PDA

View Full Version : If you could bring a dead rock star back to life

Mudbug
17-07-2008, 19:53
If you could bring a dead rock star back to life for one gig, who would it be?

John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis, Kurt Cobain, Buddy Holly? Freddie Mercury? Or someone else?

This Day in Music are carrying out a world-wide survey to see which dead rock stars people would want to see again - for one night only!

Who would you pick? You can see a full list and vote on
www.thisdayinmusic.com

Beechwoods
17-07-2008, 20:00
Syd Barrett c. 1970

http://homepage.mac.com/beechwoods/Syd_Barrett_tights.jpg

Iain Sinclair
17-07-2008, 20:26
Nick Drake (if he qualifies as a 'rock star').

Prince of Darkness
17-07-2008, 20:42
Frank Zappa.:guitar:

Beechwoods
17-07-2008, 20:43
Nick Drake (if he qualifies as a 'rock star').

Good choice. Nick did some of the most beautiful 'English' acoustic music and is sadly missed. His guitar work amazes me - some of his melodies are mesmerizing somehow. He always struck me as being a bit like Syd; the trouble with fame, his illness... not to mention having the same manager (Pete Jenner) and being engineered by John Woods (who engineered a bunch of the Floyds' early sessions...)

http://forum.hashmuseum.com/smileys/smiley40.gif

The Grand Wazoo
19-07-2008, 23:55
If you could bring a dead rock star back to life for one gig, who would it be?

John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis, Kurt Cobain, Buddy Holly? Freddie Mercury? Or someone else?

This Day in Music are carrying out a world-wide survey to see which dead rock stars people would want to see again - for one night only!

Who would you pick? You can see a full list and vote on
www.thisdayinmusic.com

I probably wouldn't do it, cos thanks to the parasitic bastards who block buy then resell in tickets, I'd never get to the gig!

Togil
22-07-2008, 18:56
Keith Moon

shane
23-07-2008, 13:14
Sandy Denny (see pic above!)

Filterlab
23-07-2008, 14:57
You mentioned them both, John Lennon and Freddie Mercury. Both gods of music.

Mike
23-07-2008, 15:46
Marc Bolan

Ted Hawkins

Mudbug
29-07-2008, 20:41
Just had a look at the results so far, John Lennon in third, John Bonham from Led Zepp in second and Elvis has the most votes at the moment.

I would've thought John Lennon would win this no problem? Freddie Mercury is in forth place, Hendrix is in fifth and Kurt Cobain in sixth.

combwork
30-07-2008, 08:25
Bringing dead rock stars back to life isn't always a good idea. Stephen King nailed it; 'You know they got a Hell of a band'

StanleyB
01-08-2008, 23:27
All very good choices, of which Jimi Hendrix would be at the top of my list.
Another of note is Phil Lynott.

Pool Hall Richard
08-08-2008, 12:02
Alex Harvey

bhasi
11-09-2008, 18:10
Elton John? (Sorry. Couldn't resist!)

Seriously, though, it would have to be Elvis. Wrest him away from the Memphis Mafia, get him into detox, get him hooked up with Ann-Margaret: he'd be good for at least another 23 years (the total length of his recording career). Oh, right, it's just for one gig? Well, it would still be worth it, without the Colonel or old RCA around to screw up the recording side.

vegetableman
12-09-2008, 12:34
As much as I love both Syd and Nick Drake, I don't think there'd be a chance in hell (Boom boom) of them playing live even if they did come back.

I'm sure we could coax Jimi Hendrix into treading the boards one more time. That I'd love to see. Sadly when he was playing the likes of UFO and The Saville Theatre, I was only 8 and had little chances of making the guest list.

muffinman
13-09-2008, 19:26
as it's just for 1 gig i think i'd like to see Bob Marley. i just imagine the evening would be more celebratory and a right old sing along.
i think there are far better corpses out there but i reckon this would be a top night out

Acorn3a
02-10-2008, 12:23
Gotta be Elvis & Hendrix.

Acorn3a
03-10-2008, 11:45
Oh and how could i miss out the fantastic Otis Redding.

Beechwoods
03-10-2008, 15:07
I think it'd be great if they could bring back the real Paul McCartney (http://www.paulisdeadhoax.com/).

The real Paul McCartney would never have played Tel Aviv ;)

Mike
05-10-2008, 20:15
as it's just for 1 gig i think I'd like to see Bob Marley. i just imagine the evening would be more celebratory and a right old sing along.

Yeah.... and we'd all be off our faces in the clouds of ganja wafting about! :eyebrows:

jimdgoulding
06-10-2008, 03:35
Gil Evans at the Village Vanguard in NYC. And he could play some Hendrix tunes like he used too. Saw Stevie Ray Vaughn and Albert Collins, separate, not together tho that would be cool, in little joints back in the day. That's the way I would like it.

barty
10-10-2008, 23:25
Jeff Buckley and Stevie Ray Vaughan

gary_j
13-01-2009, 12:44
It would have to be Bon Scott

anthonyTD
13-01-2009, 13:44
yep,
phil lynott
mark bolan
stevie ray v
kieth moon [for his presence alone]
freddy mercury
and of course bon scott, AC/DC were never the same in my opinion.
to be honest there's just too many for me to choose, but i would be more than happy for one of the above...
anthony...

John
13-01-2009, 16:26
For me there 3 I find hard to choose from
Hendrix
Jeff Buckley
Django

starless and slightly fat
28-08-2009, 02:21
Alex Harvey.

-S

DanJennings
28-08-2009, 07:14
John Martyn.... only just gone, but sorely missed

The Vinyl Adventure
28-08-2009, 07:34
Buckley
I didn't like grace the first time I heard it ... Then I sat on a bus with the cd in my pocket with only a minidisc player I couldn't find out of all my disks anything I wanted to listen to more than jeff Buckley... Got home, played the cd, and realised just how jaw droppingly good it is! ... Was a most wierd introdution to an artist! I had only bought it because someone had had a go at me for not owning it (that would be toby, dan, if your interested)

DanJennings
28-08-2009, 07:42
well he had a point!

DSJR
28-08-2009, 13:02
You mentioned them both, John Lennon and Freddie Mercury. Both gods of music.

Same here. I'd choose Lennon and wifey would definitely choose Freddie.

Alex_UK
28-08-2009, 13:55
Damn, more money on Amazon, Grace is a masterpiece that I somehow never managed to buy until now...

The Grand Wazoo
28-08-2009, 17:08
Damn, more money on Amazon, Grace is a masterpiece that I somehow never managed to buy until now...

You're forgiven, just be sure to play the bejeezus out of it!

The Vinyl Adventure
28-08-2009, 17:17
GET GRACE ON VINYL!! it suits the format like jesus suits bloody sandals!!

Jonboy
28-08-2009, 17:26
John Lee Hooker
Jim Morrison

Barry
28-08-2009, 18:35
If I'm allowed to change the title to

'If you could bring a dead performer back to life', then for me it would be (in no particular order):

Miles Davis
Louis Armstrong
Charles Mingus
Jimi Hendrix
Jim Morrison
Davey Graham
Syd Barratt
Rick Wright
Hugh Hopper
John Martyn
Nick Drake
Ian Dury
Johnny Cash
John Lee Hooker
Sonny Boy Williamson
Howlin' Wolf
Freddy King
Sonny Terry
Brownie McGee
Rick Von Schmidt
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Rory Gallagher
Bob Marley
Tim Buckley
Jeff Buckley
Django Reinhardt
Otis Reading
Frank Zappa
John Coltrane
Charlie Parker

Sandy Denny
Janis Joplin
Dusty Springfield
Nina Simone
Jo Ann Kelly
Eva Cassidy
Ella Fitzgerald
Koko Taylor
Sarah Vaughan

Spectral Morn
28-08-2009, 18:46
I'd bring my Mum back...I miss her :( She was my star, not rock, but a star none the less. Thread drift I know but there you go.

Regards D S D L

Barry
28-08-2009, 18:52
I'd bring my Mum back...I miss her :( She was my star, not rock, but a star none the less. Thread drift I know but there you go.

Regards D S D L

Yes, I'd choose to bring back my parents. I miss them too. My mother was not musical but my father used to play the harmonica (though not the blues unfortunately).

Spectral Morn
28-08-2009, 21:07
Yes, I'd choose to bring back my parents. I miss them too. My mother was not musical but my father used to play the harmonica (though not the blues unfortunately).

They live on in our memories, but every so often (if I am truthful all the time) its not enough.

Glad you feel the same way Barry.

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
28-08-2009, 23:16
GET GRACE ON VINYL!! it suits the format like jesus suits bloody sandals!!

I did think about it, Grace on Vinyl (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00004WOJ1/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1251501227&sr=1-1&condition=new) then I thought, Naaah, I'll have it for £1.12 on CD, and then I can eat for the next month instead! ;)

Alex_UK
28-08-2009, 23:27
Neil - Barry- both my parents are still around so I can't sympathise with you there, but I lost my best friend when I was 17 (Mark, he was a big Blondie fan, and it was because of him and his uncle I got into "hi-fi") and another very close friend 10 years ago on Monday (who I shared many Sam Brown & Human League concerts with, and also a big Toyah fan.) (Others too, unfortunately, that I won't dwell on.)

I do still miss them terribly sometimes, but on a positive note, like many of the artists mentioned in this thread, and like your loved ones, their legacy is that they're still in our hearts, and though it may be a bit of a cliche, it is still true (IMO)

The Vinyl Adventure
28-08-2009, 23:36
I did think about it, Grace on Vinyl (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00004WOJ1/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1251501227&sr=1-1&condition=new) then I thought, Naaah, I'll have it for £1.12 on CD, and then I can eat for the next month instead! ;)

it was re-released on 180g last year sometime..

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/9ce1871f.jpg

its available here for £24.99.. and you might well find it cheaper
http://eil.com/shop/PresetList.asp?PageId=145&PageNum=2&SortOrder=1

i dont know how good the original sounds, but to my ear this version is plus plus good ...

The Vinyl Adventure
28-08-2009, 23:46

i thought about comenting something similar, i never knew my mom as she died when i was very young - the only memory i have of her is the back of her head. my dad also died before we ever got to know each other as adults. the only thing i wouldnt give up to have a day with them is my hannah... but that is perhaps enough of that... life goes on, eh

Barry
28-08-2009, 23:50
Neil - Barry- both my parents are still around so I can't sympathise with you there, but I lost my best friend when I was 17 (Mark, he was a big Blondie fan, and it was because of him and his uncle I got into "hi-fi") and another very close friend 10 years ago on Monday (who I shared many Sam Brown & Human League concerts with, and also a big Toyah fan.) (Others too, unfortunately, that I won't dwell on.)

I do still miss them terribly sometimes, but on a positive note, like many of the artists mentioned in this thread, and like your loved ones, their legacy is that they're still in our hearts, and though it may be a bit of a cliche, it is still true (IMO)

Agreed Alex. It's interesting how you associate lost friends and family with various pieces of music. Fortunately, I have wide tastes in music, so am always reminded of friends and aquaintences, those still with me and those who, sadly, are not.

Regards

The Vinyl Adventure
28-08-2009, 23:54
i listen to neil diamond to remember my dad.. it always makes me feel contented and happy inside

Alex_UK
29-08-2009, 09:38
it was re-released on 180g last year sometime..

its available here for £24.99.. and you might well find it cheaper
http://eil.com/shop/PresetList.asp?PageId=145&PageNum=2&SortOrder=1

i dont know how good the original sounds, but to my ear this version is plus plus good ...

Thanks Hamish - that's a bit more reasonable than the Amazon one! I'll see how I get on - it sounded brilliant from Spotify (through the Caiman, obviously) so the CD should be better than that - I'm not sure my turntable can outperform the CDP/DAC (the Pro-Ject that is, The Garrard 401/SME 3009 will I'm sure, once I get to work on it!)

Anyway, to get this thread back OT, from listening to Grace in particular, I'd definitely vote for Jeff Buckley, a serious talent not given the opportunity to bloom. There would have been a relatively small timeframe to see him live, so this would be an awesome "comeback".

The Grand Wazoo
29-08-2009, 10:31
You should get a copy of the 'Live in Chicago' DVD - the best tracks from 'Grace', covers of MC5 & Big Star, great performance with huge energy. Lets you get an idea of what a great performer he was.

When you've bought all his releases, you should check out his dad's stuff - Tim Buckley, a bit more folky, a bit more jazzy a bit less Led Zeppie. Start with 'Greetings from LA'

The Grand Wazoo
29-08-2009, 10:45
You should get a copy of the 'Live in Chicago' DVD

You may still be able to get it cheaply as part of a twofer with the Mystery White Boy CD - that's how I got it - a while back now, though.

The Grand Wazoo
29-08-2009, 10:58
One of the things I loved about his performances was his exquisite taste in cover versions and his way of doing them in a completely different way, while retaining & sometimes enhancing the poigniency of the original.
The expanded version of 'Live at Sin-E' has some great examples of this - 'Strange Fruit', 'Just like a Woman', 'I Shall Be Released'

John
29-08-2009, 11:15
God Grace is going for silly money these days But great album
I have 2 copies just in case one ever gets damaged

John
29-08-2009, 11:19
One of the things I loved about his performances was his exquisite taste in cover versions and his way of doing them in a completely different way, while retaining & sometimes enhancing the poigniency of the original.
The expanded version of 'Live at Sin-E' has some great examples of this - 'Strange Fruit', 'Just like a Woman', 'I Shall Be Released'

Yes agree totally
have a listen to Strange Fruit just awesome
pCEFnqnXrTE

The Grand Wazoo
29-08-2009, 11:25
...........and this made me laugh a lot when I heard it for the first time..........

8CvgIWG5rk8

John
29-08-2009, 11:27
me too I love the way he gets the pitch right

Alex_UK
29-08-2009, 15:02
Thanks guys - Greetings from LA on DVD £0.01 + £1.21 p&p off Amazon! Mystery White Boy CD a rip off at £0.76 + p&p! Criminal really that they are so cheap. Mind you, that's still another 3 quid you lot have cost me... :)

Barry
30-08-2009, 00:06
Thanks guys - Greetings from LA on DVD £0.01 + £1.21 p&p off Amazon! Mystery White Boy CD a rip off at £0.76 + p&p! Criminal really that they are so cheap. Mind you, that's still another 3 quid you lot have cost me... :)

Tough Alex! - you shouldn't have joined a forum where the members display such immaculate taste! :smoking:

Enjoy!

Regards

Barry
30-08-2009, 00:13
Yes agree totally
have a listen to Strange Fruit just awesome
pCEFnqnXrTE

Not bad - but not a patch on Billie Holiday's version. Sorry .............

Regrds

The Vinyl Adventure
30-08-2009, 02:23
primal scream- togeahter as one
its not on topipic but i love this

John
30-08-2009, 05:22
Not bad - but not a patch on Billie Holiday's version. Sorry .............

Regrds

Agree Barry Billy version is at another level but he does it justice

The Grand Wazoo
30-08-2009, 07:05
Agreed also, but it's frightening to imagine what some other so-called 'artists' could have done to this song.

This one, more than most songs, demands respect & sensitivity.

Werner Berghofer
30-08-2009, 10:50
If you could bring a dead rock star back to life for one gig, who would it be?I would prefer Esbjörn Svensson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esbjörn_Svensson). Not exactly a rock star, but — unlike certain rock stars — an excellent musician, which is deeply missed by a lot of music lovers around the world.

webby
01-09-2009, 22:07
Don't think he's been mentioned, but, how about Roy Orbison?

twelvebears
01-10-2009, 19:38
Nobody that 'classic' for me. I'd just like to see Kirsty MacColl back with us. :(

Barry
01-10-2009, 19:52
Nobody that 'classic' for me. I'd just like to see Kirsty MacColl back with us. :(

Good Lord, how did I miss her from my list? Good choice Steve.

Regards

Spectral Morn
01-10-2009, 20:06
Good Lord, how did I miss her from my list? Good choice Steve.

Regards

She died to young thats for sure.

Regards D S D L

DaveK
01-10-2009, 20:08
Sorry if she's been mentioned earlier but my choice would be Karen Carpenter.

The Grand Wazoo
01-10-2009, 20:15
Robert Johnson

DaveK
01-10-2009, 20:22
I'm fairly certain this one won't have been mentioned before:
David Whitfield, (he says, ducking swiftly behind the sofa) :lolsign: .
Would it be too sick to say Vera Lynn? - yes it would, so I won't - sorry.

Alex_UK
01-10-2009, 21:22
After listening to some Curtis Mayfield, I'd like him to be able to witness the first black president, but then he wouldn't be able to sing half of his old material at the gig!

Alex_UK
01-10-2009, 21:24
Would it be too sick to say Vera Lynn?

I didn't get that to start with - Dave, you naughty boy - show some reverence, she's a National Monument, or do I mean Institution? :confused:!

The Grand Wazoo
01-10-2009, 22:15
she's a National Monument,

Wot, Like pigeons sit on her head & shit on her nose?

Jason P
01-10-2009, 23:08
Hardly a rock star but I'd love to have seen Michael Hedges live....

JE7eVfIAkkE

Seems like all the good ones die young...

I did get the chance to see this guy a few times before his untimely demise...

5rQVuyZNQ18

Jason

DanJennings
02-10-2009, 09:28
I did get the chance to see this guy a few times before his untimely demise...

5rQVuyZNQ18

Jason

Aye. and me... I couldn't believe it when I heard he'd passed away. A really sad loss.