PDA

View Full Version : Platter for my sl-1210

freem
31-10-2010, 12:05
After considering all discussions I have decided to keep my Mike New bearing and have also ordered a Paul Hynes SR5-21 to replace my Timestep psu.
Now I don't know which platter option would be best, Mike New, copper mat or Oyaide.
Do you think that the extra weight of the Mike New is likely to put an extra load on the motor and hence shorten its life.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards Paul.

chris@panteg
31-10-2010, 12:58
Hi

i would say no ' it will be fine and as you are getting the PH and MN bearing ! well you should speak to Martin , the MN platter is surely the obvious choice .

DSJR
31-10-2010, 14:01
As you have a MN bearing, the platter for it is the best way to go. if you deal with Mike directly, not only will you get it at a decent price, but there'll be a warranty and backup too.

As for straining the motor, do leave off :lol: We're talking magnetic fields here and the total current drawn by one of these motors under severe load isn't a fraction of what the PH supply has available apparently. The worst that could happen is that the coil assemblies will run very hot and I've NEVER read of this happening at all.

These motor units were designed for the worst kind of DJ abuse out there and it's physical damage, rather than electrical overloading, that you ought to worry about when buying a used SL12**mk2 onwards. The Mike New bearing is a class apart from the already good standard article, so don't worry.....

Marco
31-10-2010, 16:34
Hi Paul,

After considering all discussions I have decided to keep my Mike New bearing and have also ordered a Paul Hynes SR5-21 to replace my Timestep psu.

Glad we've been of help, and what you've done bearing-wise is a smart move. The Timestep PSU is very good, but the SR5-21 takes things to another level and really shows what the superb motor unit in the SL-1200/1210 is capable of.

You're in for a treat! :)

Now I don't know which platter option would be best, Mike New, copper mat or Oyaide.

I'm still assessing this very thing myself, and so have yet to arrive at a definitive answer.

However, from experience what I can tell you is this:

1) The stock platter of the Technics is a major limiting factor on the performance of the T/T, due to its highly resonant nature and relatively poor material construction. Therefore it can most certainly be upgraded, no question.

2) Mike New's platter offers a fundamental and major upgrade on the stock platter, and successfully addresses the issues above.

3) The Oyaide mat is so far for me an unknown quantity, although that will change fairly soon when I test one, along with a copper mat.

Mike's making me a specially commissioned version of his platter, which will be 1kg lighter than the current version and have a copper 'mat' (basically a thin copper plate) bonded to the surface of the platter, in order that the main advantages of the copper mat (rejection of eddy currents) are incorporated into an 'all-in-one' platter/mat solution, which I would then place my 'record interface mat' of choice on top, such as a Herbie's or Funk Firm Achromat (more on that later).

Therefore, the plan is to compare Mike's platter against the stock Technics one, fitted with a copper and/or Oyaide mat, whilst both are fitted with my 'record interface mat' of choice.

Once that's done, I'll then take my platter to Martin T's and compare it with his unmodified Mike New platter to see whether the modifications I've had carried out are sonically beneficial. At this point I will also assess the effect of the base strengthening plate, and once all that's done I'll report my findings on here for everyone's perusal.

However I insist on being thorough, so as you will appreciate, it will take some time to test all of the above. Once completed though, my findings will be archived on AoS and can be used as a reference point for anyone considering doing the same thing, which will hopefully save folk a lot of time and trouble. I think that most people trust my judgement on these matters :cool:

Do you think that the extra weight of the Mike New is likely to put an extra load on the motor and hence shorten its life.
Any thoughts appreciated.

I'd say no to that one, but the current weight of the MN platter *may* (and time will tell if this is true or not) in a minute sense adversely affect the motor control unit's ability to maintain the platter at precisely the correct speed, not likely in any measurable quantity, but one which could translate into an audible effect, hence why the platter I'm having made is significantly lighter.

Watch this space for the outcome!

Marco.

Tarzan
31-10-2010, 16:39
Just out of interest Marco, when are you comparing the two mats- should be interesting:).

freem
31-10-2010, 17:00
Hi Paul,

Glad we've been of help, and what you've done bearing-wise is a smart move. The Timestep PSU is very good, but the SR5-21 takes things to another level and really shows what the superb motor unit in the SL-1200/1210 is capable of.

You're in for a treat! :)

I'm still assessing this very thing myself, and so have yet to arrive at a definitive answer.

However, from experience what I can tell you is this:

1) The stock platter of the Technics is a major limiting factor on the performance of the T/T, due to its highly resonant nature and relatively poor material construction. Therefore it can most certainly be upgraded, no question.

2) Mike New's platter offers a fundamental and major upgrade on the stock platter, and successfully addresses the issues above.

3) The Oyaide mat is so far for me an unknown quantity, although that will change fairly soon when I test one, along with a copper mat.

Mike's making me a specially commissioned version of his platter, which will be 1kg lighter than the current version and have a copper 'mat' (basically a thin copper plate) bonded to the surface of the platter, in order that the main advantages of the copper mat (rejection of eddy currents) are incorporated into an 'all-in-one' platter/mat solution, which I would then place my 'record interface mat' of choice on top, such as a Herbie's or Funk Firm Achromat (more on that later).

Therefore, the plan is to compare Mike's platter against the stock Technics one, fitted with a copper and/or Oyaide mat, whilst both using my 'record interface mat' of choice.

Once that's done, I'll then take my platter to Martin T's and compare it with his unmodified Mike New platter to see whether the modifications I've had carried out are genuinely beneficial. At this point I will also assess the benefits of the base strengthening plate, and once all that's done I'll report my findings on here for everyone's perusal.

However I insist on being thorough, so as you will appreciate, it will take some time to test all of the above. Once completed though, my findings will be archived on AoS and can be used as a reference point for anyone considering doing the same thing, which will hopefully save folk a lot of time and trouble. I think that most people trust my judgement on these matters :cool:

I'd say no to that one, but the current weight of the MN platter *may* (and time will tell if this is true or not) minutely adversely affect the motor unit's ability to maintain the correct speed, not in any measurable sense, but one which could translate into an audible effect, hence why the platter I'm having made is significantly lighter.

Marco.
Many thanks for that Marco, sounds fascinating. Please try not to keep us in suspense too long.

Marco
31-10-2010, 17:11
Hi Andy,

Just out of interest Marco, when are you comparing the two mats- should be interesting

I'm currently waiting on Guy (from Puresound) getting more copper mats in from his supplier, which he's told me should be soon, so when I get one I'll obtain an Oyaide and do the comparison - shouldn't be any longer than a couple of weeks, tops :cool:

Marco.

Marco
31-10-2010, 17:15
Hi Paul,

Many thanks for that Marco, sounds fascinating. Please try not to keep us in suspense too long.

I'm looking to finalise everything before Christmas...

Keep us posted on how you get on with the SR5-21 :)

Marco.

colinB
31-10-2010, 17:19
The female part of my brain wants the copper mat to sound the best because it looks so good.

Marco
31-10-2010, 17:45
Lol - the only problem is you don't see much of it when the record interface mat is placed on top! ;)

And using another mat for the record to sit on top of is fundamentally necessary with the copper mat, as a copper/(vinyl) record interface isn't sonically optimal.

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
31-10-2010, 17:58
Hi Paul, the only time the heavier platter will make any difference to the motor is when the platter is first spun up. The motor will draw a bit more current than with the standard Technics platter to do this. There is no chance of it damaging the motor windings.

Once the platter is at it's rotational speed the current that is drawn will be little more than the standard Technics bearing & platter. The Mike New bearing may have a tad more friction than the Techie bearing but the heavier platter will act more like a flywheel so overall there will be very little extra current draw ;)

DSJR
31-10-2010, 18:47
I'd say no to that one, but the current weight of the MN platter *may* (and time will tell if this is true or not) in a minute sense adversely affect the motor control unit's ability to maintain the platter at precisely the correct speed, not likely in any measurable quantity, but one which could translate into an audible effect, hence why the platter I'm having made is significantly lighter.

Marco.

Oi Marco :lol:... Those "audible" differences would be easily measured, as are the effects of mats if anyone bothered to test them. The differences in mat composition ought to be regarded as part of the structure, as many decks "feed back" in different ways and at different frequencies. of course, really, one should have a proper reference to hand, so personal preferences don't come into the absolute subjective analysis. I'd recommend a well mastered CD (many of the better 50's jazz recordings sound great on CD I found) as a basic reference, just in case you think a major deviation is "better."

Marco
31-10-2010, 19:05
I'm sure that would be the case in terms of mats, Dave, but I'm not at all sure that the *very slight* detrimental sonic effect (due perhaps to excess mass) I heard with the MN platter in Martin's system would be measurable.

It'll be interesting to see whether the customised (lighter) platter I'm having made by Mike eradicates this.

Marco.

DSJR
31-10-2010, 19:53
You know, I'm going back to springy belt and cheapo idler drives - my expertise :lol: This direct drive thang is getting too hot for my delicate little piggies :D You don't have any difficulty with a BSR UA14 tracking at 10 grammes or so.............. :lolsign:

MartinT
01-11-2010, 08:47
I'm sure that would be the case in terms of mats, Dave, but I'm not at all sure that the *very slight* detrimental sonic effect (due perhaps to excess mass) I heard with the MN platter in Martin's system would be measurable.

The only detrimental effect I heard was with the Timestep PSU, about which we all agreed. With the SR5-21 I thought it sounded superb and rock-stable. To be honest, I don't think high mass can in any way affect the motor control circuit as it is analogue in operation, not digital. Once the platter is up to speed, the tiny corrections applied will hardly notice the difference in platter mass.

Marco
01-11-2010, 09:18
Hi Martin,

I largely agree. I did hear something though when we compared my T/T to yours (both with the SR5-21 PSU), when mine had the stock platter fitted and yours the Mike New, after the plastic components cover underneath the platter on mine had been removed, which really did make a HUGE difference!

Like I said though, the detrimental effect I heard with Mike's platter was a very subtle one. It'll be interesting comparing the two platters when Mike's done mine to see if it solves the 'problem' and identifies to both of us what I heard :)

Marco.

freem
01-11-2010, 09:51
Hi Martin,

I largely agree. I did hear something though when we compared my T/T to yours (both with the SR5-21 PSU), when mine had the stock platter fitted and yours the Mike New, after the plastic components cover underneath the platter on mine had been removed, which really did make a HUGE difference!

Like I said though, the detrimental effect I heard with Mike's platter was a very subtle one. It'll be interesting comparing the two platters when Mike's done mine to see if it solves the 'problem' and identifies to both of us what I heard :)

Marco.

Havn't heard about removing the plastic components cover before. More info please.

Marco
01-11-2010, 10:01
Hi Paul,

It's very easy... Simply pop off the platter and then unscrew the plastic components cover underneath, removing it completely, then pop the platter back on. The cover is only there to stop dust.

In Martin's system (and also mine at home) it made a significant improvement, sonically, to the performance of my T/T, although I haven't the faintest idea why! :scratch:

Marco.

freem
01-11-2010, 10:07
Hi Paul,

It's very easy... Simply pop off the platter and then unscrew the plastic components cover underneath, removing it completely, then pop the platter back on. The cover is only there to stop dust.

In Martin's system (and also mine at home) it made a significant improvement, sonically, to the performance of my T/T, although I haven't the faintest idea why! :scratch:

Marco.

Thanks Marco, will give that a try.

Marco
01-11-2010, 10:17
Please do, and report back with your findings :)

When we did it at Martin's place, Steve (Snoopdog) was also there, and all three of us heard the effect.

Marco.

chris@panteg
01-11-2010, 10:26
Hi Marco

When i installed my 309 ' i left the cover off ! partly because of what Martin said in his thread and also ' well WTH why not try it .

It sounds more open for some reason , don't know why :scratch: maybe some resonance creeping into the chassis ?.

A nice free tweek:)

Marco
01-11-2010, 10:38
Hi Chris,

More 'open' is what I got, too, with a perceived reduction of 'noise' and less of a 'muddled' quality to midrange detail.

TBH the difference with my T/T in Martin's system when I removed the plastic components cover was so marked, that it almost levelled the playing field between his deck and mine with the MN platter fitted to his!

I was shocked and stunned at this, as were Martin and Steve....

*But* the sonic advantages of the MN platter still shone through and were easily significant enough to warrant the cost of the upgrade.

Marco.

P.S I've been reading Mr Cawley's comments 'over the road' regarding the question you asked about cartridges. He's entitled to his opinion (and I largely agree about MCs), but he knows bugger all about the Nagaokas, and so any 'advice' he gives there cannot be relied upon. Also, he should refrain from commenting about my system, as he hasn't heard it, and so is making himself look like a tit! ;)

chris@panteg
01-11-2010, 11:06
Marco ' yeah i'm not sure about budget mc's to be honest , i took onboard what Guy said on this , and he rarely gets it wrong .

To be fair Dave said nothing about the Nag's ' but he shouldn't presume to much about your system .

I won't be going for an OC9 though ' i think it will be between the MP150/200 or DL304 depending on finances .

Marco
01-11-2010, 11:38
Hi Chris,

Marco ' yeah i'm not sure about budget mc's to be honest , i took onboard what Guy said on this , and he rarely gets it wrong.

Indeed. Guy's opinions on such matters can most certainly be relied upon. It's budget high output MCs, however, that are the real compromise, as the extra coil windings involved significantly degrade signal purity.

Budget low-output MCs, such as the DL-103R/SA or AT-33PTG, as you know can be made to sound very good indeed! ;)

To be fair Dave said nothing about the Nag's ' but he shouldn't presume to much about your system.

No, but it's what he implied. And yes, he certainly shouldn't presume too much about my system, as it just makes him look like he has a grudge and an axe to grind.

I could say much about his system (as I've heard it a few times), but I'm far too much of a gentleman :eyebrows:

I won't be going for an OC9 though ' i think it will be between the MP150/200 or DL304 depending on finances .

Well, I'm glad you brought up the subject of the DL-304, as I have to completely disagree with Mr Cawley's observations. I was shaking my head in disbelief when I read what he wrote! :rolleyes:

Chris, I know most Denon MCs like the back of my hand, as I've used most of them at one time or the other (including the DL-304) and I can tell you quite categorically that it sounds very little like the DL-103!

Yes, there is a 'family resemblance' in terms of the sweetness of tone in the midrange that is synonymous with Denon MCs, but there the similarity ends. The 304 quite simply doesn't have the sonic traits that make the 103 so renowned.

It has a much more refined and 'delicate' sound, majoring on fine detail retrieval and treble sparkle, which undoubtedly the 103 lacks in comparison, but it hasn't in any way got the drive and energy in the bass of the 103, which underpins music with such visceral authority (when set up and partnered properly), or its richness of tone that beguiles in the true analogue tradition.

It also has a significantly lower output of 0.18mV, as opposed to the 0.25mV of the DL-103, so you'll need a top-notch phono stage with plenty of gain to hear it properly. Preferably though, it needs an SUT, so ideally you'd need to factor the cost of one into the equation.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying that you wouldn't like the DL-304, as I think you might, but if you're simply looking for a ready-made replacement for the 103 in order to avoid having to deal with its low compliance, then it ain't gonna happen with a 304. Mr Cawley's saying what he is simply to get a sale and because he knows the margin he gets on Denons is very good - and I'm being totally serious here.

My advice would be to go for one of the Nagaokas, particularly the MP200, or find yourself an AT-33PTG from somewhere, as that would definitely hit the spot on your 309 - or if you want to buy something from Dave, then go for the AT-33EV:

http://www.soundhifi.com/Audio%20Technica%20AT33EV.html

*That* would undoubtedly fit the bill and would sound stunning on the end of your 309! :eek:

That's the best unbiased advice I can give you :cool:

Marco.

chris@panteg
01-11-2010, 12:18
Thanks for that Marco ' excellent advice and the 304 does sound interesting ' one thing about the 160 is its slightly plumb softish bass , which loading my trichord at 1k helps quite a bit ' 47k sounds too full .

The Techie has a very strong bass ' some say its too excessive so i would prefer a cart that is perhaps a touch lean .

I feel my Phono stage is more than good enough with a massive gain of 74db max ' i recently added the NCPSU to it and its a pretty serious performer , i decided against a Valve /sut approach as my system needs to be as compact and small as possible and the trichord has changed my mind about solid state phono stages ' one day i may get back into valves but its some years away .

The AT33ev is most tempting Marco but i'm not sure i am going to spend that much and have an open mind who i would buy from ' i need to make that clear .

Marco
01-11-2010, 12:31
Oh, I completely understand that - you'd be foolish not to. I'm simply giving you my unbiased advice, as I have extensive knowledge of these types of cartridges, but don't wear a dealer's hat! ;)

If your phono stage has enough gain, which seems to be the case, then you might like what the 304 does, but be prepared that it'll sound distinctly bass-light compared to your 160, not to mention the 103, so make sure that you don't over-egg the pudding...

Also don't be surprised either if the MP200 whips the 304's ass in all areas bar (absolute) high-frequency extension and clarity, which is more a trait of MC vs. MMs in general, than it is in terms of any deficiencies of the Nagaoka against the Denon :)

Marco.

chris@panteg
01-11-2010, 12:55
Thanks Marco

the MP200 is on my shortlist :)

Marco
01-11-2010, 13:24
Good move, Chris :)

I see that our friend Mr Cawley is backtracking now in terms of what he knows about my system...

Yes he's heard my turntable in his system (although not with the SPU and its matching SUT, which is a different ball game altogether compared to the 103SA).

However, he hasn't got a clue how the rest of the system sounds, especially when it's set up properly (with optimised mains, cables and stands) in my own room, which is where it needs to be judged properly, and not in a hotel room at Scalford Hall....

Anyway, I'll leave him to his (largely) ignorant 'opinions' on the matter! ;)

Marco.

bobp
01-11-2010, 19:28
These motor units were designed for the worst kind of DJ abuse out there and it's physical damage, rather than electrical overloading, that you ought to worry about when buying a used SL12**mk2 onwards. The Mike New bearing is a class apart from the already good standard article, so don't worry

Actually, Technics 1200MKII was designed for home use in another era when solid engineering was the norm, not expensive excess for the select few.

DJ crowd later adopted 1200 because of it's sturdy build quality, the same way Zippo was a civilian product adopted by the military because of the solid design.

1200MKII is often misrepresented as "DJ table". It was not designed to be one, the same way Timberland was not designed to be a Hip Hop apparel. It was adopted while already on the market.

Marco
01-11-2010, 19:48
How very true, Bob! :)

Marco.

DSJR
01-11-2010, 19:51
Bob, I don't remember the SL1200mk2, as we were selling Linn and Thorens at the time, followed by Rega, but i do remember its predecessors very well. Interesting that in the late 80's, clients would bring the 70's Techies in for new styli and/or cartridges and I wasn't the only one impressed with their sonics..;)

I know the 304 rather well, and Marco gets it pretty well spot on. To me, it's the moving coil equivalent of a Shure V15V, tracking delicately at one and a quarter grammes and LOVING a Rega RB series tonearm. Everything is there, but in a smaller-presented package. I'll leave the vibe up to you, as some might regard the 103 as powerful but "soft," unless into old restored Tannoys of course (:D).

One thing I would say is that even high output MC's have less tip mass than many older design of standard magnetic types, but it's the damping and body that can make a difference. IMO, the Sumiko BPS has a drive and precision lacking in the equivalent Dynavector 10XV for example. HiFi Dave tells me that the Sumiko Blackbird refines this without compromise.

Marco
01-11-2010, 20:00
Lol... There's nothing 'soft' about the way a 103 sounds when partnered properly, Dave!

Good point though about the high-output Sumikos - they are pretty good, although personally I find them rather 'hi-fi' sounding and soulless....

There's no doubt whatsoever that a 'proper' MC cartridge is a low-output one.

Marco.

MartinT
01-11-2010, 20:01
Also rather special as a high output MC is the Denon DL-160. It does a lot right and little wrong. Sad to see its recent demise.

My all-time favourite high output MC is the Dynavector 20A. I still have mine, should have it re-tipped one day.

Gerry
01-11-2010, 20:37
From what I've read an communications I've had with Dave Cawley I don't believe he knows a great deal about cartridges, let alone the ones he sells.

Marco sums up the 304 perfectly...and it definitely is no 103 in any guise (and I have a few!) It is much better suited to the lighter mass arms such as Rega without requiring the tuning a 103/103R require to get the best out of them. It is more tolerant of loading too.

On the T/S forum some one asked about the loading of cartridges. I gave a reply with some reasoning.

Meanwhile DC's useful (as usual one line vague) comments were:

It's mostly for the nightmare of Moving Magnet types? Anyone have any experiance?? [sic]

and then after my reply:

In the real world almost all MC's are happy with 100 ohms.

Obviously not much of a clue...certainly as a Shelter, Denon and AT dealer he should know. The AT33EV (I have one, bought in Japan for a fraction) does not like 100R...it sound very disappointing, but is very happy at 30-40R. A real revelation.

The Denon 103 & 103R like differing loads, by quite a margin, likewise the Shelter 501 (again I have one)..... I could go on!

TBH I haven't heard a Nagaoka since the 1980s so couldn't comment.
The AT33EV if loaded correctly is a gem. Benz Micro ACE is another worth looking at too.

Regards
Gerry

MartinT
01-11-2010, 20:41
The AT33EV (I have one, bought in Japan for a fraction) does not like 100R...it sound very disappointing, but is very happy at 30-40R. A real revelation.

That's interesting as my AT33PTG sounds fabulous with 184R loading into a SUT. I had rather thought that the PTG and EV were close in design and sound. Perhaps not.

Marco
01-11-2010, 20:46
Welcome back, Gerry. Please pop in as often as you can, as I always enjoy reading your erudite contributions - much has happened with AoS since you last visited! :)

From what I've read an communications I've had with Dave Cawley I don't believe he knows a great deal about cartridges, let alone the ones he sells.

:eyebrows:

I shouldn't laugh, but it would be rude not to!

Marco.

Gerry
01-11-2010, 20:47
Martin

I know, you've got CineMags as well.
I load mine slightly different (primary) so can dial in the loading as I wish. 20 is not bad 38R is fantastic and then 50 plus it tails off.

It maybe my ears though!:doh:

Regards
Gerry

Gerry
01-11-2010, 20:58
Welcome back, Gerry. Please pop in as often as you can, as I always enjoy reading your erudite contributions

Thanks Marco.

much has happened with AoS since you last visited! :)

So I see.

Not really surprised TBH. I all but left VE (along with a few others) b/c I couldn't take much more of the self promotion and one line non-committal and un-helpful answers to questions. What was fairly apparent is there was little understanding of electronics or how to fix problems when it came to Technics decks!

Regards
Gerry

pure sound
02-11-2010, 19:22
The newest batch of copper mats are being coated tomorrow.

Marco, do you not yet have the means to make needledrops of some of these things? It'd be interesting to hear which of the changes are clearly audible.

Marco
02-11-2010, 20:22
Nice one, Guy :)

Yes I do have the means to do needledrops, if not perhaps quite the knowledge or will.... *But* I'll see what I can do! ;)

Marco.

JazzBones
21-11-2010, 20:45
Had a sticky beak at the MundoAudioFilio forum wherein there is a beaut pic of the Oyaide and also one of the first impressions I've read about it although on a VPI. Don't know if anyone else has seen this, just mentioned it for picture value info for those who have not seen it. Very tempting and Marco is there anyway you can test drive this?

Ron

Marco
21-11-2010, 21:07
Hi Ron,

I've got one coming (with its matching clamp) on Tuesday :)

Then after I've audtioned the Oyaide thoroughly, I'll review and compare it with all the other mats I've used recently on the Techie (Herbie's, Achromat and copper mat) and announce the winner, before comparing it to my customised Mike New platter, due to arrive later in the week, so don't miss it! :cool:

Marco.

Alex_UK
21-11-2010, 21:22
I'll review and compare it with all the other mats I've used recently on the Techie (Herbie's, Achromat and copper mat) and announce the winner, before comparing it to my customised Mike New platter, due to arrive later in the week, so don't miss it!

Look forward to it, Marco - but just one thing for the assembled masses waiting with baited breath to remember - vastly different price-points with these contenders, and I don't want to assume anything with the results, but you could probably buy a decent 2nd hand SL12X0, Herbies Mat AND a half decent cart for the price of the Oyaide & Clamp, so everything in perspective... Of course, the Achromat may whip it's ass anyway, will be interesting to see - can't wait! :)

Marco
21-11-2010, 21:26
Indeed, and don't forget the copper mat, too (not exactly cheap either) ;)

It's been impressing me greatly the more I've used it and got a handle on what it's doing.

Marco.

tim_bissell
21-11-2010, 22:16
That's interesting as my AT33PTG sounds fabulous with 184R loading into a SUT. I had rather thought that the PTG and EV were close in design and sound. Perhaps not.

As a novice when it comes to loading, I'd like to ask how I'd add this loading to my phono preamp, which has parallel phono plugs with which to add resistance (and capacitance if necessary) - if my phono stage already has 470R (R = Ohms, right?) internal resistance, if you say 184R loading, does that mean adding 184R in parallel with the 470R, or adding such resistance as is necessary to bring the total down to 184R , e.g. using 184R = 1 /((1 / 470R) + (1 / xR))

thanks for any help,

Tim

P.S. I appreciate these values are not hard and fast, but I have an AT33PTG so I'd like to try!

MartinT
21-11-2010, 23:19
Hi Tim

Are you sure your phono amp has 470R internal loading built-in? That would be unusual if it can accommodate external loading plugs.

Assuming you're right, to achieve 184R total loading will require 1 / 0.0054 - 0.0021 = 302R or 300R in nearest standard resistor value. Sensitivity should be around 60-65dB.

JazzBones
22-11-2010, 00:20
Hi Ron,

I've got one coming (with its matching clamp) on Tuesday :)

Then after I've audtioned the Oyaide thoroughly, I'll review and compare it with all the other mats I've used recently on the Techie (Herbie's, Achromat and copper mat) and announce the winner, before comparing it to my customised Mike New platter, due to arrive later in the week, so don't miss it! :cool:

Marco.

'lo Marco,
I believe that Origin Live have a mat that is reputed to be good. Its thin, black and smells of rubber thats all I know about it and I am given to understand, price point is circa £40.00p how it sounds, if mats can have a sound of their own (?), is unkown to me as I haven't seen one. Know anything about this one? I guess its another contender to scratch the old bonce about:scratch:

Glad you're there to platter run these trials as buying mats gets expensive after awhile and from now onwards I'm putting the money towards an Expert Stylus overhaul of my Koetsu Black, should sound good on a Jelco 750D me thinks;)

Appreciate the work your doing on our behalf mate,
Ron

JazzBones
22-11-2010, 00:22
PS: I have a feeling it might behave like Herbie's mat?

Ron

colinB
22-11-2010, 00:31
I have my doubts. It looks to thin to dampen the platter.

Tarzan
22-11-2010, 21:25
Look forward to the comparison Marco!