PDA

View Full Version : does anyone do decent cables for ps3 to amp

gary
16-07-2008, 21:47
Does anyone know of a decent cable PS3 to Amp as an upgrade to what is offered by sony as standard you know the one ps3 connection one end and phonos the other

Filterlab
17-07-2008, 09:01
I wouldn't imagine so to be honest. With HDMI and Optical output there's not really much requirement.

StanleyB
17-07-2008, 10:11
I don't know if the PS3 has a dedicated TOSLINK output, but if it does then a more specialized TOSLINK lead would be a good suggestion. Unless you are into digital transmissions and wired networking it is a bit difficult to imagine how a better digital lead can make a difference, but it does. Things like 5.1 etc need a wider bandwidth than the cheap and thin TOSLINK leads can supply. We are talking 3 to 5MHz capability versus 10MHz or more requirement. So jitter etc are going to bust your tail if you underestimate the importance of a good TOSLINK lead for say a DVD player. But even if you just plays audio CD you'll still need a very good TOSLINK lead if the eternal DAC chip is an oversampling type. Those DACs do their decoding well above the 44.1KHz sampling frequency, and they can be easily tripped up by vague upper frequency limitations due to the lead construction.

Filterlab
17-07-2008, 15:52
I don't know if the PS3 has a dedicated TOSLINK output....

Yep, it does.

Martyn Miles
17-08-2008, 13:29
Good cables? Log onto Studiospares. High quality cables of all sorts at normal ( that is, not dealer...) prices. For example, digital interconnect ( Cambridge Audio £30 + ) . Same cable ( Studiospares) £9.95 +vat .OK, You have to pay delivery but you will not be conned. I and other audio professionals use studio suppliers all the time. After all, what we put down our microphone cales is the first link in the chain...

StanleyB
20-08-2008, 09:54
I should perhaps put a bit more effort into adding a wider range of cables in my line up. £ for £, nobody supplies a better digital coax or TOSLINK cable than me. But I don't sell them on their own at the mo.
Before the cynics start: I won several What HIFI awards in the early part of this century for a couple of my THOR interconnects. And my Digital Coax is better specified than the exotic Siltech London that costs 7 or so times more.
Coming to think of it, no other sub £100 digital cable currently in production anywhere in the world uses more copper strands than mine. Copper has jumped in price, so maybe I should hike my prices on that cable...