PDA

View Full Version : Still an SL1200, but a new tonearm flavor...

Gdg
09-11-2010, 19:02
Hello to all the AOS friends,
today I'm here asking some advices.
-
So far I followed a very long path of studying, thinking, DIYing, checking and starting again, to set up my DL 103 SA on my M5G's stock tonearm (a complete report as "DL103SA VS SL1200, pt.II" is next to come)
That path drove me to a conclusion: I'm so happy with the final setup, that I don't want to change anything of it, anymore.

Why I'm so convinced about that?
Well, because it's about 2 full months I'm playing my vinyls paying attention only to the music. It's the first time ever in my life that, as soon the music starts to play, my mind doesn't start thinking about "what if I increase the VTF?" or "...maybe I should lower the VTA just a little...".
Does this sound crazy to you?
Nope, I'm pretty sure you know exactly what I mean...

I'm not stating this is the best setup ever, but it has the "MAGIC" I was looking for. And that's enough to me.

-

So, where in the world is the Q ?
Well, I own a MK5, too, and I willing to try something completly new, a different flavor, I could say. I want to equip this SL 1200 with a new cartridge & tonearm combo, but in the high/middle compliance domain.
This new setup will pair the DL103SA/M5G, to listen different kinds of music.
I have a (limited) budget to spend, and I'm thinking about:
* SME 309, as tonearm
* AT33EV, as cart.

I have no direct experience about these setup, the only features I'm looking for are:
* good & deep basses (just like DL 103)
* soft, smooth highs (I don't like highs too much)
* good tracking ability
* very very very good control of sibilance

Keep in mind I have a strong preference on SME 309 because of:
* removable H/S
* ease of VTA/HTA/VTF settings
* aesthetics (ehm :rolleyes:)

What do you think about ?

Thank you very much for your advices
-

PS: I stated elsewhere that my DL103SA + stock tonearm combo has, to me, some tracking limitation, pushing me to hear always the same vinyls.
Though, that's not the only reason I want to try a different setup. Let's say I'm just a curious kid...

DSJR
09-11-2010, 21:38
Just my view and not necessarily shared by any other...

I love the 309 and think that despite not having all the toys of the Series V, it's probably as good sonically assuming wiring is the same. The removable headshell is a boon and the clamp must be as good as any shrink fit a la Linn ;)

The 33EV would suit me fine as I like my top NOT rolled off, but clean. Denon 103 lovers may not agree as much with this choice. I'm sectretly fond of the Expert-Styli rebuilt Linn Troika, believe ot or not and I know SME used to do a three-hole version of the 309 headshell.

I'm going to have to wash my mouth out with soap suggesting this, but a good old koetsu red might just be "the one," as it's refined/restrained with a glorious romantic quality to it. Definitely not a Decca, but possibly an extention of the 103 ideal if you can find a good one for 33EV prices (you never know) - ugggh, that Coal-Tar soap tastes horrible :vomfest:

Marco
09-11-2010, 22:21
Hi Giovanni,

Excellent post. I'll get to it tomorrow, as I'm just about to have an early night and hit the sack! :)

Marco.