PDA

View Full Version : Goldenjacks Attenuators

Haselsh1
12-11-2010, 14:23
Today, Friday 12th November 2010, I managed to get my slightly redundant Croft Series Seven power amp fixed and up and running again but as a part of this process, I fitted a pair of Goldenjacks -14db attenuators to the pre amp input of the CD output. Now due to the fact that it is almost impossible to set a decent volume and balance on the Croft due to the over sensitive input I have found these attenuators an absolute Godsend.

Playing Acoustic Alchemy’s CD ‘This Way’, I have found the new setup to be a total revelation. During the title tracks middle eight section I can detect very low mixed vocals that I have never heard before and the main acoustic guitar at the forefront of the mix stops and starts very precisely. Quite why this should be I have no idea as I don’t fully understand the mechanics of electronics nor the black art of hi-fi but there is very definitely a big difference. The whole sound is now a lot more easy and less overpowering and brash with a rather delicate edge to everything.

The overall volume is of course much lower than it was previously but at least I now have a decent level of control of the volume pots and given that I mainly listen to low level chillout music and jazz these days this arrangement suits me very well. The attenuators were bought via the Goldenjacks website for which I have completely forgotten the link.

Marco
12-11-2010, 22:12
Interesting stuff!

The attenuators were bought via the Goldenjacks website for which I have completely forgotten the link.

Try this, Shaun: http://www.goldenjacks.com/ ;)

Marco.

Haselsh1
19-11-2010, 08:53
It is now a full week since I fitted the Goldenjacks to my system and I am still completely amazed by how they have improved things. The whole sound is now far more distant with considerable depth and much more space and ambience. The tonal character is now much softer and easier to listen to with the previous 'loud' and 'shouty' character totally gone. I spent a while last night listening to Peter Gabriel's 'Up' album and the sound that is now present here is stunning. For what these attenuators cost I am completely in favour of using them with the Croft preamp.

I hope I am allowed to do this but here is a link for anyone wanting to look at these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOLDENJACKS-AUDIO-ATTENUATORS-optimal-CD-sound-/300494750581?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item45f6e20375

colinB
19-11-2010, 15:51
Wondered about these. i remember the advert " does your source sound to loud past 9 oclock on the volume control?" . Well yes, my cd player does.

TopBalcony
20-11-2010, 18:29
Interesting. I also have a problem with excessive gain and have tried the Rothwells, but they have never done anything except to suck life out of the music. I wonder if there is an impedance thing going on here ?:scratch:

The Grand Wazoo
20-11-2010, 18:36
If you're going to pad down the signal like this you have to be sure to put them at the downstream end of the interconnect or use a very short cable. Otherwise, you'll lose a lot of treble sparkle.

Marco
20-11-2010, 23:51
Another option would be to fit a shunt mod on your volume pot, which reduces gain by approx 6db - problem solved less intrusively (nearer the source)... :)

I have this arrangement on my Croft and it does improve things, provided that your power amp is sensitive enough to cope with the reduction in gain.

Marco.

Haselsh1
21-11-2010, 09:20
Interesting. I also have a problem with excessive gain and have tried the Rothwells, but they have never done anything except to suck life out of the music. I wonder if there is an impedance thing going on here ?:scratch:

I had a set of Rothwells but I was using them with a passive volume pot in a Chinese valve amp and all they succeeded in doing was completely killing the music. I thought it was just the Rothwells but it clearly wasn't, these attenuators are now working brilliantly.

Just as an example; the off position on my Croft pre is at the twelve o'clock position. At normal listening levels the volume pot is at the five past position. This doesn't give a lot of room for adjustment so the attenuators actually help quite a lot.