PDA

View Full Version : Windows compatability?

Reid Malenfant
30-10-2010, 18:24
Hi guys & gurlz :eyebrows:

I have a very nice 4 channel oscilloscope that happens to have some extra features built into it & i'm wondering if i can make use of them :scratch:

The scope is a Fluke PM3384A & it has some options fitted that allow it to be connected to a PC via an RS232 interface. I also have a floppy that has this program on it to allow the PC to receive data from the scope & in conjunction with the PC act as a spectrum analyser :smoking:

The thing is is that the floppy was written to be used with Win 3.11 as far as i can remember, i have an external floppy drive so loading it isn't a problem.

Is it likely to work on XP Pro?

Any help or opinions very much appreciated :)

Macca
30-10-2010, 20:48
Hi guys & gurlz :eyebrows:

I have a very nice 4 channel oscilloscope that happens to have some extra features built into it & i'm wondering if i can make use of them :scratch:

The scope is a Fluke PM3384A & it has some options fitted that allow it to be connected to a PC via an RS232 interface. I also have a floppy that has this program on it to allow the PC to receive data from the scope & in conjunction with the PC act as a spectrum analyser :smoking:

The thing is is that the floppy was written to be used with Win 3.11 as far as i can remember, i have an external floppy drive so loading it isn't a problem.

Is it likely to work on XP Pro?

Any help or opinions very much appreciated :)

I reckon no - I had similar issue with a game program that was designed for an older windows version (can't remember which one) and wouldn't run on xp pro. Consulted a pal who knows everything there is to know on the subject (£500 a day if you want to hire him) and he advised that it would be possible to load the old Windows version onto my PC in addition to XP pro and select between them on boot up. I never bothered but it's a potential solution

spendorman
30-10-2010, 21:12
What about Windows XP compatibility mode?

I managed to get several very old programs to work like this.

Macca
30-10-2010, 21:19
What about Windows XP compatibility mode?

I managed to get several very old programs to work like this.

Forgot about that - tried it with my issue but didn't work - but might work in this situation

Grez
31-10-2010, 14:10
Do you have the old windows and DOS disks?

If so, your solution will be neatly provided by VirtualBox. (google it).

What it does is sets up a Virtual Machine in your Operating system, inside which you can install any operating system of your liking.

I used it to get Windows XP working inside my Linux computer so that my daughter's iPod touch would work with the computer.

It's good!

aquapiranha
31-10-2010, 15:10
Forget messing about. Get in touch with Fluke and ask them, if you haven't done so already?

Reid Malenfant
31-10-2010, 16:04
Thanks for the replies everyone :)

Forget messing about. Get in touch with Fluke and ask them, if you haven't done so already?
Why doesn't the obvious ever occur to the person seeking the answer :doh:

Cheers Steve, i'll see about it some time this coming week ;)