PDA

View Full Version : Thorens TD160B Mk2 / Maywear Tonearm

Orient_Pirate
04-11-2010, 10:05
Guys,

I have a Thorens TD160B Mk2 with a Mayware pivot arm which I picked up some years ago second hand.

Im not sure which version of the Mayware arm I have on it?

Can anyone let me know which one one (formula) it is please?

Arm has a sliding weight on tone arm with dots as increments. Usual large oval counter weight on rear. Head shell is black alloy affair and anti skate is fishing wire. Arm is a lovely chrome finish.

Any ideas?
:scratch:

Rare Bird
04-11-2010, 10:18
Guys,

I have a Thorens TD160B Mk2 with a Mayware pivot arm which I picked up some years ago second hand.

Im not sure which version of the Mayware arm I have on it?

Can anyone let me know which one one (formula) it is please?

Arm has a sliding weight on tone arm with dots as increments. Usual large oval counter weight on rear. Head shell is black alloy affair and anti skate is fishing wire. Arm is a lovely chrome finish.

Any ideas?
:scratch:

Hi Tim
The arm is made from Aluminium.. Do you have a picture?

Here's my Mayware i posted on another board yonks ago...It's fully restored & rebuilt/Rewired.

Do you have the clear acrylic cap like this one or a smaller aluminium one? & is the headshell cast like this one or just bent to shape?

ourdogmax
04-11-2010, 12:25
Well the picture show a Formula 3. just sold one, very good arm.
:cool:

DSJR
04-11-2010, 14:31
You mean a Mayware Formula 4 Series 3 I think..?

I sold lots of these at the time, but the arm is too light-weight for many of today's cartridges I'm afraid, except possibly things like the AT120/440/155 or Stanton 681EEE (and the Pickering XV15 version at a similar price but with line-contact stylus).

Later on, there was a Series 4 with beefed up arm-tube, but I never had anything to do with that one. The arm's design concept sort of lives on in the Roksan Nima

Orient_Pirate
04-11-2010, 14:37
Ok.. Mine is the same as in pics above with clear acrylic top etc. The only difference I can see is that my headshell is a black bent into shape alloy type,(defo not cast).

So what version do I have then?

Rare Bird
04-11-2010, 21:29
Tim
That in the picture is my own arm, it is as Dave says a 'IV Mk.III..The best cart i used with it was the Mayware 'MC7' with 'T24'..I bought my first Mayware arm via mail order i think it was about £75.00... Don't get the above confused with the 'PLS4'

pure sound
05-11-2010, 08:52
Andre. I had the privilege of meeting & chatting with Gerald Bearman (Mayware) at the recent Manchester show. He was a nice guy with a fair few tales to tell. I wish I could've talked longer with him.

Orient_Pirate
05-11-2010, 10:10
Well the picture show a Formula 3. just sold one, very good arm.
:cool:

What price did you get for it Darrell?

DSJR
05-11-2010, 17:35
Andre. I had the privilege of meeting & chatting with Gerald Bearman (Mayware) at the recent Manchester show. He was a nice guy with a fair few tales to tell. I wish I could've talked longer with him.

He must be getting on a bit now I reckon. Hope none of the tales were about me :eek:

ourdogmax
08-11-2010, 11:54
Hi Tim, around £100