PDA

View Full Version : Denon DL-160

colinB
16-11-2010, 09:03
Ive read a lot about this cartridge and how it sounds good on a Technics but is it a bad compromise running it through a MM input?

ourdogmax
16-11-2010, 10:00
Not at all, it can sound amazing.
I used one for a while, before moving to low output mc, I'm still not sure lomc
is really that much better, if at all.

chris@panteg
16-11-2010, 10:38
Hi Colin

I have been running a DL160 for 2 years now ' a nice cartridge for the £73 i paid in fact a bargain ' now its £143-150 i'm not so sure its so good at that price .

I've experimented with loading using 1st a 640p and latterly a Trichord diablo !
tried it into 100 ohm mc input on both ' also tried 1k which sounds interesting but still come back to 47k mm input , as in all cases using an mc input and loading tightens up the sound but also kills the life of this cartridge.

I've come across some user's who feel that 6-7k sounds just right and some say even 22k .

I myself feel ' well i had it for 2 years ' its a good performer but i want something better , and its time to move on .

Its main strength for me is how well it performs in the stock techie arm , a real surprise , if you go for one , use it with a phono stage with around 46-48db gain into the MM input and by all means experiment like i did !

If you find the results different to mine ' i would love to read about it:)

colinB
16-11-2010, 11:03
Thanks for the interesting replys. My mm input is 47k.
I cant believe the price diff in 2 years. Ive seen it 2nd hand boxed on e bay for £105, thats why im interested. A lot of praise for the cart on the stock technics arm but thats a light arm compared with the 18gm jelco.

I always said i would upgrade my ortofon 2m blue to the black when the time came, but the cheapest i can find it is £300 from musonic. Thats enough money to spoil my xmas.
My system sounds sibilant and ive tried everything. Cartridge replacement seems the only option, even though the Blue is only 1 year old.

chris@panteg
16-11-2010, 11:17
Colin ' the DL160 does not suffer from sibilance , and i need to add i used a Sumiko Headshell with mine in the Techie arm!.

Its a tricky one , i'm still thinking of trying a nagaoka :hmm: maybe even the MP110 but am looking also at the MP150 and 200, its just if i got the £75 110 ' i end up liking it :) then wish i had got the 200 with boron cantilever:scratch

Not sure what to suggest Colin , my gut feeling is to go for the 200 Nag ' i think it might be bloody amazing:):)

colinB
16-11-2010, 11:37
I was watching a Nagaoka mp40 on e bay. The guy said he had it inspected and there was no wear. One tightning bolt was missing from the stylus assembly. It was one of those risky buys that i couldnt make up my mind.
Went for £70 in the end:doh:

DSJR
16-11-2010, 17:27
Colin, what's your system please?

Whatever I say about over-pricing of Ortofons, their cartridges shouldn't sound sibilant. A bit raw on the cheaper ones certainly (OM10 once described as nice but noisy, as in surface noise), but never sssssibilant..

Dalek Supreme Neil has been using a Concord OM Pro on his stock Techie I believe and found it civilised and much better than he expected - he normally uses turntable systems ten times the price or more... maybe he'll chip in and add to the discussion..

colinB
16-11-2010, 18:02
Hi Dave, i have a jelco 250st on my technics , good cables going into a Icon Audio phono and Rotel 1062 for power.
The ortofon has always picked up record noise but the sibilance is a recent thing and the cart has 300hrs max. I set it up using a Mint protractor made specially for the jelco.

colinB
16-11-2010, 18:05
Sent a e mail to Analogue seduction and they recomended A Nagaoka 150.
They look good value for money. Whatdo you think?

Canetoad
16-11-2010, 18:55
I've just fitted one to my Rega Planar 3 and I think it sounds better than the Goldring 1012GX I had on it previously.

colinB
16-11-2010, 19:30
Good endorsement, thanks.

WAD62
16-11-2010, 21:10
Hi Colin, I've been using a DL-110 (slightly lower spec than the 160 I think), on my old Linn axis for about 18 months and am very happy with it, although as you stated earlier I got mine for about £60 back then, they're up to £120 now.

Very good at reducing noise on warn records...

MartinT
16-11-2010, 22:08
Colin - when I ran a 250ST on my Techie the DL-160 was a superb match, running into standard 47k loading. There are better cartridges but at a price, the DL-160 is a giant killer. Lovely musical sound that just draws you in and makes you want more. Gives you a large slice of high end MC sound for not much money.