PDA

View Full Version : Thorens TD 145 MK II

magiccarpetride
04-11-2010, 19:55
How would you guys rate this TT? Is 126 better?

Rare Bird
04-11-2010, 20:46
O dear yes 'TD126' is a lot better TT imho

DSJR
04-11-2010, 21:20
It depends on the 126!

For a while, Thorens played with a low voltage motor and lightweight outer platter assembly. The slowing-under-load that the direct/idler drive lovers here detest was all too obvious unless you were tracking frail Empires, ADC's and Shures at 1g or less. I think it was the 126mk3 or 4 that saw a welcome return to a heavy outer platter and an AC synchronous motor. Once this happened, the performance was lifted back to TD125 or higher standards.

The TD145 is good only if the main bearing is ok. Thorens changed the bearing a few times during the course of the TD160+siblings' life, but as long as there's no wobble in the bearing, the oerformance can be excellent as long as the tonearm and cartridge are correctly matched and the arm bearings are correctly adjusted for minimal play.

Rare Bird
04-11-2010, 21:52
Dave:
The 'TD126 Mk.III' used a D.C Motor i never knew their was a Mk.IV! The earlier ones used AC motors.. all the same the deck is a good one

DSJR
05-11-2010, 07:46
I should cross reference my HiFi Choices before making pronouncements, shouldn't I. Once the AC motor was re-established, the deck reviewed well. I'm out this morning, but I'll try to scan the review for posterity..

Rare Bird
05-11-2010, 11:40
I should cross reference my HiFi Choices before making pronouncements, shouldn't I. Once the AC motor was re-established, the deck reviewed well. I'm out this morning, but I'll try to scan the review for posterity..

Re established with the introduction of the 'TD127'