PDA

View Full Version : Resistor Lead Forming

Rare Bird
04-11-2010, 13:50
Does anyone know where i can get a Resistor Lead Forming Jig from in the UK! I cannot find mine for looking

Barry
05-11-2010, 18:39
Does anyone know where i can get a Resistor Lead Forming Jig from in the UK! I cannot find mine for looking

What's wrong with using a pair of round-nose pliers?

Regards

Mike
05-11-2010, 19:31
What's wrong with using a pair of round-nose pliers?

Regards

Bugger all! :scratch:

Thermionic
06-11-2010, 23:39
That's what we used to use.

Rare Bird
07-11-2010, 13:38
Your joking right?

I found one but it's in Canada :(

DSJR
07-11-2010, 13:47
I use some small long nosed pliers from RS. They work OK for me ;)

Rare Bird
07-11-2010, 13:57
Sorry chaps pliars aint my style
However i found one in California $5.00

Beechwoods
07-11-2010, 16:32
Cheap enough to avoid any import duty!

Reid Malenfant
07-11-2010, 16:42
Cheap enough to avoid any import duty!
VAT Nick ;) Anything over £18 (after currency conversion) attracts VAT at the usual rate. Not 100% sure on import duty but i believe that cuts in at about £150 :rolleyes:

The real killer importing stuff is that if it's just over that £18 point you'll receive a nice letter from the post office informing you of the amount you have to pay, as well as the £10 they charge you for the letter :eek:

:lolsign:

Beechwoods
07-11-2010, 16:57
VAT... that's the one ;)

I have been rather annoyed recently to have been hit with a £3 or £4 VAT charge, plus an £8 admin fee :steam: The only slightly amusing thing about this is that Custom's obviously had some new targets set at the start of this financial year. I never had customs charges levied prior to that. At least they're trying to beat the deficit, ten quid at a time :)

Reid Malenfant
07-11-2010, 17:01
plus an £8 admin fee :steam:
That's the one :eyebrows: I couldn't remember if it was £8 or £10, i think you are more than likely correct, either way it's a lot for what boils down to a letter :rolleyes:

Barry
14-11-2010, 02:12
That's the one :eyebrows: I couldn't remember if it was £8 or £10, i think you are more than likely correct, either way it's a lot for what boils down to a letter :rolleyes:

The admin fee is related to the total amount of the custom's charge. When you've imported stuff worth £ '000s, you know about these things!

Reid Malenfant
20-01-2011, 12:19
I had a nice letter this morning yet again :rolleyes: Another £8 + the VAT that customs wants :doh:

Total about £14 & a trip to the postal sorting office :steam:

Don't import stuff from USA, you'll get stung damn near every time :(

HighFidelityGuy
20-01-2011, 12:37
I just use a pair of small needle nose pliers that have flat gripping surfaces. That way they don't knarl up the leads. Once you've formed a couple you learn the exact point to make the bends so the leads fit in the PCB holes. A former would be quicker but I already had the pliers.

However I think you'll find what you want HERE (http://www.mehodeelectronics.com/Soldering_Soldering_Aids/d117_118/). That was the fist place I found in the UK. Look for component bender half way down the page. :)

Rare Bird
21-01-2011, 01:49
I just use a pair of small needle nose pliers that have flat gripping surfaces. That way they don't knarl up the leads.

:steam:

thanks for the link btw..

I'm talking rebuilding amplifier that means absolutly everything old in the bin, hundreds of resistors with precision formed legs look the dogs balerkz. :)

I detest shoddy electronics, i fume when i see a line of resistor with all the tolerance bands not line with each other for instance.a fine eye for detail = quality to a sado like myself