PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic officially announces Technics production to end 2010

alfie2902
29-10-2010, 13:39
Seems the end is nigh for the Technics SL-1200 and Technics SL-1210 turntables. :(

http://gizmodo.com/5675818/end-of-an-era-panasonic-kills-off-technics-turntables

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=has9uecab&v=001TEa7HUw8hRH3byB5HbypACFOQJ0ekFF_qg8fxNZ99YKXC 3v8VNKS0fvuCHlO6aIcOY0PrhlfPIYFLdyGla8DvZovNZnF8Zo HR5wqOXDnFrs%3D

Sad news & the end of an era. Values might just well go up though chaps! :eyebrows:

Spectral Morn
29-10-2010, 15:12
:(

Lodgesound
29-10-2010, 15:23
Sadly going the way of all hardware playback machinery now emulated in computer software just as audio and video tape machines are now more or less extinct from a manufacturing standpoint.

Prices will inevitably rise as they become more collectible but there must be literally hundreds of thousands of these decks out in the world now....

Alex_UK
29-10-2010, 16:36
Prices will inevitably rise as they become more collectible but there must be literally hundreds of thousands of these decks out in the world now....

Since 1972, more than 3 million units have been sold. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_SL-1200) (if you believe Wikipedia)

Spectral Morn
29-10-2010, 16:43
Since 1972, more than 3 million units have been sold. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_SL-1200) (if you believe Wikipedia)

Interesting article, even mentions the modification side of things. Must say I did not know about a MK6 Technics.

Regards D S D L

DSJR
29-10-2010, 17:43
Thank heavens for that ;)

Perhaps some of you will now discover the joys of belt/string/cord/cotton drives and the potentially superior isolation of a properly suspended sub chassis :D

Marco
29-10-2010, 18:26
Hi Alfie,

Seems the end is nigh for the Technics SL-1200 and Technics SL-1210 turntables.

http://gizmodo.com/5675818/end-of-an-era-panasonic-kills-off-technics-turntables

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=has9uecab&v=001TEa7HUw8hRH3byB5HbypACFOQJ0ekFF_qg8fxNZ99YKXC 3v8VNKS0fvuCHlO6aIcOY0PrhlfPIYFLdyGla8DvZovNZnF8Zo HR5wqOXDnFrs%3D

Sad news & the end of an era. Values might just well go up though chaps!

These stories (which is precisely what they are) crop up now and then. Someone started a thread last year, showing very similar links, and of course SL-1200s and 1210s have since continued to be produced and sold in large quantities! ;)

Therefore, as I've said before, I'll believe that they've been discontinued when I see *actual evidence*!!

Marco.

Beechwoods
29-10-2010, 18:26
Shit. I guess I better get one before the price goes up. They'll be priced like Garrards in 20 years' time!

DSJR
29-10-2010, 20:00
TBH, I doubt they'll stop them just yet. I was led to believe they were made in large batches, not continuously as lower-scale production is. Last I heard, Matsushita were just trimming the options a bit, rather than stopping the 12** series altogether.

Does anyone know how the vinyl DJ lot are doing? It's they who'll decide the Techie's fate, together with the remaining Shure, Stanton, ortofon et al cartridge ranges made for them (and a few of us).

Epicurus
29-10-2010, 21:55
Actually, the article says that the Mk6 version is discontinued, while the others remain in production as always. Hmmm... The dealer here in Greece had told me a few months ago that the M5G was no longer in production, but the Mk2 and the Mk5 are always available.

michaelhigh
03-11-2010, 01:33
Shit. I guess I better get one before the price goes up. They'll be priced like Garrards in 20 years' time!

This is what fuels sales, and they well know it. That said, I'd like one for that and various other reasons, ie they sound great!!!

Haselsh1
03-11-2010, 20:40
Catch it whilst it's hot...!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/nov/02/technics-turn-tables-sl-1200

Epicurus
03-11-2010, 22:42
Somebody please put this thread out of its misery... Technics is just discontinuing one version of the SL-1200, as we already saw.

Marco
04-11-2010, 00:33
I like what Mr Scruff said in Shaun's link:

There are a lot of modern DJs and producers – people like Floating Point and Mala from DMZ – who play exclusively on vinyl. You've got a new breed of people who are vehemently pro-turntable and wouldn't be seen dead with a CD, never mind an MP3. It's a funny one: for every indicator that vinyl is on the wane, there'll be another generation of kids who are buying it again, or kids who are a bit sick of having a computer full of anonymous MP3s.

If you face facts, vinyl still sounds a lot better than CD or digital. If you listen to a lot of modern music like dubstep many times on CD – a lot of the UK funky stuff, a lot of harsh, very bottom-heavy, very percussive, very dynamic music – it sounds quite brittle and two-dimensional. You cut the same thing on to vinyl and, when you listen to it in a club, the bass has real depth to it. It's not like a flat wall of sound that's beating you down, it's almost like you can "get inside" the music a lot better.

There's some erudite insight there!

Marco.

Haselsh1
04-11-2010, 09:08
You know I say this over and over again; it's the same with a thin, insubstantial digital facsimile of a photograph. A true photograph has astonishing depth and delicacy whereas a digital print has nothing. Vinyl playback is exactly the same... so why am I getting rid of my vinyl collection...? Watch this space.

DSJR
04-11-2010, 09:13
So you take a thin, digital facsimile, cut it onto vinyl and all of a sudden it's listenable again..

Seems like vinyl is adding its own character (it is, very muchly).

Raw truth hurts fella's. Change your speakers for something better designed and it's amazing how much better "digital" sounds...

Marco
04-11-2010, 09:15
Don't talk shite, shweety! ;)

Marco.

chris@panteg
04-11-2010, 10:14
So you take a thin, digital facsimile, cut it onto vinyl and all of a sudden it's listenable again..

Seems like vinyl is adding its own character (it is, very muchly).

Raw truth hurts fella's. Change your speakers for something better designed and it's amazing how much better "digital" sounds...

At the risk of getting a kicking:) i'm going to side with Dave here.

CD sounds better in my current system than my old high end Triode set up using the Snell's ' why ? i think its because that system was designed to sound best with a TT and not much else , CD was almost unlistenable though it was only a Marrantz CD67 OSE but even an £8,000 wadia i tried failed to blow my Skirt up:rolleyes:.

Still it could be argued my CA740a has been tuned to sound best with CD but i just think its very neutral , just don't call me sweety ! .

Marco
04-11-2010, 10:30
Lol - TBH, Chris, it was this which Dave wrote that my "shite" remark was aimed at:

So I should ditch my utterly superb, upgraded, Lockwoods and buy what exactly??

Altogether now.............. {COUGH}

BULLSHIT!

:lol: :lol:

And anyway, I'm not saying digital is bad - far from it, my Sony CDP sounds bloody amazing, but the Techie STILL trounces it, when fed really well produced vinyl, pure and simple!

Marco.

chris@panteg
04-11-2010, 10:58
Lol Marco

Don't get rid of your wardrobe's ' sorry Lockwoods:eyebrows: grating sorry great speakers :)

Just kidding no seriously fantastic ':) i say don't buy speakers to cover up any CD nasties:scratch:

Marco
04-11-2010, 11:17
Hehehehe... Indeed.

"Wardrobes" (and indeed other other similarly sized quality speakers) rule! :eyebrows:

Marco.

DSJR
04-11-2010, 11:39
Lol Marco

Don't get rid of your wardrobe's ' sorry Lockwoods:eyebrows: grating sorry great speakers :)

Just kidding no seriously fantastic ':) i say don't buy speakers to cover up any CD nasties:scratch:

Actually, that's not the case at all. So many passive speaker systems out there have serious nasties in their crossovers, personal experience, not hearsay, and the more dynamic treble energy in master recordings as well as CD's made from them can really be an issue. Small active "Pro-Monitors" could also sound incredibly assertive in an attempt to reproduce "DEEEEETAIL," and this makes for a very fatiguing listen.

Seriously, I appreciate Marco knows something about what I'm trying to say, as he owned Spendor SP100's for a good while on his journey. By all accounts, the Harbeth 40.1's take this concept considerably further and indeed Spendor have done some tweaks to the SP100's too. The thing is, The 40.1's Croft driven (in my case), have a wonderful transparency, the natural and totally unforced vocals and acoustic instruments sitting in a lovely sound-field on a good recording - and this with a Naim CDX2 player, hardly the last word in digital refinement (or anything else for that matter :lol:).

No, the "problems" that audiophools have with Red Book digital are almost certainly not in the source and to a large extent this is provable too. Just get an amp/speaker combination allowing wide dynamic range without nasties when pushed and with a proper design of crossover (if passive) and 90% of the digital nasties will disappear.

The other thing is, that speakers like the aforementioned Harbeths, Quad ESL's and big ATC's also sound fantastic on a good LP setup as well, so one isn't tailoring a speaker balance of compromises to favour one format over another.

One day soon, I'll drag Alex UK over to HiFi dave's for "conversion" :D He may then also be able to explain what I'm going on about. Hearing a good, seamless speaker that isn't going nuts when pushed too hard is a life-changing experience.

P.S. I've deliberately not mentioned Marco's "Rabbit Hutches" because they're not really a "real world" case. Spendor "Classic" and Harbeth "anything" can be auditioned in a small number of cases (maybe not Sevenoaks or Audio T though)...

Alex_UK
04-11-2010, 11:44
so why am I getting rid of my vinyl collection...? Watch this space.

You little tease! ;)

Chucking my hat in on the Mr. Scruff article, I think you also have to remember that he was specifically talking about a club, not at home - I'm sure the requirements are entirely different, with bass being "sucked up" by all the bodies, furnishings etc.

Marco
04-11-2010, 11:52
P.S. I've deliberately not mentioned Marco's "Rabbit Hutches" because they're not really a "real world" case.

Indeed, that's absolutely true - and neither is the rest of my system, thank God! :eyebrows:

Marco (who will always push the boundaries with audio and NEVER be part of the herd) ;)

Marco
04-11-2010, 11:53
Hi Alex,

Chucking my hat in on the Mr. Scruff article, I think you also have to remember that he was specifically talking about a club, not at home - I'm sure the requirements are entirely different, with bass being "sucked up" by all the bodies, furnishings etc.

Absoultely! But I know exactly what he means by 'getting inside the music' with vinyl in a way which just doesn't happen to the same extent with CD... :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
04-11-2010, 11:58
I like what Mr Scruff said in Shaun's link:

There's some erudite insight there!

Marco.

Great Guy Marco

You should have a listen to Trouser Jazz or the Mrs Scruff albums....lovely :)

He also uses Isonoe isolation on his Technics decks.

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
04-11-2010, 12:03
Absoultely! But I know exactly what he means by 'getting inside the music' with vinyl in a way which just doesn't happen to the same extent with CD... :)

I think we've been here (or hereabouts!) before, haven't we?! :eyebrows: I certainly don't think in my system I'm any less "getting inside the music" with CD than I am vinyl, but perhaps it just means I need a better turntable and you need a better CD player! :lol:

;)

Marco
04-11-2010, 12:04
Hi Neil,

Indeed - I've got some of his albums :)

Didn't know he used Isonoes, though! :respect:

Marco.

Marco
04-11-2010, 12:08
I think we've been here (or hereabouts!) before, haven't we?! I certainly don't think in my system I'm any less "getting inside the music" with CD than I am vinyl, but perhaps it just means I need a better turntable and you need a better CD player!

Lol, Alex, I was talking about from my point of view, not making a definitive statement...... And perhaps we just have different benchmarks in that respect? ;)

You really must pop round sometime (drinks and munchies on me) and you'll hear exactly where I'm coming from :cool:

I *know* what Mr Scruff was getting at, so I'll just leave it there.

Marco.

Alex_UK
04-11-2010, 12:19
Lol, Alex, I was talking about from my point of view, not making a definitive statement...... And perhaps we just have different benchmarks in that respect? ;)

You really must pop round sometime (drinks and munchies on me) and you'll hear exactly where I'm coming from :cool:

I *know* exactly what Mr Scruff was referring to, so I'll just leave it there.

Marco.

Yes, let's not start that one again!

I would love to visit sometime, it would be great to meet you and Del and the wardrobes, but as you're not exactly round the corner (and it will be a solo visit as I can't afford the damage Avatar would likely do!) it will probably be when I have to travel somewhere your way for business, which isn't often but there is a possibility I will be looking after some different offices in the future, one of which is only about 90 miles from you. Hopefully one day! I shall bring a decent bottle or 3!

Marco
04-11-2010, 12:28
No problem, Alex - anytime! Just let me know when you're in the area :)

Hey, I'll even give you special access to all the little things in my secret cupboard - just don't dare steal any of my Louis Vuitton handbags, you biatch................! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Alex_UK
04-11-2010, 12:34
Hey, I'll even give you special access to all the little things in my secret cupboard

Um, look forward to it... :eek:

just don't dare steal any of my Louis Vuitton handbags, you biatch................! :eyebrows:

No worries there, I'm much more a Jimmy Choo kind of a gal! :eyebrows:

chris@panteg
30-11-2010, 10:15
Dave Cawley ' over on his site has stated its official ? i just had a look at Decks UK one of the major suppliers and the SL1200 mk2 is listed as discontinued with the 1210 still in stock , but the MK5G as £1200 so only a few of those left:eek:.

The price on ebay is about to go up i suspect

mike1210
01-12-2010, 17:51
Yeah was just looking at this, will be a big shame if they stop it. I am tempted to buy another:scratch:

Techno Commander
01-12-2010, 21:05
MkII's are still available here (http://www.thomann.de/gb/technics_sl_1210.htm).
Also in Silver (http://www.thomann.de/gb/technics_sl1200_mk_ii_silver.htm).

DSJR
02-12-2010, 09:19
It would appear from my discussions on the Timestep forum and my subsequent re-reading of the original Dias review, that the smaller NAS decks have one achiles heel, that being the butt-jointed drive belt. The poster I was engaged with found that his then Spacedeck/Wave Mechanic had the tiniest amount of linear wow, which spoiled his total enjoyment of sustained piano notes. The old Dias, with similar belt, did the same, although "dynamic wow" on both was never an issue. With the current NAS models, the platter gets heavier (and the frame and bearing beefed up to cope) as you go up the range and any remaining vestiges of linear wow would be absorbed in the sheer rotating mass of the Hyperspace, new Dias etc. platters.

By the way, Mr Cawley on Timestep appears to have confirmed that the SL1200/1210 in ALL its forms has now been discontinued :(

chris@panteg
02-12-2010, 09:24
There are some still for sale ' but once their gone ! have you seen the price of MK5G's :eek: .

Buy one if you can ' in a few years NOS will go for mega money , i do believe this time its not some rumour :(

Marco
02-12-2010, 09:33
There are some still for sale ' but once their gone ! have you seen the price of MK5G's

£800 or so, innit? Interesting... I only paid £550 for mine, brand new, two and a half years ago.

Again, like I've said before, I'll believe the rumours when I see a worldwide discontinuation. Even if that is the case, there'll still be 1000s of them available to buy on the second-hand market, so there's no real panic - and of course we've already got ours!

The modifying of the Techie will carry on regardless, and we on AoS will continue to be at the forefront :)

Marco.

MCRU
02-12-2010, 09:54
There is no real reason for them to manufacture a TT is there as we are in the minority compared to the millions of people who use crappy MP3 downloads on their i-pods etc, etc. Unless the big players can shift zillions of any particular product there is no reason for them to carry on selling it which is a pity as the SL's are classics no question about that.

colinB
02-12-2010, 10:05
All those big super star djs use mp3 now. Only a few kids going to Dubstep clubs will be using SL1200s. Think of the amount sold in the 90s compared with today. When you look at the Panasonic Technics web site you can see videos of the TTs being manufactured and it looks like an industrial labour intensive production line. They even mold their own rubber there. It cant be cost effective.

chris@panteg
02-12-2010, 10:17
£800 or so, innit? Interesting... I only paid £550 for mine, brand new, two and a half years ago.

Again, like I've said before, I'll believe the rumours when I see a worldwide discontinuation. Even if that is the case, there'll still be 1000s of them available to buy on the second-hand market, so there's no real panic - and of course we've already got ours!

The modifying of the Techie will carry on regardless, and we on AoS will continue to be at the forefront :)

Marco.

Hi Marco

MK5G's are now going for £1200 !

One of the reasons production is ceasing acording to Panasonic ' are some of the critical component suppliers have gone out of buisiness ,and to source a new supplier is almost impossible .

Marco
02-12-2010, 10:25
Ah, that's interesting (the latter), if it's true....

Again though, I'm reluctant to give this 'rumour' any more length than it deserves until I see some actual evidence, such an official announcement from National Panasonic. I suspect it's more likely that the MK5G has now been discontinued along with the MK6, and that the more popular MK2 (which is the one everyone modifies, anyway) will continue being produced for some time yet.

My comment regarding the cost of the MK5G was in reference to how much they were selling for before they were discontinued, which I believe was around £799. This is interesting because only a couple of years ago I got mine brand new for £550, so why the huge price increase, I wonder? Inflation hasn't been that bad! :scratch:

chris@panteg
02-12-2010, 11:06
fair enough Marco

So what i've done is contacted Panasonic directly :) and also Decks uk ' who are one of the main supplier's here in the UK .

The thing is Marco if you take a look at Decks uk site ! it clearly states

SL1200MK2 ' Discontinued '

SL1210MK2 ' Limited stock' buy it now

SL1210MK5G £1199

I can't see these guy's bullshitting about can you ?

Marco
02-12-2010, 11:30
Nope, therefore I retract my previous remarks and will edit them accordingly. I always do what's right and fair :)

Why couldn't he have just said that though (and provided the relevant info like you have), rather than simply saying "trust me"? He's always so cagey and cryptic about things, which is why people are suspicious.......

When those types of claims are made they should always be supported by EVIDENCE. I don't 'do' rumours!

Marco.

chris@panteg
02-12-2010, 11:39
I know what you mean Marco , and i can understand why that would drive you up the wall , i'm afraid i sometimes do the same thing with my dear wifey ! you know when she wants something done and i sort of don't want to :eyebrows:.

Still there are around 3 million of these things around the globe , but if anyone is into speculating and looking to make a fast buck ! buy one now and keep it sealed in the box , but i don't condone this sort of action mind :rolleyes:

Marco
02-12-2010, 11:59
Hi Chris,

I know what you mean Marco , and i can understand why that would drive you up the wall...

Too right it did - and I'm not alone. That's precisely why he and I used to clash on here, because I'm the type who likes people to 'spit out' exactly what they're getting at, rather than cloak things in a shroud of mystery!

However, he can also be accommodating when he wants to be.

I read the thread on his site, and Dave's remarks therein, and could see no evidence of his claims, so rather than further the 'Chinese whispers', I decided to resolve the issue here ;)

Still there are around 3 million of these things around the globe , but if anyone is into speculating and looking to make a fast buck ! buy one now and keep it sealed in the box , but i don't condone this sort of action mind :rolleyes:

Indeed. Each to their own, but I'm not in this game to make money (if I were, AoS would be plastered full of adverts).

I'm an audio enthusiast who just wants to hear his favourite music reproduced to the highest standards, but good luck to those who see an opportunity to make some dosh, honestly - I've got nothing against that :)

Marco.

Marco
02-12-2010, 13:33
Any idea WHY EXACTLY a MK5G is now £1200? I had a look, as you said:

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/decks?man=4053

My deck, which is identical to the one shown on the website, only cost me £550, just over two years ago!

Is it a case that they've just bumped up the price because the SL-1200 series has been discontinued?

If so, that's bloody outrageous!! :steam:

Marco.

mike1210
02-12-2010, 15:12
Just to add I had my vinyl from Juno this week and in the package was a leaflet of xmas deals etc. Reading the description of the Stanton deck it states "and Technics discontinuing their 1200 series"

drrd
02-12-2010, 15:29
My mkII from Amazon.co.uk in Feb this year, BNISB incl. courier delivery was £340. I kept a look out for another just as a stand-by but only seen them from third party sellers since.

MCRU
02-12-2010, 15:52
Chinese whispers can be quite dangerous and sometimes damaging, the Mk5 is the latest Technics TT and it is not being ceased, anyone using false information to elicit business should be cautioned most strongly!

Whilst on that very subject I am glad to report that I was so enthused by the analogue aspect of this forum coupled with the enthusiasm of the site owner towards the SL120/1210 that I have managed to procure one from a good friend, a Mk2 as well!

Moko
02-12-2010, 16:18
The reason they are so much more expensive is that the £ has virtually halved in value against the Yen over the last two years.

Though god knows why the japanese national debt makes ours look like small change.

Sketchy
02-12-2010, 21:23
well apparently its true >> http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=13154

they say it is mainly due to parts availability which kinda sounds like a reasonable excuse.

as for the DJ's, the kids use .mp3's and the oldies use .wav's

BUT there is a saving grace, traktor uses a time coded vinyl (or CD) so you use your decks to control the music and mix with decks even though you are actually playing digital media.

so there will still be a long list of new kids wanting to get into DJing and wanting a pair of technics to do it propperly (albeit with time coded vinyl)

I would love to play vinyl but the sad truth is now there is lots and lots of music that simply isn't released on vinyl, so to do the vinyl hero bit you wont get to play the new tracks and will have overall a very limited choice, there are one or two labels that have switched back though and are now vinyl only, another has gone further and releases some albums on cassette tape only.

I have 4 technics decks at the moment, 2 barely used 1210's (MK2) and a pair of SL-1200GLD, I might sell the 1210's though as I have not even turned them on for over 2 years, in fact I only use 1 of the 1200GLD but ill be taking them both to the grave with me :) that is unless they rocket to silly prices.

edit to add - the reason some record labels are going the vinyl only route is nothing to do with sound etc, its to do with piracy, unfortunately.

kininigin
02-12-2010, 21:52
well apparently its true >> http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=13154

they say it is mainly due to parts availability which kinda sounds like a reasonable excuse.

as for the DJ's, the kids use .mp3's and the oldies use .wav's

BUT there is a saving grace, traktor uses a time coded vinyl (or CD) so you use your decks to control the music and mix with decks even though you are actually playing digital media.

so there will still be a long list of new kids wanting to get into DJing and wanting a pair of technics to do it propperly (albeit with time coded vinyl)

I would love to play vinyl but the sad truth is now there is lots and lots of music that simply isn't released on vinyl, so to do the vinyl hero bit you wont get to play the new tracks and will have overall a very limited choice, there are one or two labels that have switched back though and are now vinyl only, another has gone further and releases some albums on cassette tape only.

I have 4 technics decks at the moment, 2 barely used 1210's (MK2) and a pair of SL-1200GLD, I might sell the 1210's though as I have not even turned them on for over 2 years, in fact I only use 1 of the 1200GLD but ill be taking them both to the grave with me :) that is unless they rocket to silly prices.

edit to add - the reason some record labels are going the vinyl only route is nothing to do with sound etc, its to do with piracy, unfortunately.

hi sketchy,if you are considering selling a couple of 12's i would be interested.

i lived in hereford for about 15yrs and visit every now and again to see friends so could collect as well.

me and my bruv have an urge to mix again.

Sketchy
02-12-2010, 22:30
Darren, I tried to send a PM but dont think it went, email me if you want, gary (at) hislaptop.com

adventuresinhifiaudio.com
02-12-2010, 23:23
I have emailed Panasonic for the full story and hope to have a reply soon.

Regards Neil

Marco
02-12-2010, 23:35
Nice one, Neil.

Gary, some interesting insight there - I shall comment more later :)

Marco.

Sketchy
03-12-2010, 00:18
from the serious DJ's perspective its all about playing music that is great but nobody else has.

if you have the best tracks first people will notice and that equals more bookings etc.

I get no promos sent on vinyl now, not had one for over 6 months, and that was one with another 4 months without any before it.

its all digital now but that does have some benefits if you are on the ball with technology.

as a example, this kid posted a link to a track he did on a forum in america that I read, it was about midday saturday and I had a gig that evening 4 hours drive from home, the track was awesome, I asked if I could have a full quality copy and later that day he sent it over, I grabbed the track on the hotel wifi at about 8:30pm and played it in the club at 2:45am, all the big name DJ's who play the kind of music I play (which is odd beeps and techno electronica) where playing that track 3-6 months after I played it.

that kind of thing will never be possible with vinyl unless you had your own press and carried it everywhere to all gigs (not going to happen)

I took a few years out when the whole CDJ revolution started and ill admit I bought some technics cd decks a couple of years ago when I got back into it but I didnt really like it at all and the industry standard was panasonic CDJ's which I really didnt enjoy mixing with (could do it just didnt enjoy it) so I sold the CDJ's about 6 months after buying them.

I prefer vinyl and I dont know why but I get a sense of satisfaction listening to records that I dont think i will ever get from clicking the mouse in my itunes library, the problem I have is most of the great new music I enjoy will never be out on vinyl, some of it does get released like 6 months a year later but thats not as interesting as new unplayed tracks that most people have never heard, no serious dj wants to play a night of last years music.

chris@panteg
03-12-2010, 01:27
I got a reply from Decks uk and here it is '

Chris,

I'm sorry to say that Panasonic have decided to discontinue the Technics SL range of turntables, however, we have managed to secure the last few SL1210's in Europe. Should you wish to order these, please don't hesitate to contact me.
--

Many thanks

Brandon Akal

Decks UK

mike1210
03-12-2010, 17:59
for info Juno have 11 mk2's in stock at £599. I wanted a mk5g but it would seem only decks uk have them for £1199 and I didn't want to pay that much:(

Techno Commander
03-12-2010, 18:51
all the big name DJ's who play the kind of music I play (which is odd beeps and techno electronica)

Any chance of a listen to one of your sets?
I like well mixed Techno. :)

DSJR
03-12-2010, 18:53
SoundHifi supposedly sourced the last few...

Sketchy
03-12-2010, 19:00
Any chance of a listen to one of your sets?
I like well mixed Techno. :)

heres one, bit of everything in there

http://garywerbisky.podomatic.com/enclosure/2009-01-13T03_29_06-08_00.mp3

kininigin
03-12-2010, 19:13
heres one, bit of everything in there

http://garywerbisky.podomatic.com/enclosure/2009-01-13T03_29_06-08_00.mp3

you have pm

chris@panteg
07-12-2010, 11:50
Just to confuse everyone a bit more ' i found this on the VE

I have just got the following email from Panasonic UK

"ISSUE RESOLUTION: Dear Mr xxxx,

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry.

In response, I would explain that as a major global business, Panasonic keeps all of its operations under constant review. However, there are no current plans to discontinue the Technics brand and the production of Technics turntables

We trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0844 844 3852 or email us using the following email address:

customer.care@panasonic.co.uk

Kind regards
Mark Solesbury
Customer Communications Centre
Panasonic UK Ltd

Somebody is telling porkies methinks if the above email is 100% then i would certainly believe Panasonic than what anybody else say's .

And to add i met Richard of Vantage Audio last saturday (servicing my SLQL1) and he thinks its all bollocks , his take on it is ' they make them in batches and what's happening is Panasonic is reducing the output so there will be shortages in the short term , but not discontinuing altogether ! .

DSJR
07-12-2010, 13:01
I was also told thathe 1200 series was made in batches every six months or so, as the lines are used for other products in the meantime.

I hope the above is correct and a certain person hasn't been telling porkies to get us going......

Marco
08-12-2010, 14:35
Oh FFS, what did I say about Dodgy Dave before, and was forced to retract?? :doh:

I think it's high time someone on his site asked him to spill the beans as to who his source is and INSIST that they get a proper and credible answer!!!

Especially after the blather he wrote there about 'the buck stopping with him', and 'I am the main man', or some sort of BULLSHITE to that effect! The guy's got serious delusions of grandeur.

However, I think someone should email Mark at Panasonic and ask him why the likes of Decks UK have the SL-1200 marked as "Discontinued" :scratch:

Marco (who detests rumour-mongering with a passion).

mike1210
08-12-2010, 15:20
Yes my experience last week when trying to find a MK5G was only Decks UK had them (at a rather large cost) even though several websites listed them as "in stock". When I phoned around at least 3 comapines (Juno was one of them) said they have been discontinued and some other compies were not aware of this. And finally

http://www.decks.co.uk/technics_homepage

adventuresinhifiaudio.com
08-12-2010, 15:59
This is a copy of the second Email I have sent to Panasonic re the uncertainty that surrounds the future of the Technics turntables. Hopefully this Email will be replied to.....

To

Mark Solesbury
Panasonic UK Ltd

Hi Mark as you may or may not be aware there is currently a great number of rumours spreading about the internet in regards to the total discontinuation of all versions of the Technics 1200 and 1210 turntables.

I am the owner editor and reviewer for Adventures in High Fidelity Audio an online audio magazine and I am currently involved in doing a Technics related article review and I don't want to publish anything which is untrue, so please can you clarify the state of play in regards to these products. Are all versions of the 1210/1210 about to be discontinued or have they already been discontinued ? If only a few models are to be discontinued can you say which ones ?

I would appreciate any help you can give on this matter and permission to quote from your reply.

Here is a link to Adventures in High Fidelity Audio www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com where you can have a look at the magazine

Regards Neil

If I have to I will ring him as frankly all this uncertainty is not good for anyone, Panasonic/Technics, sellers of the products, commercial modifiers, audio/DJ customers.

A lot of reputations are on the line here (including Panasonic/Technics) and guess work is of little use. Actual facts from Panasonic are required to clear this up.

So until someone can obtain these facts can I suggest those commenting hold of saying anything else which is only based on rumour and guess work. Perpetrating rumours is not a good idea.

Regards Neil

Marco
08-12-2010, 16:31
Well done, Neil :clap:

Now we'll cut through the bullshit and find out the truth!! Please keep us updated on the situation :)

If DC is at it, he'll be hearing all about it................!!

Marco.

Sketchy
08-12-2010, 17:52
of course these decks will be made in batches on a production run, then that line is swapped around to make a batch of something else, thats how any large scale electronics assebly line works, we use to get charged per hour per line, then its switched for somone else.

its only the new fad type things that are 24/7 like ipads or playstations when they are first out, but even they drop to batches to keep the lines assembling things and inventory to a "just a bit more than is needed" kinda level.

Im confident panasonic/technics have no more plans to mass produce 1210's as their mass market was bedroom DJ's and ravers who wanted to mix.

that market is no longer around at all, the people who still use vinyl for DJing (a very small minority) already have decks and these things never break even if highly abused.

all the new bedroom dj's are mixing using traktor (most not using any input device) or ableton live on their computers, mixing on records was a artform that not just anyone could do, thats not the case with computers so there is no reason people will want to take up mixing on decks when its much easier and cheaper to do it on their computer.

you can use traktor with final scratch and beatmatch the tracks using either turntables or CDs but most of the kids aint doing this, some are and they will want technics TT's as their decks of choice.

I do half expect one last ltd edition to pop up though, well I hope they don't as my sl-1200GLD will not be worth as much but I get a feeling it might happen

chris@panteg
29-01-2011, 00:02
last november i sent an email to Panasonic.uk , today i recieved a reply !

ISSUE RESOLUTION: Dear Mr Evans,

In response, Panasonic has confirmed that it ceased the production of its Technics-branded analogue turntables this autumn.

After more than 35 years as a leading manufacturer of analogue turntables, Panasonic has regretfully taken the decision to leave this market. However, Panasonic will continue to sell headphones under the Technics brand.

We are sure that retailers and consumers will understand that our product range has to reflect the accelerating transformation of the entire audio market from analogue to digital.

In addition, the number of component suppliers serving the analogue market has dwindled in recent years and we brought forward the decision to leave the market rather than risk being unable to fulfil future orders because of a lack of parts.

We trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0844 844 3852 or email us using the following email address:

Kind regards
Mark Solesbury
Panasonic UK Ltd

PUK (Registered Number 01069148 England) Registered Office: Panasonic UK Ltd, Willoughby Road, Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 8FP
Having trouble locating an Accessory or Consumable item.?
Why not try our Web site at
www.pas-europe.com
or by telephone
Customer Care 0844 844 3852

Thats it then .

Alex_UK
29-01-2011, 00:26
Wow - so that REALLY is the end, then. R.I.P. Techie TTs... :(

chris@panteg
29-01-2011, 00:40
Hi Alex

When you consider , at one time Technics had such a vast range ' take a look at the 84-85 catalogue on the VE library for example !

Now all that's left is a handful of headphones .

Techno Commander
29-01-2011, 01:01
That sucks. Technics were one of the best for hi fi back in the 80s.

Spectral Morn
29-01-2011, 08:19
last november i sent an email to Panasonic.uk , today i recieved a reply !

ISSUE RESOLUTION: Dear Mr Evans,

In response, Panasonic has confirmed that it ceased the production of its Technics-branded analogue turntables this autumn.

After more than 35 years as a leading manufacturer of analogue turntables, Panasonic has regretfully taken the decision to leave this market. However, Panasonic will continue to sell headphones under the Technics brand.

We are sure that retailers and consumers will understand that our product range has to reflect the accelerating transformation of the entire audio market from analogue to digital.

In addition, the number of component suppliers serving the analogue market has dwindled in recent years and we brought forward the decision to leave the market rather than risk being unable to fulfil future orders because of a lack of parts.

Kind regards
Mark Solesbury
Panasonic UK Ltd

PUK (Registered Number 01069148 England) Registered Office: Panasonic UK Ltd, Willoughby Road, Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 8FP
Having trouble locating an Accessory or Consumable item.?
Why not try our Web site at
www.pas-europe.com
or by telephone
Customer Care 0844 844 3852

Thats it then .

AIHFA got an identical email yesterday.

Regards D S D L

Reid Malenfant
29-01-2011, 12:17

MCRU
30-01-2011, 22:25
Show's how shit their after sales service is though doesn't it!

Spectral Morn
30-01-2011, 22:34
Yes its not very good imho.

I send three emails and the reply I got came very late....its now worthless to me.

I suppose it may be because AIHFA is a still a small title (though thousands of readers in 97 countries isn't that small imo) However customers and potential customers have also got late replies.

Regards D S D L

MartinT
30-01-2011, 22:42
RIP Technics SL-12xx, we salute you.

So now I have a collectible?

Barry
30-01-2011, 22:47
RIP Technics SL-12xx, we salute you.

So now I have a collectible?

Oh yes - you join the honourable ranks of Garrard, Thorens, EMT, Nagra and Studer owners. Not to mention the Leak, Quad, Radford etc. valve amps.

MartinT
31-01-2011, 04:51
I still have my Leak Stereo 20 in storage. Too good to let go.

Epicurus
31-01-2011, 10:09
Don't come to me with offers for my Techie; I'm so NOT selling it. It's a keeper.

Marco
31-01-2011, 11:16
Fret ye not, brothers, there are still tens of thousands of our beloved Techies in circulation, worldwide (and quite a few still in stock with some suppliers), so the highly modified SL-1200/1210 will continue to make an impact on the hi-end T/T scene for many years to come....

If anything, all its discontinuation has achieved is to increase the desirability of owning a turntable that in time will become genuinely collectable, which in turn I'm sure will have a positive impact on the willingness of T/T enthusiasts to buy it for modifying.

Looking at the bigger picture, this is actually good news - it's no longer a 'ten-a-penny DJ deck'! :eyebrows:

Thus the direct-drive revolution continues unabated and will remain a thorn in the side for the pro-belt drive protagonists with commercial interests to protect - ho ho, too bad... :upyours:

So rest assured that on AoS we will continue to champion the direct-drive approach with the same passion and enthusiasm as ever!!

Marco.

Spectral Morn
31-01-2011, 11:37
Fret ye not, brothers, there are still tens of thousands of our beloved Techies in circulation, worldwide (and quite a few still in stock with some suppliers), so the highly modified SL-1200/1210 will continue to make an impact on the hi-end T/T scene for many years to come.... :eyebrows:

If anything, all its discontinuation has achieved is to increase the desirability of owning a turntable that in time will become genuinely collectable, which in turn I'm sure will have a positive impact on the willingness of T/T enthusiasts to buy them for modifying.

Looking at the bigger picture, this is actually good news - it's no longer a 'ten-a-penny DJ deck'! :eyebrows:

Thus the direct-drive revolution continues unabated and will remain a thorn in the side for the pro-belt drive protagonists with commercial interests to protect - ho ho, too bad... :upyours:

And so rest assured that on AoS we will continue to champion the direct-drive approach with the same passion and enthusiasm as ever!!

Marco.

....and to that, in one loud voice the congregation said.....Amen !

Regards D S D L

Marco
31-01-2011, 11:54
We will now kneel, brothers, for some short prayers, and pay homage to one of the finest inventions of the 20th century.... :youtheman:

:eyebrows:

Thank you. I now feel it's appropriate to remind everyone of the entry in Wiki for SL-1200:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_SL-1200 ...noting this erudite observation.....

At the London Science Museum, Technics SL-1210 is on display as one of the pieces of technology that have shaped the world we live in.

Indeed. And long may she boogie like a b*stard! :rave:

Marco.

MartinT
31-01-2011, 12:11
I shall light two candles for mine and practice some 'ommmms'.

Techno Commander
31-01-2011, 12:34
one of the finest inventions of the 21st century.... :youtheman:
Marco.

Dont you mean 20th Century?:)

Marco
31-01-2011, 12:44
Aye, that one too! ;)

Marco.

Techno Commander
31-01-2011, 12:46
:lol:

bobp
31-01-2011, 16:10
I can understand Panasonic decision to stop production of 1200.
But for the life of me I could not understand why they allowed Technics brand to evaporate. This brand was worth billions.

Panasonic was and always will be a brand associated with household products. Mediocre ones at best.

Many years ago, the flagship products of defunt American hifi manufacturers were kept as trophies in the boardrooms of Japanese conglomerates as inspirational tools.

Now, the victors fell on their own sword, out of sheer stupidity.

Techno Commander
31-01-2011, 16:23
I guess shifting their market position from a purveyor of high quality audio products into a maker of cheap mini systems did nothing to help their situatuion. Unfortunately, too many makers jumped on to that particular band wagon and tried to convince everyone that a small cheap system was all that was needed. In doing so, they removed their own customers from the market with the inevitable results.

Reid Malenfant
31-01-2011, 17:09
Panasonic was and always will be a brand associated with household products. Mediocre ones at best.
What - are you for real? :eek:

You are kidding & apologies for the thread drift :steam:

They made some of the best CRT TVs ever (acuity), they are still producing some of the worlds best Plasma TVs. Their blu ray players kick more arse per pound than any others.

All there stuff is as reliable as anyone could ever wish for & you call it mediocre? :mental:

I'll be happy watching blu ray's on my mediocre Panny BD player later :cool:

colinB
31-01-2011, 17:19
The kids are not buying TTs any more but they are realizing the Apple headphone buds are shit and so they are buying cool looking cans ( they all have those Dr Dre monster beats in London.)
Technics do some cool looking headphones for the Mp3 market that are selling like hotcakes in the US.
From a commercial point of view its easy to see why they have changed the product line up.

Ali Tait
31-01-2011, 17:55
What - are you for real? :eek:

You are kidding & apologies for the thread drift :steam:

They made some of the best CRT TVs ever (acuity), they are still producing some of the worlds best Plasma TVs. Their blu ray players kick more arse per pound than any others.

All there stuff is as reliable as anyone could ever wish for & you call it mediocre? :mental:

I'll be happy watching blu ray's on my mediocre Panny BD player later :cool:

Agreed, my mate has a Viera 42" and it is superb. Years ago I had a Panny cassette walkman which was a great sounding piece of kit, and it did many years of sterling service till some twat nicked it!

MartinT
31-01-2011, 19:09

Agreed about the Technics brand but I don't agree with your statement above. What about their Viera plasma TVs, for instance? Or their Lumix cameras? Hardly mediocre.

mike1210
31-01-2011, 20:45
I also disagree and used to work in the R&D dept in Cardiff years ago. Quality products

DSJR
31-01-2011, 21:09
The Technics brand was deliberately pretty well abandoned around fifteen years ago from memory.

bobp
01-02-2011, 15:36
Agreed about the Technics brand but I don't agree with your statement above. What about their Viera plasma TVs, for instance? Or their Lumix cameras? Hardly mediocre.

It was not my intention to start a flame or to dis any brand, only to state the facts. 80% of all needs/requirements can be accomplished with 20% engineering effort. To fulfill the remaining 20% requires 80% effort. The first group iof producs is called mediocre, the second exceptional.

I've been lifelong user of Matsushita Denki products, and products are good, reliable and solid value for money.

Panasonic products are solid, but not exceptional. The last exceptional products for Panasonic were Hifi VCRs. They ruled the market with JVC. Yes, I still have mentioned Tau CRT HDTV. It is second genereation behemoth.
It has an exceptional CRT and works wonderfully with external pre/pro. But not on its own with it's own built in electronics. It's successor (last Pana
CRT HDTV model) was made by heavy corner cutting and was a rip-off.

Panasonic licenses Leica name for it's Lumix line but the name alone does not make it a Leica, like an aligator logo did not turn Izod into Lacoste quality.
Panasonic Lumix is good product for the money, but hardly exceptional.
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/dpp/lumix-leica.htm
(Leica is exceptional)

Ditto for plasma panels. Pioneer Kuro was exceptional. Panasonic Viera is Black Level issue. Not exceptional by any standard, especialy by one of being honest with the customer before he/she purchase the product.

Last but not least, Class D receivers. Panasonic made some exceptional models (SA-XR45, SA-XR70) , then replaced them with inferior products
and then killed the line alltoghether.

What I had in mind is brand positioning. Matsushita decided to kill Technics
brand and decide to prop up Sanyo. Sanyo is good product line, but hardly exceptional. On other hand, Technics brand was for Panasonic what Lexus is for Toyota. Perhaps it was too much to sustain.

I would like to learn how Technics brand was handled in Japan in the last 15 years, becase many things are done differenly there.

Once again, apologies to anyone who took my words on Pana personally.