PDA

View Full Version : Review of Nick G's phono stage

The Black Adder
05-11-2010, 15:19
Here is a review of the Nick Gorham MCj1 - MC valve phono stage.

Right from the very off once the very cool blue light has stopped flashing after warm-up it's very neutral, open and dynamic, the bottom is lush with no over extension or smear and after 5 minutes or so it starts to tighten and open up even more.

I'm running this through a Radford STA 25 Renaissance (EL34) with the SC-25 Valve pre. The turntable is a Thorens TD124 MKII with an Ortofon Rondo Red MC. Speakers are Dali Helicon 800 MKII's.

It certainly got punch especially on the likes of Led Zeppelin III, Roxy Music - For your Pleasure - Stone Roses, David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust.

Coming back from the Turkey farm after not having a phono stage for a short while I must say that this stage certainly is different to my last stages.

Its more realistic, natural and not shouty like some are. It’s also not soft or woolly, it has presence, weight and really does reach down deep for those details. No distortion from what I can hear and is very quiet indeed.

It handles mono recordings with such ease. Sgt. Peppers Y/B original Mono pressing has such a lush sound and Small Faces Autumn Stone sounds rhythmic and loud bringing out all of that lovely studio amp buzz.

Blind Faith’s ‘Do what you like’ has one of the best drum solos ever to which sounds utterly superb and Stevies Hammond lead-in reprise is so funky. It sweeps in like it should… with gusto. Respect to Ginger!

Pulps ‘The Wicker Man’ from the album ‘We love life’ has some great under watery sounds as well as the lovely Jarvis tones and it really does take you there – not that you would want to go there in the first place. I’m from Sheffield myself and believe you me; the mentioned concrete channel really does exist!

I love it!... I'm finding myself switching it on a lot more often in the last few weeks of owning it. Previous to this stage I had the NVA Phono 2 and a PS Audio GCPH-100 and it really knocks the socks off these.

I'm finding the sound becoming more and more natural with each day. It gives the clean lines of CD but with realism, pace and none of that forwardness and un-relentless consistent fatigue.

This model is now available for £850 + delivery and I’d say it’s very much worth every penny.

selfaddict
06-11-2010, 09:50
Great review, many thanks for taking your time to do this :clap:

What type and make of tubes are you currently using and are you planning to get yourself involved to the endless art of tube rolling :lol: ?

The Black Adder
06-11-2010, 09:59
Cheers Juha. Hope it was helpful.

I'm currently running Mullards in the amp and pre. The phonostage has JJ's I think.

Tube Rolling, well... not for a while. A complete set of NOS Matched Mullards (Military) cost me over £850. Eeek! So, apart from replacing the old I think I'll leave rolling for some years to come. :)

YNWaN
06-11-2010, 10:33
Very interesting - but unfortunately your system bears very little resemblance to my own :(.

Do you still live in Sheffield Joe - oh no, I see you live in Lichfield - oh well.

Stratmangler
06-11-2010, 12:26
Mark

If I were you I'd drop Nick a line. He lives near Halifax.

If you can get over, there's a DIY meet taking place at Eggborough Power Station right now, and Nick is one of the chaps there.
The meet is taking place at the Social Club there. It is only taking place today.

The Black Adder
06-11-2010, 15:01
Hi Mark. Yean, here in boring olde Lichfield now matey... no more Leadmill... Boo!

Nick will make sure it's suited to your system as much as he can.

basnas
10-07-2011, 11:46
How is this Nick Gorham phono stage compare with the Croft micro 25R phono stage. Or the singel phono stage from Croft.
Any compare?
best Jan

The Black Adder
10-07-2011, 15:32
Hi Jan.

Not sure matey.. I've not actually heard the Croft 25R yet.. but maybe someone else here might know.

Cheers

hifi_dave
10-07-2011, 19:54
I've not heard the Nick Gorham but I can vouch for the Croft Micro 25R and the RIAA phono stage. Great sound and amazing value for money.

steveinfrance
11-07-2011, 20:12
Do you have an original STA25? I did the QC on all of these for Arthur Radford and would like to know the S/N
Steve

MCRU
11-07-2011, 21:02
I've not heard the Nick Gorham but I can vouch for the Croft Micro 25R and the RIAA phono stage. Great sound and amazing value for money.

I have not heard the Croft Micro 25R or the RIAA phono stage but have heard the Nick Gorham phono stage and it was gobsmackingly good.:)

Marco
11-07-2011, 21:20
Well, you've heard one Croft preamp with a built-in phono stage - mine, on Saturday! ;)

And yes, Nick's phono stage is very good :)

Marco.