PDA

View Full Version : 15 inch

Dave Hewitt
03-11-2010, 21:59
Hi
Hope someone can be of assistance here.I have a pair of Fane collosus 15b bass drivers,the data sheet says 99db for 1 watt,I had visions of using these drivers along with a horn midrange and tweeter in suitable cabs and using them with with a single ended valve amp,but these fanes appear to be so stiff that I cant see my almarro driving them properly,Does the fact that the Fanes have a powerfull motor assembly get round this problem or,am I wasting my time
Cheers Dave.

Ian Walker
04-11-2010, 08:05
Yes you would be wasting your time sos Dave as your not getting Mr Plank back:lol:

Reid Malenfant
04-11-2010, 12:08
The reason they are "stiff" as you call it is due to having a higher resonance frequency than a hifi 15" woofer would have. Instead of 20Hz or below it'll more than likely be nearer 40Hz ;)

The speaker will still have a very high sensitivity so you'll still make a lot of noise with a low powered amp ;) Yes the large motor assembly will certainly help in this respect, but it'll be the fairly light cone & higher resonance that enables it to be so sensitive, after all, it is a PA driver :eyebrows:

technobear
04-11-2010, 17:17
Yep. The resonant frequency is 42Hz. These are bass drivers, not subwoofer drivers.

Should be good for about 45 Hz in a ported box but with high sensitivity, low distortion and staggering loudness capability. It should work well enough with a wee valve amp.

SPS
05-11-2010, 20:58
Yep. The resonant frequency is 42Hz. These are bass drivers, not subwoofer drivers.

Should be good for about 45 Hz in a ported box but with high sensitivity, low distortion and staggering loudness capability. It should work well enough with a wee valve amp.

thats my take on them too

As you know dave I use twin 18' fane's in Hframes and i was very suprised by them... i bought singles first.. doubling up was quite something
and my 2 or 5 watter is in control...
the lack of distortion is quite something although it takes some getting used too... I've found distortion thickens the sound up which could be good or bad... depending on your tastes..
cheers
steve

Dave Hewitt
05-11-2010, 21:07
Hi Steve,I originally made some onken cabs,fitted goodmans midax and trebax horns,but didnt put the goodmans audium bass units in thinking the large fanes would be better.After trying this arrangement and seemingly having little bass I put the parameters for the fanes in the onken calculator and discovered they are not suitable in this cabinet.I may make new fronts and try the audiums instead,alternative is to use the plans from the fane site and knock up a poor mans tad.
Cheers all Dave.