PDA

View Full Version : Techie ordered... Now which cartridge to go with it?

Epicurus
13-11-2010, 20:44
OK, after a few months of saving up, I ordered my Technics SL-1200 Mk2, which should arrive shortly (brand spanking new, of course). For the time being, it's going to be used with the stock tonearm, headshell etc and the Denon DL-103 will have to wait a bit until I start upgrading it.

You can see what my system is in my signature below. The amplifier is Audio Analogue's Primo Settanta and the speakers are the RB-25 model by Klipsch, perched on Atacama Nexus 60 stands. The interconnects are Monster Cable's Interlink 250 and over the next few days I'm expecting the phono stage, which will be Musical Fidelity's V-LPS. Sometime around Christmas I expect to buy a Funk Achromat to either place above the existing rubber mat or replace the stock rubber mat with it altogether - opinions please on this one.

With all that in mind, what MM cartridge (retailing for under 100 GBP please) would you recommend for this deck to begin with? Please refrain from suggesting incredibly rare stuff; the brands I can have easy access to are Audio-Technica, Grado, Rega, Ortofon, Stanton and Sumiko and auditioning before I buy is, sadly, not among the possibilities I have in this city, as vendors have all but abandoned vinyl (not to mention that it's already pretty damn impossible to properly audition Hi-Fi gear, as most store owners think that selling audio equipment is the same as selling potatoes or beans).

So, any recommendations?

colinB
13-11-2010, 23:23
My first cartridge on my Technics was the Audio Technica 120e which was fine but i now use a Ortofon 2m blue which was a big improvement .

Gdg
13-11-2010, 23:33
I would suggest the
Audio Technica AT 120 E
http://cgi.ebay.it/Audio-Technica-AT-120-E-MM-Tonabnehmer-/380287298105?pt=Plattenspielerzubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item588ae3aa39
a good match for the SL 1200.

or the AT 440 MLA
http://cgi.ebay.it/Audio-Technica-AT-440-MLa-Tonabnehmer-AKTION-NEU-OVP-/380281997822?pt=Plattenspielerzubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item588a92c9fe
a very good one.

For not-so-much money more, my favourite:
Denon DL 160
http://cgi.ebay.it/Denon-DL-160-Tonabnehmer-NEU-OVP-/380287938556?pt=Plattenspielerzubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item588aed6ffc

MartinT
14-11-2010, 00:28
Seconded for the Denon DL-160 but I believe it's been discontinued so you may struggle to find one.

Epicurus
14-11-2010, 05:02
Uh, I asked for MM cartridge suggestions, not MC.

Gdg
14-11-2010, 07:46
Uh, I asked for MM cartridge suggestions, not MC.

The Denon DL 160 is an high-output MC. You can you use it with an MM pre-phono.

DSJR
14-11-2010, 10:54
The Pickering XV15 series, either 625 (an established and once "HFC Recommended" old favourite) and especially the 757S I reckon.

http://www.pickeringuk.com/hifi.html

The 625 has shot up recently in price - exchange rate on fresh batches? - (gawd, i remember it at £28 :( ) but Stanton/Pickering have made cartridges which have stood the test of time, the 681EEE stylus I have withstood thirty years in the loft and still tracks sublimely and the current samples promise better tip quality polish as well.

Nagaoka's are also supposed to be great in the stock Techie headshell and tonearm, although a Sumiko shell would be a good idea for the future and especially if the denon 110/160 is used.

Regarding the Denons, high output MC's or not, I never found them that inspiring and it's even been said that the 110 can work best into an MC input, high output or not, as it improves the sense of "slam." I seem to remember trying this donkeys years ago and agreeing with the sentiment.

By the way, Funk may have an interesting take on a replacement tonearm tube/cartridge mount for the Techie tonearm, thereby making excellent use of the fine bearings the basic arm has. Worth looking out for perhaps?

chris@panteg
14-11-2010, 11:06
The DL160 works really well with the stock arm ''' but

how about the Nagaoka MP110 at £75

DSJR
14-11-2010, 12:29
Has marco or anyone compared a MP110 with the Stanton/Pickerings I was going on about? Either should be great, but it's a matter of taste and I don't have the dosh spare to try it until well after Christmas (Sonny-Jim has presented us with a rolled-up scroll for his Christmas list and the tab's still running........... :()

Tarzan
14-11-2010, 17:11
l have, will post tommorrow, as l am going to work now ( nightwork):(