PDA

View Full Version : Mission accomplished

Rare Bird
02-11-2010, 14:03
This is what i use now..I won't be swapping them for the earth tbh. Rebuild as i get time.What a glorious sounding system as it stands.Cost me peanuts.I need to move on to more important things these days.

Mission 'DAD7000R' CD players
Cambridge Audio 'P55' Amplifier
Mission '737' Loudspeakers

Appologies for the poor pictures.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/Picture005.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/Picture007-1.jpg

snapper
02-11-2010, 14:14
Nice one,Andre.

What's the reason for having two spinners though?

Rare Bird
02-11-2010, 14:22
Hi Dave
No specific reason, i plan totally rebuilding one at a time keeping one as a spare long term.

Haselsh1
02-11-2010, 16:54
Nice one Andre. I used to love the early Mission stuff with my favourites being the Mission 710's powered by Crimson Elektric Monoblocks. My God they were the days. It was all so much fun back then.

snapper
02-11-2010, 17:02
Hi Dave
No specific reason, i plan totally rebuilding one at a time keeping one as a spare long term.

Ah right,makes sense.

Jonboy
02-11-2010, 17:20
I like it Andre', does the Cambridge tame the Mission 737, i have had the A250 mono blocks and matching pre in the past and have also had Mission Argonauts as well but sadley not at the same time, i think one would compliment tother very well after finding the Missions very in your face, they sounded good with my Quad 303/ 33 combo

DSJR
02-11-2010, 20:18
The bass and mid of the 737's was actually very good (I think it was the 770mk2 driver?), but the small dome tweet in the R version was allowed to take off, which spoiled it rather for me.. I hope Andr'e's pair are better.

The Vinyl Adventure
02-11-2010, 20:54
That amp is mint...

Rare Bird
03-11-2010, 00:15
The bass and mid of the 737's was actually very good (I think it was the 770mk2 driver?), but the small dome tweet in the R version was allowed to take off, which spoiled it rather for me.. I hope Andr'e's pair are better.

Hi Dave
Those i have are the Audax 'TW025A0' fabric dome tweeter version (The best sounding version i always thought)...The tweeter i think your relating too is Missions own! (pictured below)

I'm in need of a pair of '737' silver stands anyone!!

The Grand Wazoo
03-11-2010, 00:21
Well done Andre mate - it looks like you've got what you've been working for.
Hope it sounds good for you.
Cheers

Rare Bird
03-11-2010, 12:44
Hi Chris
Well I originally bought that model Speakers & CD player brand new in the mid '80's (These arnt the same ones i bought obviously).

Whats amazed me is ever since i got into serious Hi-Fi back in the early 80's the amount of money i've wasted over the years getting absolutly nowhere but dissapointment is beggars belief, i kid you not i could have bought a small house with what i've wasted! I was just gonna buy another A&R Cambridge 'A60' to partner them, as that was the amp i bought back then but saw that Cambridge Audio 'P55' going very cheap so thought what the heck...

Marco
03-11-2010, 12:59
Lovin' it, Andre - I too am a fan of that vintage of Misson speaks! I had a pair of 780 'Argonaut' once - remember those?

They were fun with a capital 'F'! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Rare Bird
03-11-2010, 13:04
Yes i do twin drivers silver hammered fronts the same..

Marco
03-11-2010, 14:15
Yep, they defo had a 'fun factor' and 'musical rightness' that is missing in most modern speakers :)

Another example of this is to listen to an original pair of Wharfdale Diamonds, and the fakes posing as such nowadays....! :rolleyes:

Marco.

Rare Bird
03-11-2010, 14:39
Aye

I picked this particular variant of the Speaker because of the Audax 'TW025A0' Tweeter, it's one of the best tweeters i've ever used..The others used with this model were inferior imho..A tweeter will make or break a design.

Marco
03-11-2010, 14:52
Indeed, and no doubt the 'Audax TW025A0' doesn't have the sonic nasties of the other tweeters used. I'd trust your judgement on that, dude! :)

Is it easy enough to get transport mechs for yer Mission spinners in case they decide to go 'ta-ta bella' one day?

Marco.

Jonboy
03-11-2010, 17:16
I had a pair of 780 'Argonaut' once
Marco.

Me too as stated above,

looks like i might as well talk to myself around here

Rare Bird
03-11-2010, 17:22
:D

DSJR
03-11-2010, 17:25
Yep, they defo had a 'fun factor' and 'musical rightness' that is missing in most modern speakers :)

Another example of this is to listen to an original pair of Wharfdale Diamonds, and the fakes posing as such nowadays....! :rolleyes:

Marco.

Diamonds were great cheap boxes, but you cannot be serious about ARGONAUTS, surely??????? God they were awful. Five minutes with them would send you screaming from the room - and it wasn't me who set the demo systems up either :D

Jonboy
03-11-2010, 17:44
but you cannot be serious about ARGONAUTS, surely??????? God they were awful. Five minutes with them would send you screaming from the room

I know what you mean
Van Den Dull were essential with these :lol:

Marco
03-11-2010, 18:40
Diamonds were great cheap boxes, but you cannot be serious about ARGONAUTS, surely??????? God they were awful. Five minutes with them would send you screaming from the room - and it wasn't me who set the demo systems up either

Hehehe... Well, old chap, we'll just have to agree to differ. Must've been the shite upstream you were using at the time :ner: ;)

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
03-11-2010, 18:53
Hi Andr'e, nice to see you got your Missions at last :) I'd still love to know what model it was that i pulled to bits a good while ago in all honesty, there appear to be a few mission experts (that wouldn't be space missions either :eyebrows:) on here so i might just find out one day :scratch:

Nice looking system, quick question, the rather odd port arrangement... Is this kind of moulding the while length of the port or just for decoration? I have seen odd stuff like this before, but can't remember where - might have been these an age ago :doh:

Is it easy enough to get transport mechs for yer Mission spinners in case they decide to go 'ta-ta bella' one day?
The Philips CD104 should be the same, apart from the remote sensor there are only a few other differences so there should be a few out there if needs be ;)

Rare Bird
03-11-2010, 19:17
Hehehe... Well, old chap, we'll just have to agree to differ. Must've been the shite upstream you were using at the time :ner: ;)

:lolsign: What you two like eh

Hi Andr'e, nice to see you got your Missions at last :) I'd still love to know what model it was that i pulled to bits a good while ago in all honesty, there appear to be a few mission experts (that wouldn't be space missions either :eyebrows:) on here so i might just find out one day :scratch:

Hi Mark:
The drink straw ports were not fancy it was all in the name of ‘Chuffing’ :eyebrows:

Nice looking system, quick question, the rather odd port arrangement... Is this kind of moulding the while length of the port or just for decoration? I have seen odd stuff like this before, but can't remember where - might have been these an age ago :doh:

The machine you pulled to bits! Did it look like a video recorder maybe PCM 4000, II !!

The Philips CD104 should be the same, apart from the remote sensor there are only a few other differences so there should be a few out there if needs be ;)

Yes same Mech (CDM-1) as the ‘CD104’, Important to point out that there’s a nice sounding encapuled Filter on the output of the ‘DAD7000’..Anyone thinking about buying one must realise quite a bit of work needs doing to get the player tip top..A great machine all the same regardless of the vintage, Weigh an absolute tone & built like a tank, all cast alloy chassis.. uses TDA1540 DAC’s (Technically mono TDA1541’s)..You can NOS these machines aswell

Reid Malenfant
03-11-2010, 19:24
Hi Mark:
The drink straw ports were not fancy it was all in the name of ‘Chuffing’ :eyebrows:

The machine you pulled to bits! Did it look like a video recorder maybe PCM 4000, II !!
Ah yes, the laminar flow thing from the drinking straws :eyebrows:

No it was a pair of Mission speakers, 8" doped paper bass with foam surround & 3/4" tweeters of the soft dome variety. Ported box (front) with a weird grill cloth arrangement that folded around the cabinet sides & kind of sloped from the top towards the front nearer the bottom at an angle :scratch: The cabinet was literally stuffed with a huge single piece of open cell foam...

Is that a good enough description? :eyebrows:

Jonboy
03-11-2010, 19:39
Phillips CDM 1 as fitted in my Micromega top loader, takes a lot to beat it IMHO

Rare Bird
03-11-2010, 20:15
Mark:
Are you sure they were Mission? Paper Cones!!

Reid Malenfant
03-11-2010, 20:22
Yes, 100% sure ;) They were a pair of standmount speakers, though some might call them large bookshelf :eyebrows:

I'll take a look at one of the bass drivers & see if there is any info on them, the foam surrounds have gone to the great foam surround heaven in the sky :lolsign:

DSJR
03-11-2010, 20:30
Mission 700's?

The drinking straws were supposed to reduce chuffing, but I can promise you the ports still chuffed when the wick went up ;)

Rare Bird
03-11-2010, 20:51
weird grill cloth arrangement that folded around the cabinet sides & kind of sloped from the top towards the front nearer the bottom at an angle

Aye daves right '700' but it was the grill thing you confused me with! You mean bevel edged foam grills (Like the 80's castle acoustics grills) of the ealy white fronted 700! you wouldnt believe the vision i got in my head with your description :lolsign:

Dave:
Only abusing the speaker will you still hear the chuffing ;)

DSJR
03-11-2010, 20:54
Marco should have been a bit older and got some 730's! Now THEY rock :lol:

Rare Bird
03-11-2010, 20:59
Marco should have been a bit older and got some 730's! Now THEY rock :lol:

'710'/'720'/'730' Nice cabs..

Beechwoods
04-11-2010, 08:21
I love the look of the DAD7000R's Andr'e. What vintage are they? They look like they're heavy as hell! I'm really glad you've got what you've been looking for. Now you can just sit back and enjoy the music.

Rare Bird
04-11-2010, 10:02
I love the look of the DAD7000R's Andr'e. What vintage are they? They look like they're heavy as hell! I'm really glad you've got what you've been looking for. Now you can just sit back and enjoy the music.

Thanks Nick
1985..They are very heavy..Days of proper Mechs & Metal drawers.

The Grand Wazoo
04-11-2010, 11:26
Thanks Nick
1985..They are very heavy..Days of proper Mechs & Metal drawers.

.....and a heatsink as I remember from mine!
Di I remember correctly?

Reid Malenfant
04-11-2010, 12:03
There was a decent sized heatsink on the back of the Philips CD104, so something tells me you remembered correctly :)

Rare Bird
04-11-2010, 12:03
.....and a heatsink as I remember from mine!
Di I remember correctly?

Shure is Chris

Beechwoods
04-11-2010, 12:14
Those were the days, Andr'e!

goraman
05-11-2010, 00:19
It's a nice set up,Some day you could put a new DAC inside one of those CDP's and blow peoples mind as I'm sure the transport is built for war.

Rare Bird
05-11-2010, 01:16
It's a nice set up,Some day you could put a new DAC inside one of those CDP's and blow peoples mind as I'm sure the transport is built for war.

TDA1540/1541 are the best soundin' DAC chips in existance imho ;) wait till i NOS it :cool:

Rare Bird
05-11-2010, 12:08
That amp is mint...

good i'll be moving it on soon :)

Jason P
05-11-2010, 15:18
:doh: Just got the thread title.

Always loved Mission stuff. Their speakers just looked...mmmm. Was something to lust after/dream about when I got my first system. Enjoy, Andre!

goraman
06-11-2010, 15:10
TDA1540/1541 are the best soundin' DAC chips in existance imho ;) wait till i NOS it :cool:

Is it possable to make it nonsampleing?
Tell me more.

Rare Bird
06-11-2010, 15:28
Yep dead easy