PDA

View Full Version : Mike Oldfield....

Reid Malenfant
01-11-2010, 22:09
This is music related, but it's a little abstract :eyebrows:

Has anyone here read a book by Arthur C Clarke called "The Songs Of Distant Earth"?

Apparently Mike Oldfield was inspired to write or should i say make music to complement this book & frankly it's pretty amazing :lol: As i have actually read the book a few times i can say it definately fits with the impression the book gave to me :)

Mike Oldfield - The Songs Of Distant Earth.... Have a listen ;) Read the book to :)

Yes i've had one or two :cool: It's just imo..

:)

Rare Bird
01-11-2010, 22:13
Mark have a listern to his 'Music of the Spheres' it's on the spotted one

Jason P
02-11-2010, 10:08
I love The Songs Of Distant Earth. One of my fave MO albums.

Alex_UK
02-11-2010, 10:17
I've got about 10 Mile Oldfield albums (agree that "Music of the Spheres" is a great album) but I haven't got or heard "The Songs of Distant Earth" - Amazon here we come, and I've been SO good lately... :)

Spectral Morn
02-11-2010, 10:26
Hi Mark

As this topic is either music related or related to Arthur C Clarke I have moved your thread to this part of the forum as its topic fits better here rather than in Blank Canvas....hope you don't mind.

I love Arthur C Clarke and while I have Songs of Distant Earth I have as yet not read it.

I love Child Hoods End and the Times Eye trilogy with Stephen Baxter (though the last volume was a mess). The Rama books would make a good film.

RE Mike Oldfield not hear this album I will have a look out for it.

Regards D S D L

Lodgesound
02-11-2010, 10:27
"Songs of Distant Earth" is a lovely album and fantastically well recorded and produced (which was par for the course with nearly all of Oldfield's albums).

A very learned friend once said that in order to appreciate the genius of Mike Oldfield's work you had to listen on a very high quality system - the dynamics present on many of his albums far exceed many many other recordings that end up being supplied on CD.

I remember when Oldfield music went up for sale - the machinery he had was incredible - all brought new - all immaculately maintained - all absolute top of the range in it's day. He even had an entire 3 machine C Format open reel videotape editing suite in the mid-eighties when the cost of such a suite was the best part of £800000!

The Westlake monitor speakers in the control room alone cost £60000 - I by chance came across the engineer who had installed them for him which is how I know.

Reid Malenfant
02-11-2010, 12:01
Mark have a listern to his 'Music of the Spheres' it's on the spotted one
I'll have a poke about on ebay ;) I like all the stuff of his that i have heard, right back to Tubular Bells

I love The Songs Of Distant Earth. One of my fave MO albums.
My absolute favourite :eyebrows: Honestly the way the music fits with the book is outstanding & improves both if that's possible :scratch:

I've got about 10 Mile Oldfield albums (agree that "Music of the Spheres" is a great album) but I haven't got or heard "The Songs of Distant Earth" - Amazon here we come, and I've been SO good lately... :)
Go on, treat yourself - you're worth it :lol:

Hi Mark

As this topic is either music related or related to Arthur C Clarke I have moved your thread to this part of the forum as its topic fits better here rather than in Blank Canvas....hope you don't mind.

I love Arthur C Clarke and while I have Songs of Distant Earth I have as yet not read it.

I love Child Hoods End and the Times Eye trilogy with Stephen Baxter (though the last volume was a mess). The Rama books would make a good film.

RE Mike Oldfield not hear this album I will have a look out for it.

Regards D S D L
That's fine Neil, i did wonder if i dropped it in the right slot :eyebrows:

The album comes highly recommended. I'd suggest you read the book first & then listen to the music, i think you'll quite possibly have a jaw dropping moment :)

As for AC Clarke i think i have most of his books & with you entirely on the Rama books making a good film or two. The Time Ships would also make an amazing Sci fi film & while i'm about it they really should get on the ball & complete the 2001 series with 2061 & 3001 ;)

"Songs of Distant Earth" is a lovely album and fantastically well recorded and produced (which was par for the course with nearly all of Oldfield's albums).

A very learned friend once said that in order to appreciate the genius of Mike Oldfield's work you had to listen on a very high quality system - the dynamics present on many of his albums far exceed many many other recordings that end up being supplied on CD.

I remember when Oldfield music went up for sale - the machinery he had was incredible - all brought new - all immaculately maintained - all absolute top of the range in it's day. He even had an entire 3 machine C Format open reel videotape editing suite in the mid-eighties when the cost of such a suite was the best part of £800000!

The Westlake monitor speakers in the control room alone cost £60000 - I by chance came across the engineer who had installed them for him which is how I know.
I think your learned friend is probably spot on ;) The dynamics on The Songs Of Distant Earth are incredible & even though i know the album very well i still had to pick my jaw up off of my lap yesterday evening - hense the post :)

Bazil
16-11-2010, 17:39
Is that the album where somebody keeps saying "only time will tell" ?

sparrow
16-11-2010, 17:44
Is that the album where somebody keeps saying "only time will tell" ?

Yeah....still a wonderful album. though..

Bazil
16-11-2010, 17:57
Yeah....still a wonderful album. though..

Got no problem with it I was just trying to place it.
I was staying with relatives a few years back and it was in their CD rack, I kept playing it and the kids were going round saying "only time will tell" :)