PDA

View Full Version : polarity of dc plug?

kininigin
21-10-2010, 15:42
If i have a cable which is soldered to a pcb labled positve would i need to solder the inner sleeve or the outer sleeve of a dc plug?

Reid Malenfant
21-10-2010, 15:49
I'd suggest you check the PSU output to see which the positive connection is ;) Mostly they are wired with the centre pin as positive in which case you'd want to solder it to the centre.

Please check your PSU before messing up though ;)

Techno Commander
21-10-2010, 16:09
I have seen different polarities from different makers. Check with a meter before doing anything.

kininigin
21-10-2010, 16:24
I'd suggest you check the PSU output to see which the positive connection is ;) Mostly they are wired with the centre pin as positive in which case you'd want to solder it to the centre.

Please check your PSU before messing up though ;)

Im trying to fit a timestep psu which was bought second hand which means that the original dc lead is with the previous owner i have no idea how to check the psu output.

I have no experience really with this sort of thing if i post a link to a different thread maybe that we help.http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8118

Reid Malenfant
21-10-2010, 16:36
No, the link doesn't help sorry.

I guess the Timestep are all made the same? If so find out which pin is positive, there must be enough people on here that can tell you :)

kininigin
21-10-2010, 16:43
No, the link doesn't help sorry.

I guess the Timestep are all made the same? If so find out which pin is positive, there must be enough people on here that can tell you :)

you'd think but no one seems to be able to shed any light on the matter.

I've been sat hear with a disasembled 1200 for a few hours waiting to connect two cables it's starting to make me annoyed :(

The Vinyl Adventure
21-10-2010, 16:46
There is only one way to wire it... The one with the hole soldere in the end is attached under one of the three pcb mount screws and the other bare wire is soldered to the jump wire next to the lamp socket opposite the regulator

kininigin
21-10-2010, 16:50
There is only one way to wire it... The one with the hole soldere in the end is attached under one of the three pcb mount screws and the other bare wire is soldered to the jump wire next to the lamp socket opposite the regulator

hi hamish,

that's not the end im trying to figure out,it's the end which plugs into the timestep which was bought secondhand so the original dc lead is still attached to his technics and im trying to fit a new plug to a new cable.

Reid Malenfant
21-10-2010, 16:52
Hamish, do you know which pin on the output socket of the Timestep is positive? Is it the centre pin or the outer sleeve?

The Vinyl Adventure
21-10-2010, 16:53
Ah, I see, well I don't know whether the pin or the outer bit on the plug is positive ...

The Vinyl Adventure
21-10-2010, 16:54
Nope... You would need a meter to find out I think

kininigin
21-10-2010, 17:02
looks like im ringing my sparky mate then,lukily he lives down the road.

Rare Bird
21-10-2010, 17:46
I dont believe i'm seeing this topic :lolsign:

kininigin
21-10-2010, 18:04
I dont believe i'm seeing this topic :lolsign:

would you care to enlighten me as to what you find so funny.

i don't want to start messing around with psu's if it's going to be dangerous getting something wrong.

Recoil
22-10-2010, 12:20
i don't want to start messing around with psu's if it's going to be dangerous getting something wrong.

I'm glad you've talked this kind of sense into yourself, for i don't know why you want to mess around in a PSU when you don't even own a multimeter. (NOFI!)

HighFidelityGuy
22-10-2010, 14:22
I'd definitely get your sparky mate on the job. Better safe than sorry.
Failing that, give Dave a call: http://www.soundhifi.com/ He knows a thing or two about Timesteps. :)