and yes I have a very good vinyl rig.
What you say is true about newer lps most made after 85 are digitaly recorded.
I just think change is hard, and scary for most people includeing me.
I do have my music on 3 hard drives so i'm pretty sure they won't all go out at once.

I just feel alittle weird about getting rid of something,I used to gaurd so carfully,and spent so much time on.

goraman
17-11-2010, 12:48
Marco, your point is well taken,I think it dose boil down to memorys.

Marco
17-11-2010, 12:54
Indeed. My advice is ultimately to stay true to what makes you tick as a human being. Memories can't be stored on a hard drive, and so this goes beyond music.

You said it yourself earlier, my friend:

I just feel alittle weird about getting rid of something,I used to gaurd so carfully,and spent so much time on.

Hold onto that thought. If you let it go and 'do the deed', as it were, it'll only return to haunt you in future.

The decision though is yours :)

Marco.

Welder
17-11-2010, 12:59
(Hmm, did that come over a bit strong :()

Right, my apologies everyone if the tone was off.
I’ve had a similar debate with a mate of mine recently who is an “only vinyl is the true path to audio nirvana” advocate. Some of the “enthusiasm” from that debate probably leaked into my post :doh:

I’m just a little pissed off with what can come over as a rather patronizing attitude by some vinyl enthusiasts (my friends stance in the debate) that “real life” somehow means those of us who transfer to file based audio have lost our hearing as well as our independence to make rational decisions concerning a decent sounding system.

Yes, there is nothing wrong with hanging on to records if Jeff believes that at some point he may wish to return to a vinyl replay system. Personally I didn’t bother, but my vinyl system wasn’t anything particularly special. Any records that I believed may be hard to replace I recorded to tape.

Anyway, further apologies, aff, you know what I’m like. Put it down to old age :rolleyes:

Ohh arr Chris, I’m not sure a Linn DS system is the pinnacle of file based audio but perhaps more on that another time :cool: