PDA

View Full Version : Screwing in the spikes

Ashmore
06-11-2010, 13:52
After a year of ownership I just got round to screwing the little spikes into the bottom of my PMC speakers.

Oh My F***ing God! It's like having different (much better) speakers! Suddenly the bass has appeared and the top end is no longer buzzy. Honestly, it is a very significant difference and it's cost me 40p (the spikes are each standing on 5p pieces so as to not dig into the floorboards).

I feel like a tit for not doing it before.

Should I put some sort of plinth under them too?

S

Stratmangler
06-11-2010, 13:59
I've usually found it beneficial to isolate speakers from suspended floors, so a plinth of some kind would probably be beneficial.
Granite chopping boards are cheap and look nice - I'd give them a go.

Rare Bird
06-11-2010, 14:35
You can't beat castors :lolsign:

YNWaN
06-11-2010, 15:00
I've usually found it beneficial to isolate speakers from suspended floors, so a plinth of some kind would probably be beneficial.
Granite chopping boards are cheap and look nice - I'd give them a go.

This is not my experience and, in the case of the OP, I would remove the 5p pieces and allow the spikes to embed themselves in the floorboards - However, if you have polished floors I quite understand your reluctance to do so and would continue to use small floor protectors (only). Make sure all four spikes make equal floor contact.

petemosby
07-11-2010, 16:58
definitely should be careful with that.

jantheman
08-11-2010, 15:30
I have 15" square paving slabs, painted black, under mine.....£3 each from B&Q......Just a thought....HTH

Reid Malenfant
08-11-2010, 15:53
I have 15" square paving slabs, painted black, under mine.....£3 each from B&Q......Just a thought....HTH
The same sort of thing i use under the equipment in my rack ;) Like yourself i painted them black :eyebrows:

Wickes £2 a slab 400 x 400mm (http://www.wickes.co.uk/Derby-Utility-Paving/invt/224595)

Works a treat :)

nat8808
08-11-2010, 18:23
hey, why not install a couple of beams going from wall to wall above the current floor? that should isolate them..

michaelhigh
08-11-2010, 22:59
hey, why not install a couple of beams going from wall to wall above the current floor? that should isolate them..

I go from floor to ceiling for overall structural integrity!:lol:

DavidF
08-01-2011, 03:12
After a year of ownership I just got round to screwing the little spikes into the bottom of my PMC speakers.

Oh My F***ing God! It's like having different (much better) speakers! Suddenly the bass has appeared and the top end is no longer buzzy. Honestly, it is a very significant difference and it's cost me 40p (the spikes are each standing on 5p pieces so as to not dig into the floorboards).

I feel like a tit for not doing it before.

Should I put some sort of plinth under them too?

S

IME, yes.